Thread: Anthony Minghella - Director of The English Patient

b57hrle Guest

Anthony Minghella - Director of The English Patient

Director Minghella dies aged 54

Minghella won an Oscar for directing The English Patient

British film director Anthony Minghella has died at the age of 54, his agent has said. Minghella, whose films include Truly, Madly, Deeply and Cold Mountain, was chairman of the British Film Institute.
    In 1996, he won an Oscar for directing The English Patient and was also Oscar-nominated for writing the screenplay for 1999's The Talented Mr Ripley.
    He has also directed a TV episode of book The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, due to be screened this Easter.

Date of Birth

6 January 1954, Ryde, Isle of Wight, England, UK

Spouse

Carolyn Choa (? - present) 1 child
    Trade Mark

Frequently works with Jude Law

Trivia

Anthony's Italian parents are famous for their ice cream factory.
    After attending the University of Hull (North Yorkshire/Humberside, England), he briefly worked as a university professor where he started writing music and plays. He won the London Theater Critics Award in 1984 for Most Promising Playwright and in 1986 for Best Play with "Made In Bangkok".
    Appointed a CBE in the 2001 Queen's Birthday Honours List.
    In 1984, the London Theatre Critics named him Most Promising Playwright of the Year.
    Has directed 5 actors to Oscar nominations: Ralph Fiennes, Jude Law, Renée Zellweger, Juliette Binoche and Kristin Scott Thomas. Binoche and Zellwegger won for their supporting turns in The English Patient (1996) and Cold Mountain (2003), respectively.
    Brother of writers Edana Minghella and Dominic Minghella and father of Max Minghella (an actor) and Hannah Minghella (who worked as Production Assistant on her father's film The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)).

Cold Mountain is one of my favorite movies - love it!

The English Patient was good too.

RIP

FloridaDeathHag Guest
    I liked all of his work, it's a sad loss.

Cherry Malotte Guest
    Wow...I'm surprised. Very talented director...I adore The English Patient.

Snudgie Guest
    It's a bad year so far for losing great talented people!

RIP....

Lucy Furr Guest
    The Talented Mr Ripley is one of my favorite movies...TRUE talent like his is hard to come by today.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Did I miss how he died?

b57hrle Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Did I miss how he died?
    When I first posted, there was no cause given, I have since found this...

LONDON â?? Oscar-winning director Anthony Minghella, who turned such literary works as "The English Patient," "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Cold Mountain" into acclaimed movies, died Tuesday of a hemorrhage following surgery. He was 54.

Minghella's publicist, Jonathan Rutter, said the filmmaker died at London's Charing Cross Hospital. He said Minghella was operated on last week for a growth in his neck, "and the operation seemed to have gone well. At 5 a.m. today he had a fatal hemorrhage."

cherryghost Guest
    Loved the Talented Mr Ripley, Inspector Morse was a cracker also!

Mrs F Guest
    I met him once, he was a lovely man. What a shock. Anyone seen his son Max? Quite a hottie.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by b57hrle View Post
    When I first posted, there was no cause given, I have since found this...

LONDON â?? Oscar-winning director Anthony Minghella, who turned such literary works as "The English Patient," "The Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Cold Mountain" into acclaimed movies, died Tuesday of a hemorrhage following surgery. He was 54.

Minghella's publicist, Jonathan Rutter, said the filmmaker died at London's Charing Cross Hospital. He said Minghella was operated on last week for a growth in his neck, "and the operation seemed to have gone well. At 5 a.m. today he had a fatal hemorrhage."
    Oh no that's so sad. What a way to go.

RaRaRamona Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs F View Post
    I met him once, he was a lovely man. What a shock. Anyone seen his son Max? Quite a hottie.

Wow right you are.

Poor kid

Mrs F Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by RaRaRamona View Post
    Wow right you are.

Poor kid

He's just started acting. He's pretty good. Such a loss for him, his Mum and sister.

Giada Guest
    I thought I'd revive the thread because it's Awards Season. Minghella and Pollack worked together as producer's on the film The Reader with Kate Winslet who won two GG's and is up for a BAFTA.