Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Janis Joplin

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    There's a great picture of her sitting on top of it in front of the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco - she's wearing a fur coat of course!
    i have this shot on a blanket, i love janis!!!~ i read that the makers of southern comfort gave her the car, since she drank so much of their product, is this true?~

Actually, it was a crappy fur coat. She called it the best scam ever pulled!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

I love Janis. I keep thinking what she'd be doing today if alive. She's so connected to the whole 60s culture that it's difficult to visualize her out of that time frame.

RubySlippers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SinKittyVixen View Post
    Jim Morrison meets Janis Joplin.

Jim sat down next to Janis and threw his arm around her. He was drinking Scotch. Jim asked Janis about herself, and she blurted a few phrases about her troubled high school years in Texas, where she had been mocked and shunned because her family wasn??t well off. After an hour, and after many more drinks and some pills, just as Janis was laughing a little too raucously at something Jim had said, he grabbed her by her hair and suddenly forced her face down into his crotch.

It was an awful moment. People near them backed off. Furious at this humiliation, Janis hit Jim in the face and walked away, calling him an asshole over her shoulder.

??I know I??m an asshole,? he said to her back.

Later, as she was leaving, an even drunker Jim stopped her car in the driveway and tried to speak to her. Witnesses said she rolled down her window and, when Jim bent down to apologize, she smashed her Southern Comfort bottle over his head before driving off, cursing him.
    (From blender.com)

I also read that he thought highly of her after this, and wanted to see her again. She refused.
    ~SinKitty
    Jimmy,Jimmy, Jimmy. I love him to death but I am TOTALLY not surprised he would do something like that.
    Men are pigs...sometimes.
    I mean most of the time...
    I mean...nevermind.

So...I hope this isn't awful, but do you think she was fond of the ladies too? Just curious. I mean, we can all theorize...I know she sang about men but she was so young...Is there anything out there worth anything that might verify or discredit the idea?

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinfrk View Post
    Hey gang...let's take a moment or two to remember the original Queen of rock and roll. We still miss you after 37 years.
    Amen.

"...because, you know, you can say, oh man, you can cry about the other 364, man, but youre gonna lose that one day, man, and thats all youve got. you gotta call that
    , man. thats what it is, man. if you got it today you dont want it tomorrow, man, cause you dont need it, cause as a matter of fact, as we discovered in the train, tomorrow never happens, m
    Ts all the same fucking day, man." Ball and Chain

http://www.festivalexpress.com/... a GREAT movie

Yes, Ruby..Janis didn't limit herself to the menfolk. She loved who she loved and didn't let gender get in the way. She is missed!

Shes Not There Guest
    I love and miss her as well. I want to wear a boa in my hair!!!!!!!! If anyone comes to TX to visit her museum in Port Arthur~let me know. We can also visit the Funeral Museum, I have't been yet.

7047 Franklin Avenue, Hollywood - previously the Landmark Motor Hotel (now called the Highland Gardens Hotel), room 105: where Janis Joplin accidentally overdosed on heroin in October of 1970.
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:19 AM.

Noelle Page Guest
    Brilliant brilliant brilliant brilliant talent. Seemed kind, and highly intelligent too. Wish I could hop in a time machine and meet her.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    Thank you guys for the insight. Thanks, too for not attacking me on this one. I am finally understanding. All this time I just thought she was some woman who didn't sing very well and died. I am definitely going to give her another listen!
    Trust me, I feel the same way about Amy Winehouse. (who I am afraid may have a few things in common with Janis)

knothere Guest
    Name:  jan1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  3.2 KB Name:  jan2.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  6.2 KB Name:  jan3.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  3.5 KB

knothere Guest
    ya thats her car

knothere Guest
    i dont see where ppl say shes ugly

Jazbabee Guest
    I don't like to call anyone ugly.....I have always said that she looked rather mannish

GODDESS6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    Name:  jan1.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  3.2 KB Name:  jan2.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  6.2 KB Name:  jan3.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  3.5 KB
    cool pic of her car~

seberly Guest
    me and my wife stayed in room 105 at highland gardens. I was somewhat surprised at the size of the room a lot larger than I had thought it was also nicer that I envisioned. I thought it would be kinda eerie but I actually got a really cool vibe from the room. Supposedly the hotel is haunted by her, but I didn't see any ghosts.

Noelle Page Guest
    Do they make a big thing of it being "Janis's room"?

panda Guest
    I love Janis........."One Good Man" could listen to it over & over & over......and yes...I have many times! There's lots of her stuff at the rock & roll hall of fame in Cleveland.
    Last edited by panda; 12-30-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Ive always loved Janis's music. Favoite song has always been ball and Chain

Heres a shot of the Janis Joplin display at the Hard Rock Cafe in San Francisco. The cape that hangs on the wall is the cape thats on the Pearl album cover draped over the sofa Janis is on.

Here is Laura Joplin, Janis's sister signing my book for me " Love, Janis "

Last edited by Forever-27; 12-30-2007 at 08:37 AM.

leevancleef Guest
    Janis is one of the few artist that makes my spine shiver with some of her songs. Her singing in "A woman left lonely" blows me away.

Forever-27 Guest
    Here is the only obit for Janis .... the newspaper artical that came out Oct 5th 1970. At her request Janis was cremated so there was no funeral.

Noelle Page Guest
    Ah, bless Janis......truly a dear sweet intelligent soul.

Seriously---I have never read a single story about Janis being a shit about anything, ever. Messed up, yes, but never unkind. Did I miss something?
    Last edited by Noelle Page; 12-31-2007 at 07:59 AM.

Forever-27 Guest
    No, Janis was the kind of person you could just walk up to and start talking with. They dont make clebs like her anymore

TheMysterian Guest

Janis Joplin

Quote Originally Posted by erin View Post
    i know i'll get alot of sh*t for this, but i think she went when she was supposed to. her early end made her the legend she is today. i feel that is true for many who have passed at an early age and went on to become icons. can you say Marilyn?
    How true! I think that is what happened to Morrison,Joplin and Hendrix!

MorbidMolly Guest
    I don`t know.....I think Janis could have had a very long career....there is no one that even comes close to sounding like her, let alone her absolute power on stage.....I`d like to think that if she had lived, she would have found her prince charming, had a couple of little Janis`s and been rocking into her twilight, with her granbabies on her knees....just how I picture it....

Forever-27 Guest
    Richard Bell who was Janis's piano player for her Full Tilt Boogie Band also died this year. Just a footnote. Slowly Janis's band will be together again ....

The Full Tilt Boogie Band was Janis's band who recorded her Pearl album

Happy Birthday, Janis!

Hey Folks, as the resident Joplinfrk I feel it is my duty to remind everyone that today would have been her 65th birthday.

Pass the Southern Comfort...

PvN73 Guest
    Cheers to you Janis!

Have you decided which book to get next, Pan? It was pretty damned gossipy!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Hard to believe that much time has gone by, and she would be 65.

Happy Birthday to one of the ladies with the best voices ever.

Nobody sang like her.

PvN73 Guest
    Have you decided which book to get next, Pan? It was pretty damned gossipy!
    Oh I might get that one tomorrow then. Sounds like it was a good one!!! I know that they are currently playing around the traps and they showed on the TV some of the rehersals - it was hilarious at how angry she was cause there was no air con - Chrissy stormed out! heee.

Hope all is good with you Jop

That Chrissy! I'm doing quite well, Pan..thanks for the well wishes.

Woohoo!! Pan get your ass back over to Englebert and respond now!!!!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Much Love Jop!!!!
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another.

Very hot reverse fag sex at you hon!!!!

PvN73 Guest
    That Chrissy! I'm doing quite well, Pan..thanks for the well wishes.
    Glad to hear you are doing well! Let me know if there is anything from Aust that you would like. If I could I would send you some lovely weather! It is rockin here

Happy Birthday Janis, where-ever you are!

Honestly, no disrespect meant. Been a fan of yours from first viewing and mean nothing but 100% uncut unadulturatred love. For real, honey, Who loves ya baby?!

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing well! Let me know if there is anything from Aust that you would like. If I could I would send you some lovely weather! It is rockin here

Happy Birthday Janis, where-ever you are!
    How about some chocolate covered Macadamia nuts I send them to my friend in NY all the time. They have Koala's on the box!???

Speedy recovering joplinfrk!

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    How about some chocolate covered Macadamia nuts I send them to my friend in NY all the time. They have Koala's on the box!???

Speedy recovering joplinfrk!
    Um you can send them to me if you like - heee right to Melb with those!! heee. I always send TimTams to my friend in Canada...

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Cheers Janis!

xenaswolf Guest
    I knew there was a reason I got shitfaced last night! Cheers Janis! ( Now someone please pass the Aleve...)

Jop glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. I was getting worried!

You do, Ichabodious! <blushing>

Jazbabee Guest
    Well now, let's speculate. If Janis were still with us today, would she be in retirement, or still rockin ??? I say that she would be a waaaaaay cool 65 year old still rockin out !!!

Mamma Guest
    Hey Folks, as the resident Joplinfrk I feel it is my duty to remind everyone that today would have been her 65th birthday.

Pass the Southern Comfort...
    Amen honey! I'll have shot straight up for Janis. Nevermind the glass, just the pass the bottle 'round .

As Janis would say, "not bad for a bunch of beatnicks!".

Get it while you can....

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    Played Me and Bobby McGee for the kids on the way home tonight. If anybody has some spare So-Co, pass a shot or two my way. I could tear through a bottle of that in my younger days.

Happy Birthday, Janis! At 65, she'd still be rockin' and showing the younger chicks how it's done.

crimson and clover Guest
    They really don't make em like this anymore. Happy B-day Janis! Wish you were here

Forever-27 Guest
    Tonight the drinks are on Pearl
    Last edited by Forever-27; 01-19-2008 at 11:50 PM.

50. 01-20-2008, 01:13 AM
    Reason
    Another misplaced Manson rant.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Um you can send them to me if you like - heee right to Melb with those!! heee. I always send TimTams to my friend in Canada...

We have to keep our lovely friends covered in chocolate I say! I get the Chocolate Macadamia nuts from Town Hall Woolworths in Sydney, but I was born near where they are now a thriving industry. I love em! Seriously If you want some Ill get em for ye!