Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Suicide Forest - Warning! Dead Pics!

The Suicide Forest - Warning! Dead Pics!

In recent years, a particular forest at the foot of Mt. Fuji in Japan, has become a magnet for people who wish to end their lives. It's known as the Sea of Trees, and it's attraction is probably at least partly due to the fact it is vast, deep, dense and dark. It's apparently a dam depressing place to go, and I wonder if some of the people who kill themselves there do so on the spur of the moment. Most people hang themselves from tree limbs, but there is also a waterfall there that has become an appealing spot to jump from.
    In any event, it has become such a popular suicide destination that every year, the authorities organize a "body hunt". In 2002, 78 were found, beating the previous record (73) set in 1998. We can only guess at how many bodies have never been found.
    People who enter the forest these days are greeted by signs urging them to reconsider, or to call police if they're feeling serious depression.
    Weird.
    Last edited by duster; 03-19-2009 at 11:33 AM.

Naturally, paranormal enthusiasts say the forest itself is haunted by malevolent forces that tempt the vulnerable to kill themeslves. Compasses go haywire, causing people to become hopelessly lost, and there are also rumours of treasure in the forest. Even forestry workers seem to have bought into the paranormal theories. They stumble across bodies so often that they've built a room at their station specifically to house them. It has two beds - one for the victim, and one for a worker to sleep next to it. Japanese folklore supposedly says that a suicide victim will become a ghost if s/he is left alone overnight. Ummmm. No thanks.
    Last edited by duster; 03-19-2009 at 11:45 AM.

RubySlippers Guest
    wow... that is heavy. signs and everything. how creepy would that be wandering in there on accident or just to check it out...so many restless souls.

Cool post, Duster. It reminds me of the forest of the suicides in Dante's Inferno.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Awesome story

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

A picture of the place. It is beautiful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

I read somewhere that the only place in the world that attracts more suicides is the Golden Gate Bridge in California.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    I read somewhere that the only place in the world that attracts more suicides is the Golden Gate Bridge in California.

I was just reading that too. How freaking creepy! Imagine being in the woods and hearing voices telling you to kill yourself
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

hlh004 Guest
    that is an awesome story very interesting

beatlebaby4 Guest
    That's cool Duter. I read that somewhere yesterday. Cool and weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Miho View Post
    I was just reading that too. How freaking creepy! Imagine being in the woods and hearing voices telling you to kill yourself
    Yikes.
    Here's a quote from one of the web sites I saw:

"Spiritualists say that the trees themselves are filled with a malevolent energy, accumulated from centuries of suicides. They don't want you to go back out."

There is a documentary about that, it actually shows people jumping. If you want to see it Netflix has it. I couldn't finish it, it was too sad.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

RubySlippers Guest
    Yikes.

"Spiritualists say that the trees themselves are filled with a malevolent energy, accumulated from centuries of suicides. They don't want you to go back out."

We hags should organize a field trip. Maybe a picnic. Too cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    There is a documentary about that, it actually shows people jumping. If you want to see it Netflix has it. I couldn't finish it, it was too sad.
    OMFG...Imagine going to a bridge to film a doc and actually finding real victims? Gross, and as you said, sad.

steph81202 Guest
    OMFG...Imagine going to a bridge to film a doc and actually finding real victims? Gross, and as you said, sad.

It's called The Bridge, the film maker set up a camera and filmed the bridge night and day for some time, a year I believe. He didn't tell anyone why he was doing and even lied on his application for a permit. He talked to many family members of those who jumped. Highly criticized but a very powerful film.

http://www.thebridge-themovie.com/new/index.html

Jazbabee Guest
    Japan just has some of the coooolest stuff !!!!!

RebelRocker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by steph81202 View Post
    It's called The Bridge, the film maker set up a camera and filmed the bridge night and day for some time, a year I believe. He didn't tell anyone why he was doing and even lied on his application for a permit. He talked to many family members of those who jumped. Highly criticized but a very powerful film.

http://www.thebridge-themovie.com/new/index.html
    it does seem like a good movie to watch. i bet i would cry if i seen it. they want to put barriers so that the jumpers cant jump. putting up barriers wont necessarily stop them for killing themselves if they are determined to jump. i have mixed feelings about the barriers being put up.

Very weird and interesting. I would like to see the height of the waterfall. Any pics?

Groovy....this should make for some hellagood googling material.

Mods should we put a pic warning in the title?

With that said. Those pics are AWESOME
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mods should we put a pic warning in the title?
    I see your point. Either a warning or I could edit my posts to be only hyperlinks, for the sake of the squeamish. I think that only the OP or a Mod can edit the title.

With that said. Those pics are AWESOME
    Totally!

Oh yeah - great stuff FM. I can't believe human bones are just left laying around like that.

Also, I just read on a blog that "recently" there have been 300 disappearances in the forest. Sounds exagerrated, but there you go.

Fujicakes Guest
    Wow, that's so cool!

Must feel creepy there though. The sadness there must feel heavy.

Nicksmorbidfascination Guest
    ahh thats creepy, no wonder some japanese scary movies i have seen are so spooky, they probably get their inspiration from places like this!!!

Guest Guest
    What a spooky place! I wouldn't want to visit!

Oh no, what a sad, sad place. So many lost souls.

carebearsluv Guest
    I've read about this place

Chevyheaven Guest
    Oh really? hmm.. MIL has always wanted to take a trip to the far east. Japan you say.. well well.. Looks like Mama is getting a special present this year. Yay for Duster!
    MIL thanks you!

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Yikes.

Chevyheaven Guest
    """wwhoooosh....whooooshe....." " Ohh beatlebaby..we are the trees..we are calling for you..come see us, we miss you... "

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    """wwhoooosh....whooooshe....." " Ohh beatlebaby..we are the trees..we are calling for you..come see us, we miss you... "
    Hehe

Lita Guest

The head is green! The head is GREEN! That's not right!

Quote Originally Posted by Lita View Post
    The head is green! The head is GREEN! That's not right!
    Just moss. Must be the North side of the skull.

wow amazing , something to google later, I will be taking a trip to Japan in a couple of months and will try to get to the Sea of Trees to see this .

I'm sure I've mentioned this place before. Thanks for bringing it up Duster! It's called "Jukai" in Japanese, meaning "sea of trees."

I've been to the area, and asked a taxi driver about it. He said that he's lived in the area his whole life, so if he needs to drive through part of the Jukai he can get back out--but he can never seem to get out the same way he came in.

Japan has a lot of folks who choose commit suicide by jumping in front of speeding commuter trains--whole 'nuther thread there, man. But these jumps throw the jam-packed trains off schedule, so riders are usually somewhat less than sympathetic when this happens. People will mutter "FFS, you want to off yerself, go get lost in the damn jukai, and don't screw up everyone else's day."

FYI, the notes posted in Fool Moon's tell people to think of their families/not to waste their lives/to turn back and go home now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

DisneyStacy Guest
    There are a few more pics at this link:

http://digg.com/travel_places/Photos...cides_in_Japan
    (the site is in Spanish)

kimba Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aokigaharajapanfq5.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	13179

Oh no..this place isn't scary at all.....
    yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...

NOVSTORM Guest
    What a great Post !!!!!!!!11

Outlier Guest
    Day-um! Fascinating. The Bridge is great. I think its inspiration was a really amazing New Yorker piece from several years ago. Terrific article, linked here:

http://www.newyorker.com/archive/200.../031013fa_fact

But this...this raises the hag hair on the back of my neck! Going Googling...

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Those pics are neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool Moon View Post
    Just moss. Must be the North side of the skull.

LMFAO...I was thinking the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    I'm sure I've mentioned this place before. Thanks for bringing it up Duster! It's called "Jukai" in Japanese, meaning "sea of trees."

I've been to the area, and asked a taxi driver about it. He said that he's lived in the area his whole life, so if he needs to drive through part of the Jukai he can get back out--but he can never seem to get out the same way he came in.

Japan has a lot of folks who choose commit suicide by jumping in front of speeding commuter trains--whole 'nuther thread there, man. But these jumps throw the jam-packed trains off schedule, so riders are usually somewhat less than sympathetic when this happens. People will mutter "FFS, you want to off yerself, go get lost in the damn jukai, and don't screw up everyone else's day."

FYI, the notes posted in Fool Moon's tell people to think of their families/not to waste their lives/to turn back and go home now.
    Oh there you are - I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this Judy (and thanks much for the translation)...I would love to visit this place - as clearly many others do. I just can't imagine walking through a forest and coming across a skeleton, or worse, a rotting body. At least with the Golden Gate Bridge there are no remnants of victims left lying around.

Quote Originally Posted by herekittykitty View Post
    Thank you, herekittykitty.

I was hoping that someone could translate the signs.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyStacy View Post
    There are a few more pics at this link:

http://digg.com/travel_places/Photos...cides_in_Japan
    (the site is in Spanish)
    Thanks DS. Excellent shots. Can anyone tell if the hanging victim is a man or a woman? I'm curious for some unfathomable reason...

And HKK, do you know whether people there really believe the forest is haunted by killler ghosts? I think I prefer to believe that the people who go there are coerced into killing themselves. Very Stephen King.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    They sat there and filmed that instead of trying to help them???

Shano Guest
    OHHHH spooky, spooky! So why are the bodies left there so long? Don't the families go looking for them? I am sure some of them leave notes....

"Went to the forest to off myself, look for the mossy tree on the left side of the road."

or something like that right?

RogerV Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fool moon View Post
    just moss. Must be the north side of the skull.

*snort!*

Quote Originally Posted by ihearttinytim View Post
    They sat there and filmed that instead of trying to help them???
    they had a camera set up for a year.
    they weren't sitting there behind it the whole time, I imagine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    OHHHH spooky, spooky! So why are the bodies left there so long? Don't the families go looking for them? I am sure some of them leave notes....

"Went to the forest to off myself, look for the mossy tree on the left side of the road."

or something like that right?
    this made me giggle