View Poll Results: Are you for against assisted suicide?

Voters
79. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

47 59.49%
  • No

9 11.39%
  • In certain cases (explain)

21 26.58%
  • Don't care one way or the other

2 2.53%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Assisted Suicide

Guest Guest
    For.

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    No question, I would do it as long as it was painless....seen too many people die a slow and horrible death.....we do it for animals....we should let that be a dying persons choice....
    That's what I think. Maybe I could do it for someone. IDK. I do know that when my mama was in coma with kidney failure we girls were given the option of pulling the plug. i would have done it had she not died of respiratory failure the day I was supposed to yank it. I knew she didn't want to be kept artificially alive and I would have felt no guilt. So what's the difference in pulling life support and easing someone out? Legalities aside.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    That's what I think. Maybe I could do it for someone. IDK. I do know that when my mama was in coma with kidney failure we girls were given the option of pulling the plug. i would have done it had she not died of respiratory failure the day I was supposed to yank it. I knew she didn't want to be kept artificially alive and I would have felt no guilt. So what's the difference in pulling life support and easing someone out? Legalities aside.

We "pulled the plug" on my Dad, too. The doctor pulled my Mom and I aside one night and told us he was never going to recover. He had emphsyema for years, his kidneys had failed, his liver was gone, etc. etc. He lived for about an hour, breathing on his own. He may have lived for much longer (artificially, hooked up to a ventilator and dialysis machine), but my Mom didn't want that and neither did he. Wonder if that would be considered by some to be assisted suicide? Interesting question, Cindy.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    We "pulled the plug" on my Dad, too. The doctor pulled my Mom and I aside one night and told us he was never going to recover. He had emphsyema for years, his kidneys had failed, his liver was gone, etc. etc. He lived for about an hour, breathing on his own. He may have lived for much longer (artificially, hooked up to a ventilator and dialysis machine), but my Mom didn't want that and neither did he. Wonder if that would be considered by some to be assisted suicide? Interesting question, Cindy.
    My mother went into Er with swollen feet and they diagnosed congestive heart failure, which is treatable. They admitted her and did some tests and she was diagnosed with liver cancer, and went into respiratory distress. The last time I saw her awake was Mother's Day 2006. The next day they put her in ICU and inserted a breathing tube. By Wednesday the doctor was asking us about taking her off the breathing tube. He said her kidneys were failing and that is why she was in a coma. I asked him if there was brain activity, and he said there was, but it was highly unlikely she would ever wake up and if by some miracle she did she wouldn't have but about a month to live and it would be a horrible month. So we decided to pull the plug and asked them not to resusetate in the meanwhile. She must not have been on a ventilator, just a tube, because she died of respiratory failure at 5am May 19, 2006, about four hours before she would have been taken off the oxygen.

Two things do haunt me. She had brain activity and i wonder how much she was aware of. Her nurses said it was likely she could hear what was going on around her. Plus, the day before she died, my middle sister and I were in a group with the nurses and I happened to turn around and mama raised herself up almost in a sitting position. I have wondered if she was trying to wake up or I don't know...it just breaks my heart.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Mugdock Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I think that if someone is dying of an incurable diease then they have the right to end their life early. What right do we have to say that someone has to suffer through intense pain when they are going to die anyway. What is the difference between six months of intense pain and suffering or an easy passing.
    I totally agree with that - my answer was yes in certain cases.

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    My mother went into Er with swollen feet and they diagnosed congestive heart failure, which is treatable. They admitted her and did some tests and she was diagnosed with liver cancer, and went into respiratory distress. The last time I saw her awake was Mother's Day 2006. The next day they put her in ICU and inserted a breathing tube. By Wednesday the doctor was asking us about taking her off the breathing tube. He said her kidneys were failing and that is why she was in a coma. I asked him if there was brain activity, and he said there was, but it was highly unlikely she would ever wake up and if by some miracle she did she wouldn't have but about a month to live and it would be a horrible month. So we decided to pull the plug and asked them not to resusetate in the meanwhile. She must not have been on a ventilator, just a tube, because she died of respiratory failure at 5am May 19, 2006, about four hours before she would have been taken off the oxygen.

Two things do haunt me. She had brain activity and i wonder how much she was aware of. Her nurses said it was likely she could hear what was going on around her. Plus, the day before she died, my middle sister and I were in a group with the nurses and I happened to turn around and mama raised herself up almost in a sitting position. I have wondered if she was trying to wake up or I don't know...it just breaks my heart.
    {{{HUGS}}}}, hon. My Mom still has guilt, wondering if she did the right thing. About 3 days before he died, my Dad was more awake and animated than I had seen him in MONTHS. He was writing us notes and everything. I have since heard that this sometimes happens; there is one moment of clarity (or a few days of it) shortly before death.

My Dad most definitely had brain activity. I am one of 8 kids and we were all there when he passed. He wasn't conscious, but I really think he knew we were there. My BIL (big-time lasped Catholic and your basic atheist) SWEARS that he saw my Dad's spirit leave him at the moment of death.

I don't think any of us can second-guess those difficult and heart-wrenching decisions we are sometimes forced to make. I just tell my Mom that she did what she thought my Dad would have wanted. They were 2 months from their 50th anniversary, so if anyone knew him inside and out, it was her.

My mom had that days of clarity thing a few days before she died, too. She had been nearly comatose for about 2 weeks, and then one day I walked into her hospital room and she was awake and alert and smiling. She asked me to bring in her jewelry box the next day so she could figure out what jewelry she wanted to give to whom, and she wanted me to do her nails. She hadn't done her nails in years. She was completely coherent and carried on conversations with all of us (me, my aunt and uncle, their daughter), and knew exactly what was going on. I brought in her jewelry box the next day and she sorted through it. Then I did her nails. When I went in the next day, she was nearly comatose again and couldn't even open her eyes long enough to focus on me. By the next day, she still had her eyes closed, but would try and speak, but her tongue was completely covered in scabs at this point, so nothing made sense. She would get very angry and start yelling but it sounded like just a bunch of honking and then whispers.

I didn't have to make any decision to pull a plug or anything, but if I had, I would've done it. And I know she would've wanted it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Luanne View Post
    My mom had that days of clarity thing a few days before she died, too. She had been nearly comatose for about 2 weeks, and then one day I walked into her hospital room and she was awake and alert and smiling. She asked me to bring in her jewelry box the next day so she could figure out what jewelry she wanted to give to whom, and she wanted me to do her nails. She hadn't done her nails in years. She was completely coherent and carried on conversations with all of us (me, my aunt and uncle, their daughter), and knew exactly what was going on. I brought in her jewelry box the next day and she sorted through it. Then I did her nails. When I went in the next day, she was nearly comatose again and couldn't even open her eyes long enough to focus on me. By the next day, she still had her eyes closed, but would try and speak, but her tongue was completely covered in scabs at this point, so nothing made sense. She would get very angry and start yelling but it sounded like just a bunch of honking and then whispers.

I didn't have to make any decision to pull a plug or anything, but if I had, I would've done it. And I know she would've wanted it.

Wow, Lu. Exactly what we experienced with my Dad. Wish I had known about it beforehand; my Mom thought he was getting better.

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    {{{HUGS}}}}, hon. My Mom still has guilt, wondering if she did the right thing. About 3 days before he died, my Dad was more awake and animated than I had seen him in MONTHS. He was writing us notes and everything. I have since heard that this sometimes happens; there is one moment of clarity (or a few days of it) shortly before death.

My Dad most definitely had brain activity. I am one of 8 kids and we were all there when he passed. He wasn't conscious, but I really think he knew we were there. My BIL (big-time lasped Catholic and your basic atheist) SWEARS that he saw my Dad's spirit leave him at the moment of death.

I don't think any of us can second-guess those difficult and heart-wrenching decisions we are sometimes forced to make. I just tell my Mom that she did what she thought my Dad would have wanted. They were 2 months from their 50th anniversary, so if anyone knew him inside and out, it was her.
    Mama had always told me she didn't want to be kept alive artificially and so I had no doubts about her wishes. And that is all you can really do in the end, see that their wishes are carried out.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

NOVSTORM Guest
    I have done this..my whole family has died mainly from cancer. I watched a few times as my brothers as sister puked and cried out in pain for even moving. I have helped them. Morphine in the liquid form is very fast. I will never ever again let one of my friends or family lay in pain like this again.EVER. I see no miracles appearing for people dying from cancer ,who weigh in at 60 pounds and are just hanging flesh and bones, I see no miracles happening for these morons who are praying over their children who just suffer and die. People put their prayers out and expect God to just heal this person and it doesnt happen folks. God doesnt make the lightening flash and the skies turn dark and the cancer ridden patients get up and say..I am healed.

This person is suffering and having been there for 9 of my sisters and brothers who have withered away from cancer ,with open sores because their bones are coming thru their flesh ,and they smell from the rotted flesh from Chemo and radiation there is NO way I would ever think of ME first..it isnt about ME it is about them. If they ask me to give them more morphine and to stop the pain and to please let them go,,I will get that nasty crap out and give it to them. Murder..so be it come and get me.There is no reason for people to lay there and scream in pain and I will not ask a doctor to do it because most won't. They are afraid and like other people are thinking of themselves and not the person in that bed begging to die. People have a right IMO to take their own lives if they so choose. I dont care what kind of pain they are in and when all else fails and they want to leave this earth they have a right to do so. If they need help they should have a right to get that help to leave. I personally dont think religion has anything to say about it. I feel if you are against suicide then dont do it but dont deny others the right to live or die.
    To olet someone you are supposed to love lay and suffer because you dont want to lose them is the crime and the sin.

pvezz Guest
    I have the book, "Last Wish", by Betty Rollin, somewhere around here. I've read it several times. It is very poignant and tells the story of Betty's decision to help her mother commit suicide after her cancer diagnosis. If I can find it I'll send it to anyone who is interested in reading it.

http://www.bettyrollin.com/books.html

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    ....If they ask me to give them more morphine and to stop the pain and to please let them go,,I will get that nasty crap out and give it to them. Murder..so be it come and get me.There is no reason for people to lay there and scream in pain and I will not ask a doctor to do it because most won't. They are afraid and like other people are thinking of themselves and not the person in that bed begging to die. People have a right IMO to take their own lives if they so choose. I dont care what kind of pain they are in and when all else fails and they want to leave this earth they have a right to do so. If they need help they should have a right to get that help to leave. I personally dont think religion has anything to say about it. I feel if you are against suicide then dont do it but dont deny others the right to live or die.
    To olet someone you are supposed to love lay and suffer because you dont want to lose them is the crime and the sin.
    Novstorm, I'm so sorry you had to be in that position and go through that. I would do the exact same thing in your situation, and I hope that someone would do it for me.

I think it's totally wrong that Dr. Kevorkian is in jail for trying to help people in those types of horrible situations.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I have done this..my whole family has died mainly from cancer. I watched a few times as my brothers as sister puked and cried out in pain for even moving. I have helped them. Morphine in the liquid form is very fast. I will never ever again let one of my friends or family lay in pain like this again.EVER. I see no miracles appearing for people dying from cancer ,who weigh in at 60 pounds and are just hanging flesh and bones, I see no miracles happening for these morons who are praying over their children who just suffer and die. People put their prayers out and expect God to just heal this person and it doesnt happen folks. God doesnt make the lightening flash and the skies turn dark and the cancer ridden patients get up and say..I am healed.

This person is suffering and having been there for 9 of my sisters and brothers who have withered away from cancer ,with open sores because their bones are coming thru their flesh ,and they smell from the rotted flesh from Chemo and radiation there is NO way I would ever think of ME first..it isnt about ME it is about them. If they ask me to give them more morphine and to stop the pain and to please let them go,,I will get that nasty crap out and give it to them. Murder..so be it come and get me.There is no reason for people to lay there and scream in pain and I will not ask a doctor to do it because most won't. They are afraid and like other people are thinking of themselves and not the person in that bed begging to die. People have a right IMO to take their own lives if they so choose. I dont care what kind of pain they are in and when all else fails and they want to leave this earth they have a right to do so. If they need help they should have a right to get that help to leave. I personally dont think religion has anything to say about it. I feel if you are against suicide then dont do it but dont deny others the right to live or die.
    100% right on the money.

To olet someone you are supposed to love lay and suffer because you dont want to lose them is the crime and the sin.[/quote]

Absolutely.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

Belgian Senate votes to extend euthanasia to children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25364745
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Quote Originally Posted by ichabodius View Post
    Belgian Senate votes to extend euthanasia to children

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25364745
    Wow, that is so incredibly progressive. Some people will not think this is ok but I think it is great. The US is so far behind the real world. Europe has got it going on. We are spiraling out of control. In every area.

Mammy Guest
    I sat here reading Pvezz's posts on this thread with tears in my eyes knowing she is gone now, too.

I have no issues with assisted suicide, if that is what the ailing person wants. I've seen so many people I love die in agonizing ways. It was horrible for them and horrible for the people who loved them who could only sit back helplessly and watch them suffer. Why is it considered humane to have a suffering animal put to sleep, but considered murder for a human?

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    People should be able to make their own decisions about it since they are the one who is dealing with it. I've never understood why it is so controversial. It isn't like legalizing murder.

human Guest
    might as well put them to use as suicide bombers -- and assist others in the process

I don't either, if your in a situation where there is no hope, I personally like that I can have the option. I've seen to many people linger, where their quality of life is nil. It's heartbreaking to watch.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I don't either, if your in a situation where there is no hope, I personally like that I can have the option. I've seen to many people linger, where their quality of life is nil. It's heartbreaking to watch.
    Exactly. If anyone has ever watched someone they love deteriorate with ALS right in front of their eyes, they would understand the need for people having a choice whether to live or not.

human Guest
    if you were in this situation and thought of your future -- then you didnt love the person

Mammy Guest
    Watching someone suffer and die is horrible. There is no way I'd begrudge them for deciding they couldn't take it anymore and wanting a way out. They are going to die either way, I sure wouldn't expect someone to drag the misery out longer just to save me some grief.

Same here. If there is no other option and the quality of life is only going to get worse, then absolutely. I want to have the freedom to make the choice. Right after I make sure my family and friends are all taken care of.
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

human Guest
    you must posess a degree of knowledge about pain relief --- one day you can walk out leaving them screaming and begging for death -- next morning they can be complaining about the ads on they tv

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    you must posess a degree of knowledge about pain relief --- one day you can walk out leaving them screaming and begging for death -- next morning they can be complaining about the ads on they tv
    Well, you could say that about any condition. There are some days where I'm content and everything is right in my world and the next day I might be bawling non stop and ready to lay across train tracks.

human Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    Well, you could say that about any condition.
    not in a terminal context

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by human View Post
    not in a terminal context
    Okay, you win.

human Guest
    i win ? - awwwwwww yea !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Canadian doctors help 2000 people commit suicide in one year. Wow I didn't think the number would be so high

https://www.yahoo.com/news/canadian-...212621726.html

Yes I believe in it if a person is suffering and is in sound mind to make the decision. I know if I was in the position of having a terminal illness and was living in pain and knew it wasn't going to get better that I would want to go out on my own terms rather than wait for the inevitable.