69 41.57%
  • mind your own business kitty!

7 4.22%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Death Haggism and Mental Illness

POLL: Death Haggism and Mental Illness

i find it interesting that a lot of us death hags suffer
    with mental illness, i.e., depression, bipolar, schizophrenia, mood disorders, etc. and are currently under some form of therapy
    and medication.

i am beginning to wonder if our interest with the 'macabre' has a slight connection or effect on these disorders, or some type of interesting correlation.

i'd like to conduct an anonymous poll on whether, as a death hag, you are currently taking psychiatric medications, have, or have had a mental illness.

i include myself in this, and none of this information will be used other than what you see here. any comments or reflections are most welcomed! (i've taken imipramine for twenty years, severe clinical depression, under control, anxiety/panic disorder)

please know i mean to offend no one or invade anyone's privacy, this is just out of interest.

I HOPE I SET UP THIS POLL OK, I ASK MERCY FROM THE ADMINS LOL
    Last edited by hell0kitty; 07-18-2008 at 01:19 AM.
    pull the string!

Clinical depression. 75mg of Effexor every day keeps me normal.

Well.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

i have in the past had a brake down. i was 15 and found out i had a Jerry Springer mom. if ya want to know more just say so i'll tell ya about it

Quote Originally Posted by bmull View Post
    i have in the past had a brake down. i was 15 and found out i had a Jerry Springer mom. if ya want to know more just say so i'll tell ya about it
    bmull you can tell me anything, or in a pm, whenever you're ready and feel safe
    pull the string!

Ooooooh your avatar!
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

i can say here. i feel the love here lol. my mom had sex with my 16 year old b/f. then she had the brains to think i would want to know what they did. like telling me that she was doing things to him while i was on the phone with him. she was in her 40's at the time. i went to carter in Savannah GA b/c i took some pills and just wanted to go to sleep. i lost all trust for my mom and still haven't been able to fully forgive her it was very hard on me.

Bmull, what your mother did is awful and a complete betrayal of your trust as her child. It is also your bf's fault for going along with it. I hope you can heal from this!

- R.H. Sin

I'm ok with it now. I'm 30,but it was very hard growing up a lot kids i went to school with knew and it was hard. i left him the day i found out. I found out this year that he is still livein at home with his mom and dad lmao

Quote Originally Posted by bmull View Post
    i can say here. i feel the love here lol. my mom had sex with my 16 year old b/f. then she had the brains to think i would want to know what they did. like telling me that she was doing things to him while i was on the phone with him. she was in her 40's at the time. i went to carter in Savannah GA b/c i took some pills and just wanted to go to sleep. i lost all trust for my mom and still haven't been able to fully forgive her it was very hard on me.
    bmull, i cannot imagine the pain you've been thru. i fully understand your disbelief and devastation! the grief and pain you feel will take time to lose some of its sting! keep talking it out with your therapist, or the people you trust, and with whom you feel safe, and not judged. things happen to us in this life that we're sometimes not prepared for, but the good part is that we can learn to react to negative experiences by learning how to become more resilient emotionally. that feeling of betrayal you feel toward your mom, will take time to dissipate. the trust you have in her may take a lot of time to heal, whatever you choose to do, i am right behind you.
    pull the string!

Well that just shows you what can of a person he was/is!

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    bmull, i cannot imagine the pain you've been thru. i fully understand your disbelief and devastation! the grief and pain you feel will take time to lose some of its sting! keep talking it out with your therapist, or the people you trust, and with whom you feel safe, and not judged. things happen to us in this life that we're sometimes not prepared for, but the good part is that we can learn to react to negative experiences by learning how to become more resilient emotionally. that feeling of betrayal you feel toward your mom, will take time to dissipate. the trust you have in her may take a lot of time to heal, whatever you choose to do, i am right behind you.
    thank you. both of you. i was very bad teen after that did a lot of things i don't think i would have b4 that. but i'm really ok with things now i talk to my mom. i'm not sure if i will ever fully trust her again. but she is still my mom.

I'm sorry you went through that, bmull.

Seagorath Guest
    Is "manic euphoria" considered a mental illness?

Mrs. Watson Guest
    Depression, panic disorder, a bit OCD.

Paxil. It has done wonders.

I'm nuttier than a squirrel turd but I manage.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Seagorath Guest
    There are also many "natural" drugs that help with anxiety and depression, folks...

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    I'm nuttier than a squirrel turd but I manage.
    Second that! Sometimes I wonder if I do things in my sleep that wouldn't be socially acceptable...

Seagorath Guest
    Honestly, I think virtually ALL people have some sort of mental illness in this crazy world...I just think that some are more balanced than others. People can't help that their brain juices flow differently, and that's why I respect everyone's free word. The Earth grows and changes, and our minds do the same. Old age will probably bring me some dementia I foresee...perhaps a LOT. And what's really crazy is that at any second an accident or "event" could turn anybody into anything. More cheerful thoughts from Seagorath...

WendyK Guest
    I think most of us are mental....hahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I think most of us are mental....hahaha!

case in point...
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Guest Guest
    Clinical Depression (although I may be getting reassessed as they think I may have something else), with a side of anxiety and self harm. I've been taken off meds but 2 therapy sessions a week.

Chevyheaven Guest
    Yes I am sad alot but i havent been diagnosed with a disease. I usually mask my sadness with extreme silliness. My Gramama always said there is no better cure for anything than laughter. I love to make people laugh and in turn it makes me laugh and those sad feelings are always still there but they are hidden. Makes it easier to get through the day.

Smackman Guest
    GAD and OCD. I've been prescribed meds for them, but haven't really started taking anything. I'm hoping that I can work thru it w/o long time meds, maybe some homeopathic stuff will work for me.

However, after the past two months, it seems I'm losing the battle of the meds and may have to go back and try my Celexa.

harlequin_clown Guest
    Clinical Depression, severe anxiety I take celexa and ativan

25. 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM

Guest Guest
    I think people who have had depression or mental illness are more intune with the darker sides of our personalities, so because of our morbid self destructive tendancies we are drawn more to death and gore than the "average" person

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevyheaven View Post
    Yes I am sad alot but i havent been diagnosed with a disease. I usually mask my sadness with extreme silliness. My Gramama always said there is no better cure for anything than laughter. I love to make people laugh and in turn it makes me laugh and those sad feelings are always still there but they are hidden. Makes it easier to get through the day.
    I don't believe in silliness, I think we should live in a solem somber manner.

I have had bouts of anxiety and panic attacks, and depression, but I have always been able to either find the root or at at least untangle my self and move on, without therapy or medication. And I have a very happy life. It's not perfect, but it's a trip no drug could provide.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

sunshine74137 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I have had bouts of anxiety and panic attacks, and depression, but I have always been able to either find the root or at at least untangle my self and move on, without therapy or medication. And I have a very happy life. It's not perfect, but it's a trip no drug could provide.
    Life is a trip!! I am on no meds for anything too right now, I feel very fortunate for that. Nothing's perfect You just have to have a high threshhold for crap and keep the sucks facter down

I'm depressed, repressed and supressed.

djdeath-hag Guest
    While my official diagnosis is neurological depression, brought on by the complications of all of my heart surguries & treatments.....I tend to think that I'm just crazier than a box of hangers. (wire ones, no doubt)

Without my meds 150mgs Effexor XR & 40 mgs of Remeron, I'm uncontrolably sad. Not a pretty sight. Now that everything has gotten more expensive, I'm going to have to figure a way to get my meds cheaper....or free. Advice?

smooches27 Guest
    I've been diagnosed with depression and a panic disorder. I used to have a hard time talking about it. I thought it was something to be embarrassed about. Now I realize I'm not alone and have come to the realization that I need my paxil and ativan in order to function.

Cadence71 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    While my official diagnosis is neurological depression, brought on by the complications of all of my heart surguries & treatments.....I tend to think that I'm just crazier than a box of hangers. (wire ones, no doubt)

Without my meds 150mgs Effexor XR & 40 mgs of Remeron, I'm uncontrolably sad. Not a pretty sight. Now that everything has gotten more expensive, I'm going to have to figure a way to get my meds cheaper....or free. Advice?
    dj, try this:

https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

I don't know much about it, honestly, but thought it might be worth you looking into it.

I have two antidepressants prescribed, but I also take meds for another chronic condition, and I'm afraid of seratonin syndrome. My doctor tells me to take the meds, but, I started reading the small print and it makes me nervous.

what great input!
    pull the string!

I was just thinking... anyone who isn't a bit depressed or full of anxiety in today's world just isn't paying attentin.

I do suffer from situational depression and I get very melancholy around the holidays. Granted my mom passed Christmas of 86 but, it's getting easier as the years go by. I'm a recovering addict, does that count, too?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Vamp Guest
    Yes, to the mood disorder. (Major depression, recurrent, GAD or whatever else the P doc comes up with this week.)

Yes, to the psychotropic drugs.

I have noticed the people on this board are quite intelligent. I often associate mood disorders with intelligent people.

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    I do suffer from situational depression and I get very melancholy around the holidays. Granted my mom passed Christmas of 86 but, it's getting easier as the years go by. I'm a recovering addict, does that count, too?
    addiction/mental illness, it all counts!
    pull the string!

Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    That's almost my story, except it was my best friend, a father figure, who died in 2005. And, I'm also in recovery. So, we do have some 'special issues', and yes, they count! Take care. xoxo Hids

Morrissey Guest
    Yes indeed.

I won't list all of my problems, since I'd be here all day (I'm a raging lunatic, I've finally had to come to terms with it), but I shall list a few: chronic depression, bipolar disorder, borderline, schizophrenia, multiple personality disorder, and severe anxiety problems.

Yes, just a few. ;p

NOVSTORM Guest
    Well shit, I am told I am crazier than a pet racoon but I don't get any meds. I can get pretty scary I guess after I let someone push my buttons for hours at a time but other than that I control my anger pretty good and if I get depressed I read. I will read book after book to take my mind off of it or find something to piss myself off and let off steam. Why this helps me I don't know but once I get mad about a situation then I can deal with it and the depression goes away. I cause most of my own problems and have learned to kick myself in the ass and deal with whatever mess I have caused , take my lumps so to speak. The doc gave me some anti depressants when my daughter died took them for 1 week and threw them out. Cotton mouth does not agree with me and the buzzing in my ears didn't make me happy either.
    I think that I talk myself into things and out of things. Make sense to you?

silverwaif77 Guest
    just remember folks, normal is a setting on a dryer. Thats what the head doc tells me!

thanks for all of your input and the guts to own up to it all. we all deal with our illnesses in different ways but one thing we all need is good peer support. we're all in different stages of our recovery, and sharing it all with trusted non judging friends is the best.
    pull the string!

disco Guest
    I have had chronic insomia, thats how I ended up here. Late night ventures looking for something to put me to sleep. Glad I found FAD, theres good people in here. Thanks Scott!

insomnia is the pits! am struggling with that too! you're in good company.
    pull the string!

SilverAndCold Guest
    anxiety/panic disorder taking 30mg Paxil for 8 years...also I just found out I have diabetes; bummer!

SilverAndCold Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Watson View Post
    Depression, panic disorder, a bit OCD.

Paxil. It has done wonders.
    It did wonders for me too, but I wonder about the long term effects..

Quote Originally Posted by SilverAndCold View Post
    anxiety/panic disorder taking 30mg Paxil for 8 years...also I just found out I have diabetes; bummer!
    don't sweat it silver, i'm going for the glucose tolerance test tuesday coz my sugar is 'a little tiny bit higher than normal', change your eating habits and exercise you can control it. check out the 'low glycemic foods' on the net. we gotta do it
    pull the string!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hell0kitty View Post
    insomnia is the pits! am struggling with that too! you're in good company.
    You can add me to that unhappy group. Why has a good night's sleep become so elusive???

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I struggled with insomnia for years. It can really wig you out. I was sure a mess. The Paxil makes me sleep like a baby, although I've had a few adjustments. I used to take it twice a day, morning and evening, but I was falling asleep by lunchtime. Now I take the whole dose in the evening and I'm fine.

I worry about the long term effects, but not too much. I took birth control pills for years, then took hormone replacement therapy when I had premature menopause, I like my cocktails and I smoke, so I figure I'm screwed either way. At least I'm happy, not a raging maniac, crying at the drop of a hat, spazzing over everything, cleaning at 2 a.m.