Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amelia Earhart

GuiltyLittleDeathHag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    Scientists use letter saliva in final attempt to solve riddle of what happened to aviator Amelia Earhart

The mystery of what happened to the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic when she vanished over the Pacific Ocean almost 75 years ago is still yet to be solved.
    But scientists have now given Amelia Earhart's family new hope as they attempt to obtain a DNA profile for the pilot from her saliva - taken from envelope seals.
    A bone fragment was found on the South Pacific island of Nikumaroro two years ago and it is believed to have come from one of her fingers, but this has not been proven.

DNA match: Scientists are using Amelia Earhart's saliva to create a DNA profile to find if a bone fragment discovered on an island after the 1937 plane crash is hers

All possible traces of her DNA on clothing or hair have now dried up or are considered unreliable, and the bone fragment found could even have belonged to a sea turtle.
    A female aviation museum in Cleveland was once believed to have one of her hair samples, but a study two years ago found this specimen was actually only thread.

But because she sent personal letters to her family and these were removed from their envelopes with letter openers, the original seals are still licked shut.
    Researchers will compare DNA from the samples against living relatives to determine a match and will take a few months to build a profile, reported Time magazine.

Location: Ms Earhart vanished during her flight across the Pacific Ocean and may have died on Nikumaroro island after a suspected bone fragment was found there

Ms Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, vanished over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 as they tried to fly around the world following the Equator in their twin-engine plane.
    ??Anyone can go and find a turtle shell and be like: ??I found Amelia Earhart's remains???, said Justin Long of Burnaby, Canada, whose family is partially funding the project.
    He is the grandson of 1970s aviator Elgen Long, who wrote the book ??Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved?? with his wife in 1999.
    Mr Long told National Geographic: ??We asked: ??How can we take wild claims like this and bring legitimacy back into the Amelia Earhart mystery?? And so we started looking at everything at our disposal.??

Lost: Ms Earhart was an aviation trailblazer, becoming the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean in 1932, before she died after crashing five years later

Researchers have looked at 400 letters between Earhart and other people, finding four letters to her family which could be the most useful as she probably sealed them.
    Genetic archaeologist Dongya Yang, of Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, Canada, is leading the project.
    He will first carefully steam the seals open and take mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from mothers, and nuclear DNA, containing most of our genetic information.

Evidence: Scientists hope these finger bone fragments found by researchers on the South Pacific island of Nikumaroro will match Ms Earhart's saliva DNA profile

If both types can be obtained then scientists will be able to create a genetic profile that will enable any potential remains to be identified.
    ??When we have the best technique available, that's when we'll move on to the real letters,?? Dr Yang told National Geographic.
    ??A strong licking or a light licking may leave more or less cells with the seal,' he added.

Experts say Dr Yang??s methodology is reasonable, but his team will find it more challenging to find nuclear than mitochondrial DNA, as each cell has only one copy.
    Very interesting. I really love women who are ahead of their time and have some great talent or passion. What a great woman she was.

About the DNA, could they possibly test relatives of hers to get at least a partial match to go on?!

radiojane Guest
    Cool that this is such a "Canadian" project right now. I too found her a fascinating persona, and it would be pretty cool to put the mystery to rest.

rjbrasher Guest
    wow wouldn't that be something they could solve this? I personally don't think it will ever happen, but man they are alot closer to something then they were years ago.

Winslow Guest
    Is the Amelia Earhart mystery finally about to be solved? Diving team to explore plane wreckage at bottom of ocean

Last edited by Winslow; 03-03-2011 at 10:15 AM. Reason: linked twice. Oops

RebelRocker Guest
    i really hope they found out what happened to her.

Giada Guest
    "Rust and coral covered plane." Good article, would like to have seen more info on the diving expedition.

Klopek Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Klopek View Post
    Amelia died in 1980 as Irene Craigmille Bolam.
    I 'm tellin' you!

rainydaywoman43 Guest
    I was able to catch a lot of the movie recently and found it fascinating. I think , in response to another poster who was curious about her gender preferences, i wouldnt come to the conclusion that she wa gay, only on the fact that she had an affair with a male. she might have been bisexual. She seemed to radiate that sort of persona. whatever that may be to different people.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rainydaywoman43 View Post
    I was able to catch a lot of the movie recently and found it fascinating. I think , in response to another poster who was curious about her gender preferences, i wouldnt come to the conclusion that she wa gay, only on the fact that she had an affair with a male. she might have been bisexual. She seemed to radiate that sort of persona. whatever that may be to different people.
    Hey my gaydar is seldom wrong and the needle pegs on Lesbian with this lady!
    People married then for appearances sake and her husband was her business manager.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Hey my gaydar is seldom wrong and the needle pegs on Lesbian with this lady!
    People married then for appearances sake and her husband was her business manager.
    Regards,
    Mary
    Hey, who really cares; unless we're planning to "hit" on her?

I think she was pretty, I did read a letter she supposedly wrote to her future husband suggesting that it would be a marriage pretty much in name only.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I rekon she is fish food. She is as elusive as the Japanese gold that was pupported to be buried somewhere in the Philippines (which Marcos found).
    Last edited by neilmpenny; 09-11-2011 at 01:45 PM.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Amelia Earhart's googles set to be auctioned

GOD IS NOT DEAD

aedgar5000 Guest
    Very cool slice of history.

Amazing how those goggles are still in pretty good shape many decades later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouya Ohtori Ouran Host View Post
    Amazing how those goggles are still in pretty good shape many decades later.
    Not a biggie. In the first attempt a tyre blew and the plane pancaked, so the goggles would not have been remotely damaged.

Btw, the goggles fetched 31K at auction.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well here we are years after this thread was started, still with no answers. Ughhhh..

That would totally suck to survive a plane crash only to die on a island and getting gobbled up by crabs!!!

I haven't read much into it, but any idea what her "hubby" did after she was declared?
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Well here we are years after this thread was started, still with no answers. Ughhhh..

That would totally suck to survive a plane crash only to die on a island and getting gobbled up by crabs!!!

I haven't read much into it, but any idea what her "hubby" did after she was declared?
    I wondered about all that too.

From Wiki:

"George Putnam had Earhart declared dead on January 5, 1939, and remarried on May 21 of that year to Jean-Marie Cosigny James.

In 1938, Putnam set up a new publishing company in California, George Palmer Putnam Inc.

With America's entry into World War II in 1941, he rejoined the active military, serving as an intelligence officer, enlisting as a captain and rising to the rank of major by 1942. In 1945, he and "Jeannie" divorced; she had initiated the action, citing incompatibility. Shortly after, he remarried again, to Margaret Havilland.

In late 1949, Putnam fell ill, suffering from kidney failure; he died in Trona, California in the first week of 1950, aged 62. He was cremated and his ashes were interred in the Chapel of the Pines Crematory in Los Angeles.
    "

Quote Originally Posted by Ludigan View Post
    From Wiki:

"George Putnam had Earhart declared dead on January 5, 1939, and remarried on May 21 of that year to Jean-Marie Cosigny James.

In 1938, Putnam set up a new publishing company in California, George Palmer Putnam Inc.

With America's entry into World War II in 1941, he rejoined the active military, serving as an intelligence officer, enlisting as a captain and rising to the rank of major by 1942. In 1945, he and "Jeannie" divorced; she had initiated the action, citing incompatibility. Shortly after, he remarried again, to Margaret Havilland.

In late 1949, Putnam fell ill, suffering from kidney failure; he died in Trona, California in the first week of 1950, aged 62. He was cremated and his ashes were interred in the Chapel of the Pines Crematory in Los Angeles."
    Hey there!! Thank you so much!! He sure liked beng married huh?
    My Posse's On Broadway

loubear625 Guest
    Years ago I read many books on Amelia - I wish I could remember the two guys names but they had a serious rivalary going on. I also wish I could remember even half of the info that I had in my brain on her back in the day. The woman is very facinating as is her story. Would love to finally have the mystery solved. Thanks for this thread!

Fred The Fop Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Some said that she went down the Bermuda Triangle,A school teacher taught us that her plane landed in New Guinea and the native ate her (because They were known for eating people
    Your teacher was very off, since she was nowhere near, nor had fuel to reach New guinea.
    And the Bermuda Triangle idea is complete stupidity. It's so stupid, that one needs look at a map of the world to see how ridiculous it is.

TheMysterian Guest
    US joins search for Amelia Earhart remains after new photo analysis

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...photo-analysis

Maybe when they find her they can work on finding Glenn Miller. He too disappeared while on a flight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMysterian View Post
    US joins search for Amelia Earhart remains after new photo analysis

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/20...photo-analysis
    Where is the photo?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

radiojane Guest
    I know it's none of my beeswax, but I'm glad they noted that this expedition is privately funded. The US does not have the moolah to go looking for Earhart right now.

RebelRocker Guest
    ok question, if the picture is from when the first went looking for her, how do they know the plane is still there. have they not taken any recent photos of the plane and or island when they recovered the bone fragments?

Town Without Pity Guest
    It would be great to find out what happened to her but I have a feeling we will never know.....I've read several books and watched the movie with Hillery...the movie made me want more.....I'm not a big fan of hers personally.

Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Where is the photo?
    If you scroll down to the middle of the link, there is a 1937 photo. Look to the left, and you can barely see something sticking out of the water. This is the original photo, not the enhanced.

Found this link showing the enhanced photo:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20...art/?hpt=hp_t3

It's pretty fuzzy.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 03-21-2012 at 07:51 AM. Reason: added link
    Cindy

It's Nessie!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    Scientists use letter saliva in final attempt to solve riddle of what happened to aviator Amelia Earhart

The mystery of what happened to the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic when she vanished over the Pacific Ocean almost 75 years ago is still yet to be solved.
    But scientists have now given Amelia Earhart's family new hope as they attempt to obtain a DNA profile for the pilot from her saliva - taken from envelope seals.
    A bone fragment was found on the South Pacific island of Nikumaroro two years ago and it is believed to have come from one of her fingers, but this has not been proven.

DNA match: Scientists are using Amelia Earhart's saliva to create a DNA profile to find if a bone fragment discovered on an island after the 1937 plane crash is hers

All possible traces of her DNA on clothing or hair have now dried up or are considered unreliable, and the bone fragment found could even have belonged to a sea turtle.
    A female aviation museum in Cleveland was once believed to have one of her hair samples, but a study two years ago found this specimen was actually only thread.

But because she sent personal letters to her family and these were removed from their envelopes with letter openers, the original seals are still licked shut.
    Researchers will compare DNA from the samples against living relatives to determine a match and will take a few months to build a profile, reported Time magazine.

Location: Ms Earhart vanished during her flight across the Pacific Ocean and may have died on Nikumaroro island after a suspected bone fragment was found there

Ms Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, vanished over the Pacific Ocean in 1937 as they tried to fly around the world following the Equator in their twin-engine plane.
    ‘Anyone can go and find a turtle shell and be like: “I found Amelia Earhart's remains”’, said Justin Long of Burnaby, Canada, whose family is partially funding the project.
    He is the grandson of 1970s aviator Elgen Long, who wrote the book ‘Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved’ with his wife in 1999.
    Mr Long told National Geographic: ‘We asked: “How can we take wild claims like this and bring legitimacy back into the Amelia Earhart mystery?” And so we started looking at everything at our disposal.’

Lost: Ms Earhart was an aviation trailblazer, becoming the first woman to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean in 1932, before she died after crashing five years later

Researchers have looked at 400 letters between Earhart and other people, finding four letters to her family which could be the most useful as she probably sealed them.
    Genetic archaeologist Dongya Yang, of Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, Canada, is leading the project.
    He will first carefully steam the seals open and take mitochondrial DNA, which is inherited from mothers, and nuclear DNA, containing most of our genetic information.

Evidence: Scientists hope these finger bone fragments found by researchers on the South Pacific island of Nikumaroro will match Ms Earhart's saliva DNA profile

If both types can be obtained then scientists will be able to create a genetic profile that will enable any potential remains to be identified.
    ‘When we have the best technique available, that's when we'll move on to the real letters,’ Dr Yang told National Geographic.
    ‘A strong licking or a light licking may leave more or less cells with the seal,' he added.

Experts say Dr Yang’s methodology is reasonable, but his team will find it more challenging to find nuclear than mitochondrial DNA, as each cell has only one copy.
    who is her family??

Quote Originally Posted by Fred The Fop View Post
    Your teacher was very off, since she was nowhere near, nor had fuel to reach New guinea.
    And the Bermuda Triangle idea is complete stupidity. It's so stupid, that one needs look at a map of the world to see how ridiculous it is.
    for teachers everywhere I apologize. and you can tell her I said so.

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    If you scroll down to the middle of the link, there is a 1937 photo. Look to the left, and you can barely see something sticking out of the water. This is the original photo, not the enhanced.

Found this link showing the enhanced photo:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/20...art/?hpt=hp_t3

It's pretty fuzzy.
    Thanks Buttercup. I think it could be anything and they are really clutching at straws.

Neat way to beat up funding though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by pksgigi View Post
    Maybe when they find her they can work on finding Glenn Miller. He too disappeared while on a flight.
    I don't think they are in the mood.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

radiojane Guest

bahaha!

Nelliebean Guest
    Badumdum!

Cindy

Perfidious bastards!

My father always believed that Amelia and her navigator, Fred Noonan, fell in love and decided to "disappear".

Noonan was a newly wed and I just kind of doubt that; but who knows.

I've been reading a book called "East To The Dawn" about Amelia; she was a fascinating person.

I believe that she was either bi or a lesbian; not that it matters to me; I think she was very attractive. I did read a letter wherin she accepted Putnam's offer of marriage; but basically said that she reserved "certain rights"; making it a marriage primarily in name.

Noonan was one of the most able and accomplished navigators of the day; he actually pioneered many of the commercial routes across the oceans when he was with Pan American; and had navigated to Howland Island before.

If his calculations had been off by just a degree or two; they could easily have missed their tiny mark by a couple of hundred miles; travelling at an approximate speed of 145 mph.

I choose to believe that they missed their mark, ran out of fuel and ditched at sea.

The book implies that both Earhart and Noonan were woefully unfamiliar with their radio equipment; especially the radio direction finder; and that neither of them knew Morse Code; and that some of the ships dispatched to help guide them could only tranmit in Morse Code..

I've read the stuff about the evidence found at Nikumororo. The most compelling piece of it to me is that they claim to have found a sextant box.
    Noonan, a former seaman and ship's Captain; was known to use a sextant during aerial navigation; which I guess is a bit rare.

I hope we get an answer, I hope they find the plane; I wish they had made it.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I have, from when I was little, been fascinated with this. I have been hoping that one day some team will find the truth. I really hope someone finds something
    and that we will finally know what the fu** happend on that day. That said...can't sonar going along the bottom find a plane? I mean kinda like the titanic?
    I guess not if it's deep and it's just a small plane. idk. Just hope one day someone finds something! sorry, I'm ramblin, only cuz I'm depressed and have to
    go to work early in the AM.

TheMysterian Guest
    Previously dismissed radio signals were credible transmissions from Earhart

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...#ixzz1wfJXb7bs

following up on mysterian, this article
    http://hotair.com/archives/2012/06/0...earhart-found/
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

It's kind of odd how it was stated on a documentary a few years back (I think it was on PBS), that Amelia was not properly trained in using her new radio and may have been on the wrong frequency asking for help (if my memory is serving me right, correct me if I'm not remembering this right). I'm getting the impression from these new articles, that she may have been using her radio properly.

I really hope they do find the Electra this summer. This may be one of the longest searches ever for a lost crew.
    Last edited by Buttercup; 06-03-2012 at 10:06 AM.
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    It's kind of odd how it was stated on a documentary a few years back (I think it was on PBS), that Amelia was not properly trained in using her new radio and may have been on the wrong frequency asking for help (if my memory is serving me right, correct me if I'm not remembering this right). I'm getting the impression from these new articles, that she may have been using her radio properly.

I really hope they do find the Electra this summer. This may be one of the longest searches ever for a lost crew.
    Yeah, I read that somewhere. I think the reason they dismissed her radio transmissions as hoax is because they were already set on what probably happened and couldn't think out of the box. Stupid.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

rjbrasher Guest
    god how horrible would that be! sitting on this island, and when shit finally hits the fan, tides and waves sucks the plane away, and you know days went by, and you know omg this is it, i'm doing to die. and no one will ever find me! I rather have her dead on impact of the crash then knowing she was walking around on the island waiting til she withered away.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    If the latest theories pan out, I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to have landed on that island and have to wait... knowing you are going to die if not found. Then to actually have it happen. The psychological horror! Ugh.

A facecream jar, who else could have left it?

Bidmor Guest
    After reading this article, I'm very skeptical about TIGHAR's claims and what's stated in the article makes sense to me. If Earhart and Noonan survived for a while on the island, their remains and possessions would have been discovered long ago. If nothing else, how could Noonan (a top navigator of his time) and Earhart been so far off course from Howland? No, I believe Earhart and Noonan ran out of fuel and ditched in the ocean, probably being killed upon impact.
    http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4295
    Last edited by Bidmor; 06-05-2012 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rjbrasher View Post
    god how horrible would that be! sitting on this island, and when shit finally hits the fan, tides and waves sucks the plane away, and you know days went by, and you know omg this is it, i'm doing to die. and no one will ever find me! I rather have her dead on impact of the crash then knowing she was walking around on the island waiting til she withered away.
    Dude I said the same freakin thing - I would much rather "think" that it was an impact death and not a sit and watch eachother die kinda thing... You know they are gonna say whatever they can to save their asses now.

If only she would have had a freakin soccer ball...
    My Posse's On Broadway

Still think we will one day truly know what
    happened.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

If only she would have had a freakin soccer ball...

Wasn't it a volleyball? Lol.... WILSON!!

Quote Originally Posted by soaring_butterfly View Post
    Wasn't it a volleyball? Lol.... WILSON!!
    OMG - you are sooooo right!!! What was I thinking?
    My Posse's On Broadway