Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Holocaust

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Here is the link for the museum in Michigan. Lots of good interactive things on the site, as well as a virtual tour.

I didn't see the paperclips this time, but I only spent a few minutes. If I figure it out, I'll tell you, though. Now I'm curious, too.

STsFirstmate Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    I like the idea of arrested decay. Could be a great band name too!
    I think we are on to something maybe. We could get Billy Mays to pitch it. Arrested decay stop the sags the droops! It doesn't look good but it could look worse!

endsleigh03 Guest
    They brought one of the Holocaust boxcars to my daughters school a few weeks ago.

I went inside and it only took about 2 minutes inside that thing before my eyes were welling up.

I got pictures and I am going to run a thread on it.

Grim, grim, grim. Horrible looking thing, inside and out, when you think of what it was used for.

This may have something to do with it.

As a part of their study of the Holocaust, the children of the Whitwell, TN Middle School try to collect 6 million paper clips representing the 6 million Jews killed by the Nazis.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Lisamarie Guest
    It must be kept a reminder of what people are capable of.......people need to see I hope I get to go one day I can only imagine what it feels like...I have also seen that video of the villagers wlaking through after ....yeah I always wonder how they could not know.....I mean where did they think that ash was coming from.

Maruz83 Guest
    They need to preserve it as much as possible so people can have a reminder of the evil one group of people can cause to another......... and as some one above posted ... if not we are doomed to repeat it.

In Los Angeles they have the Museum of Tolorance(sp), back in 1997 they had display of the HOLOCAUST. They gave you a pass-a-port, and you went through everything from the being to the end. They had a replica of a gas chamber, and pictures of all the people being killed, you walked throught the camp doors, saw your new living areas and half the group was sent to the gas chamber where the tour guide would talk to you about the deaths as the room filled with "poison"... a lot of people started crying and could not take it..... at the end of the tour you take your pass-a-port and scan it to see you if your person lived or died..... mine was a little boy that died at Auschwitz.

Am not sure if the museum still does this.......

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I am really surprised that it is still standing...If I had been effected by the holocaust I would wanna rip it down brick by brick...

BooMom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cettie View Post
    It should be preserved in all it's grimness so that people won't forget. In this country we have the Holocaust museum and the artifacts and energy in there is gripping to say the least. They have an original train car set up that carried people to the death camps, bins of personal goods and mounds of their hair remain. The hair of the jews is what the nazi's sent to mattress factories for stuffing. In one of the galleries are the gate posts from Auschwitz with the slogan "in work there is freedom".It's a 5 story museum, you start at the top and go down a level until you come back to the ground floor. Energy in there so heavy I couldn't make it past the third floor before I had to leave and come back later to finish it.

"Arbeit macht frei" I literally starting shaking when I saw that.
    - did you have the undeniable urge to destroy those
    sumbitchin' gates with your bare hands? I know I did !

BooMom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    I've been to the Holocaust muesem in Michigan. (I'm pretty sure I posted a link, maybe in the Anne Frank thread?)

It's incredibly sobering and I pretty much cried all the way through it.

I can see having a memroial park with flowers or trees, across from Auschwitz, or near it, where people can pay their respect for the lives lost, or a chapel or temple. But nothing other than a very respectful monument of what could have been.

Whole families were wiped out. Think of the intellect and the artists and writers and just everyday people who were contributing their bit to society.

I always want to know, how do the deniers explain all the documentation? I mean, film and camera and such weren't exactly advanced then. A doctored picture would be really easy to debunk.
    Not just whole families - There is an area in the DC Holocaust museum
    (museum is 5 stories tall ) It's a small open atrium - goes up alllll 5 stories,
    and is nothing but pics of people from ONE TOWN that was completely wiped off the face of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Maruz83 View Post
    They need to preserve it as much as possible so people can have a reminder of the evil one group of people can cause to another......... and as some one above posted ... if not we are doomed to repeat it.

In Los Angeles they have the Museum of Tolorance(sp), back in 1997 they had display of the HOLOCAUST. They gave you a pass-a-port, and you went through everything from the being to the end. They had a replica of a gas chamber, and pictures of all the people being killed, you walked throught the camp doors, saw your new living areas and half the group was sent to the gas chamber where the tour guide would talk to you about the deaths as the room filled with "poison"... a lot of people started crying and could not take it..... at the end of the tour you take your pass-a-port and scan it to see you if your person lived or died..... mine was a little boy that died at Auschwitz.

Am not sure if the museum still does this.......
    I hope they do. Sounds very powerful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BooMom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FannyB1923 View Post
    I say don't change it at all but keep it as a historic site. Let Time take it, but don't let anything else ever be built on that site, apart from a monument to mark the most hellish place in the history of humanity.

As for museums, there's Yad Vashem in Israel, and the Holocaust Memorial Museum in DC as well. Very informative as well as sobering.

Most important of all, there's a Testimony Project where any survivor can be videotaped and tell their story of how the Holocaust affected them and their families.
    I think any creep that denies the Holocaust (psycho whack jobs they are too), or thugs that deface synagogues, should be sentenced to a hundred hours of viewing Testimony....minimum!
    The Shoah project - close to my heart.

BooMom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    (museum is 5 stories tall ) It's a small open atrium - goes up alllll 5 stories,
    and is nothing but pics of people from ONE TOWN that was completely wiped off the face of the earth.
    Sorry, was mistaken - is 3 stories high -

http://www.ushmm.org/uia-cgi/uia_doc...?uf=uia_uXrdUk

Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacker View Post
    It has to be saved. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. There are enough nutjobs who deny the Holocaust ever happened. Auschwitz must not be left to rot away. It is the only voice those victims have.
    This states my sentiments EXACTLY. Who will speak for those who are gone? The site does it more than any words ever could.

Quote Originally Posted by BooMom View Post
    I live three hours from DC and still have not made it to this museum. I really want to go, but want to pick a time when we will have time to SEE the museum and not be pushed around by school groups.

I still think one of the most powerful things I EVER experienced in school was when we watched "Schindler's List" UNCUT. Some of the other history classes fast forwarded and such, but my teacher showed it in full. I was always grateful for that.

BooMom Guest
    Dulcinea, I would think one of the better times to go would be during the week, but while school breaks are on. ( Week of Xmas, or week leading up to New Years Day. )

God, if I lived in that area, my poor hubs would never see me! Between the Smithsonians, Gettysburg, and Holocaust, I'd be gone for days !

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcinea View Post
    I live three hours from DC and still have not made it to this museum. I really want to go, but want to pick a time when we will have time to SEE the museum and not be pushed around by school groups.

I still think one of the most powerful things I EVER experienced in school was when we watched "Schindler's List" UNCUT. Some of the other history classes fast forwarded and such, but my teacher showed it in full. I was always grateful for that.

Yeah the school groups are INCREDIBLY annoying. They should only let them in during specific times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

Nosgothic Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    That's the one. I remember the paperclips, but dang if I remember what is symbolized.

Hmmmm, let me look around their site and see if I can tell. I'll link it again, too, I think it's worth revisiting.
    I think I'm about due to go to the museum. I'll let you know if I find out.

I wondered if the atrocities that were done to these people in the death camps has been discussed here anywhere. I have been looking through a couple of the threads but haven't seen anything thus far. I have always been deeply bothered by the holocaust and over the years I have heard different stories that shock me to the core. For example, in the movie Nuremburg, one Jewish lady testifies that on one occasion there was a shortage of the gas that was used in the gas chambers so the children were thrown into the ovens alive - and they could hear the sounds of their screams. Other stories like the experiements performed on them and their skin being used for lamp shades, etc. As much as I am appauled, I am still interested in it and wasn't sure if this has been talked about here. Thanks to anyone who can point me in that direction. I will keep looking as well.

Later,
    Tamie

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MorbidMolly View Post
    It should be experienced in all it`s horror.....upkeep yeah.....joy rides, hell no
    They need to put up photos of the people that were torured there and murdered. Let people see what went on there ..God it makes me want to cry.

Damn straight, it should be preserved. This should ALWAYS be a reminder to us of just what people are capable of. It's a lot easier to forget when there isn't physical evidence to confront us. Just look at how many people deny it happened already.
    Just drink lots of Kool-Aid, and take one of these blue pills three times a day.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    There is an archeological term called arrested decay. That means to preserve from additional deterioration but no restoration beyond the current condition. I think that is appropriate here.
    Mary
    Hiroshima's Atomic Bomb Dome has been kept as nearly as possible to the state it was left in after the bombing in 1945.

Here it is around 1930:

Here it is soon after the bombing:

Here is how it looks now:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wow, that was some huge-open-mouthed-but-totally-straight-bromance greeting. (爆)~RaRa

The Holocaust Memorial / Museum in DC was emotional enough for me. Horrible.

radiojane Guest
    Auschwitz isn't something I would ever care to see. I'm not a Holocaust denier, and I'm not unaffected by the events. Personally, I'd really like to see it demolished. Let the dead rest. I'm not big on monuments of this sort. This is where I'm a complete and total hypocrite, coward, whatever. I'll do the death hag thing to a certain extent, but a concentration camp isn't something I'd want around.

However, for those who need to see auschwitz as a ground zero, a place to grieve or even just a place to learn, it obviously serves a valuable purpose, so it should be kept up.

Either demolish it completely or maintain it as a museum.

Shano Guest
    Like so many have already said, I think it should be preserved. It serves as a reminder of what we humans can do to each other. It also serves as a reminder to the world what can happen when you allow someone like Hitler to become a valid leader.

Last year I read "The Lost, A Search for Six of Six Million" by Daniel Mendelsohn. It is just one of the many books that show the Holocaust didn't just affect the world during and right after WWII but for generations. And in fact still affects families today. I have met 2 people that have not only the stories to tell but the physical proof that the Holocaust happened. The arm tattoos make you want to wrap your arms around them and take their pain, their memories away. But no one can. Not even time.

The Holocaust has left a scar on this world. Leave Auschwitz to remind us of those scars that will never go away, just like the arm tattoos.

Littleroben Guest
    I think basically they should leave it like a museum, its important to remember the horror of what went on. I don't know what the site is like but I do genuinely think it would be nice to have a garden of rememberance there too, just somewhere that people could have time to sit and think quietly.

I think it needs to remain as a memorial. It should be preserved, but not changed or altered to modernize. I think the negative energy that still is felt by people who visit the site is proof that the devastation and horror that was carried out in these places still vibrates and has left a strong imprint, a haunted and hallowed sadness. I for one could not visit Auschwitz, it would be too much for me and I don't need to see it for the horror to be tangible for me.

27. 03-06-2009, 01:14 PM

laynesgrl Guest

Mystery of a Message in a Bottle

I really wasn't for sure where to post this but it does deal with the murders of millions in WWII. I thought it was interesting that this was found while some are still alive.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090509...20090509160105

MorbidMolly Guest
    "It was an attempt to leave a trace of our existence as we thought we were going to die,"

Amazing post

Sam Guest
    That's incredible!

That is so cool, I'm glad some of those people are still alive to see their bottle found.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

laynesgrl Guest
    Me too, Nessa!! I was very surprised actually. It seems that there aren't that many survivors anymore!

STsFirstmate Guest
    I am trying to wrap my brain around part of a death camp being a school now. Talk about your bad karma and negative spirits! Yikes!
    Regards,
    Mary

Guest Guest
    Powerful and emotive!

Amazing. The heroes at all the death camps deserve our utmost respect. That this bottle would be found while they were still alive is powerful.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    I am trying to wrap my brain around part of a death camp being a school now. Talk about your bad karma and negative spirits! Yikes!
    Regards,
    Mary

Yes, I found that odd too. Maybe the good karma will outweigh the bad.

In a Sea of Sorrow Guest
    I was touched by the article. I am so glad the bottle was found while some of the survivors are still alive. My grandparents fled Hungary during the First World War. My family were considered Gypsies.

laynesgrl Guest
    I wasn't sure where to post this:

But, this is in regards to the last of the Nazi trials

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090703/...many_demjanjuk

Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I know someone that is American,her parents American and never went to Germany. Yet she let something in her family tree slip in high school once and was persecuted for it.
    She was related distantly to Rudolph Hess.
    Her Grandfather was a Hess and during the war, he and his wife got many death threats. They ran a toy store and never had been in Germany and were not against
    any religion,race or gender. They did know who 'Uncle Rudy' was though.
    That makes me sad. Hate is wrong, no matter what direction it comes from. My Dad's family (parents, siblings) were german and fled from German occupied Poland in WWII. My grandpa likely was part of the Nazi party. No one speaks of it. My Grandmother took the kids and fled to Canada. I know that she wasn't a nazi, she worked as a cook and a maid for a jewish family here and was quite happy being a Canadian. My Grandpa, I can't speak for, he and my grandma parted ways and I never really met him, he died while I was a young child. I do think, however, that many Germans were spoon fed crap about jewish people and were brainwashed into following the Nazi party also, if you were brave enough to speak out you'd be labeled a jew sympathizer and executed. There were some truly evil people in charge in Germany, it's too bad that they were allowed to carry on for as long as they did.
    I have read the Diary of Anne Frank many times and am waiting for the day when my child will read it. I think it is so important to let the future generations know what happened, that it was real. I sat and watched 'The boy in the Striped Pajamas' with my child though and she cried when she found out who the boy really was.

tarsier Guest
    My Uncle Ralph being Croation spent time as a small boy with his Mother and Uncle in a camp His Uncle had his fingernails torn out. I could never declaw a cat after meeting him. Ralph had few memories beyond walking away after.

Long Gone Day Guest
    As a little girl, not much older than her, I read her diary and it was my first time feeling rage towards other humans. I've been horrified at are capabilities ever since. It was like being there with her. I never forget it.

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    the play i saw had stuff from the censored excerpts... it made her truly seem a person, instead of symbol!
    What was some of the censored stuff from her diary? I've never seen the revised version of the book.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

Impatience Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanwench View Post
    What was some of the censored stuff from her diary? I've never seen the revised version of the book.
    from what i can gather the stuff that was censored was about menstration, sexual feelings, and anger at her mother.

Auschwitz 'Arbeit Macht Frei' sign stolen

What the hell would anyone want with the sign?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/..._sign_stolen_4
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Who in the hells steals from a concentration camp?!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

endsleigh03 Guest
    Oh I can see it. Easily. There are plenty of morons who would do this. And might consider it a prize to have.

47. 12-18-2009, 05:08 AM

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    What the hell would anyone want with the sign?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091218/..._sign_stolen_4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    Some of the Neo-Nazi scum that I went to school with when we were living in Germany. My favorite is an ad run by some German railway network some years ago, travel to Theresienstadt, visit the concentration camp - in a sleeping carriage. I nearly hit the roof when I saw that one.

I lost family in those camps. Yeah, I'm bitter.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nessa View Post
    A REAL sick fucker, that's who !!!

Sam Guest
    I hope they find it!

STORMIE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    A REAL sick fucker, that's who !!!
    It would have to take a sick individual for this!

RodeoQueen Guest
    Damn, stealing a street sign is bad enough, but this?! WTF?! What utter scum some people are. I hope the cops find these people soon