Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: John Denver

Guest Guest
    I love hearing Annie's song every time my phone rings............... my sons love hearing Sunshine on my shoulders, Annie's song, and Leaving on a Jet Plane.......................... he was an awesome man and performer.

Quote Originally Posted by ratkin638 View Post
    I won't swear to being a huge John Denver fan - - concentrated doses of his music seem to raise my blood sugar - - but there's no denying that he was an excellent songwriter and musician.

His greatest talent, though, is one that's extraordinarily rare. As a performer he could totally captivate an audience. You may think that that's a common trait, but it's not. In my time in the critic business I saw hundreds and hundreds of concerts. I encountered about 5 performers with that talent. I saw him once in Madison Square Garden, and he left 20,000 people with a feeling of intimacy with him, as if you had just been sitting in his living room while he sang you a few songs. It was akin to mass hypnosis, and it left you feeling good. I was ready to go out and buy another of his albums, and I didn't even have to buy albums! (The record labels gave them to me.)
    that's lovely, ratkin. you're lucky to have been there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ratkin638 Guest
    Another random memory of John Denver just arrived in my head, and it's from the same concert described above.

When he came out for his encore, John Denver jokingly added the best description of the 'encore dilemma' I've ever heard. [Performers actually do talk about this among themselves from time to time - - how do you time your encore? You want the crowd to whip itself up a bit before you come back out, but if you wait too long they start to give up and leave.]

After describing the dilemma briefly to the crowd, he gave his own solution. "I like to walk calmly to the back wall of the backstage area, and just touch the wall. Then I walk back onto the stage. It works perfectly every time!"

Guest Guest
    I like that........... he was a very wise man........... not keeping those who loved him waiting too long......... not like some performers now........

pattykad Guest
    Hey Noelle, this one is for you...I heard this on Stephanie Miller
    yesterday.

Music to your heart: Listening to John Denver classics can improve your blood flow

By Daniel Martin

Last updated at 6:33 PM on 12th November 2008

Joyful: The sounds of country singer John Denver increased blood flow to the heart of volunteers

Listening to your favourite music can improve the health of your heart, a study has shown.
    Scientists have found that happy music causes the lining of blood vessels to expand, increasing the amount of blood flow.
    And the benefits of joyful music are even greater than that of laughter, according to the researchers from the University of Maryland.
    But listening to 'stressful' music such as heavy metal can cause the vessels to contract - which can have a bad effect on the heart.
    They say the effect could be down to the release of endorphins, which are released by the brain to induce the feeling of well-being.
    Their study asked 10 healthy volunteers to bring in recordings of music that made them feel joyful.
    As the research was being carried out in the US, most brought in John Denver-style country music.
    They were also asked which music made them anxious, and most chose heavy metal.

RIPWELLSTONE Guest
    I like all types of music.. Punk, hard rock/metal, some really old country music, jazz, folk, and I can also say I like John Denver's music as well.. He has the sweetest voice that brings tears to my eyes!! His song writing is also really sweet.. The only song that I think is really cheesy by John Denver is "Sunshine on my Shoulder" I really dislike that song but otherwise I enjoy a mellow J. Denver song!!

Nelliebean Guest
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

MorbidMolly Guest
    John Denver was TRUE talent....I grew up on his songs and I don`t care how sappy sweet they may be to some, for me in my childhood full of insecurity, he always made me feel GOOD....he was a good man

john denver music

In an era where we are are yearning for change, I have this video of John. it is called, "Its about time.

No matter what side of the political isle you are standing on, I think you will all agree on this video.

I hope this message will unite us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPW6...eature=related
    Last edited by coconn04; 11-19-2008 at 06:22 AM.

MorbidMolly Guest
    Wonderful post C......thank you

pattykad Guest
    Thanks for reminding me to stop on the way home and pick up
    his recently released CD of that Russian concert. The way my
    stocks are tanking, I need some John Denver tonight.

Thanks for the video link.

As much as I love Denver...I must say Sunshine on My Shoulders
    is my least favorite too. I'd also be happy if I never heard Grandma's
    Feather Bed again. But there are songs that I play over and over
    and never tire of them.

Shipmates and Cheyenne being one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KL0qpuN9qM

stinkythejokedog Guest
    Monterey Bay Low

janel Guest
    I like to sit in my little fishing boat and sing Calypso. Thank you JD for so many beautiful songs.

Lotusflower Guest
    Hi folks,

I grew up listening to John Denver because my dad loved his music, and when I was a kid I always remember thinking that he looked so kind. Kids are like that... they often "judge" people on the basis of looks, smile etc. I can't remember the exact thoughts I had about John Denver, but he was a nice guy :-) I have to laugh at it now, but I think I had kind of a crush on him... and I was only like 8 years old :-)))

Fast forward to now... and I have to say that this Cassandra seems like a piece of work. I found her Myspace page... with her 170 friends, and she is clearly a fantasist.
    There's all this info on their great love, and how they wrote songs together, and her referring to him as her husband. Not ONCE does she mention the fact that they were divorced. WHAT A FAKE and a WANNABE. I felt the same disgust as with Heather Mills. GOLD DIGGER GOLD DIGGER and GOLD DIGGER. R.I.P John Denver !!

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotusflower View Post
    Hi folks,

I grew up listening to John Denver because my dad loved his music, and when I was a kid I always remember thinking that he looked so kind. Kids are like that... they often "judge" people on the basis of looks, smile etc. I can't remember the exact thoughts I had about John Denver, but he was a nice guy :-) I have to laugh at it now, but I think I had kind of a crush on him... and I was only like 8 years old :-)))

Fast forward to now... and I have to say that this Cassandra seems like a piece of work. I found her Myspace page... with her 170 friends, and she is clearly a fantasist.
    There's all this info on their great love, and how they wrote songs together, and her referring to him as her husband. Not ONCE does she mention the fact that they were divorced. WHAT A FAKE and a WANNABE. I felt the same disgust as with Heather Mills. GOLD DIGGER GOLD DIGGER and GOLD DIGGER. R.I.P John Denver !!

Can you tell us how you truly feel LF.....LOL

Lotusflower Guest
    LOL :-) Sorry about my outburst there.. :-) I guess I had a lot on my mind on the subject ;-)

I know how LotusFlower feels on the subject matter of Cassandra.
    If you look at the previous page to this we can see how John's fans feel about her.

But on a more positive note, as I believe John like to find in everything,

I have this video called 'A Gift You Are".

In the beginning it shows Jesse Belle as a baby.
    The child is probably not his, as we can see by other post.

Here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwJIWxX-Vb8&NR=1

There are some guest stars that don’t work well with the Muppets, and others who do.

John Denver is one of the best, making me think that he’s part Muppet himself; in fact, I remember seeing a brief obituary for Denver in USA Today – the picture they chose to run was one of John and Kermit together. How touching is that?

Well, I was choked up in any case. Denver’s music, part country, part folk, is a great match for the Muppets, and the entire special is a showcase for their songs together.

Here is a video from John Denver and the muppets
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP5MwVdu3c0
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-04-2008 at 05:58 PM.

Sam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotusflower View Post
    Hi folks,

Me too! I find myself always staring at his face, his lips, and I always want to kiss him....

Darrianne Guest
    One of my favorite songs is: "Some Days Are Diamonds" (Some Days Are Stone). That song always hit a part inside of me and I related to it. Also makes me cry.

Loved John Denver since I bought his first album when I was a high school freshman. As you all say, he was able to convey great emotion in his voice. I read his autobiography a few years ago and found it fascinating. He struck me as being very intelligent, a tireless worker, somewhat of a perfectionist who traveled a lot and worked on many causes.

My favorite video of a live performance by him is from a peace rally in Washington DC in 1971. Those were the days of being politically active before the internet made it so much easier...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBcwAJZGXsk

pattykad Guest
    I've played that video many times. I know I was chastised here on
    FAD for peace marching at the RNC but I like to think that if Denver
    were alive he would have been there with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    I believe his music was also under appreciated. I enjoyed his acting also (even tho a bit corny at times !!)
    I loved his music too. Couldnt agree with you more his music was very much underrated although his Oh God movies were terrible at least for me anyway. I do have a movie with him and Jessica Tandy called Firefox I think? Anyway one of my favorite movies love Jessica Tandy as well

Elizabeth Guest

JD

I always miss John the most at Christmas time.....I used to love his Christmas specials, and it is not Christmas without his Christmas Muppet CD and his solo Christmas CD......now, more than ever, we need John Denver.....

"It's in every one of us, bye and bye....."

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post
    In an era where we are are yearning for change, I have this video of John. it is called, "Its about time.

No matter what side of the political isle you are standing on, I think you will all agree on this video.

I hope this message will unite us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPW6...eature=related
    That was great! his voice always gives me chills.

john denver and Christmas

All these years later, despite the passing of both Denver & Henson, selections from the John Denver and the Muppets album continues to be popular.

Not to be missed is Rowlf the Dog's lounge-lizard take on "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"

I have two favorite Muppet Christmas recordings, and they're both Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.
    The Bert and Ernie version only beats the Rowlf and John Denver version because John Denver is not, technically, a Muppet.

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdovE...eature=related

27. 12-24-2008, 06:53 PM

Elizabeth Guest

John

Quote Originally Posted by siameseman View Post
    I just heard these Christmas songs by John Denver today for the first time and thought of this thread when i heard them. His version of Silver Bells is really great and I can't believe that I never heard it before.

Silver Bells - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djfgo...eature=related

Christmas for Cowboys - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfS3Oj5jcas
    When I was growing up, it just plain flat out was not Christmas without the John Denver Christmas specials on TV.....his Christmas LP's (with and without Muppets) were always on the turntable, and now I play them (on CD) remembering good times with family....

God bless you, John....always in our hearts.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John Denver Christmas Rocky Mountain.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	11222  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Elizabeth; 12-24-2008 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Add pic

December 31, 1943 is the day John Denver was born.

He would have been 65.

He was a man who stood and fought for his causes.
    WE should all learn from him.

Here is a video that I found on youtube with pictures of him thoughout his life.
    We miss you John and we Cherish your memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auZ3Ign--9w
    Last edited by coconn04; 12-30-2008 at 06:54 PM.

pattykad Guest
    65 ? Sigh. We miss you John.

Northern Lights Guest
    I was listening to his music today, so I thought to bump this thread with two videos. These are my favorites of his songs

Country Roads
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uYag4yPdlA

Rocky Mountain High
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwARpaKHx_w

ShockDoc Guest
    Not to start a theological discussion, but being agnostic I always wonder why 'a loving God' would take the best ones early and let innocent children all over the planet, not old enough to be independent, go hungry. Just my opinion.

Who knows why God does what he does? When we answer that question we will be Gods ourselves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

34. 06-03-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote Originally Posted by michihunt View Post
    John Denver's children:
    Anna Kate is married and lives in New Zealand with her husband who also attended Dartmouth College, in Hanover, New Hampshire. Zak is married and still lives in Colorado. Jesse will be 18 in May and lives in Malibu with her mother Cassandra Delaney. Annie lives in Aspen and is a counselor.

On post 124 of this thread, Cassandra and Jessiebelle relocated from Malibu to Australia.
    Jessiebelle was going to appply to some drawing school. I don't know which one.
    This may have changed since that article which was two years ago.

As for John leaving us early, I always take comfort in the song 'Rocky Mountain High'.

" I know that he be a poorer man if he never knew he could fly"
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

pattykad Guest
    And Anna Kate owns a B and B....just in case you happen to be
    in the area...

I remember an article I read that Bernie Madoff was involved in handling money from the 'estate of John Denver'. It is kind of low even for Madoff. Here is the article. http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/st...2/daily65.html Companies linked to the late singer John Denver were among the apparent customers of financier Bernard Madoff, accused of swindling many of his clients, according to a bankruptcy-court filing made public on Thursday. The 162-page list includes hundreds of Colorado personal and company addresses. The list doesnâ??t say how much any person or company invested with Madoff or which of those listed lost money. John Denver Concerts Inc. and John Denver Enterprises Inc., both of Westport, Conn., were among the thousands of names on a filing made in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Manhattan by Madoffâ??s attorney. The John Denver Concerts and John Denver Enterprises investments were linked to the companiesâ?? pension funds. Ann Denver, listed at the same address, also was a Madoff customer, according to the list. The filing does not specify whether Ann Denver is the singerâ??s first wife, who is named Ann. John Denver, who lived in Aspen, was killed in 1997 in a plane accident. He was one of the worldâ??s most popular recording artists in the 1970s.
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

Today would have been John Denver's 66th Birthday.

I found a message that a fan made on another site about John last year.

Happy Birthday, John Denver!

Posted on Wednesday, December 31, 2008 by Laura
    John Denver in the early 1970s

Happy Birthday, John Denver! He would’ve been 65 today, though I’m sure he never would have retired in any traditional sense.
    And speaking of John Denver, I’ve been emailing the past couple days with a friend from high school — a friend I actually don’t yet remember (very sadly for me) but who has given me a bit of shot in the arm for the vitality of her memories — remembering me, and “how inspirational” I was, my guitar-playing, my John-Denver-song-singing. I told her that I remember being more unsure of myself than inspirational, but I’m glad to know I came off differently than I felt.
    So here’s to friends and memories and being thankful for them. And here’s to John Denver. He was a big influence on my teenage years, exactly when a positive and powerful influence is so… well — influential! Happy Birthday, John.
    And happy new 2009 to everyone! It’s cool how looking backward makes the future year all the more exciting.

Here is a song dedicated to John's Favorite theme, Which was/is Peace.
    I am sure he still is pushing for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpO0lsTQSs0

Edna St. Vincent Millay

My mum took me to see him in Melbourne in the 70's when I was a kid. I don't remember much about it but I have always enjoyed his music.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    He is and will always be my favorite singer.
    Can't wait to hear your beautiful voice again one day in heaven!!

pattykad Guest
    Thanks for the reminder of John's brithday. I attended the Celebration of Life
    in Aspen again this year in October. There is a tribute singer out there each
    year named Ted Vigil, with an amazing resemblance to John. He's also a fine
    singer and nice guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nsR0ihDJX4

Tonights Guest
    His was the first concert I was ever to, at the age of either 4 or 5. My mom and whole family have always been huge fans. This being Christmas, I have been listening to him even more than usual. His reading of his children's poem "Alfie the Christmas Tree" always brings tears to my eyes.

Elizabeth Guest
    On the holidays, along with thinking of lost family and friends, I remember past Christmases, and the things that helped make them great. The Christmas music of John Denver is one of them. His album with the Muppets and "Rocky Mountain Christmas" are on constant rotation at my house, reminding me of days gone by.....thank you, John, and you are always missed.....

STsFirstmate Guest
    His music has always ment alot to me. Hearing him sing always made me smile.
    He went too soon.His birthday is coming up on the 31st. I would like to think he is riding a ghost buckskin up through the winter mountains and smiling at the eagles.
    Thanks John!
    Regards,
    Mary

graciehillfarm Guest

Missing John

I feel the same way. His music was woven throughout my early years of marriage and having babies. I associate so many good times with his songs. The last time we saw him in concert, it was at Christmas time and he was doing a benefit concert. It was wonderful, especially his rendition of Silent Night with a children's choir accompanying him. I think as much as his music, I miss his laugh.

I miss him, too. All the time. He was such a great presence, both in his music and his activism.

Bunnygirl12 Guest
    LOVE LOVE LOVE HIM...so sad we lost such a talented sweet soul...RIP John and thanks for all you gave us to enjoy!!

Fancynancy Guest
    At one time i couldn't stand the man, but being from Colorado, one day I just got pulled into Rocky Moutain High and fell in love with it. AND Thank God I'm a Country Boy. What sealed it was I'm Sorry. Still don't know much about him, but I'm liking this guy.

Like Rocky Mountain High and Annie's Song.

Life ain't nothing but a funny, funny riddle! Thank God, I'm a country boy!

Aside from his autobiography, why hasn't anyone written a book about him?
    I love his music....makes me sad since his passing and I cry every time.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady1962 View Post
    Aside from his autobiography, why hasn't anyone written a book about him?
    I love his music....makes me sad since his passing and I cry every time.
    I read his autobiography a few years back. Pretty good, you can get it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Take-Home-Auto...3767614&sr=1-1