Thread: Les Paul

Les Paul

I do not play guitar but love to listen to them.Les paul was a giant.His work with Mary Ford beautiful music.When he and Chet Atkins did Chester and Lester, that was some damn fine guitar playing.Anyone else like his work?

mommafreak Guest

guitar players

the best three in my book in order....

Les Paul
    Steve Vai
    Stevie Ray Vaughn

Oh man alive.......

Weezer12 Guest
    You ARE aware that Les Paul is still alive, right?

SuburbanDeathHag Guest
    "How High the Moon" gets stuck in my head when I hear it---so retro cool sounding. I have been waiting to hear he's dead for a long time. He must be a healthy old guy.

poppie Guest
    Les Paul - Mary Ford. It doesn't get much better that that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

according to one of jimis' biographers,Les was right behind Chas,at the Cafe Wha? with a contract.

wonder how that would have been?

wraith Guest
    Not only is Les Paul still alive, but he also still performs. He is 92 years old, still spry, and a national treasure.

Bidmor Guest
    We also can thank Les Paul for inventing stereo recording which led to multitrack studio recording....that's how he created a "vocal stack" of Mary which is heard on How High The Moon.

Basically he took a mono tape recorder, added a second record/play head, and by defeating the erase head they would listen to the basic recording already laid down coming from the second record/play head set to play and Mary would listen and sing with herself into the mic and the original record/play head, set to record, would record her voiceover on top of the original recording. The physical distance between the two heads created the time delay/echo sound as the tape passed by.

Paul perfected his modifications and patented it, then sold it to a company by the name of Ampex which already manufactured tape recorders. Thus stereo and multitrack recording was born. For years, Ampex was the standard in studio multitrack recorders.

Paul did well for himself financially, not to mention licensing his name to Gibson guitars.
    Last edited by Bidmor; 11-05-2007 at 11:20 AM.

susalu Guest
    they had the best documentary on PBS on Les a while back.... really worth the time!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmast...se/paul_l.html

Les Paul

The Wizard of Waukesha is taking his act to Milwaukee.

Les Paul

A concert last year by Les Paul in Waukesha raised more than $100,000 for the development of a museum there.

After waiting several years for a Waukesha museum to produce an exhibit about his life and career, music legend Les Paul is partnering with Discovery World in Milwaukee for an exhibit opening this summer.
    The Waukesha native said the attraction known as "Les Paul's House of Sound," which is being announced today, would not conflict with the exhibit still under development in Waukesha.
    But he called downtown Milwaukee's interactive science museum "a perfect place" for an exhibit highlighting his innovations in music and recording. He has agreed to lend Discovery World musical instruments and other artifacts from his personal collection.
    Speaking from his home in New Jersey, Paul voiced enthusiasm for connecting with Milwaukee-area musicians through interactive displays about his pioneering work with electric guitars and multitrack recording.
    "All of that stuff should be somewhere where a fellow can see it - and learn it," he said.
    Discovery World officials said the exhibit will highlight Paul's Wisconsin roots while also educating visitors about his innovations. The 3,000-square-foot attraction will feature interactive elements, including an opportunity for each visitor to play a guitar while Paul himself provides instruction on a pre-recorded videotape.
    Joel Brennan, president of the Milwaukee museum, said the attraction should appeal to people interested in Paul's music, his inventions or his youth in Waukesha.
    "We're aiming for a broad audience," Brennan said.

Opening June 21

The exhibit is scheduled to open June 21 and continue through the end of the year. At that time, officials will confer with Paul on whether he wants to make it permanent, either at Discovery World or somewhere else in the area.
    Brennan would not speculate on whether those promoting an exhibit in Waukesha could get involved, saying that Paul himself would make those decisions. Brennan, however, said he would be delighted if Discovery World's exhibit evolved into a permanent tribute to Paul.
    "He's got an opportunity to showcase what his life has meant," Brennan said. "He certainly deserves it."
    Civic leaders in Waukesha have talked at least 10 years about developing a museum exhibit dedicated to Paul's career. Just last week, the Waukesha County Historical Society & Museum disclosed plans to seek a $1 million federal grant to advance its efforts.
    Officials at both Discovery World and the Waukesha museum are optimistic that the two attractions could co-exist and flourish together.
    But a major supporter of the proposed Waukesha attraction, known as the "Les Paul Experience," voiced concern that it could become overshadowed.
    Andrea Bryant, whose family has donated $250,000 to the Waukesha museum, said she had heard nothing previously about plans for a Discovery World exhibit.
    "It does worry me," she said. "It dilutes what we are trying to do at this museum."
    The Waukesha group's efforts have languished despite years of fund-raising that included a sold-out benefit concert by Paul that raised more than $100,000 last year. With at least $3 million needed to finish the project, donations have totaled $1 million or less.
    The most recent projection was that Waukesha's exhibit could open by 2010.
    Barbara Tewes, president of the Waukesha historical society, said she was aware that Discovery World was pursuing an exhibit with Paul. Tewes said she believes that the two exhibits could complement each other.
    "People are going to come to Discovery World," she said. "And then, having us so close, they can come to us, too."
    Discovery World opened at its lakefront facility in September 2006 after getting more than $50 million in support from philanthropist Michael Cudahy and several area businesses.
    Museum staffers approached Paul and his business manager about an exhibit this year, saying that some Discovery World visitors had suggested the idea.

Bing Crosby's idea

Paul, who often is called the Wizard of Waukesha because of his technical prowess, said the notion of having his own museum exhibit actually was suggested in the 1940s by crooner Bing Crosby. Shortly after the two collaborated on a recording of "It's Been a Long, Long Time," Crosby urged Paul to set up a public exhibition that Crosby described as a "House of Sound."
    Asked why it took so long to bring that vision to life, Paul said: "I don't know. It just happened."
    After weeks of discussions, Paul's management team inked an agreement with Discovery World over the weekend. It will be announced at 10 a.m. today during a news conference at the Milwaukee facility. Paul will participate through a videotaped message.
    Michael Braunstein, who is Paul's business manager, said the opportunity to develop an interactive exhibit with a newer museum was appealing.
    Paul and his management team also are eager to complete such a project while the 92-year-old entertainer is still able to participate and attend the grand opening. Braunstein added that while Paul remains willing to cooperate with the Waukesha exhibit, that group, he said, is "still working on getting its act together."
    Several museums have sought out Paul for donations from his vast reservoir of artifacts, including the Smithsonian Institution.
    Braunstein, however, said the Waukesha native feels a special bond with the Milwaukee area - a feeling that was reinforced by the warm reception Paul received during last year's benefit concert.
    "Discovery World seemed to make a lot of sense," he said. "Les is intimately involved with this. He has the connection: This is his home."

I've got a Les Paul but I prefer my Strat. I'd give me left bollock to have a fiddle with Les Paul though. Maybe I'll gatecrash.

I love the way Les Pauls sound but they are too heavy for me. I prefer the SG or the Les Paul junior double cutaway. Fenders are way to twangy for my taste unless i'm playing country music, then its all about the Fender telecaster.

Les Paul and Chet Atkins together always made some fine music.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I loved his Coors commerical from a few years ago. Cracked me up. "You PLAY?"

Good lord!

How old is the man?

I thought he was ancient in the 80's.

Quite the guitarist, though. And markets a fine guitar.