Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Janis Joplin

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    We have to keep our lovely friends covered in chocolate I say! I get the Chocolate Macadamia nuts from Town Hall Woolworths in Sydney, but I was born near where they are now a thriving industry. I love em! Seriously If you want some Ill get em for ye!

your a doll cherry ghost! I will get my lazy arse to safeway (woolworths) and get them. what brand are the good ones though? those Patons ones?

Happy Birthday Jop

Janis died from an accidental overdose of heroin. No suicide. No murder. Just an accident. Her tolerance was low and the "shit" was pure. She was loving life and would have NEVER cut out on a good time so early. She was too responsible; she new too many people would have been out of a job.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Forever-27 Guest
    She didnt know it but she took in a dose of 98% pure heroine. She was not a drug addict. Her addiction was Southern Comfort

Shes Not There Guest
    Happy B-Day Janis!!!

Check this out ya'll:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=7.3.1

PvN73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    She didnt know it but she took in a dose of 98% pure heroine. She was not a drug addict. Her addiction was Southern Comfort
    Wasnt there numerous deaths because of that batch of heroin?
    Last edited by PvN73; 01-21-2008 at 01:21 AM.

knothere Guest
    wonder wats goin on in her suit the night she died n was any one in it
    the hotel should be tellin us this or someone

Forever-27 Guest
    Yea some guy named George sold her a bad batch. Lots of his buyers also died from his smack. The hotel front desk clerk was the last one to see her alive when she went downstairs to get change for cigarettes. The hotel was the landmark in Los Angeles but today its called The Hollywood gardens

If your anywhere by Port Arthor,Texas check out childhood her home. Its offically a Texas state landmark.

http://www.southeasttexaslive.com/si...d=512588&rfi=6

Quote Originally Posted by PvN73 View Post
    Wasnt there numerous deaths because of that batch of heroin?
    It said on the Final 24 episode that we just saw about her there were eight deaths in that area confirmed from it. There may be more.

Forever-27 Guest
    Tickets just went on sale for the play Love, janis for Philadelphia and Houston. Go see it. I highly recomend it. I saw it when it ran in San Francisco and it was great.

In answer to your question, Janis was dogged on in school. She had a horrible zit problem and she in the eyes of boys never developed as a female should. She had a love/hate relationship with Port Arthor , Texas , her childhood town. On the interview with Dick cavett she said the best thing about Texas was being able to leave. As for her death, the day of the Oct 5th she was supposed to lay down the vocal tracks for Buried Alive in the Blues for her upcoming album, Pearl and go to lunch with Mama Cass. as a result the vocals for the song was never done and it was released as a instrumental instead. What slays me is seeing autographed Pearl albums on ebay. People are so stupid sometimes. Pearl was released long after Janis was dead and gone. Janis was very punctual. She was never late. She died overnight of Oct 3rd into the 4th. She fell half off the hotel bed and banged the nightstand as she fell busting her lip open even. Once news broke that Janis was dead, her " friends " raided her home in Larkspur, Ca just walking out with whatever they could carry. Due to stipulations in her will, she wanted no funeral , only to be cremated. Her folks couldnt even bring her back to Texas.

Hollywood has never liked Janis. There are movies about other dead rock stars yet Janis goes ignored. " Janis: The way she Was " came out as a film in 1975 I believe but shortly after going to VHS its gone long out of print. Its never been released on dvd. Well legally that is, you can find boots of it on ebay tho.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 01-21-2008 at 07:02 PM.

Tickets just went on sale for the play Love, janis for Philadelphia and Houston. Go see it. I highly recomend it. I saw it when it ran in San Francisco and it was great.

In answer to your question, Janis was dogged on in school. She had a horrible zit problem and she in the eyes of boys never developed as a female should. She had a love/hate relationship with Port Arthor , Texas , her childhood town. On the interview with Dick cavett she said the best thing about Texas was being able to leave. As for her death, the day of the Oct 5th she was supposed to lay down the vocal tracks for Buried Alive in the Blues for her upcoming album, Pearl and go to lunch with Mama Cass. as a result the vocals for the song was never done and it was released as a instrumental instead. What slays me is seeing autographed Pearl albums on ebay. People are so stupid sometimes. Pearl was released long after Janis was dead and gone. Janis was very punctual. She was never late. She died overnight of Oct 3rd into the 4th. She fell half off the hotel bed and banged the nightstand as she fell busting her lip open even. Once news broke that Janis was dead, her " friends " raided her home in Larkspur, Ca just walking out with whatever they could carry. Due to stipulations in her will, she wanted no funeral , only to be cremated. Her folks couldnt even bring her back to Texas.

Hollywood has never liked Janis. There are movies about other dead rock stars yet Janis goes ignored. " Janis: The way she Was " came out as a film in 1975 I believe but shortly after going to VHS its gone long out of print. Its never been released on dvd. Well legally that is, you can find boots of it on ebay tho.
    Lots of great stuff in your post there - thanks! I have that Janis video you speak of and it is pretty good. Janis was apparently pretty butch in person - which was what I got after seeing this video. It's pretty good tho - losts of concert footage, interviews, and backstage stuff. You get to see quite a bit of the "real" Janis in it.

And yes, it is out of print. I lucked out and got mine (brand new) for $10 at a record store about 10 or so years ago.

And I'm not letting go of it until it finally gets put out on DVD - and hopefully with extras included on it!

And I'm not letting go of it until it finally gets put out on DVD - and hopefully with extras included on it!
    Hopefully this will happen sooner than later. I've never seen that one.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Hopefully this will happen sooner than later. I've never seen that one.
    It's actually called "Janis". I've seen them on Amazon for $29 and up - in case anyone is interested. The cover shows her singing into a microphone.

Thanks

Are they on VHS or have they been transferred to DVD?

cherryghost Guest
    I still think Janis would have made a great middle aged Dive, artist, singer, she was so old anyway at 27 so she could have made the crisis easy for the rest of us!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 01-22-2008 at 03:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    Thanks

Are they on VHS or have they been transferred to DVD?
    No, it's only on VHS - not on DVD yet!

Forever-27 Guest
    dvd is aviable only on bootlegs. People have burned copies of it to dvd from VHS and are reselling it in dvd format. Overseas its all over the place. Unfortunately just not in the states. Its a good film, showing her at tv shows, concert footage, even her high school reunion when she went back to Port Arthor for the first time in 10 years.

Theres been a few ideas kicked around. Pink was going to be Janis in one of the movie projects, then amy whatshername .... then Courney Love but they couldnt get the funding so they have all fallen apart. As a rule films about dead rock stars, while some being excellent, dont do well at the box office. The Janis irony has always facinated me. At the very top of her game she managed to lose it all. Pearl went to #1 on the pop charts when it came out in Janurary 1971. A dammed shame Janis didnt live to see this

I couldnt care less if she was a butchy lesbian or bisexual. I dont base that into judgeing anybody. Ive always loved Janis's work and always will. Pearl is her very best album. If you keep an eye out on ebay youll see the dummies selling the Greatest Hits and Pearl from time. Both autographed. For big money. The fake sigs not only rips off unknowing people but also devalues the record even more. 99% of autographs on ebay are fake. So I never buy anything with autographs from ebay.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 01-22-2008 at 08:46 AM.

Glamrock Princess Guest
    Ok, the first time I heard Janis properly was when a ex bf of mine was playing Ball and chain, I was completely blown away, she had a amazing voice. She stirs me emotionally.

A true star.
    Last edited by Glamrock Princess; 01-22-2008 at 08:54 AM. Reason: missed a word out

Mamma Guest
    *Sigh*. Just goes to show you what women find attractive as a female, and what men find attractive in a female, are two totally different worlds.

What show was it when Janis was on stage wearing the designer mini dress and wedge heeled sling back shoes? Her hair was down, not an ounce of make up I don't think, and she just belted out some tunes that were U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E. And I don't use the word "Unbelievable" often because it's so over rated. Anyway, I've never seen her look better.

She fell half off the hotel bed and banged the nightstand as she fell busting her lip open even.
    Forever, thanks for brining this up. I've heard the tall tale that Janis did not die conclusively of an overdose, but rather head trauma combined when she passed out and hit the bedside table .

Forever-27 Guest
    The show was either Monetrey Pops or maybe Festival Express. Both are great. Ive tried over the years to reach Ike Turner and through his management to get him to allow the tapes of Janis with Tina Turner to be realeased. To no avail. Ike put my requests on ignore until he died. Janis played a show in New York in December of 1969 with The Ike and Tina Turner Review at madison Square garden and so far its never been released. Not even in bootlegs.

Its offically listed on Janis's death certificate as narcotic overdose as her reason for death. I never knew there was any idea that any blunt trama to her head killed her but maybe so. Her arms had fresh tracks showing heroine use just hours prior.

Janis onstage with Tina Turner

Mamma Guest
    Great photo! Women on stage kick ass. Wish I could! I can't sing worth a damn, and I'd probably get awful stage fright in front of all the millions anyway!

21. 01-22-2008, 10:23 AM

Forever-27 Guest
    Janis liked to be the center of attention. She thrived on it. However she did say she makes love to 10000 people a night but she goes home alone

The pic your're thinking of is from the Newport Jazz Festival in 1968. The one where she's playing the maracas? She was STUNNING in that picture.

I agree with you, Forever..I've been in touch with Michael Joplin and he told me to stay away from autographs on ebay. Her signature was too easy to forge. I remember seeing an autographed picture of Janis in a store in Universal City..great pic except for the fact that the copyright was 1972. Things that make you go hmmmm...?

Forever-27 Guest
    I got duped when I bought a Stevie Nicks autograph off ebay and went to show it to a few people at work. One of the girls at work told me its fake. She met Stevie and showed me the real thing. Thats where I got the advise never to buy autographs from ebay. The pic was steller, Stevie in a sequened dress on stage, but the signature was a copy. Not Real

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Just a quick observation: I was listening to the 70's station on Syrius yesterday, and all of a sudden there was Janis, singing "Me and Bobby McGee"...which I hadn't heard for probably 2 decades.

Was there EVER a more sublime pairing of singer (Joplin) and songwriter (Kristofferson) ??? I dropped everything I was doing and just stared at the radio in awe...I mean really, it just doesn't get any better than that.

I believe she recorded it just prior to her death. What an AMAZING legacy, it literally gave me goosebumps. Those really WERE the days...

Again, just thoughts and ruminations...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Just a quick observation: I was listening to the 70's station on Syrius yesterday, and all of a sudden there was Janis, singing "Me and Bobby McGee"...which I hadn't heard for probably 2 decades.
    Dang Jack - how can ONE person get away without hearing that one song for 20 years? It's practically the ONLY Janis song I ever hear on the radio that gets played!

And because of that, I either change the radio station or skip to the next song on the CD - when it comes on.

I'd love to hear her "Down on Me" played on the radio - at least once!

Forever-27 Guest
    Ive heard Down on Me played on Classic Vinyl .... Sirius Radio. Same with Ball and Chain.

I came across a Rolling Stone interview from 1968 (posted on Cass Elliot official website) in which Mama Cass was asked what records she listens to. She mentions liking Cream and Hendrix, but that she's not into the music of Janis Joplin and doesn't understand it!! Strange comment to make as she talked about Janis being the "star" of Monterey and the "wow" expression after 'Ball and Chain'!! She seemed pretty into her then! Maybe she became jealous of her success after Monterey!!
    Last edited by Forever-27; 01-26-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Noelle Page Guest
    Ive heard Down on Me played on Classic Vinyl .... Sirius Radio. Same with Ball and Chain.

Hey I came across a Rolling Stone interview from 1968 (posted on Cass Elliot official website) in which Mama Cass was asked what records she listens to. She mentions liking Cream and Hendrix, but that she's not into the music of Janis Joplin and doesn't understand it!! Strange comment to make as she talked about Janis being the "star" of Monterey and the "wow" expression after 'Ball and Chain'!! She seemed pretty into her then! Maybe she became jealous of her success after Monterey!!
    Really! Is that true? Haveta read that. Maybe the "wow" was more like, "wow, I can't believe people are digging this shit." Yeah, jealousy could be it. "Not understanding" something is sort of a passive-aggressive comment to make. Oh well, love em both.

Well, I'm of those still not willing to pay to listen to the radio, so I'm just stuck with classic rock stations that play the same 20 songs over and over again.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Dang Jack - how can ONE person get away without hearing that one song for 20 years? It's practically the ONLY Janis song I ever hear on the radio that gets played!

And because of that, I either change the radio station or skip to the next song on the CD - when it comes on.

I'd love to hear her "Down on Me" played on the radio - at least once!
    Maybe that's why it hit me so hard, hadn't heard it in SO long...I don't know WHY I hadn't heard it the last 20 years, interestingly enough SF radio stations seem to shy away from that era of music these days, it's getting difficult to hear anything recorded prior to 1990 on basic radio anymore

My dad saw Janice perform in the 60s and even took photos which are now mine since he died. My dad said she closed the show with Loves like a ball and chain and she brought the roof down she was so intence. Could you imagine the kind of music she would have put out now if she lived. She was just phenomenal although my mom goes into fits of pissyness when ever I crank her up she thinks Janice sounds like a cat in heat lol but then she also thinks George Jones hung the moon (yuck) ; )

I became a fan of Janis when I watched her singing on Ed Sullivan years Best Of shows VH1 used to show! I was blown away by her and her voice, shes amazing! I've got all her albums and wished she had lived, maybe she would be still singing! Her voice gives me chills all over.

Nobody sings the blues like Janis..NOBODY. You are missed, my friend.

cherryghost Guest
    I fell in love with a Naval commander playing pool while listening to;

'take another piece of my heart' OMG It took me years to get over the song ,not the "Professional Killer"

Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    Well, I'm of those still not willing to pay to listen to the radio, so I'm just stuck with classic rock stations that play the same 20 songs over and over again.
    If you have DirecTV, you can hear some of her lesser known stuff on the Deep Tracks station.

I have an uncle in the music biz, and he promoted/booked a Janis show around 1968. He told me after she finished her set, she came backstage, took off her panties, threw them in a corner, and started drinking her Southern Comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura1020 View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but could someone please tell me what made Janis so wonderful? For lack of a better phrase, I just don't "get" it. Now before everyone starts bashing me, I am in no way criticizing or saying that Janis didn't deserve her fame. I'm not bad mouthing her. It's an honest question. I'd just like to understand so that I can appreciate her, as well. I know I am missing something here, and I hope you guys can help me find it.
    i hear where you're coming from. to make such a big deal about an icon who gave example to young people that its glamourous to shoot heroin, do drugs, etc. is no one to be so lauded. there are so many other unsung heroes who don't have the privilege of public fame that are examples of accomplishing goals without this dysfunction. if anything, i would put a sign under her haggard looking picture and write 'don't let this happen to you' lmao voice? it was a screech!
    pull the string!

Noelle Page Guest
    Laura, I'll give it a shot. I understand, because I was a child when Janis was alive and she frightened me then. Her looks, her voice...

But as an adult, I came to appreciate her artistry....she expresses longing and pain, in a deeply authentic way. There's no cynicism or condescension about Janis, she lays herself bare. Then, when you read about her personal insecurities and see old interviews where her sincerity comes across, it resonates even more. And her voice can be harsh, but also sweet and subtle. And she had great style, a sense of humor, and could dance. So there you have it.

Forever-27 Guest
    Janis broke new ground for female rock stars. She was the main reason people would want to see Big Brother and the Holding Company. After she was gone Big Brother continued but they lacked her contribution to the band. Cheap Thrills by Big Brother and the Holding Company is arguably the bands very best album. Why ? Because Janis and the band truly was at their peaks with that album. Janis knew what she had and knew what direction she could better herself in and she went for it. With " I Got Dem Old Kosmic Blues Again Mama ". But still she wanted better. She took her Kosmic Blues band to Woodstock. Now that she hearded that band SHE was in charge of concert scheduling, how the band got paid and how she wanted the music to sound. But again she wanted better. The band couldnt do it for her anymore. So she got a new band lineup and completed most of the Pearl album until her destiny set in on October 4th 1970 and she self destructed. At the time it was different for a woman to be in total control of a bands very move. Pearl in my humble opinion is her very best work. I still jam that record from time to time. It took me a long time to actually enjoy her music. Raspy voice, screaming and all but she was a true pioenner of music. I miss her. If you dont believe she was a very talented person who deserves icon status, you dont know music.

The idea was to retire after the Pearl album. She wanted to open a biker bar somewhere in Larkspur California

Mamma Guest
    Although only loosely based on Janis, I'm watching The Rose right now. I read through this thread over the weekend, and got the urge to buy the cd. I had forgotten what a fabulous movie this is if you are into live music. Bette is at her best in this film. And it's a nice change to hear live stage music, and not modern day lip-synching and techno-crap added during these so called *live performances*. Good stuff! Those were the days. I like Midnight in Memphis the best.

Noelle Page Guest
    Ugh, I hate Bette in that film. Sorry, she was just not a rocker like Janis.

There's a great documentary out there, I think it's called, uh, "Janis." Cant find on DVD but saw on TV, it was amazing. It ended with the most incredible footage of Janis inviting people up on stage to dance with her....all these different 60s types, hippies, mods, squares....it was just a wonder to behold.

spoiledkitty Guest
    I love Janis, Her song summertime was like the sit back kick off your shoes and get tore up song for me before I had kiddies(Now I save it for when the kiddies go to grandma's, LOL)

Mamma Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Ugh, I hate Bette in that film. Sorry, she was just not a rocker like Janis.

There's a great documentary out there, I think it's called, uh, "Janis." Cant find on DVD but saw on TV, it was amazing. It ended with the most incredible footage of Janis inviting people up on stage to dance with her....all these different 60s types, hippies, mods, squares....it was just a wonder to behold.
    No one could come close to that, ever. Did anyone catch the American Idol auditions last night? I don't recall the song, but there was a girl on the show trying soooo hard to be a Janis. I thought she sucked. So did the judges. And she was shocked to hear such a thing! I wanted to say, "Aw honey, don't you get it? You could never come close to Janis, on American Idol no less! Give t up girl!"

Haha, Rose is in the drag bar now, and one of the queens is signing "I've written a letter to daddy," all dolled up in that freaky Bette Davis outfit. He sounds exactly like Davis in the film Whatever happened To Baby Jane. Freakiness.

Noelle Page Guest
    Yeah, see, that vaudeville stuff in the movie was too Bette-y and not Janis-y, imo. To me, a movie about Janis would have to capture that 60s vibe the way "The Doors" did.

I saw American Idol last night

The girl was trying to do Cry baby it was so bad! The only person ive ever seen do Janice really well is a singer named Serenity check her out on youtube singing ball and chain. I saw Melissa Etheridge in concert a few years ago and she butchered down on me and summertime.

Janice is a very hard person to do and very few can

Quote Originally Posted by Opeth32 View Post
    I saw Melissa Etheridge in concert a few years ago and she butchered down on me and summertime.
    I have to agree and also say that anytime I've ever heard Melissa sing a Janis song, I've had to cringe. She sounds NOTHING like her. While I'm also NOT a fan of Melissa, sorry - but Melissa should stick to her own tunes and not mess with the greats.

Janis was a great blues singer, and could sing the blues - altho there are a few others who can sing the blues as well (and even better in their own way) - Billie Holiday, Aretha Franklin, as well as a few others.

Mamma Guest
    altho there are a few others who can sing the blues as well (and even better in their own way
    Ah! That's the way I was looking to say it. "In their own way". Yeah, it's fairly obvious when a performer wants to impersonate the sound of Janis. I don't care how long they've been praticing, or how other people have lied to them and told them they sound good (like AI), they can't touch the Joplin sound with a 10 foot pole.

Is Serenity the kid who performed on that televisied talent show? Yeah, she's got a big voice for a little girl. That's her appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma View Post
    Ah! That's the way I was looking to say it. "In their own way". Yeah, it's fairly obvious when a performer wants to impersonate the sound of Janis. I don't care how long they've been praticing, or how other people have lied to them and told them they sound good (like AI), they can't touch the Joplin sound with a 10 foot pole.

Is Serenity the kid who performed on that televisied talent show? Yeah, she's got a big voice for a little girl. That's her appeal.
    Hey Mamma - what's up with that avatar? Care to elaborate?

49. 02-01-2008, 07:13 PM

TheLazenby Guest
    I'm a huge Janis fan, and I'll admit it... even though "The Rose" wasn't as close to life as it could've been (changing her death to something huge for the sake of drama was kinda cheesy), that's one of the only times I almost cried watching a movie.

I consider Janis to be one of only three women whose voices truly impress me... I just heard "Bobby McGee" on the radio in school today and it made my day. (In case anyone's wondering, the other two are a girl I know from high school and a Canadian singer named Stevie Vallance. But I digress. :-))

lisalouver Guest
    For some reason, everytime I hear Bobby McGee, I just love to sing this part of the song as loud as I can, much to the chagrin of whomever is near me at the time

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna,
    I's playing soft while Bobby sang the blues.
    Windshield wipers slapping time, I was
    holding Bobbyâ??s hand in mine,
    We sang every song that driver knew

There was no one like her and never will be.

An awesome singer and a real loss when she passed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLazenby View Post
    I'm a huge Janis fan, and I'll admit it... even though "The Rose" wasn't as close to life as it could've been (changing her death to something huge for the sake of drama was kinda cheesy), that's one of the only times I almost cried watching a movie.
    Actually The Rose was NOT about Janis Joplin, just a character "like" Janis. I just got finished reading the novel to the movie, and even tho it is a fictional movie (and book!), apparently in the book, it says something about The Rose and Janis as being "friends" and having some photos taken together - but keep in mind, this was just part of the story in the book, and not a reality!

If you ever get a chance to read to book to the movie, I highly suggest it - since it answers a lot of questions about the movie - certain characters and such. Like the girl The Rose was making out with in the bathroom - there's a story behind her, and the book goes into it.
    Last edited by Aries65; 03-12-2008 at 05:32 AM.