Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: British Royal Family

Mammy Guest
    We have Walmart cupcakes, but those are likely considered low class. Lol

No Sprinkles here but I'm not sad about it. As a cupcake connoisseur I was very disappointed with Sprinkles. I have had 40 better cupcakes at local shops and even the grocery store (meow). I totally don't understand the hype and I laugh that the founder of Sprinkles is a judge on cupcake wars considering the unimpressive cupcakes she makes. Those are pretty cute though!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDeath View Post
    The baby's surname will be Cambridge. William's surname is Wales. Catherine's is Cambridge. It's a bit complicated! Anyways I'm happy for them. They seem a very sweet couple
    I believe those are titles of some sort. I assume because the baby is the son of William who is the son of Charles who is the son of Queen Elizabeth who married Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh, before she ascended the throne, the baby's legal last name is Mountbatten, the name rarely heard by the public.

They may call themselves royalty, but every one of them has a first and last name like everyone else, stripped of titles.

Ah, here it is...William's full name is William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-...iams-last-name
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II#Marriage
    Last edited by Bidmor; 07-22-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SRVFan View Post
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Bidmor View Post
    I believe those are titles of some sort. I assume because the baby is the son of William who is the son of Charles who is the son of Queen Elizabeth who married Philip Mountbatten, Duke of Edinburgh, before she ascended the throne, the baby's legal last name is Mountbatten, the name rarely heard by the public.

They may call themselves royalty, but every one of them has a first and last name like everyone else, stripped of titles.

Ah, here it is...William's full name is William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor.

http://www.ask.com/question/what-is-...iams-last-name
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_II#Marriage
    Correct! They've gone by Windsor for ages, hence Windsor Castle being aptly named.

I'm guessing the first name will be Phillip. I wonder if they'll throw in "Spencer" as one of the names as an homage to Diana.
    Archer Fact: You canā??t tourniquet the taint. (Source: Ray Gillette)

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    I'm guessing the first name will be Phillip. I wonder if they'll throw in "Spencer" as one of the names as an homage to Diana.
    That would be nice.

Wendy A. Guest
    It's nice to know he won't end up with a stupid name like North West, Apple or Blue Ivy.

Bayou Queen Guest
    I was hoping for a girl and perhaps William could put somewhere in the never ending names the Royals seem to give to their young, Diana; in honor of his Mother. Then I heard on t.v. this afternoon that the name (names) must first be approved by the Queen. Guess that would have ruled out any chance of Diana.

I am very happy for this lovely couple and that Kate and Baby Windsor - Mountbatten - Cambridge, etc. etc., are doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by homesgirl View Post
    I really hope so. Spencer would make a great first name.

Quote Originally Posted by findadeathaddict View Post
    I really hope so. Spencer would make a great first name.
    It would!

MrsE1981 Guest
    I think they should name him Joffrey.

DrDeath Guest
    Interesting as in the army he's Fl Lft William Wales. And when Catherine ordered some furniture and she was asked for her name (believe it or not she wasn't recognised!) she gave her name as Catherine Cambridge. They're Mountbatten-Windsor bloodline but their surnames are dictated by their titles. Princess Beatrice of York is Beatrice York on her degree certificate as is her sister Eugenie.

I read the same thing you are explaining Dr. Death. Mountbatten-Windsor is the family name but they actually have different last names. It's all so complicated! Does that mean Cambridge will be the last name, seems that is what most of them are (Wales, York, etc...) or do they get to choose to use that or the family name?

I am thinking it will be George Phillip Spenser Mountbatten

radiojane Guest
    I doubt that the Queen would veto Diana as a name, although I doubt they'd pick it as a first. Irrelevant now anyways. And their individual last names are dictated by title.

PurrPurr Guest

Here's another photo. Kate's bosoms look plump and fit for a King (the baby and William!).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Baby.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	47548

PurrPurr Guest

The little prince already mastering a royal wave

Jacksmum Guest
    Ugh - CBC is being annoying. From the commentator: "And Kate's not worried about showing that she still has a bit of baby weight to lose."

SHE'S ONE DAY POSTPARTUM!!!!!!!!

Bidmor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post
    Ugh - CBC is being annoying. From the commentator: "And Kate's not worried about showing that she still has a bit of baby weight to lose."

The woman is still hot.

I gotta give 'em this. At least they left the hospital as any other couple would...mom and baby in back seat with dad up front driving. Good show....reinforces the public "commoness" of the couple.

I have to admit, I got teary when I saw the pics of Will and Kate, with Diana and Charles when they took William home from the hospital. *wipes eyes*
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

I watched them come out, and I got teary. William kept rubbing her back, affectionately, and that showed me their relationship is more "real" than that of Charles and Diana. They seem overjoyed, and not the least bit pretentious, given the circumstances. I also loved it when William actually put the baby in the car, and drove, himself. I can see SO MUCH of his mother in him. He seems much kinder than his father. Diana definitely left a legacy with him.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I am thinking it will be George Phillip Spenser Mountbatten
    Good choice. I like George and Spenser. Phillip and George are in Charles' name isn't it "Charles, Phillip, Arthur George?" But then again, Phillip would honor the baby's great grandfather. I think Charles should be in there too because wasn't that Diana's father's name?

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post
    I watched them come out, and I got teary. William kept rubbing her back, affectionately, and that showed me their relationship is more "real" than that of Charles and Diana. They seem overjoyed, and not the least bit pretentious, given the circumstances. I also loved it when William actually put the baby in the car, and drove, himself. I can see SO MUCH of his mother in him. He seems much kinder than his father. Diana definitely left a legacy with him.
    I loved that part, where William put the baby in the back with the car seat then got in and drove off. They really are a sweet couple. So much of how they are, as a couple, reflects Diana's influence on her boys. I'm impressed! Glad to see the palace henchman haven't been able to bother them the way they did Diana and Sarah Furgeson.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

radiojane Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacksmum View Post

Oh my god. Seriously? I'm glad I didn't hear it. CBC pisses me off daily.

Didn't Diana wear a similiar outfit bringing Wills home?

Quote Originally Posted by radiojane View Post
    Oh my god. Seriously? I'm glad I didn't hear it. CBC pisses me off daily.

I wondered when the press was going to start harassing poor Kate about her "Baby weight"!! Come on!! She not a Hollywood actress who has cosmetic surgery as soon as she gives birth so she can get her mug on the cover of People to show off her post baby bod.
    Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.

Bidmor Guest
    Yep. I just saw side by side pix. Diana's dress had more dense polka dots with a huge white collar thing. The couple might have picked out that dress as a subtle tribute to Diana.

Kate?

I'd hit it, and twice on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post

The baby already has more hair on his head then
    Dad does.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Bidmor Guest
    More on the Mountbatten-Windsor name which was adopted in 1960 and traces its origins back to the German House of GlĆ¼cksburg. The surname Mountbatten was originally Battenberg, also Germanic. Some fascinating reading about the "royal" families which very few people are aware of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...Windsor_family
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_o...l%C3%BCcksburg

Quote Originally Posted by PurrPurr View Post

This pic was posted on FB. A comment: Isn't she cute!
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-23-2013 at 05:25 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Funny how all newborns look like Winston Churchill.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Pat Bateman Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
    Good choice. I like George and Spenser. Phillip and George are in Charles' name isn't it "Charles, Phillip, Arthur George?" But then again, Phillip would honor the baby's great grandfather. I think Charles should be in there too because wasn't that Diana's father's name?

I loved that part, where William put the baby in the back with the car seat then got in and drove off. They really are a sweet couple. So much of how they are, as a couple, reflects Diana's influence on her boys. I'm impressed! Glad to see the palace henchman haven't been able to bother them the way they did Diana and Sarah Furgeson.

Diana's brother is called Charles. Her dad was Edward John Spencer, known as Johnny Spencer. The story is that Diana wanted to name William 'John' after her father but the Queen vetoed the idea. I think John might be one of the new baby's names, along with Michael, for Kate's father.

Agree that Wills and Kate seem like a very down to earth couple, much to their credit.
    Last edited by Pat Bateman; 07-23-2013 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jenivere2011 View Post
    He is a gem, isn't he?? I also get the feeling that he always feels, to some degree, that he must protect Kate and also to sort of atone for her exposure to the spotlight in the most sacred moments of her life. Like he never forgets how hard it must be for her and how much she sacrifices to be his wife. How many gorgeous women in the world will strut their stuff the day after giving birth?? Not a chance in hell. I believe they are truly in love and they have a deep level of respect for each other.
    Regards,
    Tamie
    When you are dead, you don't know you are dead. It is difficult only for the others. It is the same when you are stupid.

radiojane Guest
    I really get a good vibe from both those boys. They just seem real, and while I know everyone and their dog credits Diana solely for that, I think they both have brains, and worked hard not to repeat the sins of their parents. Harry is a little wild, but as far as I'm concerned, Harry has a right to be. The Nazi costume? For a prince, yes, dumb move. 20 something guy? Totally makes sense. Same with the Vegas thing. He's in the freaking army for crying out loud. Let the guy live. I'd rather shake my head a little at some young and dumb antics than deal with more cheating, lying, tampon crap.

I see a lot of Grandma in William too. He has that self assured bearing that isn't snotty or overly proud. He just knows who he is and what he's supposed to do in the world.

PurrPurr Guest
    The baby's name is going to be announced in about 15 minutes, according to HLN.

EDIT: Name is George Alexander Louis.

http://news.sky.com/story/1119977/ge...me-is-revealed
    Last edited by PurrPurr; 07-24-2013 at 10:29 AM.

I am disappointed. Sounds so pompous. Maybe they'll call him Alex.

I guessed George!!!

I can't get a name right in the Death pool but by god I can guess a baby name right.

PurrPurr Guest
    The official title will be HRH Prince George of Cambridge.

Or he'll be called Prince George

radiojane Guest
    I like George. I really do. King George just sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by duchessmary View Post
    My son's name is Alexander, so I second that!

Quote Originally Posted by duchessmary View Post
    Exactly my thoughts!!! All those names to choose from and they chose George???? IMO his only chance is if he is called Alex. But then again I would have hated the name William if I hadn't grown up with it. But I ws 3 when he was born so I never knew different. I wonder what the paparazzi will nickname him? William - Wills. George-???
    "Honestly may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonestly is the second-best policy."
    - George Carlin

I really get a good vibe from both those boys. They just seem real, and while I know everyone and their dog credits Diana solely for that, I think they both have brains, and worked hard not to repeat the sins of their parents. Harry is a little wild, but as far as I'm concerned, Harry has a right to be. The Nazi costume? For a prince, yes, dumb move. 20 something guy? Totally makes sense. Same with the Vegas thing. He's in the freaking army for crying out loud. Let the guy live. I'd rather shake my head a little at some young and dumb antics than deal with more cheating, lying, tampon crap.

I see a lot of Grandma in William too. He has that self assured bearing that isn't snotty or overly proud. He just knows who he is and what he's supposed to do in the world.
    Hate to say this on such a joyous occasion, but IMO Harry can't have any inherited Windsor traits because Charles isn't his father. Just saying.

Name:	79.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	47558

-_- No comment.

MrsE1981 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Hate to say this on such a joyous occasion, but IMO Harry can't have any inherited Windsor traits because Charles isn't his father. Just saying.

Mom? Is that you?

I was really hoping they would include Spencer as a nod to his mother. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post

I've posted on here somewhere that the gene for baldness is carried by the mother, not the father. I looked it up and I may be wrong, depending on how acurate this article on Straight Dope is. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-whos-to-blame
    Last edited by cindyt; 07-24-2013 at 12:28 PM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I've posted on here somewhere that the gene for baldness is carried by the mother, not the father. I looked it up and I may be wrong, depending on how acurate this article on Straight Dope is. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-whos-to-blame
    This has been my understanding as well, my observations generally confirm it. My maternal GF had a full head of hair as do I (I'm 53, knock on wood). My wife's father has been bald as a billiard ball for years. This doesn't bode well for my son.

Katrinawitch Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsE1981 View Post
    I think they should name him Joffrey.
    Haaaaa! Game of Thrones fan?!

I'm a bit bummed about George. It's kind of an old-fashioned name, and not in a good way (no offense to anyone with loved ones named George). I was hoping for James. That's very royal, yet modern at the same time.

I'm not a huge royal watcher, but I love Wills and Kate, because they seem genuinely in love.

Carrie Guest
    I'm not digging the George name either. William and Kate seem like a hip couple and George just doesn't fit into that, sounds kind of fuddy-duddy to me. I would have preferred James. I just hope that they don't call him Georgie...that would be just awful!!