Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rebecca Shaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Ouattara View Post
    Oh, she was very beautiful. The first pic is awesome.
    I think that Rebecca was very talented. What have could be happened if Rebbeca were alive?
    probably be on "Where are they now" and nobody would give a shit about her.

Beefbag Guest
    Ouch

well, ya gotta look at it statistically. How many people from older sitcoms do we still love and adore today? maybe she would be one of those people, but the odds are she wouldn't have. Her being shot is most likely the only reason people still think of her so often.

Beefbag Guest
    I agree...just playin with ya

cool, I know it's harsh... but the truth hurts

Mammy Guest
    I think you could say that about a lot of the famous people who died young. Would anyone care about Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, James Dean, John F. Kennedy, Natalie Wood, and countless others if they had lived to be a ripe old age? Chances are a lot of people would be talking about them having bad plastic surgery or wondering when they were finally going to die like Zsa Zsa Gabor. IMO a lot of the lingering interest is because they died when they were still young and beautiful or in a horrible way like Sharon Tate.

Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    I think you could say that about a lot of the famous people who died young. Would anyone care about Marilyn Monroe, Elvis Presley, James Dean, John F. Kennedy, Natalie Wood, and countless others if they had lived to be a ripe old age? Chances are a lot of people would be talking about them having bad plastic surgery or wondering when they were finally going to die like Zsa Zsa Gabor. IMO a lot of the lingering interest is because they died when they were still young and beautiful or in a horrible way like Sharon Tate.
    I agree. While I like Rebecca and even that silly show she was on, it's a bit funny to read people posting on message boards (not here) about how the world was robbed of an amazing actress and waxing poetic about how she was poised to be the next great thing. Granted, she was good but I doubt had she lived she would have a Meryl Steep worthy career or something. Odds are she would have done some more mediocre movies and sitcoms and chucked it all once she got married and had kids. Nothing wrong with that, but some folks take the whole "gone too soon" thing a bit too far.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

True; like most old sitcoms or TV shows, a lot of the actors on those shows don't really have a strong career. I guess that's why child stars have it rough: either they fall down the wrong path and resort to drugs, alcohol, etc or they just lose popularity and no one gives a shit about them anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

Mammy Guest
    Rebecca was a pretty girl and I liked "My Sister Sam" at the time, but there really is no way of knowing how she would have turned out. I think more than likely she wouldn't have even kept doing television shows if she was still alive. There have been plenty of "up and coming" stars who haven't fared so well. Look how popular "Different Strokes" was back in the day and now Todd Bridges is the only one of the Drummond children that is still alive. "Family Ties" was popular in the 80's, but you never hear anything about the people on that show much either. It is a tragedy how Rebecca was murdered, but I think a lot of the fascination is because she died young and in her prime and because it wasn't common then to hear of a psycho stalker gunning down someone from television who he was obsessed with.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    probably be on "Where are they now" and nobody would give a shit about her.
    I'm sure there is some truth in that, but.... I remember when I was a kid that movie, "Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills" recieved a lot of attention. Not just because it starred the dead girl from My Sister Sam. It was a dark comedy. Looks like she was trying to make her way up by acting in smaller pictures to break into the mainstream. Who knows?

At the end of the day, I guess it's better to die young... than have the career of her co-star, Pam Dawber!

Mammy Guest
    Pam Dawber has fallen off the radar, that's for sure. Not only that, she is married to Mark Harmon who gives me the creepy crawlies since he made such a convincing Ted Bundy. I've never looked at him the same way since. Rebecca was a pretty girl and seemed to be sweet and it is sad that she lost her life over nothing because of some crazy shitbag. It's a shame that the shanking he got in prison didn't finish him off, but I'm sure it put a healthy fear in him and I'm glad for that. Rebecca died before ever getting to get married or have children and missed out on a lot. She should still be around and be embarrassed about her hideous 80's hair like the rest of us with such hairstyles in our past.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    When Pam Dawber and Mark Harmon were trying to get custody of Kris Nelson's (Marks sister/Ex wife of Rick Nelson) son Sam, apparently Kris told Mark and Pam that if they persued the matter, she would leak to the press photos of Pam Dawber doing cocaine. They promptly decided family counseling would be the route to go. I mean really, can you imagine... Mindy McConnell bent over a table doing a rail??? Oh, the humanity!

RaRaRamona Guest
    That is nothing comapred to what Kris was doing.

Bbeelzebub Guest
    Oh, I know. Kris Nelson put the mess in hot mess.... the dig in gold digger. She was weird. She wouldn't even allow the youngest son to have anything to do with Matthew and Gunner. Weird stuff.

Mammy Guest
    I guess Mork and Mindy did cocaine together? What a thought!

Still it is sad that she was murdered at such a young age, but as someone said I doubt if she were still alive today anyone would really care unless she was doing a Paris Hilton or a Lindsay Lohan

Quote Originally Posted by Bbeelzebub View Post
    Oh, I know. Kris Nelson put the mess in hot mess.... the dig in gold digger. She was weird. She wouldn't even allow the youngest son to have anything to do with Matthew and Gunner. Weird stuff.
    I know this is OT, but I never understood that about Kris Nelson. She came from a family that was loaded. Why the hell was she so intent on getting all of Rick Nelson's money? It's not like her ass would have been hurting if she didn't get a dime from him. I just don't get people like that. Exactly how much money do you need to be satisfied?

I suppose it was more about screwing him over though. It just speaks volume about her character that she would drag her kids into the hate she felt for their father. I mean, move the hell on if you don't wanna be with a person anymore. Unless you're some diabolical genius who never gets caught, it's rare that you're going to truly poision your children against their parent.
    Last edited by MagneticElectric; 01-14-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    "You live alone, creating your life as you go." - Edie Sedgwick

I read recently in a book (written in Spanish) that the assassin of Rebecca said was inspired by a song of U2 to kill her. The song was "Exit", and the assassin was inspired for this part:

"Hand in the pocket, finger on the steel
    The pistol weighed heavy
    His heart he coul feel
    Was beating, beating, oh my love..."
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

Her death was senseless. The freak that killed her is a sick bastard. And, hopefully he's not enjoying his time in jail.

Rebecca seemed to be a lovely young woman. It's ridiculous when someone gets so obsessed with someone that they feel the need to kill them.

I was obsessed with Conan O'Brien when I was a teen. And, I'm obsessed with Michael E. Knight as an adult. But, damn. I wouldn't go out and murder them. Guess it has something to do with the fact that most people are somewhat sane.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Quote Originally Posted by MagneticElectric View Post
    I agree. While I like Rebecca and even that silly show she was on, it's a bit funny to read people posting on message boards (not here) about how the world was robbed of an amazing actress and waxing poetic about how she was poised to be the next great thing. Granted, she was good but I doubt had she lived she would have a Meryl Steep worthy career or something. Odds are she would have done some more mediocre movies and sitcoms and chucked it all once she got married and had kids. Nothing wrong with that, but some folks take the whole "gone too soon" thing a bit too far.
    Kind makes me feel that way about Sharon Tate.

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    Her death was senseless. The freak that killed her is a sick bastard. And, hopefully he's not enjoying his time in jail.

Rebecca seemed to be a lovely young woman. It's ridiculous when someone gets so obsessed with someone that they feel the need to kill them.

I was obsessed with Conan O'Brien when I was a teen. And, I'm obsessed with Michael E. Knight as an adult. But, damn. I wouldn't go out and murder them. Guess it has something to do with the fact that most people are somewhat sane.
    Somewhat sane is the key phrase if you're a member here. Lol. Nice post! Welcome to the forum, todd!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Welcome to the boards, Todd Manning!!! I see I've met another fan of my beloved now-defunct OLTL!!! And to keep this on topic, I remember the death of Rebecca Shaeffer very well. So very tragic, senseless, and brutal. Any time someone does a special on famous crimes/stalking crimes/most shocking murders, hers is at the top of the list. Anyhow--keep posting!! Find some threads you like and jump right in!

I agree with you except for JFK. Had he lived ( dittos with Robert ), John Kennedy chances are people would still talk about him and the press would still report stuff on him long after he would leave the White House in 1965, or 1969 if he had won re-election. After all both Jackie and John Jr. had no problem at all getting into the National Enquier, People and the other press all the way until their deaths and even afterward. I have to admit it would had been very interesting to see what John and Robert's reaction would had been over brother Ted and Chappaquiddick not too mention how they would had gotten along with future presidents such as Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton heck even Reagan and the two Bushes. There is something about the Kennedy clan that triggers interest for so many people.

Mammy Guest
    Yeah, I shouldn't have included him on my list. I guess I'm in the minority, but I've never got what the appeal of the Kennedy family was. Of course, John F. Kennedy died five years before I was even born and I despise politics with a passion. The only thing intriguing about them to me is why people with that much cash and resources don't do something about their goofy teeth. John Jr. was the only decent looking one out of the whole bunch.

cameralady Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maryd View Post
    Welcome to the boards, Todd Manning!!! I see I've met another fan of my beloved now-defunct OLTL!!! And to keep this on topic, I remember the death of Rebecca Shaeffer very well. So very tragic, senseless, and brutal. Any time someone does a special on famous crimes/stalking crimes/most shocking murders, hers is at the top of the list. Anyhow--keep posting!! Find some threads you like and jump right in!
    Keeping it on topic-according to IMDB, Rebecca once was on OLTL.

I didn't realize just how young she was when she was shot; she was only 21 years old. Yes, her career may have become something out of the "Where are they now?" shows if she had lived, but she never even got that chance! That was crazy.

Sure, Rebecca was known for the show, but it wasn't as if she was a huge star at the time like a Madonna or a Gary Coleman at the time. I think even Pam Dawber was more well-known at the time. Why Rebecca? Why would the killer do this to her? It made no sense.

carrieanne Guest
    People who develop obsessions from mental illness don't make any sense. The majority of people who are stalked by mentally unstable, obsessive people are not famous. It might be because you smiled at a mentally ill computer tech at your job and he now thinks you two are in a relationship and despite the protective order against him, he thinks everyone "made you" obtain it and you really want him to murder your husband and kidnap you so the two of you can be together. Scary stuff, and all of us could be victims, without being famous. There was a famous case here, maybe 15 years ago, of a woman in her 50's who worked at a Wal Mart. A young man, 19 or 20, who also worked there became obsessed with her - just a normal 50 something married woman, and ended up shooting and killing her one night as she was driving into her garage at home. When their delusions are threatened, for some reason they sometimes become violent toward their obsession.

Mammy Guest
    Bardo was definitely off his rocker and the gun shop refused to sell him a weapon. His brother actually bought the gun after it was refused to psycho and there was nothing that could be done about it. It is true that many everyday people are stalked by someone unstable and they could be a total stranger. Here is an example of a horrible and heartbreaking case. It is several years old, but I've never forgotten it. Nobody knows who could be lurking around and waiting to make a move.

http://netcrimes.net/Amy%20Lynn%20Bo...s/liamsite.htm

Bbeelzebub Guest
    23 years ago today. Damn, I feel old. I was a kid when that happened.

RIP Rebecca. I wasn't even born yet and this case gives me shivers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Didn't know that was a thing...

The Lucky One Guest
    I thought Rebecca was drop dead gorgeous, and I thought her hairstyle made her even hotter

Quote Originally Posted by cameralady View Post
    Keeping it on topic-according to IMDB, Rebecca once was on OLTL.

I didn't realize just how young she was when she was shot; she was only 21 years old. Yes, her career may have become something out of the "Where are they now?" shows if she had lived, but she never even got that chance! That was crazy.

Sure, Rebecca was known for the show, but it wasn't as if she was a huge star at the time like a Madonna or a Gary Coleman at the time. I think even Pam Dawber was more well-known at the time. Why Rebecca? Why would the killer do this to her? It made no sense.
    Yep. Rebecca was on OLTL at one point in the 80s. I think it was right before she got the role on My Sister Sam.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

I hope the person that stabbed Bardo repeatedly let some air out of Bardo's head, this guy has "creep" written all over him. Wouldn't you just love to be the one to put your foot in his face? I hope he gets attacked more, gang raped, beaten, tortured, then gang raped again. I just want to spit on this loser...

Quote Originally Posted by toddmanning View Post
    Yep. Rebecca was on OLTL at one point in the 80s. I think it was right before she got the role on My Sister Sam.
    What role did she play?
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    What role did she play?
    According to IMDB her character was named Annie Barnes

Ugh. You can buy a letter he wrote:
    http://darkvomit.com/truecrime3/inde...d&productId=94

Id like to read the letter he wrote to Samantha Smith and her response.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Thanks, Riot. I don't remember her, but I listened to it on the radio at work in the 80s so I wouldn't have seen her.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

MoonRabbit Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRabbit View Post

This weirdo looks and acts like a REAL LIFE Frankenstein
    monster. Someone had to steal parts from a grave to build him.
    His brain must have come from a dead Serial Killer.
    I wish I could find an interview of him.
    You could see what I am talking about.
    Chilling psycho freak!
    To this day I refer to John Robert Bardo as Frankenstein Jr.

Mammy Guest
    That is an insult to Frankenstein. Bardo is one of the strangest looking people I've ever seen. That ugly mug is the last thing Rebecca ever saw.

That is an insult to Frankenstein. Bardo is one of the strangest looking people I've ever seen. That ugly mug is the last thing Rebecca ever saw.
    That's what I keep thinking about when it comes to this mongaloid looking bastard. I don't know a thing about Rebecca, never saw her TV show or any movie she may have been in to the best of my knowledge, but I do remember thinking she was quite the looker. Then this psycho pear-headed scumbag goes and off's her, and it's quite clear he's extremely proud of what he did. I bet he bragged to any law enforcement person or cellmate about what he "accomplished". Some people you just want to see suffer for the rest of their short miserable lives, and he's definitely on my list. (I hope I haven't insulted any mongaloids, scumbags, bastards or pear-shaped heads while getting this off my chest, I meant no offense!)

Mammy Guest
    The guy obviously wasn't firing on all of his cylinders when he killed her, but he knew what he was doing and it was very premeditated. I think he was and still is proud that his name is forever associated with Rebecca Shaeffer. He even blamed her by saying that she used a whiny little voice and said he was wasting her time. I know it's awful, but it pleased me to know he has been attacked and brutally stabbed while he's in prison. Maybe then he got a small taste of the terror and pain Rebecca went through as she lay helpless at the feet of a mad man.

I was thinking about this murder today. At the time of Rebecca's death Bardo I believe was employed by the fast food chain Jack-In-The-Box as a janitor. At the time of the murder I seem to remember a lot of radio stations ( remember "The Morning Zoo" ??? ) were making it seem like all Jack-In-The-Box janitors at the time were as crazy as Bardo. For some reason I believe Jack did something to correct this but not exactly sure as to what they did.

MoonRabbit Guest
    It's not his looks that really bug me it's an interview he made that pissed me off. The way he acted. Wish I could find it!
    He described how he murdered Rebecca Shaeffer as if it were a movie he watched. He acted really weird.

It's not his looks that really bug me it's an interview he made that pissed me off. The way he acted. Wish I could find it!
    He described how he murdered Rebecca Shaeffer as if it were a movie he watched. He acted really weird.
    Yeah, it was weird, especially when he got to the point where he actually shot her. Looking back at it now, it's so weird to me that he was only 19 when this happened. He looked so much older.

Yes, I would bet that you and I saw the same interview. It's almost as if the way he described it, it was his greatest accomplishment, it literally makes you sick to your stomach. I just want this guy tortured, did I leave out "set on fire"? Beaten, raped, stabbed, set on fire... and maybe a steel pipe to each kneecap would be good enough for me...

I am watching E! 20 Most Horrifying Hollywood Murders right now & the Schaeffer case looks interesting. Obviously they only have like 6 minutes to summarize the case so this will be very interesting. I will read over this thread for details. I read/heard about this case a long time ago

I think what happened what they don't tell you is that he came back, pleaded with her and probably had somewhat of a more conversation with Rebecca & she being freaked out, I guess tried to stop him....
    Last edited by Tiffany; 12-20-2012 at 01:16 PM.

Minty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouattara View Post
    I read recently in a book (written in Spanish) that the assassin of Rebecca said was inspired by a song of U2 to kill her. The song was "Exit", and the assassin was inspired for this part:

"Hand in the pocket, finger on the steel
    The pistol weighed heavy
    His heart he coul feel
    Was beating, beating, oh my love..."
    As a mega U2 fan, I can attest to this being true. The band had it as a part of their live set for all of 1987 and was going to keep playing it on their 1989 tour as well. They ended up only playing it once before the murder happened and have never played it live since.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    As a mega U2 fan, I can attest to this being true. The band had it as a part of their live set for all of 1987 and was going to keep playing it on their 1989 tour as well. They ended up only playing it once before the murder happened and have never played it live since.
    Interesting. I didnĀ“t know it.
    When God goes to bed every night, he prays to CM Punk.

In 2000, Mark David Chapman (killer of John Lennon) was on Larry King Live and claimed Bardo wrote him letters before the killing.

http://murderpedia.org/male.C/c/chapman-mark.htm

KING: Anyone who gets attention sees this. Is there anything you could say to a celebrity to do about it?

"CHAPMAN: To contact someone. There's -- I think Gavin DeBecker (ph) is the person to contact. I couldn't tell them what to do, except don't egg on anybody. I think that's what Rebecca Schaeffer did, if I'm not mistaken. She wrote back to Bardo -- not that she's to blame for her death -- but she wrote back to Bardo, and she said, you know, thank you. That was the most wonderful fan letter I've ever gotten. I would discourage that.

I would more likely want to addresses the stalkers and say, look, you've got to talk to somebody. If you don't talk to somebody, you're going to end up like me.

KING: Have any of them ever contacted you, Bardo or anybody?

CHAPMAN: First time I've ever said this, Larry. Robert Bardo wrote me three letters. I don't have them anymore. I tore them up. They were very deranged letters.

KING: After he killed her?

CHAPMAN: This was before, Larry.

KING: Before he killed her?

CHAPMAN: Yes, but he did not mention killing anyone, and he did not mention Rebecca Schaeffer by name.

KING: Did he leave a return address?

CHAPMAN: Yes, he did.

KING: Did you turn it over to authorities?

CHAPMAN: Yes, I did. Someone, a Christian worker here, had a Christian group contact him and send him some materials. He wrote me back and said, that's doing me no good. You see, we're free agent. We make those choices.

KING: OK, why didn't the authorities do something about him?

CHAPMAN: Well, again, he wasn't saying he was going to kill anyone. He was just asking me questions. What is it like to be in prison? But very, very deranged letters. And, Larry, I got frightened. I tore them up.

KING: OK.

CHAPMAN: When I was watching the news, that news came on, and I went, my god, that's the same fellow that wrote to me. I told someone about it because I couldn't contain it, then tore up the letters because I don't want any part of either being for or against this man for what he did. He will have to stand alone on that, but I did receive mail from him, yes."

'Course it's finger pointing from another convicted murderer, so....
    I think her not responding to Bardo's fan letter probably would have pushed him over the edge too.
    Last edited by TheWrath of MadelineKahn; 02-15-2013 at 10:06 AM.

hurstman Guest
    I wonder if she would have got the part in The Godfather part III had she not been murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by nytkrew View Post
    That was a shame...she was a delightful woman.
    Is true I so think about her all the time.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.