Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Karen Carpenter

NOVSTORM Guest
    Tjose 2 kids came from a veru non affectionate home so they clung together. I don't think they were having sex. But richard was controlling like his mother and he took over Karens life. I amsure he wanted to keeo the money rolling in and I am sure he said mean and hateful things to her. I rad that his mother used to give them all kinds of pills. Valium,sleeping pills whatever so I see where his drug problem came from. I wish her ex husband would write a book and tell what he saw. He was distraught over her death and angry and there had to be things he saw that would shed lite on her anorexia and bullimia?

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I wish her ex husband would write a book and tell what he saw. He was distraught over her death and angry and there had to be things he saw that would shed lite on her anorexia and bullimia?
    Richard is the only one left alive now in the family. I really doubt he'll ever reveal anything tho.

Pryncis Guest

Karen Carpenter's house may be torn down!

Sorry if someone has already posted this one, I did a search and didn't find anything...

The current owners of Karen Carpenter's family home, where she lived when she died, want to raze it and build another house. Read on...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080216/...lDQ2BI4j0F1vAI

It should be a shrine to a Angelic voice we were blessed to hear. For too short a time I might add.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Mamma Guest
    Hhhmm, I guess I don't quite know how to feel about this one? That house, like the Jackson's in Gary Indiana, and Elvis *project* house in Tupelo became shrines as well. And c'mon, the Carpenters used the house for their own recording studios and album covers.

It's not my house, but if it were? Maybe I'd try to find a way to turn a profit somehow. Ghoulish perhaps, but it's a piece of pop culture history, and can be very lucrative, and even for the neighbors who may advertise their own business on signs nearby. Elections too! But I know neighborhoods/subdivisions also have rules and reg's to follow, and so much as a yard sign may be deemed unsightly, and lacking curb-side appeal.

I'm accustomed to seeing famous homes/businesses/cemeteries turn a profit somehow, or at the very least a tourist attraction. It's not my home though, and I'm sure the owners of the Carpenter house are in no way interested in hearing my ideas .

Thanks for the read, Pryncis!

lisalouver Guest
    Thanks for the link.

I am a huge fan of Karens and if I were ever in Downey, I know I would go by the house.

A couple of things I wanted to mention:

1) The article says that the house is 39 years old? That can not be right, or did I read it wrong?
    2) I never cease to be amazed at the amount of people who buy a home that THEY KNOW is famous and then complain when they have issues with it.

I hope they don't do it, but it sounds like they probably will. Some do shit like this just to spite fans.

Suebabe Guest
    http://www.goshennews.com/entertainm...secondarystory

Karen Carpenter's death house is going ot be torn down -- new owners tired of people peeringin windows, leaving flowers, wanting a tour, et al.

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suebabe View Post

Karen Carpenter's death house is going ot be torn down -- new owners tired of people peeringin windows, leaving flowers, wanting a tour, et al.
    Someone made a thread about this already and I posted on it that it never ceases to amaze me when people buy a house they KNOW has someone famous attached to it and then get pissed when people come by.

Idiots.

jester joker Guest
    Totally agree with you, lisalouver. I was fans of theirs before I was a teen and loved singing along to their songs. I would love to see the house, myself. As far as 39 years old, Yes, that is what was stated and I thought the same thing. However; after some research, I found out that she was born in CT in 1951. In June of 1963, the entire family moved to Downey, CA. In 1969, the Carpenters were signed with A&M Records so that would be right about the time they had the house in question built. So yeppers, it would be around 39 years old.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    It should be a shrine to a Angelic voice we were blessed to hear. For too short a time I might add.
    Boy is that an apt description, she did indeed sing like an angel. To this day no voice can de-stress me like hers...

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    I hate to be the bad girl here but it happens all the time. Lucy, Joan Crawford, Jayne Mansfield & Sharon Tate have all had there homes rebuilt. Sad as it may be life goes on.

The brother has plenty of $$$, let him buy then . . .
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

NOVSTORM Guest
    I think that the people who want that house to stay intact should have purhased that house whenit was for sale and did what they wanted to do to it. I think that waiting for someone else to buy the house and then demand that they can' tear it down or whatever to it is wrong. Maybe it just never occured to the owners that people wanted it for a memorial for Karen? There should have been something in writing when these people bought the place stating that they couldn't so anything to the house that they are paying a 2300 dollar a month mortagage for LOL

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    The brother has plenty of $$$, let him buy then . . .
    He's the one who sold it! Arsehole!

Seriously though, I don't begrudge the owners to do what they want with it, but they obviously knew it's significance when they bought it. That is my only beef with them. Don't try to make the fans look bad and say you are tearing it down because of THEM. You knew what you were getting into when you bought it from Richard!!!

jester joker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    He's the one who sold it! Arsehole!

Seriously though, I don't begrudge the owners to do what they want with it, but they obviously knew it's significance when they bought it. That is my only beef with them. Don't try to make the fans look bad and say you are tearing it down because of THEM. You knew what you were getting into when you bought it from Richard!!!
    Well put and I agree!!!!

Danny62 Guest
    This might sound stupid But I know they moved Jimi Hendrix's childhood home before it got torn down! I often have wondered how the hell you move an entire house but that is always an option!!

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Hey I like that game! Let's see, who are some of my favorites....Judy Garland....hmmmm.....Ruby Slipper-Wearing Bitch? I'm not so good at this. Angelina Jolie....Adopting Bitch? Princess Diana....Bulimic Bitch? Hey, that last one aint bad.

Maybe this is a thread...
    You've got me laughing sooo hard I'm about to pee my pants!!!

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Amy Winehouse--Beehive Bitch
    Julia Roberts--Pretty Bitch
    Diana Ross--Supreme Bitch
    Elizabeth Montgomery---The Bewitched Bitch

MIZIZVOGUE Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Suebabe View Post

NO!!! That would be such a shame!!

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZIZVOGUE View Post
    Elizabeth Montgomery---The Bewitched Bitch

Good one! And upon reflection I must amend my beloved Diana to nothing less than "Princess Bitch." Bulimia no laughing matter. But I still like the game: Elizabeth Taylor--"Lavender-Eyed Bitch?" Eh.

That's too bad about the Carpenter house.
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 03-02-2008 at 10:09 AM.

Good One!!!!

NO!!! That would be such a shame!!
    BEEHIVE BITCH!!!! I love it!

I just want to say something about anorexia. I had anorexia, I got it after the death of my best friend. I was extremely sad. I was 50, and lost over 35 lbs, got down to 95 lbs. I acquired the dictionary version of anorexia: "lack of appetite for food". I didn't have anorexia nervosa, which is what teenagers usually get - which involves bulimia, forcing oneself to barf, conscious starvation, exercising obsessively. It was a really strange thing for someone my age to have. I'm better now. Mean people said I was doing it for attention. I wish I could do it for attention, I feel like I need to lose 7 lbs. now, if it were as easy as that "doing it for attention" I would always weigh 115. I just wanted to tell you all about this, I'm not sure why. I just realized that my avatar picture was taken when I was 95 lbs, that's why I have no boobs. I think I'll change it. Thanks for listening.

Richard is married to his cousin Mary. She is the daughter of Karen's Mom's sister. Freaky, if you ask me!!

Just to clear something up, Karen's aunt adopted her so she's not actually a blood relative.

Quote Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
    Just to clear something up, Karen's aunt adopted her so she's not actually a blood relative.
    But yet, it's the point he married his COUSIN.

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    But yet, it's the point he married his COUSIN.

Still, the oogy connotations and general yucking are over the fact that they would be committing incest and their kids would have birth defects.

That isn't the case because they are only related because she was adopted and not by blood. I don't see it any differently than if it were two step-siblings that decided to get married, they aren't related by blood so I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Last edited by Wickedkitten; 04-18-2008 at 02:20 PM.

lisalouver Guest
    Still, the oogy connotations and general yucking are over the fact that they would be committing incest and their kids would have birth defects.

That isn't the case because they are only related because she was adopted and not by blood. I don't see it any differently than if it were two step-siblings that decided to get married, they aren't related by blood so I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Then you are in the minority because it is sick shit.

If a person has to marry/have sex with someone in their own family rather than choose one of the millions that ARE NOT family members, there are issues beyond what we can go into here.

Step siblings having sex and getting married? Another sick issue. Check the bible on what it says about that.

Kids from people who are related by blood do not all have birth defects. They have a higher chance, but many go on to NOT have anything wrong with them at all.

Does that make it right?

Hell no.

Having sex with anyone in your family blood, step, adopted or other is as wrong as the day is long.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    I read that about the ring too. I also heard that he tried to help her and when they broke up he was very angry and that he hated her parents because they helped her get addicted to pills and got her diet pills to begin with ! He still loved Karen and was so very angry that she died. Such a shame such a voice. Weird how her brother moved her and the parents to a new place by his new home so he can be near them.
    I worked at the mortuary/cemetery where she was originally buried. When I took my parents on a tour of the cemetery, we visited Karen. Some kind person had left some ex lax and ding dongs on her crypt. Also, my sis was working there, and saw the family be disinterred when they were being moved. I've also heard that when Karen's parents died, Richard had Karen pulled out of the family crypt so that the parents would be behind her and she'd always be in front.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsvGs...feature=colike

My own, personal, Dexter...

If a person has to marry/have sex with someone in their own family rather than choose one of the millions that ARE NOT family members, there are issues beyond what we can go into here.

Step siblings having sex and getting married? Another sick issue. Check the bible on what it says about that.
    We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one because that is getting into issues for an entirely different thread

" Some kind person had left some ex lax and ding dongs on her crypt."

OMG NOW THAT IS FUNNY (with all due respect)
    pull the string!

lisalouver Guest
    We are just going to have to agree to disagree on this one because that is getting into issues for an entirely different thread
    Of course we disagree. Expect though that if you say it's okay to marry your brother/sister/cousin, you're gonna get some fallout from that.

Cathy J. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I worked at the mortuary/cemetery where she was originally buried. When I took my parents on a tour of the cemetery, we visited Karen. Some kind person had left some ex lax and ding dongs on her crypt.

This reminds me of what happened at the grave of Patsy Cline a few years back. Some woman appeared at her grave, start stomping on the tombstone and saying " I hate Patsy Cline !!! Country bitch !!" or something. Then she pulls out a chicken bone and made some comment about how that was a "piece of Patsy".

Of course this was filmed and put on You Tube. However Patsy's family or Shenandoah Memoral Park ( where Patsy is buried ) had the clip yanked. That actually raised some eyebrows at the time because the clip was a homemade video and a third party had it yanked even though they didn't actually own the video unlike those who claim copyright. Some considered that a violation of free speech or whatever.

Either way the clip once it was yanked was never seen again.
    Good riddence.

crazedfemale Guest
    Richard is married to his cousin, but not biological. He's still weird, but not as weird as I thought.

Anyone heard any word on the fate of the Downey house?

33. 04-19-2008, 10:16 AM

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatScaryChick View Post
    I think Richard is an ass, but how is it selfish? It was his sister, mom and dad. When he moved he wanted them to be near him. Would I spend the money to do that? I don't know, but I don't see how it's selfish. His family not yours.
    Just read this and wanted to explain why I thought it was selfish..To me this was her final resting place..she deserves to be left in peace..and for all we know..and I'm not saying I know.. she may have said that was the place she wanted to be buried. I firmly believe that noone should be disturbed from their final resting place..and after all it was his choice to move..what if he decides to move again? will he up and dig up the whole family again?

Of course we disagree. Expect though that if you say it's okay to marry your brother/sister/cousin, you're gonna get some fallout from that.
    When did I say its ok to marry your brother/sister/cousin? Here, I'll cut and paste what I actually said so you can stop trying to put words in my mouth

they aren't related by blood so I don't see anything wrong with it.
    We actually had a case in the UK not that long ago where a brother and sister who hadn't grown up together ended up meeting, falling in love, and had sex together. Do I think they should be allowed to marry? No.

There is also the case in Australia where the Father met his daughter after 30 years and they ended up having two kids together, one of whom died not long after it was born. Do I think they should be allowed to marry? Hell no. The very fact that she actually said in an interview that she sees him as a man first and her father second is enough to make me throw up in my mouth a bit but I see both of those cases completely different from someone marrying someone that isn't actually a blood relative regardless of what the bible should happen to say about it.
    Last edited by Wickedkitten; 04-19-2008 at 12:18 PM.

lisalouver Guest

Here is where you said you "see nothing wrong" then if step siblings were to marry. They are not related by blood.

Here are your exact words, how is that putting them in your mouth?

lisalouver Guest
    When did I say its ok to marry your brother/sister/cousin? Here, I'll cut and paste what I actually said so you can stop trying to put words in my mouth

We actually had a case in the UK not that long ago where a brother and sister who hadn't grown up together ended up meeting, falling in love, and had sex together. Do I think they should be allowed to marry? No.

There is also the case in Australia where the Father met his daughter after 30 years and they ended up having two kids together, one of whom died not long after it was born. Do I think they should be allowed to marry? Hell no. The very fact that she actually said in an interview that she sees him as a man first and her father second is enough to make me throw up in my mouth a bit but I see both of those cases completely different from someone marrying someone that isn't actually a blood relative regardless of what the bible should happen to say about it.
    Well, you would be one of the few that think it is ok to marry your step brother or sister or cousin just because "they are not related by blood"

Morality trumps all legality issues. Just because it is LEGAL to marry ones step sibling or cousin "not related by blood" does not make it ok.

Here is where you said you "see nothing wrong" then if step siblings were to marry. They are not related by blood.

Here are your exact words, how is that putting them in your mouth?
    Yes, because we all know that a step sibling is the same as your actual brother

Well, you would be one of the few that think it is ok to marry your step brother or sister or cousin just because "they are not related by blood"

Morality trumps all legality issues. Just because it is LEGAL to marry ones step sibling or cousin "not related by blood" does not make it ok.
    Right, if you want to sit here and bring the Bible and morality into things, what are your views on homosexuality if I might ask?

lisalouver Guest
    Yes, because we all know that a step sibling is the same as your actual brother
    LOL, yup to anyone with any morals.

Care to admit that you said it and I did not "put the words in your mouth" or are you going to ignore that?

LOL, yup to anyone with any morals.

Care to admit that you said it and I did not "put the words in your mouth" or are you going to ignore that?
    I would admit it if I had said brother or sister but incase you've forgotten how to read I said step sibling

lisalouver Guest
    Right, if you want to sit here and bring the Bible and morality into things, what are your views on homosexuality if I might ask?
    Is this thread about homosexuality or did I miss that?

Take a peek back at some of my posts if you are so interested.

lisalouver Guest
    I would admit it if I had said brother or sister but incase you've forgotten how to read I said step sibling
    LOL, YOU SAID IT WAS OK TO MARRY A STEP OR COUSIN if you are not related by blood! And now you can not admit you said it even after I posted it.

Go on ahead with your keep it in the family ways.

Is this thread about homosexuality or did I miss that?

Take a peek back at some of my posts if you are so interested.

You're the one bringing the bible into it so I'm asking.

LOL, YOU SAID IT WAS OK TO MARRY A STEP OR COUSIN if you are not related by blood! And now you can not admit you said it even after I posted it.

Go on ahead with your keep it in the family ways.
    If you actually read up I have already fucking admitted that I said I have no problem with people that aren't related by blood getting married and a problem with people that are related by blood getting married.

Either way this is getting completely fucking childish so I'm just going to leave it here

lisalouver Guest
    You're the one bringing the bible into it so I'm asking.

If you actually read up I have already fucking admitted that I said I have no problem with people that aren't related by blood getting married and a problem with people that are related by blood getting married.

Either way this is getting completely fucking childish so I'm just going to leave it here
    Probably best to leave it at that since you don't get it and never will.

This isnt a thread about morality or judging others morals. It is about Karen Carpenter. Remember?

ApricotRoses Guest
    My aunt died years ago of anorexia. She only weighed 70 when she died. Back then, they really didn't know much about it like they do now. She was a beautiful woman, but some old boyfriend told her she was fat, (which was crap, she probably weighed 115 lb.), and ever since then, she started starving herself, and it finally killed her at age 35, she left behind 2 beautiful boys.

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotRoses View Post
    My aunt died years ago of anorexia. She only weighed 70 when she died. Back then, they really didn't know much about it like they do now. She was a beautiful woman, but some old boyfriend told her she was fat, (which was crap, she probably weighed 115 lb.), and ever since then, she started starving herself, and it finally killed her at age 35, she left behind 2 beautiful boys.
    which proves that any type of emotional disorder, eating disorder, depression is trauma-based! anything, can traumatize us, words, looks, sights, smells, etc.
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 04-19-2008 at 10:08 PM.
    pull the string!

hotmama Guest

i think it is all nasty. richard married his cousin. even though not related but they were raised as being related. i have blood relatives who have neices and nephews from another sibling who was not related to me but we were raised that this other sibling was family and so were her offspring. these same blood relatves have other siblings who are not my blood but i still say hey that is my cousin and they call my dad uncle. that is just me and my family. if richard likes it, i love it. i just can't see being raised as related one minute and being husband and wife the next. to each his own.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Karen Carpenter was a wonderful talent and it is so sad she was taken so soon. Her brother is very creepy and who knows what skeletons lurk in their closets. Him being married to his cousin is just another creepy layer in this weird story, so other than that i don't have an opinion.

But i really really need to say that if we are going to bring the bible into the brother/sister/cousin procreation thing; let's not forget that we all allegedly come from Adam and Eve. If that is true there had to have been LOTS of Brother/Sister/Cousin/relative stuff going on, so everyone relax already

lisalouver Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoddess View Post
    Karen Carpenter was a wonderful talent and it is so sad she was taken so soon. Her brother is very creepy and who knows what skeletons lurk in their closets. Him being married to his cousin is just another creepy layer in this weird story, so other than that i don't have an opinion.

But i really really need to say that if we are going to bring the bible into the brother/sister/cousin procreation thing; let's not forget that we all allegedly come from Adam and Eve. If that is true there had to have been LOTS of Brother/Sister/Cousin/relative stuff going on, so everyone relax already
    I am just stating what is in the bible. Everyone can have their own opinion, but that is what is in the bible. Period.

My opinion is that it is sick shit. If anyone here wants to marry their brother or sister or cousin be it biologial, half, step or adopted, have at it.

That is all from me.