Thread: Jim Bakker - Heritage USA

Jim Bakker - Heritage USA

James Orsen "Jim" Bakker (pronounced "Baker"; born January 2, 1940) is a televangelist, a former Assemblies of God minister and a former host (with his then-wife Tammy Faye Bakker) of The PTL Club, a popular evangelical Christian television program.
    A sex scandal led to his resignation from the ministry. Subsequent revelations of accounting fraud brought about his imprisonment and divorce. He later remarried and returned to televangelism.

Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Bakker

Current Work: http://jimbakkershow.com/

SUPER COOL PICS of the now defunct PTL Heritage USA: http://illicitohio.com/SBNO/heritage/heritage01.html

Heritage sat there for years, wasting away. A huge hotel was never completed. It had a fully functioning water park with a famous pic of Jerry Fallwell going down the water slide for $1,000 donations.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r_09_________________t400.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	47650Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jim-and-Tammy-circa-PTL.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	47651
    Jerry Fallwell taking the plunge, Jim, and of course, Tammy Faye
    Last edited by findadeathaddict; 08-03-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Mammy Guest
    I have wasted hours looking at pictures of Heritage USA. I don't know why I have such a fascination with the place. Falwell looks like a dead guy in a huge casket in that pic.

Info on the park: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_USA

Also, the "Upper Room" has now been refurbished and is now opened up: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HeritageUSA/

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I have wasted hours looking at pictures of Heritage USA. I don't know why I have such a fascination with the place. Falwell looks like a dead guy in a huge casket in that pic.
    He does look dead. It being in black and white doesn't help much.

Mammy Guest
    I'm glad they are doing something with at least part of the place. There's no telling how many millions of dollars worth of buildings and everything else that was left to rot into the ground.

I'm glad they are doing something with at least part of the place. There's no telling how many millions of dollars worth of buildings and everything else that was left to rot into the ground.
    Looks like someone spiffed the place up: http://www.heritageconferencecenter.org/about_us/
    Last edited by findadeathaddict; 08-03-2013 at 01:36 AM.

Back during Heritage USA/PTL Club heyday ( late 70s-early 80's ) both of our local network ( ABC & NBC ) TV stations would air Jim Bakker during syndication time. The ABC channel just after Good Morning America while the NBC channel would air TWO hours of Bakker between 4 and 6pm between the last NBC soap ( Santa Barbara ?? ) and just before the 6pm local news. After the 6:30pm NBC newscast, yepper another hour of Jim Bakker just before the start of NBC's primetime shows. Meanwhile on the weekends both channels would air 2 hours of Jim Bakker at 11pm on Sunday ( no weekend local news then )...while the ABC channel would air even more Bakker just after American Bandstand. Looking back now I gotta wonder how much local money here went on to helped build Heritage USA and filled the Bakkers bank accounts. Jim Bakker and Hee Haw apparently had ruled the airwaves around here back then.

Bidmor Guest
    Bakker's hour long show airs in the D/FW market at around 3 am on an independent sub-channel station which also carries METV. I guess overnight time is the most he can afford to buy.

I always had a problem with all their wealth, and I always felt like the ministry wasn't on the up and up. Then all the scandal came out. I did feel sorry for Tammy Faye when she got sick, however. She seemed to handle it with grace and courage.

Mammy Guest
    I adore Tammy Faye and it broke my heart to see what an awful condition she got into with her cancer. I fell in love with her on "Surreal Life." I honestly think she was naive and didn't realize everything that Jim was into.

1karenhb Guest
    I never liked her until Surreal Life. She was a class act. That's how I remember her.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I never liked her until Surreal Life. She was a class act. That's how I remember her.
    I never really paid any attention to her until "Surreal Life." My husband was flipping through channels one night and stopped and wanted me to look and listen. I never watch television. Tammy was on the screen with Ron Jeremy. She had the same type of bubbly personality and sense of humor that my husband's stepmom had and even sounded like her. That is what drew my husband's attention because his stepmom had just passed away a few months before seeing Tammy Faye on the show. We both fell in love with her. I miss seeing her in interviews and on Larry King. She always made me smile.

That whole Heritage USA thing is a little spooky. One minute there is a thriving franchise going, and the next it is dust.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    That whole Heritage USA thing is a little spooky. One minute there is a thriving franchise going, and the next it is dust.
    I think that is what fascinates me about it.

Mammy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I think that is what fascinates me about it.
    Me, too, just like any place that once thrived and is now an abandoned ghost town.

Me, too, just like any place that once thrived and is now an abandoned ghost town.
    Like we were talking about malls. It's like its not haunted, but feels like there are ghosts there. That probably makes absolutely no sense.

If I get some spare cash (HA!) I may just stay a night at the Grand Hotel now that it is finished. I think that would be cool.

Mammy Guest
    That would be very cool! You better take pictures!

One thing pretty much now forgotten about the Bakkers...they were one of the first if not THE first to had put the city of Charlotte, North Carolina on the national, even world map even though Heritage USA itself is to the south of Charlotte just past the South Carolina state line in Fort Mill. VERY hard to believe now being a major airline hub, the "Wall Street" of the south, having the NFL & NBA, light rail, a decent sized skyline not too mention hosting the last Democratic Presidental Convention...there was a time when Charlotte was strictly a city that was for the most part only known in the south unless you had ties there. Back in the 70's and earlier go to New England and out west and say "..I am from Charlotte"..you would had to add "North Carolina" as chances are they would NOT know since Nascar was unknown to many outside the south/mid-Atlantic at the time and Carowinds Amusement Park was unknown even to those in Virginia, the next state to the north. The Bakkers for the most part were among the first to change that as everyone ( even those who didn't like them ) knew who Jim & Tammy were and knew their connection to Charlotte.
    Last edited by choff; 08-04-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by choff View Post
    One thing pretty much now forgotten about the Bakkers...they were one of the first if not THE first to had put the city of Charlotte, North Carolina on the national, even world map even though Heritage USA itself is to the south of Charlotte just past the South Carolina state line in Fort Mill. VERY hard to believe now being a major airline hub, the "Wall Street" of the south, having the NFL & NBA, light rail, a decent sized skyline not too mention hosting the last Democratic Presidental Convention...there was a time when Charlotte was strictly a city that was for the most part only known in the south unless you had ties there. Back in the 70's and earlier go to New England and out west and say "..I am from Charlotte"..you would had to add "North Carolina" as chances are they would NOT know since Nascar was unknown to many outside the south/mid-Atlantic at the time and Carowinds Amusement Park was unknown even to those in Virginia, the next state to the north. The Bakkers for the most part were among the first to change that as everyone ( even those who didn't like them ) knew who Jim & Tammy were and knew their connection to Charlotte.
    You are right. I still remember watching them on the TV with my grandmother.

My kids go to Carowinds all the time, season passes.

Doing some poking around on this place. So basically they never finished building the hotel, but sold a lot of these memberships? What was the final downfall of this place?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

endsleigh03 Guest
    For some reason I thought Jim Bakker was dead.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    Looks like someone spiffed the place up: http://www.heritageconferencecenter.org/about_us/
    The property was purchased by Morningstar Ministries, headed up by Rick Joyner, back in 2004:

http://www.morningstarministries.org/

GOD IS NOT DEAD

The only surprising thing about that is that some people will hear his pitch and think:
    "Yeah, that's a good idea. We can trust this guy. Honey, where's the checkbook..."
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    The property was purchased by Morningstar Ministries, headed up by Rick Joyner, back in 2004:

http://www.morningstarministries.org/

Interesting since Jim Bakker is listed as being part of Morningstar Ministries...

He is just yet another Christian hypocrite like
    Billy Graham and son Franklin, don't forget about
    Jerry Falwell and son Jerry jr.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I will never understand ppl who send their hard earned money to these jerk offs. pfffshdfhd