Thread: Does anyone from Michigan know the story behind this man at the graveyard?

endsleigh03 Guest

Does anyone from Michigan know the story behind this man at the graveyard?

I saw we have a few Michigan people here at FAD, and I have a question for you...
    About 10 years ago I went home to Michigan and did my normal thing of searching out graveyards. I stumbled over a graveyard somewhere in the Fenton area that was, hands down, the STRANGEST cemetary I have ever seen. It advertises itself as "A cemetary, and a little bit more". It had huge bronze statues here and there, altho at that time there were not that many graves. There seemed to be a large amount of very young people buried there. And there were really different kinds of things like, a young boy whose family built a small "mailbox' type thing with a pencil and pen inside the door, so they could write to him. I read some of the entries, broke my heart. His dad was leaving notes about what had happened in all the football games that they would have watched together. Ouch
    Anyway, I digress. The most standout feature of this place was the fact that it was built on a hill, sort of, and you could go down into this large "gully?" area, where whoever had owned the place bought granite headstones to represent each US state. And they were all in a huge round circle. There were also two rotting gates, at each end, that said something like "Here you stand at the east gate to...." There were also large concrete things like sundials down there. It was totally eerie and kinda witchy.
    I never got to go back. And never could find it on the web. Does anyone from Michigan know the story behind that man and that graveyard? I would be forever grateful for some info....

Bake Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I saw we have a few Michigan people here at FAD, and I have a question for you...
    About 10 years ago I went home to Michigan and did my normal thing of searching out graveyards. I stumbled over a graveyard somewhere in the Fenton area that was, hands down, the STRANGEST cemetary I have ever seen. It advertises itself as "A cemetary, and a little bit more". It had huge bronze statues here and there, altho at that time there were not that many graves. There seemed to be a large amount of very young people buried there. And there were really different kinds of things like, a young boy whose family built a small "mailbox' type thing with a pencil and pen inside the door, so they could write to him. I read some of the entries, broke my heart. His dad was leaving notes about what had happened in all the football games that they would have watched together. Ouch
    Anyway, I digress. The most standout feature of this place was the fact that it was built on a hill, sort of, and you could go down into this large "gully?" area, where whoever had owned the place bought granite headstones to represent each US state. And they were all in a huge round circle. There were also two rotting gates, at each end, that said something like "Here you stand at the east gate to...." There were also large concrete things like sundials down there. It was totally eerie and kinda witchy.
    I never got to go back. And never could find it on the web. Does anyone from Michigan know the story behind that man and that graveyard? I would be forever grateful for some info....
    WOW...that sounds like an awesome cemetary.
    I know this is going to be stupid question, but do you have any idea what roads you were on or near when you stumbled upon this place?

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake View Post
    WOW...that sounds like an awesome cemetary.
    I know this is going to be stupid question, but do you have any idea what roads you were on or near when you stumbled upon this place?
    Bake...I don't know what roads we took to get there, just that we were in Fenton. Back when I checked I couldn't find any web references to this place, but I am going to check again. There was a home on the property that I assumed was funeral related. I see you are in Michigan, if you find anything out please PM me. I'd like to see how much it's changed in the years since I was there. Also, something I didn't put in the post was that there was an OLD graveyard on same property, but separated by a fence.