Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Van Dyke

Dick Van Dyke

Hey, I use to watch this show when I was growing up and they use to have the three intros. I could never guess which of the three -Dick sidestepping, Dick tumbling, or Dick tripping until after it happened.

Youtube Rocks!
    regular speed.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPsofhzu9f0&feature

half speed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhsQjgsizb0

hoxharding Guest
    I never could figure out how they decided which opening to use each week.

it use to drive me nuts! of course, for me it was a short trip...

but back in the day you would only see it once or twice and then try to remember and crap by the next day it would be forgotten.

Chunga Guest
    The guy who wrote the theme song just died today.

I remember from the OJ Simpson trial one of the witnesses
    was a fan of the Dick Van Dyke show.

lisalouver Guest
    I love the one where he sidesteps and how the music goes right with it!

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lisalouver View Post
    I love the one where he sidesteps and how the music goes right with it!

Ditto, that's the one I like too!!

Can anyone predict as he walks in the door which of the three intro will be used?

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    I remember from the OJ Simpson trial one of the witnesses
    was a fan of the Dick Van Dyke show.
    I pass..........
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Quote Originally Posted by johnny View Post
    Can anyone predict as he walks in the door which of the three intro will be used?
    I thought that it depended on which season; that the earlier ones had him trip and then they did the side-step like in the third season.
    KELT' HOME FOR WAYWARD YOUTH-
    Helping Young Men To Turn Around For Over Twenty Years !

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    I thought that it depended on which season; that the earlier ones had him trip and then they did the side-step like in the third season.
    I used to watch it all the time and I remember when they began having him side step and that's what I remember him doing there after.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Pat MaGroin Guest

Dick Van Dyke

No, don't worry, he isn't dead (yet). But he had a strange experience that he told reporters in November 2010 that I thought I'd share here. Evidently he fell asleep on his 'surfboard' (?) and drifted far out to sea. He saw dorsal fins in the water (sharks!) and thought he was dead but it ended up being a pod of porpoises (porpii?), who gently pushed him back to shore.
    (Then he mounted a unicorn, farted out fairy dust and galloped along a rainbow to his home).
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/nov/11/dick-van-dyke-porpoises-rescue

Porpoises rescue Dick Van Dyke

Mary Poppins star feared death after apparently falling asleep on his surfboard but friendly sea creatures pushed him to shore
    On screen, Dick Van Dyke has been rescued from untimely death by flying cars and magical nannies. Off screen, the veteran star of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Mary Poppins had to rely on the help of a pod of porpoises after apparently dozing off aboard his surfboard. "I'm not kidding," he said afterwards.
    Van Dyke's ordeal began during an ill-fated trip to his local beach. "I woke up out of sight of land," the 84-year-old actor told reporters. "I started paddling with the swells and I started seeing fins swimming around me and I thought 'I'm dead!'"
    Van Dyke was wrong. "They turned out to be porpoises," he said. "And they pushed me all the way to shore." The porpoises were unavailable for comment.
    Van Dyke made his screen debut on the Phil Silvers Show before bagging his own TV sitcom in 1961. His film credits include Bye Bye Birdie, Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Dick Tracy, while his TV drama Diagnosis: Murder ran from 1993 to 2001. In recent years he has appeared on screen in Night at the Museum and its 2009 sequel.
    Last edited by Pat MaGroin; 12-28-2010 at 10:33 AM.

growl Guest
    Hmmmmmm sounds fishy to me!!!!!

love your name, Pat MaGroin!!!!!

letty1970 Guest
    Hhahahaha Your Name is funnier than your post.....Though that is a bit funny too...

Guest Guest
    Oh crikey! I feared the worst. Glad he is still with us. Interesting story though. Hope this can be moved to entertainment

Ok, I freaked out when I was getting ready to open the thread. Feel better now....
    Cindy

ajlposh Guest
    Oh God, my heart nearly stopped. Glad to know he's ok.

Nicki Guest
    Ditto!

Guest Guest
    well if anyone is going to fall to sleep on a surfboard (wtf??) and get saved by dolphins it would be Dick Van Dyke!!

strange but hey I guess it could happen..why not? I hope if I'm ever lost at sea that Flipper would help a hooker out!

Pat MaGroin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Oh crikey! I feared the worst. Glad he is still with us. Interesting story though. Hope this can be moved to entertainment

Oops - Sorry if I freaked people out with this. I just joined yesterday so pardon me if I accidentally gave Dick an untimely death! Wasn't sure if 'near-deaths' (like this one is being reported as) should go here or not. Mea culpa!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat MaGroin View Post
    No, don't worry, he isn't dead (yet).
    Well, Pat MaGroin, welcome to FAD; and I'm glad that our old Dick is still with us; and Van Dyke; as well.

I'm glad to read that our Dick was rescued by something animate; something that requires no "suspension of disbelief"; unlike flying cars, wizardry, or some such stuff that obviously exceeds any believable technological possibility.

Flying machines, indeed!

And there is a precedent - Elian Gonsalez (sp?) was also guided to shore, surrounded by dolphins in the 90's; while fleeing Cuba; after others drowned in the sinking of their conveyance.

Interesting post - thanks for that.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    I dunno. I love DVD, I have for years. But I think someone ought to do a few tests on the man, starting with a good MRI of the brain.

Sounds like something medical is wrong. Alzheimers? Maybe. I was also thinking a brain tumor, or, maybe a cancer that started elsewhere and has moved to his brain.

Sorry, it's the nurse in me.

Jack'sGirl Guest
    Oh, and welcome Pat MaGroin!

Rosebud666 Guest

Thumbs up

Dick Van Dyke must be one of the singularly most likeable people in show business.

He was brilliant as a guest on the NPR show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me". That's why I like the "Not My Job" segment. They really do seem to get at the person behind the public image.

Dick Van Dyke on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me

omg I thought he was dead! glad he's still with us!

http://www.people.com/people/article...577325,00.html !

Actor Dick Van Dyke, 86, tied the knot with Arlene Silver, 40, on Feb. 29, reports RumorFix.com.
    Arlene Silver and Dick Van Dyke
    Steve Granitz/WireImage

The Diagnosis Murder star met Silver, a makeup artist, six years ago at the SAG Awards. After being "bowled over by her beauty," he hired her to be his personal makeup artist and the two became friends.

"The last couple of years we kind of fell in love," he tells RumorFix.com. "She keeps up with me."

As for their unique wedding date, Van Dyke says, "It was on the spur of the moment, we just decided Leap Day would be the best time to do it."

Van Dyke has four children from his first marriage, which ended in divorce. He later lived with longtime love Michelle Triola for more than 30 years, until her death in 2009.

The actor admits he's a relationship type of guy: "I'm not a loner. I have to have a life partner. I found the perfect one."
    I shall die, but that is all that I shall do for Death; I am not on his pay-roll.

Edna St. Vincent Millay

radiojane Guest
    Good for Dick. I listened to the audiobook version of his memoir, and you could hear the tears when he talked about Michelle. I'm glad he found someone.

Interesting Van Dyke factoid: He's big into animation and CGI. He has his own CGI studio and did most of the computer graphic work for Diagnosis Murder himself.

Quote Originally Posted by KELT View Post
    me too, by season?

Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post

Actor Dick Van Dyke, 86, tied the knot with Arlene Silver, 40, on Feb. 29, reports RumorFix.com.
    Steve Granitz/WireImage

The Diagnosis Murder star met Silver, a makeup artist, six years ago at the SAG Awards. After being "bowled over by her beauty," he hired her to be his personal makeup artist and the two became friends.

"The last couple of years we kind of fell in love," he tells RumorFix.com. "She keeps up with me."

As for their unique wedding date, Van Dyke says, "It was on the spur of the moment, we just decided Leap Day would be the best time to do it."

Van Dyke has four children from his first marriage, which ended in divorce. He later lived with longtime love Michelle Triola for more than 30 years, until her death in 2009.

The actor admits he's a relationship type of guy: "I'm not a loner. I have to have a life partner. I found the perfect one."
    Good for him- I hope they will be very happy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

Wish them well. All love is good.
    Archer Fact: You canâ??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by coconn04 View Post

Steve Granitz/WireImage
    Loved him in "Eight is Enough". But he seemed shorter and pudgier then...

He is 86? Wow, time slips away.

I kind of like her dress, it's different.

1karenhb Guest
    Why would a 40 y.o. marry an 86 y.o. except for money. I'm 58 and he is way too old for me. I think his kids just got screwed out of their inheritance since she is younger than them. At least it won't be a long marriage before she is set for life. Sorry to be such a cynic but this rarely happens unless the much older person has money.

Starstruck Guest
    I kinda think it's nice to see he didn't marry some 22 year old bimbo as skinny as a rake, he married an older woman
    who has some meat on them bones, looks nice and has her own gig as a makeup artist.

Good on him I hope he is happy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    Why would a 40 y.o. marry an 86 y.o. except for money. I'm 58 and he is way too old for me. I think his kids just got screwed out of their inheritance since she is younger than them. At least it won't be a long marriage before she is set for life. Sorry to be such a cynic but this rarely happens unless the much older person has money.
    When you are 86 who is left in your age group? I also think that 2 older people marry each other it gets rough because they real can't take care of each other. One person has to be the strong sane one. I suspect his kids would force a pre nup on them.

Well, ITA that this can be the case in many instances, but certainly not all. Although I don't know any couples with a 46 year age difference, my dad married a woman who is 20+ years younger than him. He is now 85 and they have been married for 20+ years, working together to build a home and a life together. She has always had a high income job and could not care less about status, diamonds, cars, etc.- we have always loved her, as she's been a blessing to our family. My friend's 85 year old dad just married his 62 year old girlfriend- they had known each other for years and wanted to marry, so IMO, just as with Dick Van Dyke, they should do what feels right for them. Dick has always seemed like sensible and nice person, so, I doubt that his marrige means his kids will lose their inheritance. JMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

I agree with Cyn on the inheritance thing.

Thanks for the pic, coconn. They look very happy. He's been one of my favorite stars ever since I was old enough to watch tv.

He is sharp, seems steady in the common sense deparment, has a variety of interests and is in great shape for someone his age. I saw him do one of his old soft shoe routines on a TV special not too long ago. He did it with the same grace he had in his 40's.

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Good for Dick. I listened to the audiobook version of his memoir, and you could hear the tears when he talked about Michelle. I'm glad he found someone.

Interesting Van Dyke factoid: He's big into animation and CGI. He has his own CGI studio and did most of the computer graphic work for Diagnosis Murder himself.
    I didn't know that. Thanks Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by suzycreamcheese View Post
    me too, by season?
    Yep. That's how you can tell the seasons apart. You'll also know which is the pilot episode by the amount of heavy make-up that was put on both he and MTM. It's a ridiculous amount that makes them look like the old silent screen stars. And it's only in that one episode. Guess someone at CBS realized how overdone they looked to before shooting the second show,

Nelliebean Guest
    I wish them well.

As far as the inheritance goes, It's HIS money and if he wants to pile it up and burn it, he can.

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Loved him in "Eight is Enough". But he seemed shorter and pudgier then...
    You mean Dick Van Patten? Yeah, he is shorter and pudgier than Dick Van Dyke!

Glad he's found happiness again. Never too late in life to fall in love.
    Cindy

what i thought was interesting about his bio was his relationship with his brother, jerry.

the amount of struggle he and his first wife went through was amazing.

but i agree with radiojane, when dick was talking about his later relationship with michelle you could tell he loved her very much.
    Delusion. Life's Best Coping Mechanism
    Check out Floyd's new Band:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHYA5iAAJg8

Some people have a sexual attraction to geriatrics (gerontophilia). Maybe shes the luckiest genuine geritol groupie on the planet. Maybe hes hung like a sea walrus and can chitty chitty bang bang all night long. Hes worth about 30 million so yeah shes set for life. Even if shes fucking for money I doubt hes oblivious to the fact he seems pretty sharp and Im sure his lawyers and kids lawyers are pretty sharp too. I doubt he would leave his kids high and dry regardless of the issue of whether are not they are actually owed an inheritence or not. Seems to me its a personal contract between two fully apperceptive adults should be considered just that. This scenario is definitely extraordinary and sevres for some strongly brewed tea but ultimately it aint nobodys business but the Silver Dick Dykes.
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Mammy Guest
    LOL! Silver Dick Dyke looks like Smiling Bob from the Enzyte commercials in that picture above.

slingshot Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mammy View Post
    LOL! Silver Dick Dyke looks like Smiling Bob from the Enzyte commercials in that picture above.

HAHAHAHA - this sounds like a product for lesbians.......

Rosebud666 Guest
    Dick Van Dyke is absolutely suave and full of whit. I'm sure if he wanted to he could totally charm the pants off a 40 year old with or without money.

Reeling them in is the easy part anyway. It's keeping them that's hard. Sometimes you just have to give up and throw them back in.

IIRC, both he and Mary Tyler Moore have said publicly that they were completely infatuated with one another, but they knew there was a line and they never crossed it.

ajlposh Guest

"Dick Van Dyke has canceled a public appearance next week due to fatigue " His wife is 46 years younger. I'd say he has a good excuse.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Wendy A. Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    "Dick Van Dyke has canceled a public appearance next week due to fatigue " His wife is 46 years younger. I'd say he has a good excuse.
    haha! IDK, I'm 40, and I'm glad they're happy and all, but it would be like boinkin' my grandpa..

Well, Grandpa's like to knock boots too.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

DVD was my first crush of my lifetime... at the ripe old age of 4. I saw Mary Poppins and it was love at first sight. One of my friends is close personal friends with Arlene and says nothing but good things about her and DVD. She says that they are completely over the moon with each other and while in his late 80's is a kid at heart. I myself am 50 and have been married for 18 years to my husband who is now 73. He is my soul mate. It works because I am an old soul and he too is a kid at heart.

The neurologic problems reported this week about DVD are concerning. It's no secret that for years and years he was a heavy drinker and smoker. While he has been sober for years, long term drinking and smoking significantly increases the risk of cancer, stroke and Alzheimer's Disease later in life. I hope that isn't the case and that he is just tired.

BTW, you can find more about DVD on Facebook. His screen name is Richard W Van Dyke.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

radiojane Guest
    Ugh. I don't want to think of a world without Dick Van Dyke.