Thread: Quinn Martin

TheMysterian Guest

Quinn Martin

Quinn Martin (May 22, 1922September 6, 1987[1]), born Irwin Cohn,[2] was one of the most successful American television producers. He had at least one program running in prime time for 21 straight years (from 1959 to 1980), an industry record.[3]
    A 1949 graduate of the University of California, Berkeley,[2] Martin started his career in television as a film editor at MGM, but by the mid-1950's had become an executive producer for Desilu Studios.[3] His first wife, Madelyn Pugh Davis, was one half of the writing team behind Desilu's classic, I Love Lucy.[4]
    In 1960, Martin established his own production company, QM Productions. He sold it in 1978 and worked as an adjunct professor at the University of California, San Diego's Warren College,[3] where he also endowed a chair in Drama.[5] He also established a scholarship for theater arts and communications students at Santa Clara University.[6]
    QM Productions
    The eponymously-named QM Productions produced a string of hit television series during the 1960s and 1970s, including The Fugitive, Twelve O'Clock High, The F.B.I., The Invaders, The Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, and Barnaby Jones. His series were known for their highly stylized format: a prologue featuring a stern-voice narrator to establish the premise; explicitly announced Acts I, II, III, and IV; and an epilogue, again featuring the narrator.[3]
    In 1979, a group of investors purchased QM Productions and subsequently sold it to Taft Broadcasting,[7] which itself has since changed hands, from Worldvision Enterprises to Republic Pictures. Today, Republic and CBS Paramount Television/CBS Studios own ancillary rights to all of QM's library except The F.B.I. (which is owned by both the Martin estate and Warner Bros. Television), with CBS Television Distribution handling TV distribution and Paramount Home Entertainment/CBS DVD handling DVD distribution.[8]

rickenbacker Guest
    (put on your best announcer voice)
    A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION!

I didn't know he died. RIP QM
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

John Connor Guest
    I thought for a sec it was that obnoxious little chick from Family. Quinn Cummings. Say it isn't so thought I.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    I SO remember that...every time I heard it I knew something good was coming on! (especially 'The Invaders'--awesome show).

Bleedstreet Guest
    here ya go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVu0l8fXWaQ

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedstreet View Post
    Very cool! I forgot how jazzy the theme for Street of San Francisco was..LOL and John Ritter was in that episode!

Broomfield,Colorado. Originally from Meriden, CT.
    Oh, please don't get me started on the way all his shows would end! I remember for some reason, when I was very little, I would absolutely FREAK OUT when the hammer would strike the chisel to carve out the QM in the metal block. Just the sound it would make would have me run, screaming from the living room!
    "So many faces in and out of my life. Some will last, some will just be now and then. Life is a series of Hellos and Goodbyes, I'm afraid it's time for Goodbye again. "

bunny Guest
    Oh man I forgot all about that
    A QUINN MARTIN PRODUCTION...
    How cool those shows were

rickenbacker Guest
    I had a friend whose mom bought him a 70-something Ford...dark green...just like the "Streets of San Francisco" car. Being teenagers, we of course tried to reproduce some of the chase scenes...

cachluv Guest
    Quinn Martin

AKA Martin Cohn

Born: 22-May-1922
    Birthplace: New York City
    Died: 6-Sep-1987
    Location of death: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
    Cause of death: unspecified

Religion: Jewish
    Race or Ethnicity: White
    Sexual orientation: Straight
    Nationality: United States
    Executive summary: Quinn Martin Productions
    Military service: US Army Air Corps (WWII) Wife: Madelyn Pugh (m. 1958, one son)
    Son: Michael Quinn Martin
    Wife: Muffet Webb (m. 1961, one daughter, one son)
    Daughter: Jill Martin
    Son: Cliff Martin

University: BA, University of California at Berkeley (1949)
    Professor: Adjunct, University of California at San Diego

Emmy 1964
    Hollywood Walk of Fame 6667 Hollywood Blvd (television)

Another staple of my childhood, one of those announcements that stick with you, like the song to "The Brady Bunch"! As far as "when the hammer would strike the chisel to carve out the QM in the metal block" I believe that was for the "MARK IV Productions" which you would see after an episode of Dragnet, but I could be wrong, maybe they were one and the same...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!