Thread: A Different Katrina Story: The Gift Pony

Noor 7ayaty Guest

A Different Katrina Story: The Gift Pony

[I haven't found out who wrote this yet, will post as soon as I find original author. It came to and from KathyF as a FWD. Hope you enjoy it -- Noor]

Meet Molly. She's a gray speckled pony who was abandoned by her owners when Katrina hit southern Louisiana, USA . She spent weeks on her own before finally being rescued and taken to a farm where abandoned animals were stockpiled. While waiting there, she was attacked by a pit bull terrier, and almost died. Her gnawed right front leg became infected and her vet went to LSU for help. But LSU was overwhelmed, and this pony was a welfare case. You know how that goes.

But after surgeon Rustin Moore met Molly, he changed his mind. He saw how the pony was careful to lie down on different sides so she didn't seem to get sores, and how she allowed people to handle her. She protected her injured leg. She constantly shifted her weight, and didn't overload her good leg. She was a smart pony with a serious survival ethic.

Moore agreed to remove her leg below the knee and a temporary artificial limb was built. Molly walked out of the clinic and her story really begins there.

"This was the right horse and the right owner," Moore insists.

Molly happened to be a one-in-a-million patient. She's tough as nails, but sweet, and she was willing to cope with pain. She made it obvious she understood she was in trouble. The other important factor, according to Moore , is having a truly committed and compliant owner who is dedicated to providing the daily care required over the lifetime of the horse.

Molly's story turns into a parable for life in post-Katrina Louisiana. The little pony gained weight, her mane felt a comb. A human prosthesis designer built her a leg.

The prosthetic has given Molly a whole new life, Allison Barca DVM, Molly's regular vet, reports. And she asks for it! She will put her little limb out, and come to you and let you know that she wants you to put it on. Sometimes she wants you to take it off too." And sometimes, Molly gets away from Barca. "It can be pretty bad when you can't catch a three-legged horse", she laughs.

Most important of all, Molly has a job now. Kay, the rescue farm owner, started taking Molly to shelters, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers. Anywhere she thought that people needed hope. Wherever Molly went, she showed people her pluck. She inspired people. And she had a good time doing it.

"It's obvious to me that Molly had a bigger role to play in life", Moore said, "She survived the hurricane, she survived a horrible injury, and now she is giving hope to others."
    "She's not back to normal," Barca concluded, "but she's going to be better. To me, she could be a symbol for New Orleans itself."

This is Molly's most recent prosthesis. The bottom photo shows the ground surface that she stands on, which has a smiley face embossed in it. Wherever Molly goes, she leaves a smiley hoof print behind!

hollywoodsaint Guest
    As someone who's life was deeply affected by that #&@%^ Katrina-- thanks for that cool story. :thumbsup:

endsleigh03 Guest
    Thanks for that story.
    The end is awesome with the smiley print when she walks.

pvezz Guest
    What a great story!

1karenhb Guest
    This made me tear up. Thanks for the story.

lisalouver Guest
    With all the shit and the bad things that people did in the aftermath of Katrina, this is a wonderful story!

And that smiley face on the bottom of her new "hoof" is so great!

mel306 Guest
    Ah that is really sweet. I wonder if her original owners will resurface now. That could be good or bad.

Chevyheaven Guest
    I wish people would do that for all horses that get bad legs. I am not trying to lesson the importance and compassion of this story by any means but it really sucks that when a winning horse has to be put down because he has a broken leg. That sucks.
    Im glad that she is doing well. Good for her. Shes a wee fighter!! Amazing post!!
    Thanks for sharing that!

ozzysmom Guest
    I'm all teary eyed now. I wanna go give Molly a big hug. Oh and hugs to all the wonderful people who helped out such a wonderful animal. Hats off to those guys.

LOVE the smiley face hoof print! Nice touch and very fitting.

NOVSTORM Guest
    God that gave me a lump in the throat. What a beautiful pony . I am glad the docs took their valuable time and put it to good use..You are so right with every thing bad that happened this seems to make things better.

Noreen Guest
    Brought a tear to my eye as well.

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing it with us!

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    You're all so very welcome! Sometimes we might briefly miss that one ray of sunshine that makes it through the clouds ... and I love "giving back" to my fellow hags who give so much themselves

Perhap's this wonderful pony's story is a kind of experiment that other owners will consider in the future. Unfortunately, there are some injuries that are just too severe and cannot be healed due to multiple reasons. When a vet has a *success* case like this s/he makes sure the news gets out. Perhaps many will be helped by Molly's wonderful example!

By the way they describe Molly, I think she's aware that she's inspiring others ... animals sense so much more than they're given credit for.

mrnorrischangestrains Guest
    This is an amazing story, thank you.

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    I still didn't find the official author but OMG!!! Molly is in Snopes (listed as completely true!) and this poor pony went through more hell than we know! It says the pit bull ripped part of her jaw off, gashed open her belly, and bit ALL FOUR of Molly's legs! That poor baby!!!! Here is the link, check it out (it also links to additional news stories):

Molly's Miracle!

djdeath-hag Guest
    Dear, Sweet Noor,

I received this story from Warmbear a few days ago. Molly's journey touched my life & I've shared her story with many others. If ONLY, I too, could leave smiley faces in my foot steps, I could feel that I'd made a difference here on this planet. But since I can't quite do that....I will keep putting myself, my words, my hopes & my love out there for all to see.

Bless you for sharing this with our FADfamily!

Noor 7ayaty Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    Dear, Sweet Noor,

I received this story from Warmbear a few days ago. Molly's journey touched my life & I've shared her story with many others. If ONLY, I too, could leave smiley faces in my foot steps, I could feel that I'd made a difference here on this planet. But since I can't quite do that....I will keep putting myself, my words, my hopes & my love out there for all to see.
    But dear, you are already doing that. You're a success at it

Bless you for sharing this with our FADfamily!

Humble thanks, and it's my honor to be a part of a very special group of people.

Snudgie Guest
    Oh I shouldn't read stuff like this when I'm hormonal...I'm now bawling over a 3 legged horse dammit!!

Too cute....Hi little horsey!!