Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Keith Whitley

dirttrackdemon3 Guest

Kieth Whitley

for those who dont know, he was a country singer who died in 1989 of alcohol poisioning. he was married to lorrie morgan, she's a singer too, though i havent heard of her in awhile. anyone know much about his last days? i heard he was a party animal and drank most folks under the table.

RoRo Guest
    Lorrie Morgan used to tie her leg to his so she would know when he was getting out of bed to go drink...She is a witch, but she really did try to save him

Tugboat25 Guest
    Keith Whitley had a really good voice.
    "When You Say Nothing At All" was a good song but unfortunately Alison Krauss thought she could do it better.........she couldn't.

Guest Guest
    Don't close your eyes is a great song. Kind of a tear jerker, well for me anyways. He was a great singer. There was a rumor going around saying he comitted suicide, no that's not true. He drunk himself to death, literally. His alchohol level was 5 times higher then that of the legal driving limit.

atlantis Guest
    In Lorrie Morgan's book (I forget the name) she said that on a plane ride back from England (???) a band member came and sat beside her and told her that she should know Keith had drank his cologne b/c he was so desperate for alcohol. He had been put on alcohol watch by Lorrie. That should give you an idea how hardcore he was about his drinking. Conway Twitty's son, Michael, was one of Keith's drinking buddies. They raised all kinds of hell around Nashville. Michael, who is also a singer, sang at Keith's funeral. I agree that Keith had a fantastic voice. But his demons got the best of him. Lorrie also said that she still has suspicions about the night he died. I can't remember what she meant, but she said some things didn't add up. It's in her book.

atlantis Guest
    I don't believe he killed himself. He accidentally drank himself to death with a bottle of vodka in the tub. But we weren't there and we don't know what he was thinking so who knows? Bless his heart.

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Lorrie Morgan's book is called Forever Yours, Faithfully: My Love Story

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
    In Lorrie Morgan's book (I forget the name) she said that on a plane ride back from England (???) a band member came and sat beside her and told her that she should know Keith had drank his cologne b/c he was so desperate for alcohol. He had been put on alcohol watch by Lorrie. That should give you an idea how hardcore he was about his drinking. Conway Twitty's son, Michael, was one of Keith's drinking buddies. They raised all kinds of hell around Nashville. Michael, who is also a singer, sang at Keith's funeral. I agree that Keith had a fantastic voice. But his demons got the best of him. Lorrie also said that she still has suspicions about the night he died. I can't remember what she meant, but she said some things didn't add up. It's in her book.
    It goes to show you the power of addiction.
    It's especially evident if you're married to the Hot (at the time) Lorrie Morgan and you'd rather find comfort in a bottle.

Darrianne Guest
    Ricky Skaggs and friends did a tribute album to Keith - I have it and it is good. There is a song on there called "His Voice Rings True" or something like that - that they wrote about Keith. Really pretty.

BamaDeathHag Guest
    I loved Keith Whitley's music and still do....I saw Lorrie Morgan in concert a few years ago and was standing by her tour bus and she walked right past my friend and I and she acted as if she could care less that some of her fans were out there....she seemed to be a really stuck up person; and it has always amazed me how much she talks about how much she loved Keith, but yet she sure has been remarried plenty of times since his death.....Keith and Lorrie's son Jessie is grown now and I wonder if he's anything like his Dad? Anybody know??

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaDeathHag View Post
    ...she acted as if she could care less that some of her fans were out there
    Somehow I've always had that impression of Lorrie Morgan.

KristinEileen Guest
    Lorrie is currently married to Sammy Kershaw, another country singer...but before that she dated Troy Aikman for a long period of time, and Fred Thompson the guy from Law and Order who is running for president and has cancer...No word on how their son Jessie is, but she does have another child from another relationship, a girl named Morgan...I always thought that Lorrie was messed up...i just didnt know how bad....

RoRo Guest
    Morgan's dad is a guy named Ron something he was in george Jones band ..not sure if he still is

MPetro108 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KristinEileen View Post
    Lorrie is currently married to Sammy Kershaw, another country singer...but before that she dated Troy Aikman for a long period of time, and Fred Thompson the guy from Law and Order who is running for president and has cancer...No word on how their son Jessie is, but she does have another child from another relationship, a girl named Morgan...I always thought that Lorrie was messed up...i just didnt know how bad....

I just read today that she has filed for divorce from Sammy. We're neighbors!! I live in Allentown, work in Bethlehem

Quote Originally Posted by MPetro108 View Post
    I just read today that she has filed for divorce from Sammy. We're neighbors!! I live in Allentown, work in Bethlehem
    Again? Her and Sammy are always fighting. This one will probably blow over like the rest of them.

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Has Lorrie really done anything lately? What does she even look like now? I did a search for her and came up with all the old photos from her hey day. She was a hottie in her time!

Jake Guest

Keith Whitley

Hey Y'all,

I'm new to the forum but have been a death hag for a couple of years now. Love the site.

Scott, have you ever heard of country singer Keith Whitley? He had a tragic death of alcohol overdose back in 1989. I always thought it would be a good entry on the site. He was married to singer Lorrie Morgan who went onto become one of country music's female superstars in the 90's. In her autobiography "Forever Yours, Faithfully" released back in 1997 she went into great detail about his death.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Hey Y'all,

I'm new to the forum but have been a death hag for a couple of years now. Love the site.

Scott, have you ever heard of country singer Keith Whitley? He had a tragic death of alcohol overdose back in 1989. I always thought it would be a good entry on the site. He was married to singer Lorrie Morgan who went onto become one of country music's female superstars in the 90's. In her autobiography "Forever Yours, Faithfully" released back in 1997 she went into great detail about his death.
    I'm sure she did. Didn't everyone hate her for a long time & accuse her of riding his dead coattails?

Jaxxx Guest
    I know I hated her and accused her of riding alot of coattails, she makes me sick

Hawk Guest
    I'm a hardcore country music fan and I rank Keith Whitley as one of the best.

Excellent songwriter, real country music.....

I saw an interview with Lorrie Morgan once, she said that Keith was a binge drinker, he would go for months not drinking at all, and then just go on a major bender for awhile and drink like he didn't know when to stop.

Jaxxx Guest
    I want to add that I also think Keith was one of country's best all time recording artist, he was just sick, and it killed him, I still don't like Lorrie Morgan, my dad didn't like George her father,so it must be a family tradition

xenaswolf Guest
    I LOVED I'm no stranger to the rain. I remember when he died, I cried for a week.
    Jaxxx, I must be in your family, I can't stand her either!

I thought KW was a good singer, but I wasn't a huge fan. His death was tragic. Lorrie... has issues. I was just telling my husband the other day that Sammy Kershaw at least seemed normal until he married her.

I do remember what first turned me off about Lorrie. She and Keith were on some show on TNN, back when it *was* TNN. Their son, Jesse, was a baby, and they had brought him out for a minute, or something, and he was crying. Lorrie sent him backstage with the babysitter/nanny/whatever, and the host asked if she wanted to go and see about him, and she said no, it wouldn't hurt him to cry. Maybe that's unfair, but I haven't felt the same about her since.
    Last edited by madeline; 12-31-2007 at 11:52 AM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by madeline View Post
    I thought KW was a good singer, but I wasn't a huge fan. His death was tragic. Lorrie... has issues. I was just telling my husband the other day that Sammy Kershaw at least seemed normal until he married her.

I do remember what first turned me off about Lorrie. She and Keith were on some show on TNN, back when it *was* TNN. Their son, Jesse, was a baby, and they had brought him out for a minute, or something, and he was crying. Lorrie sent him backstage with the babysitter/nanny/whatever, and the host asked if she wanted to go and see about him, and she said no, it wouldn't hurt him to cry. Maybe that's unfair, but I haven't felt the same about her since.
    I don't like her, & although it's easy to dislike someone more when they do certain things, it really doesn't hurt a baby to cry. There are loads of other reasons to hate that skank. j/k

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Nobody I know who lives in Nashville likes her. I heard she had an affair with Bill Clinton!

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny Mulhenny View Post
    Nobody I know who lives in Nashville likes her. I heard she had an affair with Bill Clinton!
    Ha! Who hasn't? She's really gotten around. I was covered in creepy crawlies when she dated Troy Aikman.

Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    I don't like her, & although it's easy to dislike someone more when they do certain things, it really doesn't hurt a baby to cry. There are loads of other reasons to hate that skank. j/k
    LOL! Very true.

magblax Guest
    Sad! Here is a report on his death...by alcohol overdose!..What an aweful way to go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaX47BijfPU

Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    Sad! Here is a report on his death...by alcohol overdose!..What an aweful way to go! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaX47BijfPU
    Yeah, because your liver shuts down and you drown in your own blood - with is actually coming out of all your orifices. What a mess to clean up!

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Yeah, because your liver shuts down and you drown in your own blood - with is actually coming out of all your orifices. What a mess to clean up!
    Heard of an older relative that died this way...the blood was like black tar.

Jaxxx Guest
    Unfortunately so did my dad, but it is what it is

RoRo Guest
    Loved Keith, but hate her!
    There's no telling how far he would have went in music if he hadn't been so sick and anyone who drinks like that is sick..she should have had him put into treatment

Jake Guest
    Hey, glad to see that some of you liked Keith. I am a fan of his music but have to admit that I am a bigger fan of Lorrie. I think Keith was the love of her life. I know many people don't like her but she did love him. Her book is mainly about her life with him. I have to give her credit for putting up with him for she really tried to help him but couldn't since nobody could. He had to help himself but just never could. He had a dark side to him that Lorrie went into great detail about. The reason she was not with him when he passed was due to promoting her first major album. She had put off going on tour a couple of times because of him. I highly recommend that every Keith fan should read her book then may like her a little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by RoRo View Post
    There's no telling how far he would have went in music if he hadn't been so sick and anyone who drinks like that is sick..she should have had him put into treatment

She and RCA (his record label at the time of his death) tried to get Keith into rehab many times....without success....

Have any pics of Keith in his casket ever surfaced anywhere? I find it very strange that there's not a lot of info 'bout his death on the 'net, although the most complete account we'll ever get appeared in Lorrie's autobiography "Forever Yours, Faithfully" a few years ago...I still have the book and read it from time to time....
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 01-02-2008 at 06:11 AM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetsumthin View Post
    Don't close your eyes is a great song. Kind of a tear jerker, well for me anyways. He was a great singer. There was a rumor going around saying he comitted suicide, no that's not true. He drunk himself to death, literally. His alcohol level was 5 times higher then that of the legal driving limit.

Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    "When You Say Nothing At All" was a good song but unfortunately Alison Krauss thought she could do it better.........she couldn't.
    I agree...Allison's version sucks....

Lorrie Morgan used to tie her leg to his so she would know when he was getting out of bed to go drink...She is a witch, but she really did try to save him
    She, RCA, his family...everyone who loved him tried to help him...but to no avail....

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackdemon3 View Post
    for those who dont know, he was a country singer who died in 1989 of alcohol poisioning. he was married to lorrie morgan, she's a singer too, though i havent heard of her in awhile. anyone know much about his last days? i heard he was a party animal and drank most folks under the table.
    I'm wondering 'bout his final days myself...there doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there....

EDIT: I just found some news footage of Keith's funeral here: Keith Whitley's Funeral
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 01-03-2008 at 04:27 PM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post

Holy crap!

What a visual that is!!!!

xenaswolf Guest
    dang you tube removed the videos

tuesdays_jupiter Guest

agreed... but then I think she is the most overrated voice in music today

joey6ixx Guest
    an unreleased song from a recording session was called "I've Done Everything Hank Did But Die". According to wikipedia, you can find the track on bootlegs.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ETXFNg5et9g&feature=related
    Last edited by joey6ixx; 04-14-2008 at 05:40 AM. Reason: adding a link.

Where the hell have I been? I didn't know he was dead.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

interrestedintn Guest
    OMG! lol.....he's been dead forever. I can't believe you didn't know. That's funny. Glad to know I'm not the only one in the dark about these things sometimes.
    I really liked Keith Whitley. I don't know a lot about him though. I just know he sung a lot of sad songs and was probably unhappy because he married that hag (no offense to death hags). She's a hag in the literal sense. He wrote that song, tell lori I love her before he died. So sad.
    She married Sammy Kershaw. I guess he made her the queen of his double wide trailer. She just reminds me of a trashy old road whore.

Deathgoddess Guest
    I love Keith Whitley, when i was growing up my Dad was a BIG fan, so i knew all of his songs. To me Lorrie seems like she has been rode hard and put up wet, kind of a rough around the edges woman.

Keith drank himself to death, it had nothing to do with her. But i have always loved that song "tell Lorrie i love her", seems like a heartfelt love song. I am SOOOO going to get her book though, sounds like it is pretty interesting

I'm no Alison Krauss fan, but I feel compelled to point out that she recorded that song as part of the KW tribute album, not necessarily because she thought she could do it better.....

NOVSTORM Guest

She couldn't have put him for treatment. You have to have 3 shrinks to declare you incompetent. She was not responsible for his drinking. Keith was an adult alcoholic, he is to blamefor his own death not Lorrie Morgan.
    He was a great singer for sure but apparently the booze had a strong hold on him. Lorrie is OK the problem is people always blame others for someone elses addiction problems as people have blamed her for Keiths.
    I heard that she doesn't mingle with the crowds because there is always some one in the crowd that hates her because of his dying and says nasty crap to her. How much of that can any person take?

Quote Originally Posted by interrestedintn View Post
    OMG! lol.....he's been dead forever. I can't believe you didn't know. That's funny. Glad to know I'm not the only one in the dark about these things sometimes.
    I really liked Keith Whitley. I don't know a lot about him though. I just know he sung a lot of sad songs and was probably unhappy because he married that hag (no offense to death hags). She's a hag in the literal sense. He wrote that song, tell lori I love her before he died. So sad.
    She married Sammy Kershaw. I guess he made her the queen of his double wide trailer. She just reminds me of a trashy old road whore.

Apart from her looks (especially back when she was dating and married to Keith), I've never been a big fan of Lorrie but I think she gets a bad deal from the fans. Keith loved Lorrie dearly and vice versa and she tried many times (unsuccessfully, as did his family and the people at RCA) to get him into treatment. They tried it and it failed...

Keith was his own worst enemy....

interrestedintn Guest
    I guess it would be hard having all his fans blame you for his death. It really is hard when you break up with someone and they die still in love with you and their family blames you for them not having a very happy life. I had this happen to me. The guilt really hurts you even if you know that the person wouldn't have been any happier if they'd had you.....they just stayed miserable thinking that they would.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by interrestedintn View Post
    I guess it would be hard having all his fans blame you for his death. It really is hard when you break up with someone and they die still in love with you and their family blames you for them not having a very happy life. I had this happen to me. The guilt really hurts you even if you know that the person wouldn't have been any happier if they'd had you.....they just stayed miserable thinking that they would.

Yup wore that shirt for a while and decided it didn't fit. If they were so damn happy with you and they kept on drinking or drugging? BS let them blame someone else for their own short comings.

interrestedintn Guest
    Yeah, only once they're dead, their family has no one left to blame but you.......that's how I felt about it anyway. I guess they can't see that maybe you wouldn't have left this person had they cared enough about you while you were there to stop doping it up.

RoRo Guest
    Trust me she could have found 3 shrinks to to do that easily...you don't know how Nashville works, the "stars" here have alot of pull with folks.....and I don't think she was to blame for his death ...I hate her cuz she is a big old bitch...plain and simple...I met her ex several times and heard his and others opinions of her. She and her dad were not the best liked in Nashville. She doesn't mingle cuz she is stuck up...have seen her at several fan things in Nashville and she is always the same......bitch.....I like her singing, just not her personality.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    She couldn't have put him for treatment. You have to have 3 shrinks to declare you incompetent. She was not responsible for his drinking. Keith was an adult alcoholic, he is to blamefor his own death not Lorrie Morgan.
    He was a great singer for sure but apparently the booze had a strong hold on him. Lorrie is OK the problem is people always blame others for someone elses addiction problems as people have blamed her for Keiths.
    I heard that she doesn't mingle with the crowds because there is always some one in the crowd that hates her because of his dying and says nasty crap to her. How much of that can any person take?

Historia Guest
    I am new here, but I found this.

Here is a song written about Whitley's death:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L05QPHzKVQc

an all-star tribute:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=dz42u0UCRWI

and here is a radio report of his death that gives details known at the time:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=L0kPeN_Y8bE&feature=related

A report on his legacy:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=t4wkHZj9GIw
    Last edited by Historia; 06-25-2008 at 03:11 AM.