Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4567815 ... LastLast

Thread: The Columbine Tragedy

guardmom2008 Guest
    I can't believe that it has been that long ago. I'm sure for the families of the victims it is still fresh in their minds. I hope there isn't some idiot/s out there that idolize these two and decided to copy them.

DexterKitty Guest
    That's a scary thought. I would hope the police and staff are beefing up security tomorrow just in case. Sometimes 10 year anniversaries tend to be when copycat stuff happens. I sure hope not.

guardmom2008 Guest
    I hope not either, I hope the schools keep their eyes and ears open.

Northern Lights Guest
    10 years later, Columbine remembers
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_12174127

Huge news archive. I read them all few years ago and it was worth it.
    http://www.denverpost.com/columbine

Jefferson County Sheriff multimedia report. I've read this also and you can find there pictures, videos, audio files and diagrams.
    http://extras.denverpost.com/news/co.../Pages/TOC.htm

RIP all the Columbine victims.

Northern Lights Guest
    Rocky Mountain News archive (it is still working). It took several weeks to read these all.
    If you want start from oldest page
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...mbine/?page=40

If you want start from newest page
    http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...rts/columbine/

Northern Lights Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by KCSunshine View Post
    Nice find. Interesting to start at the oldets accounts and see how much misinformation there was.
    There was a lot. If I remember it right, one of the first news told that there was 25 dead.

Cangirl58 Guest

Rest in peace.....

Rebel hill displaying all 15 crosses (including Eric's and Dylan's). Eventually, their two crosses would be draped in black canvas and finaly destroyed by grieving familes leaving 13 crosses.

Rest in peace to those that are gone and hope and healing for those that survived.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cangirl58 View Post

Rebel hill displaying all 15 crosses (including Eric's and Dylan's). Eventually, their two crosses would be draped in black canvas and finaly destroyed by grieving familes leaving 13 crosses.

Rest in peace to those that are gone and hope and healing for those that survived.
    That pic it truly heartbreaking.

Cangirl58 Guest

Why?

Close-up of Dylan's cross.

Ugh.. putting those two crosses up... All it did was serve as a painful reminder to the families of the innocent victims, and became a writing board for people (in which case it should have had a writing tablet). Those two were not innocent victims. Think about how long they walked around with those guns shooting people who were begging and crying to live. Think about how long they planned it.
    Last edited by okidoll; 04-20-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added

WriterDude Guest

Columbine

(Should anyone feel the need to merge this new thread with the one named for the killers, I'd much rather you simply delete it. Even Oprah has pulled today's show because it focused too much on them. Hope you see it the same way.)

It’s hard to believe that I was about a mile away when it happened. It’s even harder to believe that it was ten years ago this morning...

The honored dead:

Cassie Bernall
    Steve Curnow
    Corey DePooter
    Kelly Fleming
    Matt Kechter
    Daniel Mauser
    Daniel Rohrbough
    Rachel Scott
    Isaiah Shoels
    John Tomlin
    Lauren Townsend
    Kyle Velasquez
    Coach Dave Sanders

Those injured:

Brian Anderson
    Richard Castaldo
    Jennifer Doyle
    Stephen 'Austin' Eubanks
    Nicholas 'Nick' Foss
    Sean Graves
    Makai Hall
    Anne Marie Hochhalter
    Patrick Ireland
    Michael Johnson
    Joyce Jankowski
    Mark Kintgen
    Lisa Kreutz
    Lance Kirklin
    Adam Kyler
    Stephanie Munson
    Patricia 'Patti' Nielson
    Nicole Nowlen
    Jeanna Park
    Kacey Ruegsegger
    Valeen Schnurr
    Daniel Steepleton
    Evan Todd
    Mark Taylor

Courtesy of Sarah McLachlan:

Spend all your time waiting
    For that second chance
    For a break that would make it okay
    There’s always one reason
    To feel not good enough
    And it’s hard at the end of the day
    I need some distraction
    Oh beautiful release
    Memory seeps from my veins
    Let me be empty
    And weightless and maybe
    I’ll find some peace tonight

In the arms of an angel
    Fly away from here
    From this dark cold hotel room
    And the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage
    Of your silent reverie
    You’re in the arms of the angel
    May you find some comfort there

So tired of the straight line
    And everywhere you turn
    There’s vultures and thieves at your back
    And the storm keeps on twisting
    You keep on building the lie
    That you make up for all that you lack
    It don’t make no difference
    Escaping one last time
    It’s easier to believe in this sweet madness oh
    This glorious sadness that brings me to my knees

In the arms of an angel
    Fly away from here
    From this dark cold hotel room
    And the endlessness that you fear
    You are pulled from the wreckage
    Of your silent reverie
    May you find some comfort there
    May you find some comfort here

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Excellent post WD. It seems like yesterday, I remember it so well. May the dead rest in peace.

death hag dee Guest

discod Guest
    I said it once il say it again i think your gun laws are far to lapse over there,to readily available,its very sad xx

tarsier Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by discod View Post
    I said it once il say it again i think your gun laws are far to lapse over there,to readily available,its very sad xx
    nope, wont get into a discussion on gun control but.

Meli Guest
    I cant believe this happened ten years ago... seems just like yesterday...

Winfrey cancels program on Columbine anniversary

CHICAGO – Oprah Winfrey has canceled an episode of her talk show that was to mark the 10th anniversary of the Columbine High School massacre, saying it focused too much on the killers.

The episode, "10 Years Later: The Truth About Columbine," was to air Monday, the anniversary of the massacre in Littleton, Colo., that killed 12 students and a teacher.

Winfrey posted a message Monday morning on her Facebook page, saying that after she reviewed the taped show she decided to pull it because of its focus on the two gunmen.

She urged viewers to keep the Columbine community in their thoughts.

Winfrey said she would air a program about a mother released from prison in place of the Columbine piece. Her company, Harpo Productions, confirmed the announcement.

carebearsluv Guest
    Does anyone remember what it was like to hear the name Columbine, and not think of the massacre?

Winfrey cancels program on Columbine anniversary

CHICAGO – Oprah Winfrey has canceled an episode of her talk show that was to mark the 10th anniversary of the Columbine High School massacre, saying it focused too much on the killers.

The episode, "10 Years Later: The Truth About Columbine," was to air Monday, the anniversary of the massacre in Littleton, Colo., that killed 12 students and a teacher.

Winfrey posted a message Monday morning on her Facebook page, saying that after she reviewed the taped show she decided to pull it because of its focus on the two gunmen.

She urged viewers to keep the Columbine community in their thoughts.

Winfrey said she would air a program about a mother released from prison in place of the Columbine piece. Her company, Harpo Productions, confirmed the announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
    (Should anyone feel the need to merge this new thread with the one named for the killers, I'd much rather you simply delete it.

Thank you for this. You are totally right.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I will be buried in a spring loaded casket filled with confetti, and a future archaeologist will have one awesome day at work."

carebearsluv Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cangirl58 View Post
    Close-up of Dylan's cross.

It kind of reminds me of the Amish people who forgave that man that shot up their school a few years ago.

While, I personally wouldn't be able to forgive them, I understand how other's have the belief that you cannot truly move on until you forgive those who wronged you.

guardmom2008 Guest
    Wonderful post WD, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago, I remember it so well.
    My class had a moment of silence to pay respect to the victims.

kingoutlaw Guest
    is there going to be any tv shows on about it today

trose Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by carebearsluv View Post
    Does anyone remember what it was like to hear the name Columbine, and not think of the massacre?
    I used to think of flowers. Not anymore.

Seagorath Guest
    Columbine is now synonymous with "School Massacre"...Whenever I hear the flower I think of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kicking open the library door...

Mrs. Watson Guest
    April 19th is just not a good day all around.

I still remember this like it happened yesterday.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Columbine is now synonymous with "School Massacre"...Whenever I hear the flower I think of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold kicking open the library door...
    Yup, me too Sea

guardmom2008 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagorath View Post
    Same here Seagorath

Mrs. Watson Guest

The Flower, which is quite lovely

I also can no longer see these beautiful flowers in the same way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1825811_columbineDscn4572.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	13743  

Lovely post, WriterDude

Maruz83 Guest
    It kind of reminds me of the Amish people who forgave that man that shot up their school a few years ago.

While, I personally wouldn't be able to forgive them, I understand how other's have the belief that you cannot truly move on until you forgive those who wronged you.

I don't think I could forgive the person that took my loved one but I guess that's why some people are "bigger" in heart and soul than others.

Snudgie Guest
    Excellent post Writerdude.....thinking of all the familes and friends of those who were lost 10 years ago today....RIP....xxxx

DexterKitty Guest
    I was reading on the link that was given up above,and learned a lot of things I hadn't heard about. I never heard about the church that planted 15 trees to memorialize those that died. Some of the victim's familie's went to the church, and chopped down 2 of them, in protest of the ones representing Harris and Klebold. I completely understand the rage but, I also understand that the killers had loved ones and friends that grieve for them as well. Sad all the way around.

Noreen Guest
    Wow, 10 years. I remember hearing about it from my husband who called me at work.
    I, in turn, told some of my co-workers. What a horrible day.

burgtwngrl Guest

Parents of the Murders

out of curiosity does anyone know of what happened to the parents of the two boys who fired on the school?

You never hear anything about them and they lost thier boys as well. The two boys are not even counted among the dead.

Not that I condone what they did by any means but I believe that the two boys had to have been subjected to alot before snapping.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    out of curiosity does anyone know of what happened to the parents of the two boys who fired on the school?

You never hear anything about them and they lost thier boys as well. The two boys are not even counted among the dead.

Not that I condone what they did by any means but I believe that the two boys had to have been subjected to alot before snapping.

I agree with you. Both sets of families moved away. They have never spoken to the media, as I see a fit and right decision. I grieve for those boys too and their families. Not the same way I grieve for those that were killed by them, but they were lost also that day. No winners came of that awful day.

Today is a very somber one in Colorado. All flags are at half staff and there will be a memorial tonight. This is a local tv station. Feel free to check it to see what is going on in Littleton to mark the 10 year anniversary.
    www.9news.com

Much love to all today. Hold you babies close...and never forget.

John Connor Guest
    I'll never forget where I was that day.

As for the crosses in my eyes Harris and Klebold were victims as well. We are seeing it more and more now but they were bullied and ostracized and this was the terrible aftermath. It's sad and bad all round. I'm really sorry for everyone.

beatlebaby4 Guest
    Amazing pics from Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1892279,00.html
    Chilling pics KC. Thanks for the link

GravesEnd Guest
    I really do feel that our school system needs to address the issue of bullying. Bullying doesn't excuse what these two did, but it was definitely the catalyst that ignited this tragedy. There is nothing like the rage that burns inside a child who is bullied at school. As long as schools look the other way when kids are bullied there will be more Columbines in our future, perhaps not to that degree, but just as tragic to those who are affected.

I♥TinyTim Guest
    RIP slain students of Columbine. You are gone but will never be forgotten.

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by GravesEnd View Post
    I really do feel that our school system needs to address the issue of bullying. Bullying doesn't excuse what these two did, but it was definitely the catalyst that ignited this tragedy. There is nothing like the rage that burns inside a child who is bullied at school. As long as schools look the other way when kids are bullied there will be more Columbines in our future, perhaps not to that degree, but just as tragic to those who are affected.

So very true and that's why I can never think of Harris and Klebold without sadness and pity. They did something unbelievable but they hurt very much.

Lita Guest
    The sad thing is that outside of Littleton, Colorado, who had really heard of Columbine until the massacre? Who'd really heard of Littleton? I hadn't. I had never heard of Littleton or Columbine until that day. I remember sitting in the library of my high school that day. The librarians had a tv in a little office on and I could tell kind of what was going on so when I got home I turned the tv on. When I hear Columbine or I think of Columbine, in my head I see the school bus out front, I see the kid jumping out of the window, I see students in a straight line with their hands on their heads as SWAT officers point guns at them. It was either the very next day or within two or three days after Columbine that some asshole called in a bomb threat to our school. Of course the newspapers ran the story with a picture of us evacuating the school with some bullshit about "scared students". Yeah, some people were scared that day. I was a little scared that day but mostly we were all annoyed and pissed off because we knew it was bullshit. My heart still hurts for that town in Colorado and that school. I remember that they had to go to a different school for a long time and about a month later there was a news report about how there were still bullet holes in walls and blood on carpet. I remember the anger from parents because some bodies were left in the school for something like 18 hours or so but I understand now the enormity of the crime scene the police had to document. I remember that once the students returned to Columbine it seemed like they couldn't breathe without a national news report on it. I remember saying "Let them live, let them move on. Stop focusing on it."

RIP to those who lost their lives that day. We'll never know exactly why the killers did what they did. We'll never know the whole truth. I just pray that maybe their act of cowardess caused at least one kid to step forward and seek help if they were feeling so angry that they wanted to do something like this.

Seagorath Guest
    I was getting drunk at an airport lounge on April 20, 1999...I had just gotten back from my second trip to Europe...remember the news vividly.

sheri Guest
    Klebold and Harris knew precisely what they were doing and why. They were complete and utter asshats from the word go. How their parents didn't see any of this coming is beyond me. They had to have known something so as to prevent this tragedy. I do however feel bad for their parents as they are grieving over the suicides of their kids, and probably having a lot of guilt and what not to still contend with after all these years.

May the victims rest in peace and their journies continue to be free of incident. May the families of all involved - including the Klebold and Harris famiies - continue to find some measure of comfort some how some way, even those who survived.

endsleigh03 Guest
    RIP to all of them who died that day

Amazing pics from Jefferson County Sheriff's Office.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1892279,00.html
    what the heck is that in picture number 4?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seagorath Guest
    How 'bout this "mind fuck of the century" for Wayne and Kathy Harris...

..."Gheesh, If we didn't have that sloppy, nasty sex back in 1980 then 13 innocent people would probably still be alive."

Imagine that "mind fuck"...

Quote Originally Posted by sheri View Post
    Klebold and Harris knew precisely what they were doing and why. They were complete and utter asshats from the word go. How their parents didn't see any of this coming is beyond me. They had to have known something so as to prevent this tragedy. I do however feel bad for their parents as they are grieving over the suicides of their kids, and probably having a lot of guilt and what not to still contend with after all these years.

May the victims rest in peace and their journies continue to be free of incident. May the families of all involved - including the Klebold and Harris famiies - continue to find some measure of comfort some how some way, even those who survived.

DeadRinger Guest
    What a horrific day that was. As far as gun control goes, Australia has Martin Bryant and Port Arthur, so we can't stand in judgement.

April 19th was also the fourteenth anniversary of the Oklahoma City bombing.

RIP to the Columbine students.

carebearsluv Guest
    How their parents didn't see any of this coming is beyond me. They had to have known something so as to prevent this tragedy.
    I agree. I couldn't fart in my room in parent's house without them knowing how long it lasted, and what it smelled like.

beatlebaby4 Guest

exactly.