Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Suicide Forest - Warning! Dead Pics!

Shano Guest
    lol I am just sayin'!

If I was going to a dark and stormy forest to kill myself I don't want to be eatin by bugs I would totally leave a note so they could find my ass!!

Keyser Soze Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
    they had a camera set up for a year.
    they weren't sitting there behind it the whole time, I imagine.

"Though the camera crew worked with a set of guidelines, including that they would call in someone they thought was going to jump, the documentary still includes lengthy footage of the moments leading up to and including the suicides, so discretion is advised for sensitive viewers."

I suppose if you were standing there watching, you wouldnt have time to stop someone if they just climbed over the rails and jumped.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    And HKK, do you know whether people there really believe the forest is haunted by killler ghosts? I think I prefer to believe that the people who go there are coerced into killing themselves. Very Stephen King.
    As far as I've heard, no one mentions killer ghosts. It's more a destination than a 'pleasant walk in the woods' that turns into suicide. In other words, people who make their way there are already looking to get lost and not be found for awhile.

Having said that, when TV shows cover the place, they really play up the "oooh, creeeepy!" aspect of it. And coercive ghosts aside, I think most folks assume that the souls of those who died here are definitely hanging out, maybe even nudging would-be suiciders to tighten the noose, lie down and go to sleep...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

Long Gone Day Guest
    Oooooohhh. Great post! Creepy looking forest. I was hoping for something looking like a nice Japanese water garden at the bottom of the waterfall with some coy swimming around in the pool below. I bet you the little buggers would eat you.

Lisamarie Guest
    wow.....okay deathhag outing who is with me !! We may even find our very own body!!!

steph81202 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
    "Though the camera crew worked with a set of guidelines, including that they would call in someone they thought was going to jump, the documentary still includes lengthy footage of the moments leading up to and including the suicides, so discretion is advised for sensitive viewers."

I suppose if you were standing there watching, you wouldnt have time to stop someone if they just climbed over the rails and jumped.

They did stop many from happening, they even stopped the same girl twice. It was not a manned camera 24/7. I believe they caught 23 out of 24 on camera. If they were watching they contacted the proper authorities. But sometimes they were not in time. There is one particular one that they talk alot about in the film and they even talked to his family, the camera people didn't think that he would jump he just seemed to be enjoying the view he hung around for quite some time. Then just jumped up on the railing, stood on top and fell backwards off. He didn't hesitate.

Oh and to stop hijacking the thread...this is a great thead, there was even a story on this forest on CNN last night.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...pan/index.html

Keyser Soze Guest
    I got a copy of "The Bridge". If anyone is intersted in me sending them one, send me a PM and I can get one to you. Im really looking forward to watching it this morning.

hoxharding Guest
    In recent years, a particular forest at the foot of Mt. Fuji in Japan, has become a magnet for people who wish to end their lives. It's known as the Sea of Trees, and it's attraction is probably at least partly due to the fact it is vast, deep, dense and dark. It's apparently a dam depressing place to go, and I wonder if some of the people who kill themselves there do so on the spur of the moment. Most people hang themselves from tree limbs, but there is also a waterfall there that has become an appealing spot to jump from.
    In any event, it has become such a popular suicide destination that every year, the authorities organize a "body hunt". In 2002, 78 were found, beating the previous record (73) set in 1998. We can only guess at how many bodies have never been found.
    People who enter the forest these days are greeted by signs urging them to reconsider, or to call police if they're feeling serious depression.
    Weird.

This is a real place?
    The is a manga series that I read titled 'Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service.'
    The group went to a forest more than once that seeking
    corpse of suicide victims. Their mission was to help the dead in some way so they could cross over. Also, to help the dead find a place of rest.
    I never thought of it being real or not-thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by steph81202 View Post
    They did stop many from happening, they even stopped the same girl twice. It was not a manned camera 24/7. I believe they caught 23 out of 24 on camera. If they were watching they contacted the proper authorities. But sometimes they were not in time. There is one particular one that they talk alot about in the film and they even talked to his family, the camera people didn't think that he would jump he just seemed to be enjoying the view he hung around for quite some time. Then just jumped up on the railing, stood on top and fell backwards off. He didn't hesitate.

Oh and to stop hijacking the thread...this is a great thead, there was even a story on this forest on CNN last night.
    http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...pan/index.html

Interesting article. So they're worried that suicides will spike at the end of March b/c it's the end of the fiscal year and people will start discovering just how poorly they're doing financially? Sad.

bunny Guest
    what I heard all us hags are going there for a picinc??? OK I will bring the potato salad...

Interesting, thanks, Duster. I'd never heard of this place. How sad. I'm gonna have to track down that DVD.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

thanks for the pics. no waterfall?

Quote Originally Posted by celtic View Post

I too would like to see the waterfall.. let me do some snooping
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by celtic View Post
    I looked for the waterfall yesterday. There's apparently a Shiraito waterfall that's very close to the forest, but I didn't post a pic because I'm pretty sure it's not the one

Forever-27 Guest
    I first heard about the forest in japan from that sci-fi channel show about 2 years ago. Destination Truth went out there to get EVPs and film footage.

vandal Guest
    I think its pretty crazy that they say they only do a sweep looking for bodies once a year, I bet they find some pretty nasty things.

Quote Originally Posted by vandal View Post
    I think its pretty crazy that they say they only do a sweep looking for bodies once a year, I bet they find some pretty nasty things.
    Yes but if you wanted to off somebody it would be a good place to hide the body. Not that I would ever to that of course but I am just saying....

Duster- this is the coolest post I have read in a long time. Really weird and it appeals to my sense of the morbid. Thanks for digging this out.

Shiraito Waterfall pics

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

beatlebaby4 Guest
    ohhh there are beautiful. What a shame to have so much horror and sadness associated with them.

WOW those are beautiful pics. I would love to visit that place, but um knowing about it now, ya im not going alone. If were having the picnic, Ill bring chips and soda/beer

You guys want any other info/piccies, just let me know. I can google in Japanese.

If one wants to take their own life, I can't think of a more beautiful place to die.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post
    what I heard all us hags are going there for a picinc??? OK I will bring the potato salad...
    I'm in...I will bring a black forest cake

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Inked_Daddy View Post
    I'm in...I will bring a black forest cake
    I'll bring the fried chicken

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonWoman View Post
    If one wants to take their own life, I can't think of a more beautiful place to die.
    I can: at home, in Canada.
    It's odd to me that someone would want to end their life in such a remote location, so far from home, in a remote forest, where your body will likely be stumbled upon by a complete stranger - if it ever is found.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Spoken like a true Canadian. I'm with ya Duster. Our country is beautiful!

It's odd to me that someone would want to end their life in such a remote location, so far from home, in a remote forest, where your body will likely be stumbled upon by a complete stranger - if it ever is found.
    I think the hope--if suicidal folks can be said to have hope--is that the body will never be found. And the anonymity of being found by a complete stranger is preferable to being found by a family member.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    There is a documentary about that, it actually shows people jumping. If you want to see it Netflix has it. I couldn't finish it, it was too sad.
    I am so getting this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

KarmaKat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by kimba View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aokigaharajapanfq5.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	13179

Oh no..this place isn't scary at all.....
    yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...
    Such a beautiful but haunting photo. It almost looks as if the brances are reaching out to people on the track. Creepy

thinkering Guest
    What an interesting thread, thanks, duster.

And I totally get it; walking in to such a fairytale-like forest, downing pills and just lying down on some moss by the waterfalls and going to sleep from it all. With the added bonus of rare suicide-sweeps, that you almost even get to chose your own final resting place.

And no, I'm by no means suicidal.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post

Aaahhh....There we go. Suicide waterfall.

Roaming Tigress Guest
    The Raccoon Dogs in that area must be well-fed . . .

RogerV Guest
    Uh, and so what happens if someone's family reports him missing and suicidal? Do they still not search the forest until the annual "big sweep?"

Shamrocker99 Guest
    This is one of the best posts I have read on here. What a beautiful place to end it all. As for the picnic...I'm in but we better use the buddy system to make sure we all make it out!

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bunny View Post

Oh wow, that made me totally spit coffee out my nose.
    Too funny...

I too watched the documentary about the bridge suicides, it was really interesting...would love to see some type of doc about this.

Gothwitch Guest
    Thanks DS. Excellent shots. Can anyone tell if the hanging victim is a man or a woman? I'm curious for some unfathomable reason...

Its a bloke I reckon cos its the spitting image of my brother in law (well except for the noose bit!)
    Can anyone give us a lift to the picnic, my push bike wont make it that far!!

I understand what you're saying. However, to each his/her own.

Beautiful waterfalls!
    Cripe, guess I'll bring the burgers....

My_Smiling_Skull Guest

Beautiful!!! Looks like something out of a fantasy movie. I agree I can totally see the appeal of this place...

pvezz Guest
    Love this thread! Thanks, Duter!

I think the hope--if suicidal folks can be said to have hope--is that the body will never be found. And the anonymity of being found by a complete stranger is preferable to being found by a family member.
    That is insightful. Thanks, Kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Tigress View Post
    Raccoon dgs?!?!? WTF are those ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerV View Post
    Uh, and so what happens if someone's family reports him missing and suicidal? Do they still not search the forest until the annual "big sweep?"
    I wondered exactly the same thing Roger

Quote Originally Posted by AmazonWoman View Post
    I understand what you're saying. However, to each his/her own.
    My thoughts exactly

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Tigress View Post
    I want to know what these are too??

octobersky Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beatlebaby4 View Post
    I want to know what these are too??
    They look kind of cute not scary.

Raccoon dog with righteous nads

When you're talking "coon dog" in Japan, you're referring to one of these bad boys: invariably generously endowed leetle sprites of the happy wood forest.

Long Gone Day Guest
    LMAO. "Raccoon dog with righteous nads." Tee hee.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by octobersky View Post
    They look kind of cute not scary.
    They are cute!!!! Very much like our raccoons here in Canada. Obviously in the same family. Thanks for posting that picture

beatlebaby4 Guest
    When you're talking "coon dog" in Japan, you're referring to one of these bad boys: invariably generously endowed leetle sprites of the happy wood forest.

ok kitty, what in the world?! They are the most well endowed species of the animal kingdom!!!

"Happy Wood", indeed.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    *snort*