Page 1 of 12 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird/obscure TV shows you used to watch

Tyler77 Guest

Weird/obscure TV shows you used to watch

I was just remembering "Night Flight", a somewhat bizarre, yet absolutely entertaining TV show that showed cult movies, music videos, comedy standup that was shown on Friday and Saturday nights back in the 80's. It wasn't exactly well known, but anyone that did see the show knew that they were experiencing a once in a lifetime experience. I also remember "Alternative Nation" and "120 Minutes" on MTV (Back when MTV played videos). Both shows played music videos of alternative rock bands that were up and coming. The hosts were a riot! Almost forgot "Just Say Julie" was also on MTV. Julie Brown, one of the "second generation" veejays on MTV had her own comedy show that looked like it was taped on public access station. To say it was weird is an understatement!

On our local cable station, we had a show called "Mall Talk" that gained a loyal following. Three women, in similar fashion to "The View" would sit at a table and discuss the bargains they saw at the nearby malls. The discussion would then veer into a bit**fest of these women's personal lives and their former childhood enemies that they spotted at the mall!

Any odd or strange shows you remember?

FoxMulder Guest
    X-Files.

Hence the username.

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    One Show I LOVED...
    God, The Devil and Bob....
    I actually saw the series on dvd as well....that was an AWESOME show....

Growing up we watched Creature Feature...and a friday nite ritual as we got older, Monty Pyhon's Flying Circus...(hey...for the southern US in the 80's THAT was unusual, lol).

Hodgepodge Lodge.

onehunglow Guest
    The Goodies
    English humor.

towser Guest
    The Great Space Coaster........get on board!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Does anyone recall a brief sitcom from '83 called Jennifer Slept Here? It was about a family living in the home of a late star, Jennifer Farley, who only their young son Joey can see. It starred Ann Jillian as Jennifer.....I remember thinking that her character must have been based on Marilyn Monroe.....same number of syllables in their names.

mommafreak Guest
    wow, hurting my brain to remember this. a few twilight zones where odd, i guess i can't remember right now

endsleigh03 Guest
    Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
    Weirdest show ever, maybe.
    Anyone remember that?

poppie Guest
    Mary Hartman was a show I NEVER missed. The characters were all so strange and so funny. The cast was terrific - Louise Lasser, Debralee Scott, Mary Kay Place,Dodie Goodman, Greg Mullavey, Bruce Solomon, Salone Jens, etc. It was a Norman Lear show.

Lisamarie Guest
    I loved the gOD, THE DEVIL AND BOb and was so upset when they took it off the air! It was classic!! I use to watch this show and cant remeber what it was but it would highlight crazy horror movies and weird sci fi movies ...I wish I could rember the name !

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
    Weirdest show ever, maybe.
    Anyone remember that?
    I especially loved Derelda Dereamus (not sure about the spelling) she was the faith healer that Mary Kay Place's character went to see to restore her ability to walk....her faith wasn't strong enough & she fell on her "keester". I also loved the storyline about the guy drowning in his soup & the one who was stabbed with the Christmas tree....that show was brilliant!

secretsquirrel13 Guest
    How could I forget...

Mystery Science Theater 3000????

I soooo miss that show....reminds me of my brother and I when we would watch movies....

Shes Not There Guest
    Tales from the Darkside. I just love the opening credits. They've been showing this on the Chiller channel lately. I love October~you get to see all those "scary" movies/shows.
    I remember The Great Space Coaster! I can still sing the theme song!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    Mary Hartman was a show I NEVER missed. The characters were all so strange and so funny. The cast was terrific - Louise Lasser, Debralee Scott, Mary Kay Place,Dodie Goodman, Greg Mullavey, Bruce Solomon, Salone Jens, etc. It was a Norman Lear show.
    Was the show "Soap" a spin off from Mary Hartman, I can't remember....

I remember Jennifer Slept Here! I posted this on the Cool 80's Show thread!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

"Keen Eddie". NY Cop is assigned to Scotland Yard and tries to adjust.

different kind of girl Guest
    HOw about Voyagers? The guy would travel back in time along with the curly haired kid. He had a thing that looked like a compass... His name was Phinneus Bog or something like that? LOVED IT!

RoRo Guest
    It wasn't really wierd or obscure, but I loved 21 Jump Street..mmm Johnny Depp, other favs were Designing Women and Riptide
    One most may not remember is The Famous Teddy Z...Starring the Duckman himself, Jon Cryer

Cathy J. Guest
    There was a local show here in Winchester, VA that surely would qualify as both weird and obscure. "Library Data Line" hosted by Margo Lewis. The show aried during the 70s and well into the 80s on our local channel 6 WINC ( yeah the same station that gave the world Patsy Cline ).

Mrs. Lewis was an older woman and her show was nothing more than what is going on at our local library. But that is not to say it wasn't interesting. The best part of the show is when she read the names and addresses of those who checked out books and were late in returning them to the library. She would even read how much they owed !! And quite often we would hear the names of those we knew and what books they had checked out. And yes there were quite a few times we would hear that someone had checked out "The Joy of Sex" or "How to tell your family that you are gay".

Another odd moment was when they did a puppet show set to the music of..KISS !!

Awhile back I heard that Library Data Line was the very last TV show in America to go color ( 1983 !!! ) and oddly someone uploaded a clip of this show on You Tube a few years back only to have that site take it down over "copyright" thanks to WINC. Bummer !!!

SanDiegodeathhag19 Guest
    mystery sceince theater and dark shadows..

Plentiful Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shes Not There View Post
    Tales from the Darkside. I just love the opening credits. They've been showing this on the Chiller channel lately. I love October~you get to see all those "scary" movies/shows.
    I remember The Great Space Coaster! I can still sing the theme song!
    I thought I was the only one who could still sing it. And your right, October is a great month for scary movies/shows. Bring them on!

deathybrad Guest
    Zoobilee Zoo - can't get anymore obscure than that. I can still remember the theme song.

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by poppie View Post
    and the spin off - Fernwood 2night... loved Martin Mull and Fred Willard... it was a faux talk show... Martin was the smartass and Fred was the idiot... (he plays those so well)

i remember they had one "guest" who had made a tortilla with the face of the virgin mary of it... her name was saint dolores of the burn, or some such silliness...

Sus

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Was the show "Soap" a spin off from Mary Hartman, I can't remember....
    I think Soap was a spinoff of Benson or maybe Benson was a spin off from Soap???... Not sure though!!!

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post
    Zoobilee Zoo - can't get anymore obscure than that. I can still remember the theme song.
    is that the one with Freddy the Frog and Henrietta Hippo?

deathybrad Guest
    Michael B. Moynahan... Lookout Bear / ... (46 episodes, 1986)
    Ben Vereen... Mayor Ben (45 episodes, 1986)
    Gary Schwartz... Bravo Fox (45 episodes, 1986)
    Louise Vallance... Whazzat Kangaroo / ... (44 episodes, 1986)
    Karen Hartman... Talkatoo Cockatoo (44 episodes, 1986)
    Forrest Gardner... Van Go Lion (43 episodes, 1986)
    Sandey Grinn... Bill Der Beaver / ... (41 episodes, 1986)
    Roger Behr... Limerick Leprechaun / ... (3 episodes, 1986)
    Roger Peltz... Rhymin' Simon / ... (3 episodes, 1986)
    Crosby the Dog... Crosby (2 episodes, 1986)
    Last edited by deathybrad; 10-23-2007 at 02:18 AM.

Armcast Guest

The New Zoo Review

Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post

I loved that show!!!! The New Zoo Review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e18_KL8PUYM

It did, however, have its share of "dark secrets"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idmbd2qnVv4

don't_axe_me Guest
    New Zoo Blooper...too funny!

That Doug sure could dance, couldn't he?....NOT!

Nik Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by deathybrad View Post

Oh yes, I remember that one. I liked it a lot when I was younger.

Also, to add to the list.... "Danger Mouse".

deathybrad Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Oh yes, I remember that one. I liked it a lot when I was younger.

Also, to add to the list.... "Danger Mouse".
    At least someone remembers, I was a little concerned.

hoxharding Guest
    1) Mystery Science Theater 3000(own many tapes and dvds of this)
    2) Twin Peaks
    3) Sledge Hammer(Parody of Dirty Harry movies)
    4) Billy-Steve Guttenberg playing a teen who daydreams
    5)Father Ted(3 priests and a housekeeper in Ireland)
    6) Tales from the Darkside
    7) Hitchhiker

scarletfever1971 Guest
    That's Incredible! LOL...

Bring_Out_Yer_Dead Guest
    I saw that New Zoo Review blooper on video way back
    in 1990. Still one the funniest of all time!...LOL.

Cheers all,
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Armcast View Post
    I loved that show!!!! The New Zoo Review....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e18_KL8PUYM

It did, however, have its share of "dark secrets"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idmbd2qnVv4

Lisamarie Guest
    Speaking of showa nd movies and stuff I loove the horror movieathons during halloween ! I have had it on non stop hellraiser next!

WendyK Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Does anyone recall a brief sitcom from '83 called Jennifer Slept Here? It was about a family living in the home of a late star, Jennifer Farley, who only their young son Joey can see. It starred Ann Jillian as Jennifer.....I remember thinking that her character must have been based on Marilyn Monroe.....same number of syllables in their names.
    I remember that show!!!! I was only 5 when that show came out and every once in a while I think of it and bang my head trying to remember the name of it!!! Thanks for refreshing my memory!

Kareika Guest
    try this site...
    it is an awesome trip down memory lane.

I love the old commercials

http://www.retrojunk.com/

More Cheese Please Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dearheart View Post
    No- that's the New Zoo Review

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    1) Mystery Science Theater 3000(own many tapes and dvds of this)
    2) Twin Peaks
    3) Sledge Hammer(Parody of Dirty Harry movies)
    4) Billy-Steve Guttenberg playing a teen who daydreams
    5)Father Ted(3 priests and a housekeeper in Ireland)
    6) Tales from the Darkside
    7) Hitchhiker
    Ha, Sledge Hammer! Have it on DVD...I also have all of Father Ted on DVD but then it's not so obscure here...

There was some TV show with two koalas named Blinky and Pinky when I was a kid (not that young...probably too old to be watching this show but I think it was on after school or something before something I really wanted to watch was on.) I think it was some sort of anime thing on Nickelodeon and they lived in this girl's room and there was a eucalyptus tree outside the girl's window. No one I've spoken to about this ever has any idea what I'm talking about...maybe it was called the Noozles?

There was also one called The Raccoons that also had some pink thing with a weird nose named Cedric. Oh, and The Wuzzles...that was a cartoon where the animals were all these weird hybrids like an elephant/bumblebee combination.

So those are the cartoons that no one EVER knows what I'm talking about when it's come up in conversation!
    Last edited by firegilnotguns; 10-23-2007 at 05:34 PM.

monhol Guest
    i liked "the magic garden". they would say hello to the kids by saying different names and if they said your name you'd be so happy. i remember the chuckle patch. i also likes "tales from the darkside" and also "tales from the unexpected". "tales from the unexpected" was from europe.

firegilnotguns Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by monhol View Post
    i liked "the magic garden". they would say hello to the kids by saying different names and if they said your name you'd be so happy. i remember the chuckle patch. i also likes "tales from the darkside" and also "tales from the unexpected". "tales from the unexpected" was from europe.
    Love Tales of the Unexpected!

You Can't Do That On Television
    The Electric Company

The Hilarious House of Frightenstein

hoxharding Guest
    I don't know if it was a tv show-but has anyone heard of 'Doggy Poo'?
    It is Korean and is about doggy poo(not a dog,but poo)
    The poo decides to go on journey and find out about life. Supposedly has strong Christian overtones(it is claymation)

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I remember that show!!!! I was only 5 when that show came out and every once in a while I think of it and bang my head trying to remember the name of it!!! Thanks for refreshing my memory!
    You're welcome, Wendy....glad that I was able to help!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hoxharding View Post
    I don't know if it was a tv show-but has anyone heard of 'Doggy Poo'?
    It is Korean and is about doggy poo(not a dog,but poo)
    The poo decides to go on journey and find out about life. Supposedly has strong Christian overtones(it is claymation)
    Davey & Goliath much?

susalu Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Davey & Goliath much?
    LOVED Davey and Goliath... there are some pretty funny clips on you tube... my favorite episode was the easter one where the grandma dies... a death hag even as a kid!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ss8h0rIRlg

Does anyone remember Gigglesnort Hotel? My son watched that one... Weirdass puppets... always gave me the creeps!!

Cemetry Gates Guest
    Double Trouble- an 80's show about twins
    and Rags to Riches, a kinda musical sitcom from the 80's.
    Also, Jem!! The music's outrageous, contagious...

Mystery Science Theatre 3000. Sadly, I can't find it anymore on Comedy Central Or Sci-Fi.

The Muppet Show

Quote Originally Posted by susalu View Post
    and the spin off - Fernwood 2night... loved Martin Mull and Fred Willard... it was a faux talk show... Martin was the smartass and Fred was the idiot... (he plays those so well)

i remember they had one "guest" who had made a tortilla with the face of the virgin mary of it... her name was saint dolores of the burn, or some such silliness...

Sus
    I used to love that show! Martin Mull was Barth Gimble and Fred Willard was Jerry Hubbard, the band was Happy Kine and the Mirthmakers......from the unfinished furniture capital of the world!

I remember one where the guest was Dick Martin from Laugh In, and he was selling freeze dried wine.