Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zodiac

kelbons Guest

Zodiac

[SIZE=4]I haven't seen a thread yet on the Zodiac killer... do you think it will ever be solved, or do you think the killer has died?[/SIZE]

dirttrackdemon3 Guest
    i dont know, but i did see the latest movie about him. it was good i thought, but kinda left me wanting more. the zodiac was creepy as hell. didnt the main suspect die or something? could turn out to be like the BTK killer....

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    zodiackiller.com

You have to go there if you have any interest in this case.

Batmama Guest
    I honestly think this case could have been solved.It's pretty obvious from what I've read that the guy was in the military.I think if they had focused their manhunt on the Presidio more they most likely would have found him.

hoxharding Guest
    I was reading one of the books by Robert Graysmith and questiones bits of it, Like about how a shabbily dressed man walked past and saw the Zodiac call using a coin phone. Then the Zodiac leaved and the phone rings, so the guy hangs it up and vanishes into the night.
    I didn't see any source for this.
    Plus, I looked up Graysmith and found his writings are questioned. Not to mention
    he was so detailed about the clothing I felt there was going to be a written test after each chapter.

Uncle Milte's Huge Wanger Guest
    I had the same idea. I emailed the guy that does the case now but I guess they either give it no credence or have thought of it already (he is a civilian that runs that zodiackiller website). Anyways, the zodiac used encryption, wore military boots, had a crewcut, and military-issued type glasses. The Navy's crytologic training school was located right there where the killings took place. And the killings suddenly stopped, just like they would if the guy got stationed somewhere else. Oh well, I guess they looked into it already.

Yeah, that movie, The Zodiac leave people with the false impression that guy they were zeroing in on, was him - when it wasn't.

Graysmith really embellished a lot in his book - determined to be the one who "solved" the whodunnit.

And the movie was really dramatized by Hollywood standards, since in real life, Graysmith and the guy Robert Downey played - were NOT all buddy-buddy like that.

I found it an entertaining movie, but not the truth.

Actually I think the Zodiac died a long time ago. He was the type of guy who liked having attention and all has been quiet for many years.

Unless he's like the BTK killer and decides to come of hiding after so many years and out himself again.

knothere Guest
    if he came out of hiding lol he'd b too old n frail to shoot a gun
    na he's dead
    even serial killers got die sumtime

Daphne Guest
    I was a child in the bay area when the Zodiac thing was going on, the *THEORY* is he was some guy who ended up living in Santa Rosa and died of old age, however I doubt anyone will every really know

Lisamarie Guest
    I had to stop reading the book I was reading on him cause I was home alond and it was freakin me out...I always feel so bad for the couple picnicing and he came up with that Godawful mask and stabbed them...I mean he tells them Im gonna have to stab you and the man says well you will have to stab her first cause I couldent stand to see her hurt(thanks allot!) or something like that and he starts knifing them!! It would hurt so bad!! That is a worst nightmare!! I have always wonderd if indeed he was a military man....it might explain allot...anyones else think the taxi cab driver was weird?? It almost like he lost his touch or getting sloppy.

Ms. K Guest
    I've read Graysmith's books, and no, I don't think that Arthur Leigh Allen is, or was, rather, the Zodiac Killer.

I've always wondered if the killer had roots in the Manson Family, to be honest. No, I'm not so totally sure that Zodiac is Bruce Davis, but I have to think that the killer knew the Family. Just something about the crimes that makes me think he either was a member of the Family, or knew them well.

I don't think it will ever be solved. And, I do think that by now, Zodiac is dead. Otherwise, he would have come out of hiding and played with SFPD, Vallejo PD, and the general public some more, because Graysmith credited Arthur Leigh Allen with his crimes.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    if he came out of hiding lol he'd b too old n frail to shoot a gun
    na he's dead
    even serial killers got die sumtime
    Zodiac would most likely be in his 60's now, certainly not too old to hold a gun, nor too old to use it. I think he's still around--I don't want to think he's still around, but for some reason I do.
    I now live 2 blocks from where Paul Stine, the S.F. cab driver, was killed, just off the Presidio. As a former poster mentioned, the connection to the Presidio and the military was so obvious as to be painful...S.F.P.D. didn't see it that way...no further comment necessary!

Sock Puppet Guest
    I think the police got very close to the Zodiac, and the Zodiac fled. He changed his M.O. for killing after that, so the Zodiac killings "stopped". He could very well be in prison for murders that seemed unrelated to the original Zodiac killings but were actually done by the same guy. Or he could just be dead, and since no one knew he was the Zodiac killer, his death was entirely unremarkable in such a big city, just another fatal car accident on the city's blotter or another heart attack in the overflowing hospital morgue.

RoRo Guest
    I hope he's dead but one never really knows like sock puppet says he may have moved and changed his m.o.

Boxofpandoraz Guest

Murderer Uses Zodiac Signature...

I did a search for the victims name and found nothing, but if there is already another thread, my apologies to the mods and please merge...

I just found it fascinating that the murderer in this case used the same taunting letter style and the same cross and circle signature that the Zodiac used.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/letter-...238x1200225728

Vamp Guest
    How horrible! Copy cat creep.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vamp View Post
    How horrible! Copy cat creep.
    He's not the first...Nor the last, I fear.

Last I read about the Zodiac case, the San Francisco Chronicle had recieved another letter from someone claiming to be the original.

People are going to attempt to follow the Zodiac's footsteps...Sad, but true. He is one of the only murderers who is still at large, even after all these years.

Anyone who would refer to the Zodiac as their "role-model" has some issues to work out.

Lita Guest
    If the real Zodiac killer is still alive, he's going to be pissed! It seems there is a rash of pregnant soldiers being killed instead of "just" civilian women.

NOVSTORM Guest
    A lawyer I used to work with was on the SFPD at this time and was part of the tem investigating the ZOdiac. One of the other cops on the case wrote a letter signing it as if the Z wrote it. Of course he got busted for it, but before he even did that, I always felt that whomever the Z was, he was either a retired cop or an active duty cop. I always thought the reason they did not catch him was because he wsa privy to all the info about how they were handling the case. What is really weird is my first FIL looked jsut like the guy, from the hair to his build and face. I cannot remember what yr my FIL died but it was around the time that the Z disappeared LOL I remember seeing that sketch and thinking OMG.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    If the real Zodiac killer is still alive, he's going to be pissed! It seems there is a rash of pregnant soldiers being killed instead of "just" civilian women.
    I think the Z is dead or in jail. He is pretty old by now if he is still alive. I just wonder if this is not a copy at killing in a way because of the other Marine being murdered and maybe this killing is trying to throw doubt on the Marine that killed the one he raped and murdered??

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I think the Z is dead or in jail. He is pretty old by now if he is still alive. I just wonder if this is not a copy at killing in a way because of the other Marine being murdered and maybe this killing is trying to throw doubt on the Marine that killed the one he raped and murdered??
    I'm not getting the copy cat vibe from this so much as the fact that the guy referred to Z as his "role-model" in his letter, and used the cross and circle not only in his letter, but on the bathroom mirror at the crime scene. It's more of a tribute, as far as I see it, as horrible as that sounds.

May be an attempt to throw the cops off of the real trail....

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Just saw the movie ... the writing at the end of the movie and couldn't read it. GRR. Or I should say, the most recent movie, the one with Jake G as Greysmith. In the movie, they portray one of Z's only survivors as meeting someone who showed him some pictures, and the guy chose the picture of Arthur Leigh (?) as the one who had shot him. This was after Greysmith had his book published.

I don't know what to think, but one thing sticks in my mind: BTK had everyone fooled for decades. Active in church and the Scouts, I bet many feel incredibly creeped out that they shared space with a heinous killer that whole time. I'm not saying BTK is Zodiac. I'm saying BTK is proof that a killer can successfully hide for a very long time right under society's nose -- and that is a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kelbons View Post
    [SIZE=4]I haven't seen a thread yet on the Zodiac killer... do you think it will ever be solved, or do you think the killer has died?[/SIZE]
    I think he's dead. I don't know if it will ever be solved, but then I didn't think the Green River killer would ever be caught and he was. So who knows?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Zodiac would most likely be in his 60's now, certainly not too old to hold a gun, nor too old to use it. I think he's still around--I don't want to think he's still around, but for some reason I do.
    I now live 2 blocks from where Paul Stine, the S.F. cab driver, was killed, just off the Presidio. As a former poster mentioned, the connection to the Presidio and the military was so obvious as to be painful...S.F.P.D. didn't see it that way...no further comment necessary!
    I agree with Jack.

People said BTK was dead too.

Look what happened there.

I don't know if he will surface again....Dennis (BTK) certainly wanted to be caught, even after all these years.

Quote Originally Posted by Noor 7ayaty View Post
    Just saw the movie ... the writing at the end of the movie and couldn't read it. GRR. Or I should say, the most recent movie, the one with Jake G as Greysmith. In the movie, they portray one of Z's only survivors as meeting someone who showed him some pictures, and the guy chose the picture of Arthur Leigh (?) as the one who had shot him. This was after Greysmith had his book published.

I don't know what to think, but one thing sticks in my mind: BTK had everyone fooled for decades. Active in church and the Scouts, I bet many feel incredibly creeped out that they shared space with a heinous killer that whole time. I'm not saying BTK is Zodiac. I'm saying BTK is proof that a killer can successfully hide for a very long time right under society's nose -- and that is a scary thought.
    He wasn't the guy. Graysmith wanted to be the one to solve the case so bad and sell a book, he pointed his finger at that guy in the movie. The movie is full of fiction - Graysmith and Downey's character were NOT friends in real life.

There's a whole website dedicated to the Zodiac and dispels all the crap in Graysmith's book.

The Zodiac was an entertaining film, not really based on truth tho...

tuesdays_jupiter Guest
    I tend to agree with the BTK theory. Maybe within the next few years Zodiac with resurface.

Well, I'm shit off at Graysmith. I've always been fascinated by the Zodiac, but for years I didn't have a computer and the copy of G's book was missing from the library. Finally got a computer and bought it on amazon; bought the second book too. I thought it was the defining book. LOL
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

melmoney Guest
    I've always been very interested in this case. It just gets me everytime that they were so close to catching him after the Paul Stine murder but dropped the ball and let him walk away.

Here's a cool Zodiac website:

http://www.zodiackiller.com/

And another one! (which gives the facts and fallacies of Graysmith!)

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/
    Last edited by Aries65; 08-13-2008 at 07:09 AM.

Armcast Guest

Zodiac Killer's Identity And Weapon Uncovered?

From http://cbs13.com/crime/zodiac.killer.kaufman.2.805799.html

Man claims to know Zodiac Killer's identity and has zodiac mask, bloody knife and creepy photos to prove it (Video showing off evidence included)

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) ― The Zodiac Killer attacked at least eight people, terrorizing the Bay Area and taunting police in the 60's and 70's. Thursday, the FBI confirmed to CBS13 they are now running laboratory tests on some items that may link a suspect to the killer.

The evidence was given to the FBI by a Pollock Pines man who also claims he recently found the disguise worn by the Zodiac Killer during one of his attacks.

"The identity of the Zodiac Killer is Jack Tarrance. He's my stepfather," says Dennis Kaufman.

Eight years of Dennis Kaufman's life has been consumed with attempting to prove the only father he's known since he was five-years-old is none other than the Zodiac Killer.

"This a handwriting comparison I did," says Kaufman, showing handwriting samples claiming to be his father's and the Zodiac Killer's, which bear a striking similarity. Similarities Dennis says are no coincidence.

"The composite is a dead ringer," says Kaufman, showing composite sketch of the killer next to his stepfather's -- a resemblance that is undeniable between pictures of Jack Tarrance and descriptions of the zodiac.

Dennis also claims his stepfather, in a taped phone conversation, indirectly admitted being the zodiac killer.

"If I wrote a book and said I think my stepfather is the Zodiac Killer they wouldn't believe me," says Kaufman.

Jack Tarrance died in 2006. Dennis claims that while going through Tarrance's belongings, there were disturbing findings including a knife still covered with what could possibly be dried blood.

"It could be a knife he barbecued with or a knife he murdered someone with," says Kaufman.

Jack also left behind rolls of undeveloped film. Dennis plans to hand over the film to the FBI. On one of the rolls Dennis did develop, there were numerous gruesome images.

"Appeared to be people who were murdered," explains Dennis.

Just recently, Dennis remembered his stepfather asking him several times about the old PA system which led Dennis to take it apart.

"When I first opened it up that did affect me. My heart skipped a couple of beats when I saw it," he says.

The material folded and tucked inside, Dennis believes, may unmask the zodiac killer.

"It was a black hood with a zodiac on it," Dennis explains.

Dennis holds up a black hood with the zodiac sign on it. It's similar to the hood worn during the vicious 1968 Lake Berryessa attack, which is the possible key evidence connecting his stepfather to the killings. He also believes there are dozens more victims which were never linked to the Zodiac, including Dennis' own mother who, he claims, was suffocated.

"She sat there and told me Jack was trying to kill her and I didn't listen. I can only imagine how she felt. Imagine how scary that would be. That is what kept me going this whole time," says Dennis.

The FBI confirmed they are running DNA tests on items that Dennis gave them.

Dennis says there are postage stamps sent to him by his stepfather. Authorities are trying to get DNA profile of Jack Tarrance to compare to A DNA profile of the Zodiac Killer. The FBI told CBS13 they could get those results back any day.

Thanks for the link. Either that is one of the biggest hoaxes ever, or we may be getting some answers.

That hood is creepy.

Anyone else REALLY want to see the photos they couldn't show?

melmoney Guest
    The new leads are intriguing but I'm not holding my breath. There have been many people over the years to come forward and claim their father, brother, uncle, friend, etc. was the Zodaic.

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Okay...

So the guy TOLD his step-father that he suspected him of being the Zodiac Killer.

The guy's mother is dead, and he suspects that his step-father was to blame for that too, so I doubt that was a secret either.

THEN the old dude mentions the P.A. system, so the guy opens it and lo and behold! Evidence!

Unless I hear something from the FBI themselves that says that the blood-trace evidence on that knife matches one of the Zodiac victims, then I'm just more likely to believe that this was a case of a mean old man who was SEVERELY screwing with his step-son's head.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The hood really creeps me out, but somehow this all seems a bit...too easy somehow...and oddly anticlimactic.

I wonder what Graysmith thinks of this guy?

It would be totally cool if it turned out to be him, altho I found it really strange that this guy was handling all the "evidence". Holding the knife by it's handle (oops! there goes the fingerprints!), and also holding the hood up too. Plus those rolls of film don't look like they are from the 60's to early 70's - around the time of the killings. Altho it is interesting there were some dead folks on one roll.

I guess we'll find out if he's the guy, or maybe some lucky kid got a hood from Goodwill way back when to wear for Halloween - if it was donated by the killer! Heck, he only wore it once!

NOVSTORM Guest

Pryncis Guest
    Interesting....

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Excellent. I hope they do find out who it is. It looks like a good possibility that this Jack Terrence could be the one! I hope they tell us soon.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    It's all a bit too pat for me...I'll believe it when there's a DNA match...although I'd LOVE for it to be true...all those rolls of film, THAT is very worrisome.
    If this guy was the Zodiac, he killed a lot more people than they gave him 'credit' for.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    agreed Jack

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Creepy

NOVSTORM Guest
    Yes this would out ad end to the mystery that surrounds this guy. There ha to be something of value that this man has found as the FBI wouldn;t be doing DNA and things like that if there was no evidence. Hopefully we find out quickly.

Lita Guest
    Until the Feebies (FBI) confirm that it is him, I'm skeptical. It's too much like the guy who wrote the book about his dad being the Black Dahlia killer. Obviously we know now that the father accused could never have been the Black Dahlia killer. It's very creepy though if he did find the black hood. But also, this is an unexperienced person in handwriting samples. He says that his step-father's and the Zodiac's handwriting is "similar" but until a professional handwriting analyst says it's a match or the DNA comes back a match, I'm not getting my hopes up. They've said for years that the Zodiac killer had either been arrested or died because the killings stopped. But the Green River Killer, Gary Ridgeway, proved that serial killers can slow down and even stop their urge to kill. That could explain why the Zodiac stopped in the 70s. Especially if he married this guy's mother. Ridgeway said his urge to murder was slowed when he was married. I think no matter how old the crimes are, like in the BTK killings (another one who stopped killing) and even Jack the Ripper, I don't think it ever stops until the killer is identified. If they can match DNA from Jack the Ripper how many years later and say "This is who the killer was" anything is possible. I guess we'll see what we see. Keep us updated please!

Lita Guest
    http://www.zodiackiller.com/discus/messages/27/786.html

I googled Jack Terrance and found this message board. Sounds like the step-son may be a conman looking to make a quick buck. I will have to look at more websites because this is obviously just one side of the story but interesting nevertheless.

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I smell a sasquatch...

STRAIGHT Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by howDIDyouBUYit? View Post
    I smell a sasquatch...
    I do too. Hope it's true but I smell a metophoric rubber suit, fake head and phoney gut's if you know what I mean..

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Stinks like yesterdays hagfish...

Lita Guest
    Pictures of Zodiac and Jack's writing. They look nothing alike to me.

http://thezodiackiller.digitalzones.com/10.jpg

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Humph.

Writing is nothing alike.

Geesh, why would you want to claim your stepdad as the Zodiac Killer?

$$$$$