Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alcatraz

Danny62 Guest

Alcatraz

The Ghost Stories of Alcatraz
    • The Utility Corridor
      One of the areas which some claim is the most active with paranormal activity is a utility corridor where inmates Coy, Cretzer and Hubbard were plummeted with bullets after a failed prison escape. It is there that in 1976 a night security guard reported hearing unexplained eerie clanging sounds coming from inside.
    • Cell 14D
      Cell 14D, one of the 'hole' cells is believed by some to be very active with spirits. Visitors and employees have reported feeling a raw coldness and at times a sudden 'intensity' encompasses the cell.
      Tales have been told of an event in the 1940s, when a prisoner locked-in 14D screamed throughout the night that a creature with glowing eyes was killing him. The next day guards found the man strangled to death in the cell. No one ever claimed responsibility for the convict's death, however the next day when doing head counts, the guards counted one too many prisoners. Some of the guards claimed seeing the dead convict in line with the other inmates, but only for a second before he vanished.
    • Warden Johnston
      Other stories have circulated that Warden Johnston, nicknamed "The Golden Rule Warden," also faced a bizarre event while showing some of his guests around the prison. According to the story, Johnston and his group heard someone sobbing from inside the prison walls, and then a cold wind whisked past the group. Johnston could never explain any reason for the occurances.
    • Cell blocks A, B, and C
      Visitors to cellblocks A and B. claim they have heard crying and moaning. A psychic visiting wrote that while in Block C he came upon a disruptive spirit name Butcher. Prison records show that another inmate in block C murdered Abie Maldowitz, a mob hitman known as Butcher.
    • The Ghost of Al Capone
      Al Capone, who spent his last years at Alcatraz with his health in decline from untreated syphilis, took up playing the banjo with a prison band. Fearing he would be killed if he spent his recreational time in the "yard," Capone received permission to spend recreation time practicing his banjo in the shower room. In recent years, a park ranger claimed he heard banjo music coming from the shower room. Not familiar with the history of Alcatraz, the ranger could not find a reason for the sound and documented the strange event. Other visitors and employees have reported hearing the sound of a banjo coming from the prison walls.
    • More Paranormal Reports
      Other odd events experienced over the years include guards smelling smoke, but finding no fire; sounds of unexplained crying and moaning; unexplained cold spots in areas of the prison and claims of seeing ghosts of prisoners or military personnel.

jay Guest
    Neat post Dan. My girlfriend went to Alcatraz last year and said there were a few places that it felt like someone was watching you, and the whole place gave her an odd feeling

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jay View Post
    Neat post Dan. My girlfriend went to Alcatraz last year and said there were a few places that it felt like someone was watching you, and the whole place gave her an odd feeling
    Man I would love to visit Alcatraz. Just watching the documentaries about it gives me the creeps.

Lucy Furr Guest
    I wish I'd had this list when I went!

I had strange feelings there but I'd attributed that to the fact that it is kind of a freaky place: the whole "caged men" aspect mixed with the decrepit look of the the whole island...ugh.

The freakiest part for me was the big fat flies that were all over the place. Mexican folklore says that those big fat flies are the spirits of dead people. I don't know if I buy that but the flies scared the shit outta me regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Man I would love to visit Alcatraz. Just watching the documentaries about it gives me the creeps.
    We're not far from there but haven't visited yet. The crowds have been pretty huge. We're waiting for some sort (any sort) of lull so we won't be hustled through like I've heard other people have been lately.

----------

Fun post too Dan

If and when I go to the USA, that is one place that I'd love to go to..........there have been so many stories, hauntings and theories over the years!

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Furr View Post
    I wish I'd had this list when I went!

I had strange feelings there but I'd attributed that to the fact that it is kind of a freaky place: the whole "caged men" aspect mixed with the decrepit look of the the whole island...ugh.

The freakiest part for me was the big fat flies that were all over the place. Mexican folklore says that those big fat flies are the spirits of dead people. I don't know if I buy that but the flies scared the shit outta me regardless.
    Lucy,

Tell us more about your visit. How bad was the decay? What did the prison look like? Why were the flies fat if there was no "food" on Alcatraz?
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

hoxharding Guest
    I went to Alcatraz when I was little and didn't know it was supposed to be haunted.
    I got the creeps in many areas of the place and felt like I was watched.
    Btw- don't know if they still do it but you can buy snacks there. At the end of the tour you get to go to a room and buy drinks and snacks.

Snoopy Guest
    Oh for sure..I was there last May and there are definately areas that made me feel more uncomfortable than others.but a very cool place! here's a picture I took as we were leaving...

kelbons Guest
    I'm not surprised at all that there are orbs in that pic; I'm just surprised that there aren't more!

My B-I-L went there recently, but hasn't told me anything about it. Then again, I don't talk to him much as he lives all the way across he country! But I saw some pics of he and his GF there on her Facebook page.... I'll have to ask her about it!

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan7962 View Post
    Better hurry because the good people of Marin want to make it into some kind of place that sucks. I read about it and cannot remember what it was ..oh yeah a peaceful garden. Tear down the buildings and have people go there for peace and love something like that.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    We're not far from there but haven't visited yet. The crowds have been pretty huge. We're waiting for some sort (any sort) of lull so we won't be hustled through like I've heard other people have been lately.

----------

Fun post too Dan
    go a week day ,when it is really cold lol
    i have been there before and after the Indians took it over and half destroyed the place. Totally a bad choice for them to do that. But anyway, there are many cold spots on that island. An older fellow who was a guard when Capone was there said that these people were sometimes treated inhumanely. Beating ,torture the whole ball of wax.
    But I think about the criminals that were housed there , they had done plenty of that themselves. He told us that he had heard that there is a prisoner walled up in one of the walls out there. He was burried alive for some ungodly thing. He didn't know if it was true or not but he said the Govt. never checked on it when they were informed that one of them had died and they would just dig a grave and put a number onit and that would take care of this guys disappearance. I can well imagine there was lots of tears shed in that place and you can feel it when you go there.
    He also said that JOhnson the warden wasn't all that forgiving when these guys did thing sout of line. The guards would mete out punbishments any way they felt like. He too heard the moans and crys from where there was no one housed and said he was glad when it was closed .

ScottyMonger Guest
    I went over Labor day weekend 2005. Take the night tour, the place definately has an eerie vibe at night when the crowds have gone.

1) Arrival by ferry at dusk

2) "Broadway"

3) Isolation cell

4) The cell of one of the escapees, showing one of the fake heads they used to fool the guards.

5) The ferry dock, just before heading back to Fisherman's Wharf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0666.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	488.5 KB 
ID:	4758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0674.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	442.8 KB 
ID:	4759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0678.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	4760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0682.JPG 
Views:	70 
Size:	483.7 KB 
ID:	4761  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0693.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	495.3 KB 
ID:	4762  
    Last edited by ScottyMonger; 04-07-2008 at 04:50 PM.

PvN73 Guest
    I took the night tour too! Way less crowded, you get to spend some time just wandering around, and it was great once it got a bit darker outside.

It was brilliant! Chilling but brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post
    I went over Labor day weekend 2005. Take the night tour, the place definately has an eerie vibe at night when the crowds have gone.
    Thanks for the pics!

Desertrose Guest
    I didn't know they did night tours. Sounds wonderful! I have been there before, interesting, fascinating and eerie. The Isolation Room was something I will never forget. Quite a place.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Better hurry because the good people of Marin want to make it into some kind of place that sucks. I read about it and cannot remember what it was ..oh yeah a peaceful garden. Tear down the buildings and have people go there for peace and love something like that.
    I also read something about this peace and love garden or whatever the hell it was.
    They need to leave Alcatraz alone. Leave it just as it is now.
    It's history, and we are so bad here about tearing things up and changing them.

Morto Guest
    Since it opened I have been many times over the years.Its a pretty amazing place and I am sure paranormals could have a ball there.Some parts of the prison are in great shape and restored,other areas are in a state of arrested decay.

itsintheeyes Guest
    My Disneyland.

Danny62 Guest
    I am still waiting for them to close it and destroy another valuable piece of history. Hope that doesn't happen?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    I also read something about this peace and love garden or whatever the hell it was.
    They need to leave Alcatraz alone. Leave it just as it is now.
    It's history, and we are so bad here about tearing things up and changing them.
    Well the hippies turned yuppies feelo that Alcatraz really is a detriment . They feel people should go there to relax and "feel the love" . It is too old too this too that.
    Pisses me off too.

Desertrose Guest
    Isn't Alcatraz protected as a state park in California? I thought I read somewhere that it was a state park and protected from anyone coming and changing it. It has so much history, no one could possibility consider changing it in any way - besides, California makes a lot of moola with the tours - why would they lose that???

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    Oh for sure..I was there last May and there are definately areas that made me feel more uncomfortable than others.but a very cool place! here's a picture I took as we were leaving...
    Great pic, thanks

go a week day ,when it is really cold lol
    i have been there before and after the Indians took it over and half destroyed the place. Totally a bad choice for them to do that. But anyway, there are many cold spots on that island. An older fellow who was a guard when Capone was there said that these people were sometimes treated inhumanely. Beating ,torture the whole ball of wax.
    But I think about the criminals that were housed there , they had done plenty of that themselves. He told us that he had heard that there is a prisoner walled up in one of the walls out there. He was burried alive for some ungodly thing. He didn't know if it was true or not but he said the Govt. never checked on it when they were informed that one of them had died and they would just dig a grave and put a number onit and that would take care of this guys disappearance. I can well imagine there was lots of tears shed in that place and you can feel it when you go there.
    He also said that JOhnson the warden wasn't all that forgiving when these guys did thing sout of line. The guards would mete out punbishments any way they felt like. He too heard the moans and crys from where there was no one housed and said he was glad when it was closed .
    That's sounds like a plan.

Last time we were able to get up that way, we went to the Cliff House. I posted some pics of it somewhere around here.

Never heard that story of anyone being buried behind a wall before. I'll have to check that out. Thanks Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyMonger View Post

1) Arrival by ferry at dusk

2) "Broadway"

3) Isolation cell

4) The cell of one of the escapees, showing one of the fake heads they used to fool the guards.

5) The ferry dock, just before heading back to Fisherman's Wharf
    Fun pics

I've always loved the story of the escapees for some reason. I think it's the whole did they make it or not thing that attracts me to it. Can't wait to see the fake heads, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    I took the night tour too! Way less crowded, you get to spend some time just wandering around, and it was great once it got a bit darker outside.

It was brilliant! Chilling but brilliant.
    I didn't know they had night tours either. That would probably work out the best as it wouldn't be so hard to pry my husband away from his work then, LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    Isn't Alcatraz protected as a state park in California? I thought I read somewhere that it was a state park and protected from anyone coming and changing it. It has so much history, no one could possibility consider changing it in any way - besides, California makes a lot of moola with the tours - why would they lose that???
    Well let's see what I can find about that...

From this it sounds like it is part of the State Park system. Don't worry folks, the hippies here are always doing the strangest things.

I doubt they'll be able to knock down one of Nor Cal's favorite cash cows anyway.

http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/websi...ombo-tour.aspx

Lucy Furr Guest
    Here are a few from my trip:

My favorite of 'em all: The Morgue!

Lucy Furr Guest

The gunshots in the concrete floor from the "Battle of Alcatraz":

The Warden's Mansion:

Here's yer welcome committee:
    Last edited by Lucy Furr; 04-08-2008 at 11:47 AM.

NOVSTORM Guest
    What a cold place. There is no heat in the cells. I guess most of the people that were there deserved it and had to be kept away from other people. I would have thought twice before doing something tthat would have landed mysorry ass there lol It is really a shame that the Indians destroyed that place. I understood what it what it was all about but why the destruction?
    Last edited by NOVSTORM; 04-08-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: added something

Lucy Furr Guest
    Here's one of the dummy heads from the successful (?) escape...does anyone here know if this is real or just a replica for "show"? It was behind plexiglass...

Escape hole to the bottom right:

Lucy Furr Guest
    As for the flies, you guess is as good as mine on possibilities...they are huge though.
    They are around the prison recreation area and specifically where you look over to see San Francisco. Here:

The flies are all around the island but mostly here along with a rank scent of death and bile...someone here please tell me they smelled that too
    They seem to follow you at least part of the boat ride back to shore; I honestly didn't notice them going out to the island.

Lucy Furr Guest
    What a cold place. There is no heat in the cells. I guess most of the people that were there deserved it and had to be kept away from other people. I would have thought twice before doing something tthat would have landed mysorry ass there lol It is really a shame that the Indians destroyed that place. I understood what it what it was all about but why the destruction?
    Ya really had to fuck up to get there in the first place. Right off the boat there are signs that say something to the effect of "this is the end of the line" and "you break the rules, you go to prison...you break the prison rules you go to Alcatraz".

Thanks everyone for the pics! Amazing - I'm jealous of all of you!
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

hoxharding Guest
    I remember being in the cell and they closed the door- it was not long,but I hated it.
    They did the same sort of thing in Williamsburg-but that was in a place with no light.

I've been there twice--loads of fun! I liked how whenever the guides or any of the written information available referred to the escapes/escape attempts, they would always insist that there's no proof that anyone ever escaped successfully from Alcatraz. I mean, sure that's true, but it was strange that they insisted! forcefully! that no one ever got out alive! It's like they have this image to uphold or something.

hoxharding Guest
    My father said a relative of his claimed he escaped from Alcatraz and had a bullet scar on his chest.
    He also said he doubted the story since no one supposedly escaped.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertrose View Post
    I don't think Alcatraz as we know it will be around much longer. There are several, separate movements to have it torn down...the latest was actually on our last ballot, and it came fairly close to passing I believe. That was to tear down all existing (prison) buildings and replace with a "world peace sanctuary."
    State park or not, the buildings will have to be retrofitted soon to comply with state law, and from my reading I don't believe the state has the money or willingness to pony up the (many millions) it would take to retrofit the buildings seismically. I believe next year several of them will be phased out as tourist attractions, as they're now considered unsafe.

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, it's a bit of (admittedly sad) history, and is fabulously interesting to tour.
    On the other, many believe that prisons, in particular, shouldn't be preserved as historic landmarks, simply because they're not necessarily a proud part of our heritage. Alcatraz particularly was known as a place of intense cruelty and severe, inhuman punishment. I'm frankly on the fence about it--but one thing's for sure, if you want to see it in its present form, hurry up...

itsintheeyes Guest
    This is officially my next trip.

Well that stinks Jack. We voted (always do) and there was no mention of it anywhere on our ballots We also get and read all the prevote materials. How odd is that? Unless it was somehow tied to a city or county and not state election. Then we wouldn't be a part of that vote. I guess I should look it up but I'm having trouble with that sort of thing right now.

(Nice pics too Lucy. No, I don't know if that's one of the real heads but someone else may.)

I went to Alcatraz once back in the early 90's. Back then you could just walk right up to the gate and get on the boat, now it's long lines or having to get a appointment date.

The movie "Escape from Alcatraz" with Clint Eastwood was filmed there, and I believe those guys who escaped, made it. NO trace of ANY of the three were ever found. I know bodies can wash out to sea from the bay, but you have to figure at least ONE of the bodies would have washed ashore.

I think the officials at Alcatraz were in denial and trying to save face, that's all.

Deathgoddess Guest
    Okay, me and my Death Hag Co-worker are ready to make the trip! These pics are great, but i am saddened to hear it might be gone soon. I guess i need to move this up on the list of places i MUST see.

Am I right or wrong here? It's my understanding that the waters around Alcatraz are favored by sharks (due to the seal population?). If this is true, that could be why the bodies were never found.

Snudgie Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pogobean View Post
    If and when I go to the USA, that is one place that I'd love to go to..........there have been so many stories, hauntings and theories over the years!

Hell, yeah, and I'll come with you!!

Quote Originally Posted by SheBoss View Post
    Am I right or wrong here? It's my understanding that the waters around Alcatraz are favored by sharks (due to the seal population?). If this is true, that could be why the bodies were never found.
    That's what I've heard, too.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

1karenhb Guest
    I think it's a myth about the sharks. Might be an occasional one but the water is pretty cold. They do a swim every year from Alcatraz to the mainland with hundreds participating and they have never had problems with sharks just the very cold water. I went about 10 years ago in the off season and they were very few people around. I definately didn't let my ex out my sight! There was a woman that day signing her book about spending several years on the rock as a child because her father worked there. Didn't see or hear anything but the place is very damp, dark and creepy feeling.

Forever-27 Guest
    Theyve opened the morgue that was used during the Civil war era until the feds closed the prison down. Its real tiny. Ive been there more times then I can count on 2 hands and even spent the night there. Nothings ever happened out of the ordinary.

There was actually a ballot measure on the San Francisco ballot last February to demolish the entire island and build some sort of world peace center on it. The measure didnt pass. Alcatraz is a tourist trap drawing in millions of dollars for San Francisco tourist industry. Personally the island bores me to tears, maybe because ive been there sum 50 times over the decades.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 04-09-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Thanks for the piccies and stories guys.....very interesting

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Well that stinks Jack. We voted (always do) and there was no mention of it anywhere on our ballots We also get and read all the prevote materials. How odd is that? Unless it was somehow tied to a city or county and not state election. Then we wouldn't be a part of that vote. I guess I should look it up but I'm having trouble with that sort of thing right now.

(Nice pics too Lucy. No, I don't know if that's one of the real heads but someone else may.)
    San Francisco voters only SC. Here you go:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...ddlyEnoughNews

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by 1karenhb View Post
    I think it's a myth about the sharks. Might be an occasional one but the water is pretty cold. They do a swim every year from Alcatraz to the mainland with hundreds participating and they have never had problems with sharks just the very cold water.
    NOT a myth whatsoever!

The waters around San Francisco bay are teaming with great white sharks, which THRIVE in very, very cold water. The Farallon islands, just offshore, are the largest known breeding grounds in the U.S. for great whites.

The annual Alcatraz swim is very closely monitored by rescuers/watchers who follow the swimmers in boats constantly scanning the waters around them. They're brave guys, these swimmers, and a bit foolhardy too, imo.

This area is one place you DON'T want to go swimming...not that anyone really does because No. Calif. water is ice cold...but some always do and we have our obligatory several shark attacks every year, around here and south down to Monterey bay. Surfers and scuba divers are also very much at risk here...

QueenB Guest
    Me and my BF Leggy went last year, its a creepy old place and i got locked into an isolation cell for a minute and it was nasty, pitch black and scared the brown out of me.

The day we went there was an old guy signing copies of his book, apparantly he was an inmate there, wish i had bought a book now..

Leggy bought a DIY knitting thing as the inmates used to knit to pass the time. Knitting in prison - how very camp! Though cant see Capone doing knit one, pearl one .....

There is a yearly triathlon called Escape from Alcatraz , you get on the ferry to the island , and jump off the ferry and swim back to shore , before continuing on with the bike /run - the main concern was the currents and the coldness of the water . I always fancied doing this but ain't a good sea swimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    San Francisco voters only SC. Here you go:

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddly...ddlyEnoughNews
    Thanks Jack, now it makes sense.

So glad it didn't pass too.

1karenhb Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    NOT a myth whatsoever!

The waters around San Francisco bay are teaming with great white sharks, which THRIVE in very, very cold water. The Farallon islands, just offshore, are the largest known breeding grounds in the U.S. for great whites.

The annual Alcatraz swim is very closely monitored by rescuers/watchers who follow the swimmers in boats constantly scanning the waters around them. They're brave guys, these swimmers, and a bit foolhardy too, imo.

This area is one place you DON'T want to go swimming...not that anyone really does because No. Calif. water is ice cold...but some always do and we have our obligatory several shark attacks every year, around here and south down to Monterey bay. Surfers and scuba divers are also very much at risk here...
    Thanks for the info Jack. I stand corrected. I definately won't be swimming there anytime soon!