Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which actors/actress' died of Aids?

SlippyInvader Guest

Which actors/actress' died of Aids?

I was surprised to find out the American actor, Brad Davis, who starred in the film Midnight Express in 1978 died of aids way back in 1991. I didn't know he was dead or gay!

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6...davis02hr9.jpg

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    I was surprised to find out the American actor, Brad Davis, who starred in the film Midnight Express in 1978 died of aids way back in 1991. I didn't know he was dead or gay!

FYI - You don't have to be gay to die from AIDS.

Freddie Mercury
    Rock Hudson
    Anthony Perkins
    Ryan White

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Robert Reed.

talk about being not only saddened by his passing, but SHOCKED to find out he was a gay man. I honestly don't think anyone would have judged him if he would have come out and said he was. people loved him for who he was.

Darrianne Guest

According to the book his wife wrote, Brad was not gay but contacted AIDS from sharing needles. Also according to her, he had much one night stand sex but it was with women he cheated with. It has been awhile since I read the book but I do remember her addressing the issue that people had said he got AIDS because he was gay.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RubySlippers View Post

Freddie Mercury
    Rock Hudson
    Anthony Perkins
    Ryan White

I think Brad Davis contacted AIDS through a dirty needle. i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he was a heroin addict. NOT 100% CERTAIN! but I believe that's what I heard.

**edit** Darrianne beat me to it. LOL.**

and out of that list Ruby, 3 of the 4 you mentioned were gay men. all due respect, but I don't see the point you were trying to make.

Danny62 Guest
    Amanda Blake

Tom Fogerty

Isaac Asimov

Arthur Ashe

SlippyInvader Guest

Freddie Mercury
    Rock Hudson
    Anthony Perkins
    Ryan White
    I know that FGS I was just saying I didn't know he was gay.

According to IMBD he contracted HIV through a dirty needle or a unsafe heterosexual contact.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Death Hag Chris View Post
    I think Brad Davis contacted AIDS through a dirty needle. i'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he was a heroin addict. NOT 100% CERTAIN! but I believe that's what I heard.

and out of that list Ruby, 3 of the 4 you mentioned were gay men. all due respect, but I don't see the point you were trying to make.

My point is that not all people have to be gay to die from AIDS.
    I didn't say NO people who died from aIDS were gay.

RubySlippers Guest

Got it :o)

I know that FGS I was just saying I didn't know he was gay.
    I follow you.

Death Hag Chris Guest
    [/color]

My point is that not all people have to be gay to die from AIDS.
    I didn't say NO people who died from aIDS were gay.
    okay, fair enough. I really didn't mean any disrespect by my comment. I hope you didn't take it that way.

RubySlippers Guest
    okay, fair enough. I really didn't mean any disrespect by my comment. I hope you didn't take it that way.

Cool....
    I'm here to make friends, not cause problems, Baby.

Danse Macabre Guest

Exclamation

I didn't know Tom Fogerty died of AIDS.

Tony Richardson (Tom Jones)
    Denholm Elliott (A Room With a View)
    Stephen Stucker (Airplane!)

Darrianne Guest
    I had my Wheaties this morning...I am OTB~~~~ (on the ball...lol)

don't_axe_me Guest
    I was confusing Tom Fogerty with John Fogerty (CCR)...who was Tom? (Pardon my ignorance)

Danse Macabre Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    I was confusing Tom Fogerty with John Fogerty (CCR)...who was Tom? (Pardon my ignorance)
    The only Tom Fogerty I know of is John's brother and was also a CCR's member (guitarrist).

Death Hag Chris Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    I had my Wheaties this morning...I am OTB~~~~ (on the ball...lol)
    yeah you are. you beat me my a GOOD 45 seconds.

don't_axe_me Guest
    Thanks, Ana

Cataroo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Cross View Post
    The only Tom Fogerty I know of is John's brother and was also a CCR's member (guitarrist).
    That is correct. He apparantly died of AIDS, contracted from a blood transfusion.

They're not movie stars, but Elizabeth Glaser, wife of Paul Michael Glaser (he was Starsky or Hutch, I never know which one) contracted AIDS from a blood transfusion when giving birth to her daugter I believe.

Both her and her daughter are dead now.
    Performing my signature monkey hump move since 10/16/2007...

RIP Dad- 11/14/1947 to 12/16/2013

scarletfever1971 Guest
    Gia Carangi - a "supermodel" from the late 70's to mid 80's. She was addicted to heroin.

Kareika Guest
    Merritt Butrick

he was Kirk's son in the Star Trek Movies and also my fav, Johnny Slash, on Square Pegs.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Jermaine Stewart died aged 40 in 1997.

Jaynrand Guest
    The beautiful Amanda Blake who played Miss Kitty on the television series Gunsmoke for decades, contracted AIDS from her husband - a much younger man, Mark Spaeth, she married after the series left the air. He was admittedly bisexual, but probably didn't even know he was positive when they married. They divorced after a year of marriage.

Amanda discovered she was HIV positive when undergoing treatment for cancer of the tongue.

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    Back to Rock Hudson. I have been watching the movies he did with Doris Day. Those were so brilliant and funny. He was an incredible comedy actor. I really wish he hadn't been so reclusive and ashamed about his homosexuality and AIDS. I realize that was back in '85, but I know people would have embraced his plight and been supportive of him today.

reddawn17 Guest
    Ricky Wilson...guitarist for the B-52's
    Anthony Perkins..from Psycho
    Liberace...
    John Holmes...
    Timothy Patrick Murphy...from "Dallas"
    Easy-E...N.W.A.

I know some of these aren't actors or actresses (or good ones if they are), but I felt the need to include them.

Darrianne Guest
    yeah you are. you beat me my a GOOD 45 seconds.
    Surprising what some people can do in 45 seconds!!!

Not an actor - but Robyn Crosby of the rock group RATT died of AIDS.

FoxMulder Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Not an actor - but Robyn Crosby of the rock group RATT died of AIDS.

Though he didn't really die from AIDS; it was from a lethal injection of heroin. He was beautiful. As was Rock Hudson. I was a big fan of Rock.

I have the Doris and Rock collection also.

I really wish he hadn't kept so many people in the dark about his sexuality, including his wife how had no idea.

And to get back on topic, Herb Ritts, the late fashion photographer, died from pneumonia-related complications. He was HIV-positive.

And Perry Ellis, the late fashion designer, died from it on May 30th, 1986.

In January of 1986 he had to be accompanied to the podium by an aide to receive his award. On May 8 of that year, Ellis was not able to perform his traditional skip down the runway anymore and, looking shockingly gaunt and frail, had to be supported by two of his employees when he briefly appeared at the end of the runway. It was to be his last fashion show and he received standing ovations for it.
    Last edited by FoxMulder; 10-23-2007 at 12:21 PM.

TV star of the 80's Dack Rambo died on March 21,94 of aids.

Suzanne30 Guest
    Michael Jeter

Ray Sharkey

More Cheese Please Guest
    Well, I am a huge fan of "Dark Shadows"... with Barnabus Collins, Angelique, Collinwood, Barnabus' shouts of "Willie"!, the horrible sets, boom mikes in every shot, the cheesy dialog, the great Joan Bennett and every other delightful and addicting thing about "Dark Shadows".

Sadly, we lost two wonderful actors to AIDS who participated in that show..
    Joel Crothers aka Joe Haskell and
    Keith Prentice aka Morgan Collins

Merritt Butrick -- played Kirk's son in Star Trek 2 and 3
    Kevin Peter Hall -- Harry and the Hendersons and Predator via Blood transfusion
    Ian Charleston -- Chariots of Fire

Not an actor

Steve Rubell -- former owner of Studio 54
    Alan Wiggins -- believed to be first baseball player to have succomed

HIV Positive

Magic Johnson
    Jim J Bullock
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    Merritt Butrick -- played Kirk's son in Star Trek 2 and 3
    Kevin Peter Hall -- Harry and the Hendersons and Predator via Blood transfusion
    Ian Charleston -- Chariots of Fire

Not an actor

Steve Rubell -- former owner of Studio 54
    Alan Wiggins -- believed to be first baseball player to have succomed

HIV Positive

Magic Johnson
    Jim J Bullock
    Oooh, Steve Rubell. Forgot about him. DOI

Irishlass Guest
    Gene Anthony Ray from Fame was HIV pos, but died from complications from a stroke.

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by More Cheese Please View Post
    Well, I am a huge fan of "Dark Shadows"... with Barnabus Collins, Angelique, Collinwood, Barnabus' shouts of "Willie"!, the horrible sets, boom mikes in every shot, the cheesy dialog, the great Joan Bennett and every other delightful and addicting thing about "Dark Shadows".

Sadly, we lost two wonderful actors to AIDS who participated in that show..
    Joel Crothers aka Joe Haskell and
    Keith Prentice aka Morgan Collins
    I am currently watch the whole series - renting it from Netflix. I heard that "Joe" died of AIDS but I didn't know "Morgan" did.

Darrianne Guest
    I didn't realize Jim J was HIV positive. I heart him! He makes me giggle.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    I am currently watch the whole series - renting it from Netflix. I heard that "Joe" died of AIDS but I didn't know "Morgan" did.
    It's a great series!!! I didn't realize it was available on NetFlix. I will definitely check that out as I never get enough DS. Here is a link about "Morgan"

http://www.collinwood.net/cast/prentice.htm

kenny everett - hilarious uk comic & dj - rumoured to have got it from the same person freddie mercury contracted aids from

Crater face from grease.

KristinEileen Guest
    I can't believe that Dack Rambo had AIDS!! I loved him on Another World as Grant Harrison....I honestly didn't even know that he died!

DeadRinger Guest
    Peter Allen - The Boy from Oz
    Liberace
    Rudolf Nureyev
    Isaac Asimov

HIV Positive
    Greg Louganis

Michael Jeter
    Dack Rambo
    Howard Rollins
    John Holmes
    Peter Allen
    Liberace
    Arthur Ashe
    Isaac Asimov
    Robert Reed
    Elizabeth Glaser

hoxharding Guest
    Didn't the actress who played 'Miss Kitty' on Gunsmoke die of AIDS? Her first name was Amanda.

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    Didn't the actress who played 'Miss Kitty' on Gunsmoke die of AIDS? Her first name was Amanda.
    You are correct... it was Amanda Blake.

SW4 Guest
    British actor Denholm Elliott (you may not know the name, but you'd know the face..)

Quote Originally Posted by SW4 View Post
    British actor Denholm Elliott (you may not know the name, but you'd know the face..)

Oh wow...I was just watching Raiders of the Lost Ark last night actually...
    The survival of everyone on board depends on just one thing: finding someone on board who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

SW4 Guest
    Not actors, mind, but two singers from the 70's whose songs are still played in clubs:

Sylvester (James) - "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)"
    Dan Hartman - "Instant Replay"

Showing my age, aren't I?

Jaynrand Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post

Last post on Page One of this thread.

SW4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    Oh wow...I was just watching Raiders of the Lost Ark last night actually...
    Was just reminded Denholm Elliott was the butler to Eddie Murphy/Dan Aykroyd in Trading Places...

Ages since I've seen it....

Kiel Martin who played Officer JD LaRue on Hill Street Blues died of AIDS, although some sources say he died of lung cancer. For some reason, when it happened to him, it totally shocked me.

My great aunt Izzie, who was the daughter of a minister, died of AIDS contracted from a blood transfusion when she had open heart surgery in the mid-80's. When she found out she had AIDS, she was so ashamed that she refused to let anyone come and see her. She felt that she had disgraced the family.

Then one of my best friends, Carlos, died of AIDS that he contracted from unsafe sex. Carlos was by far the hardest working person in our office, yet none of the managers went to the funeral because they were either afraid or a-holes (my bet is the latter).

I thank GOD every day for all the work that has happened by activists who have brought this horrible disease out of the shadows. I am also grateful that even though there isn't a cure YET, there are ways to manage the disease until a cure is found. Back in the days of Izzie and Carlos, AIDS was an automatic death sentence and had so much shame attached to it. We still have a long way to go, but I am glad we're not living in the 1980's anymore.
    Any day above ground is a good day.