Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Janis Joplin

trekgrrl Guest
    Not sure if my previous post went through, but I respectfully disagree with the poster who said Janis didn't "give a hoot" about her fame. If the biographies are true, then she did care about fame and I don't think she would have bothered to create the 'Pearl' persona she created. She wanted the best of both worlds. She wanted the down to earth, private Janis and she wanted the loud, ostentatious Pearl to hide behind when in public. I think as she tried to get sober (at least from the drugs), this became more and more important to her.

Check your local PBS listings. This looks like it is going to be good! http://www.oeta.tv/blogs/programming...on-oeta-may-3/
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Tonight is the 2 Hour Janis Joplin special on PBS. 7-9 Central. It's the America Masters program.

Heroin...........................it's my life..........................................

Just saw it, and what a waste of talent. Died alone on the floor beside the bed after shooting up, and her boyfriend's letter was found on her desk with only words of encouragement, which, I guess, still weren't enough to boost her self-worth. I think it all stemmed from a college fraternity that cruelly voted her the ugliest "man", that she was never trusting thereafter, but that's just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MurkyWaters View Post
    Just saw it, and what a waste of talent. Died alone on the floor beside the bed after shooting up, and her boyfriend's letter was found on her desk with only words of encouragement, which, I guess, still weren't enough to boost her self-worth. I think it all stemmed from a college fraternity that cruelly voted her the ugliest "man", that she was never trusting thereafter, but that's just my opinion.
    Worse has been said about others famous and obscure, and I think it's something in the gene pool combined with booze and drugs.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It was the best in depth documentary I have seen on her. Body shaming and cruelty has been around since there has been people. The serpent in the Garden told Eve that her butt was big and needed more fruit in her diet and look where that got us. If only Janis would have stuck with that one guy that seemed to really care about her and wanted to help her dry out. Such a waste of life and talent.

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    Tonight is the 2 Hour Janis Joplin special on PBS. 7-9 Central. It's the America Masters program.
    Watched it, and loved it.
    PBS (and American Masters) do great shows.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

great special. it seemed she tried sooooo hard to be liked. and yeah, the bullshit asshole small dicked "men" who voted her ugliest man, i hope all of them have bad karma!!

Quote Originally Posted by PiggyTx View Post
    great special. it seemed she tried sooooo hard to be liked. and yeah, the bullshit asshole small dicked "men" who voted her ugliest man, i hope all of them have bad karma!!
    Oh, they probably have.

I hope it comes on Netflix.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Back in the day I wouldn't listen to any kind of music but hard rock. In the late 70s I saw a concert on TV. I don't know if it was Monterrey Pop or what. I don't know if the song I remember most was Ball and Chain, but, after all these years, I remember her voice. Janis Joplin is a comet dead or alive. I'm saying she was a one and only. It's all written in Cass Elliot's face at Monterrey Pop. Wait for the end. y Pop.
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-01-2016 at 04:09 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by MurkyWaters View Post
    ........ still weren't enough to boost her self-worth. .
    It's not about that. I mean it is in the beginning. Most of the time; normal, healthy, well adjusted people don't become junkies or alcoholics. People self medicate for a reason. She was addicted to heroin. That's shit's powerful. It has a super high relapse rate. I read this REALLY great piece from a writer at Cracked (of all places) on what it's like to be addicted to heroin. If I find it I'll come back and link it here because it's just one drug I would not want to have a hold over me. Look at Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Wasn't he sober for like 20 years then started shooting up again? No, words of encouragement are not enough, at all. I've done heroin once but I believe we have some recovering addicts on this board that could make the point clearer than me about how powerful it is.

ETA: Here it is. http://goo.gl/oHvXee
    Last edited by Domino; 07-02-2016 at 11:27 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Watched that on Netflix yesterday. Amazing, candid, sad. Don't know what she would be like today, either just starting out again, or as an older woman. I don't think she would have had the same impact today; R&R back then was so much more. I was amazed at the similarities between her story and Amy Winehouse. I also think there are some people who just aren't meant to get old. I mean, seriously, Jim Morrison at 80 years old (or whatever). Janis was an amazing talent.

I'm not sure who to credit with this quote but someone famous said people couldn't burn out if they were never on fire. The "27 Forever" crew seem to fit that, even though I wasn't a fan of a lot of them.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Back in the day I wouldn't listen to any kind of music but hard rock. In the late 70s I saw a concert on TV. I don't know if it was Monterrey Pop or what. I don't know if the song I remember most was Ball and Chain, but, after all these years, I remember her voice. Janis Joplin is a comet dead or alive. I'm saying she was a one and only. It's all written in Cass Elliot's face at Monterrey Pop. Wait for the end. y Pop.
    Love this video......classic.

Another great talent ended to soon by drugs. I wonder how far she would have gone if she was still with us. I love the story above when Janis met Jim, what a great piece of history. RIP Janis.