Thread: Mary Cecilia Rogers Unsolved Murder 1841

SEL2323 Guest

Mary Cecilia Rogers Unsolved Murder 1841

ROGERS, Mary Cecilia, born about 1820; died in Weehawken, New Jersey, 25 July, 1841. She was the daughter of a widow that kept a boardinghouse in Nassau street, and was engaged by John Anderson as a shop-girl in his tobacco-store on Broadway, near Duane street, where young men of fashion bought their cigars and tobacco. No suspicion had ever been attached to her character, and much excitement was manifested when she suddenly disappeared. A week later she reappeared at her accustomed place behind the counter, and in reply to all inquiries said that she had been on a visit to her aunt in the country. Several years afterward she left her home one Sunday morning to visit a relative in another part of the city. She requested her accepted suitor, who boarded with her mother, to come for her in the evening; but, as it rained, he concluded that she would remain over night, and did not call for her. The next day she failed to return, and it was ascertained that she had not visited her relative. Four days later her body was found floating in Hudson river, near Weehawken, with marks that showed beyond doubt that she had been murdered. Every effort was made to determine by whom she had been killed, but without success. A few weeks later, in a thicket on the New Jersey shore, part of her clothing was found, with every evidence that a desperate struggle had taken place there; but these appear-antes were believed, on close inspection, to have been arranged to give it that aspect. Subsequently it was shown that she had been in the habit of meeting a young naval officer secretly, and it was alleged that. she was in his company at the time of her first disappearance. He was able to account for his whereabouts from the time of her leaving home until the finding of her body, and the murder would have been forgotten had not Edgar Allan Poe revived the incident of tile crime in his "Mystery of Marie Roget." With remarkable skill he analyzed the evidence, and showed almost conclusively that tile murder had been accomplished by one familiar with the sea, who had dragged her body to the water and there deposited it. Many persons were suspected of the crime, and, among others, John Anderson, whose last years, he claimed, were haunted by her spirit.

Lita Guest
    Interesting. It sounds like she maybe was going to see somebody when she "disappeared" both times.

Fascinating case! I appreciate your posts on these old and sometimes forgotten cases, Sel! Thank you for posting these. It's fitting to remember victims of crimes, however old, and it's haunting to read about them. You wonder if modern forensics may have helped, but then again, there are countless Cold Cases in modern police work, too.

Scarsguardianstalkr Guest
    i think maybe in this case mordern forensics may have helped alittle

SEL2323 Guest
    No problem - I LOVE history. and I love old murder cases. They are interesting to me, expecially if they are unsolved. I will be posting more soon. I have been watching Haunted History on the History Channel all weekend. I have some STORIES! LOL

The Cigar Girl Mystery: Mary Rogers

Fans of Edgar Allen Poe are probably familiar with his seminal detective story "The Mystery of Marie Roget." But did you know that the title character was actually based on a real woman? The jaw-droppingly beautiful Mary Rogers worked at Anderson's cigar store on Broadway, in New York City's book and newspaper publishing hub. That meant she soon became well-known - in both a biblical and non-biblical sense - to some of New York's most well-connected people. So when the 21-year-old suddenly disappeared from her boarding house in the summer of 1841, powerful people sat up and took notice. Mary's fate didn't become front page news though until three days later, when a group of men strolling along the Hudson River discovered her battered and bruised body floating just off the bank. A group of gawkers quickly gathered around. Here's how one witness described Mary's condition: "...she was laying on the bank, on her back, with a rope tied around her.... Her forehead and face appeared to have been battered and butchered, to a mummy. Her features were scarcely visible, so much violence had been done to her...she presented the most horrible spectacle that eye could see." A massive investigation was launched, but to this day, her killer or killers have never been identified.
    Eventually, it was accepted that Mary died as the result of a botched abortion, and because of her celebrity, the death sparked poems, popular stories and editorials - as well as a storm of public discussion about the changing role of women, and the "declining" sexual mores of the day.
    The killing even led directly to changes in New York State's abortion law. It was not made more easily accessible. It was criminalized.

carebearsluv Guest
    Interesting story, thanks

pvezz Guest
    I googled her; apparently this is her pic?

Quote Originally Posted by pvezz View Post
    I googled her; apparently this is her pic?

Lmao...All I can say is that the defiinition of beauty has changed since the mid-1900s. A LOT!

pvezz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    Lmao...All I can say is that the defiinition of beauty has changed since the mid-1900s. A LOT!

HA! I'm glad I wasn't the only one that thought that!

Old Soul Guest
    I thought from the title it was going to be a 1920s cigar girl lol

STsFirstmate Guest
    Fans of Edgar Allen Poe are probably familiar with his seminal detective story "The Mystery of Marie Roget." But did you know that the title character was actually based on a real woman? The jaw-droppingly beautiful Mary Rogers worked at Anderson's cigar store on Broadway, in New York City's book and newspaper publishing hub. That meant she soon became well-known - in both a biblical and non-biblical sense - to some of New York's most well-connected people. So when the 21-year-old suddenly disappeared from her boarding house in the summer of 1841, powerful people sat up and took notice. Mary's fate didn't become front page news though until three days later, when a group of men strolling along the Hudson River discovered her battered and bruised body floating just off the bank. A group of gawkers quickly gathered around. Here's how one witness described Mary's condition: "...she was laying on the bank, on her back, with a rope tied around her.... Her forehead and face appeared to have been battered and butchered, to a mummy. Her features were scarcely visible, so much violence had been done to her...she presented the most horrible spectacle that eye could see." A massive investigation was launched, but to this day, her killer or killers have never been identified.
    Eventually, it was accepted that Mary died as the result of a botched abortion, and because of her celebrity, the death sparked poems, popular stories and editorials - as well as a storm of public discussion about the changing role of women, and the "declining" sexual mores of the day.
    The killing even led directly to changes in New York State's abortion law. It was not made more easily accessible. It was criminalized.
    Duster,
    I read this book. I also recommend "White City" as well about the Expo and a serial killer right at the turn of the century in Chicago. Very chilling and true.
    I also loved the Alienist and the sequels great period pieces.
    Regards,
    Mary

My_Smiling_Skull Guest
    I love old mysteries like this..... very Marie Celeste

Mary's body was brought ashore near a well-known place called the Sybil's cave in Hoboken, NJ. The cave, famed at the time for its "healthful" spring, and a day-tripping resort for hot, tired New Yorkers from across the Hudson, later fell into disrepair and for many years was filled in and obscured by brush. It was recently restored.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmarella/3016477362/

Here is a detailed account of Mary's death. According to deathbed testimony some years later, she went to a local inn with a "doctor", who performed the abortion. She died of complications, and the innkeeper's sons allegedly then dumped the body in the river and scattered her clothing around.

http://www.njhm.com/maryrogers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    Mary's body was brought ashore near a well-known place called the Sybil's cave in Hoboken, NJ. The cave, famed at the time for its "healthful" spring, and a day-tripping resort for hot, tired New Yorkers from across the Hudson, later fell into disrepair and for many years was filled in and obscured by brush. It was recently restored.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmarella/3016477362/

Here is a detailed account of Mary's death. According to deathbed testimony some years later, she went to a local inn with a "doctor", who performed the abortion. She died of complications, and the innkeeper's sons allegedly then dumped the body in the river and scattered her clothing around.

http://www.njhm.com/maryrogers.htm
    Okay, now that is great info Linnie...I'm still wondering though how her face and head were so disfigured. Just three days in a river wouldn't do that...

Shano Guest
    I just finished reading the book about this not to long ago!! Great read.

Guest Guest
    Fascinating case. I love reading about these old murders too! Thanks Sel.

Quote Originally Posted by STsFirstmate View Post
    Duster,
    I read this book. I also recommend "White City" as well about the Expo and a serial killer right at the turn of the century in Chicago. Very chilling and true.
    I also loved the Alienist and the sequels great period pieces.
    Regards,
    Mary
    I think I know the guy you're talkiung about Nary. He was a doctor wasn't he? I think gas was involvd. And his house/clinic was rigged up especially to get rid of bodies? That was a fascinaitng case - I think he was America's most prolific serial killer, but I can't rememeber his name...

misonbos Guest
    Hello there, I was reading on wikipedia about old murdercases and then after a while I found the case with Mary Rogers. I was caught and wanted to find out more information and down below is what I found. I'm not sure if someone has already posted one/or more of these links? Anyway:

After reading these links my conclusion is that she died during an abortion or she was killed by her boyfriend Donald Payne. Lets see if you agree with me or not, hehe.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/n..._rogers/6.html

http://www.hobokeni.com/blogs/mlauna...er-mary-rogers

http://joebrunoonthemob.wordpress.co...ul-cigar-girl/

Welcome, misonbos!

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out.
    For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39

Oogie Boogie Guest
    Very, very interesting story!

I think I know the guy you're talkiung about Nary. He was a doctor wasn't he? I think gas was involvd. And his house/clinic was rigged up especially to get rid of bodies? That was a fascinaitng case - I think he was America's most prolific serial killer, but I can't rememeber his name...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dvdcoverfacetsmain.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	39510

HH Holmes, America's first serial killer. http://www.hhholmesthefilm.com/
    GOD IS NOT DEAD