Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Janis Joplin

seberly Guest
    The song Half Moon was written by John & Johanna Hall. John was a member of the group Orleans and wrote the mega hit "Still The One" and "Dance With Me" with his wife. Orleans recorded "Half Moon" on their debut album in 1973. John was with Orleans thru 2006 when he was elected to the U.S. Congress..

Ok now for the photos for anyone who's interested me and my wife stayed at the Highland Gardens room 105 in January 2007.

Kind of a strange setup. It's almost like it's a walk in closet/changing room/bathroom. The actual bathroom is quite small, but the whole area is a pretty good size.

This is the closet/changing area. On the left and right is all closet space. The door to the left leads to the bedroom area.

Not much to say.. Beds. Janis would've been found on the floor between the wall and bed.

Janis would 've been found deceased in this area.

seberly Guest

I was a bit surprised to see a fairly nice kitchen.

entrance to the kitchen. On the other side of the kitchen is a dining room table that looks out onto Higland Blvd. I loved sitting there at night on the computer and looking out the window. If you were there long enough you'd see Scott pull up showing people the hotel. Anyways the dining table is in the same room as the beds.

What a shame that it's changed so much that the "essence" of Janis is all but disappeared from there now.

Noelle Page Guest
    Hey Seberly, nice post--Some very cool facts about the Orleans guy (I love "Half Moon," had no idea of its author)....PLUS pix! Well done, Junior! ;-)

PS, did you feel any vibes?

seberly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Hey Seberly, nice post--Some very cool facts about the Orleans guy (I love "Half Moon," had no idea of its author)....PLUS pix! Well done, Junior! ;-)

PS, did you feel any vibes?
    Actually, yes. I wasn't sure what to expect and I thought it might be a bit creepy but I felt a really cool vibe. To me at least I felt happiness and life as opposed to death. Supposedly the hotel is haunted with her ghost but didn't see any ghosts.

Forever-27 Guest
    When the original Landmark Hotel was sold thereby changing names by way of new ownership the place was completely remodeled. Sometime in the mid 80s I think ... I read that somewhere. If its true I doubt much of the room is as it was when janis died in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    When the original Landmark Hotel was sold thereby changing names by way of new ownership the place was completely remodeled. Sometime in the mid 80s I think ... I read that somewhere. If its true I doubt much of the room is as it was when janis died in it.
    I saw an old picture of the room somewhere, and no, the room doesn't look at all like the new one!

Forever-27 Guest
    Aries, its bad for business when a major celeb dies in your hotel. So they had to uphold the image of a nice wholesome family atmosphere LOL ... which included changing the name from The Landmark Hotel to the Highland Gardens

Aries, its bad for business when a major celeb dies in your hotel. So they had to uphold the image of a nice wholesome family atmosphere LOL ... which included changing the name from The Landmark Hotel to the Highland Gardens
    You figure it would be the opposite tho - since look at all the people who flock to the hotel rooms that the famous have died in...

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by seberly View Post
    The song Half Moon was written by John & Johanna Hall. John was a member of the group Orleans and wrote the mega hit "Still The One" and "Dance With Me" with his wife. Orleans recorded "Half Moon" on their debut album in 1973. John was with Orleans thru 2006 when he was elected to the U.S. Congress..

Ok now for the photos for anyone who's interested me and my wife stayed at the Highland Gardens room 105 in January 2007.

Kind of a strange setup. It's almost like it's a walk in closet/changing room/bathroom. The actual bathroom is quite small, but the whole area is a pretty good size.

This is the closet/changing area. On the left and right is all closet space. The door to the left leads to the bedroom area.

Not much to say.. Beds. Janis would've been found on the floor between the wall and bed.

Janis would 've been found deceased in this area.
    You know, im no ghost expert. but...you can a little orb in the pictures. You never know, maybe she just wanted to make sure and get in the pic.

I am a huge Janis fan. And like everyone else on here, I agree with you, there was and never will be a singer like her. You could actually FEEL what she is feeling when she sings. You feel her hurt, and her lonelyness. My favorite interview is the one with (I think I remember) Dick Cavett, where she talks about the reunion, and says, "Im going back..." OMG i get chills just thinking of that. Everytime I see it or hear her say that, I think, Ya you go girl.

nodano Guest

Janis

Damn cool photos of the room where Janis died! I'd love to stay there someday.

I adore Janis. In many ways, I feel a sort of a connection to her. Her voice, to me, transended the question of whether it was a "good" singing voice. It just was.

Listening to "Ball and Chain" brings me to tears. Amazing woman. I wish she was still with us. I've seen the Porshe several times up at the R 'N' R Hall of Fame. It was cool to see the same car that was shown at the end of "Janis".

Amy

Snoopy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleRain View Post
    You know, im no ghost expert. but...you can a little orb in the pictures. You never know, maybe she just wanted to make sure and get in the pic.

I am a huge Janis fan. And like everyone else on here, I agree with you, there was and never will be a singer like her. You could actually FEEL what she is feeling when she sings. You feel her hurt, and her lonelyness. My favorite interview is the one with (I think I remember) Dick Cavett, where she talks about the reunion, and says, "Im going back..." OMG i get chills just thinking of that. Everytime I see it or hear her say that, I think, Ya you go girl.
    I noticed that too..in the pictures of the bed..I have been going back and forth between a reflection and an orb..and I have read stories and seen shows where they talk about how her ghost messes with the phones every time she is talked about..don't know if there's any truth to it. It's so cool that you got to stay there!

There is only one orb in the photo by the bed where she died, and another one, in the same spot ont he pic of both beds. I dont know if it really is a "orb" of a ghost, but after watching all those ghost tv shows, that is what comes about with a ghost shows up in a pic. And I can totally see Janis' ghost wanting to show herself.

JanisFan Guest

Janis Joplin House for sale

I am a member of the official Janis Joplin site, (and also a big fan of findadeath).
    There is OFFICIAL word that the only house she ever owned is up for sale! Here is the link to the listing, COMPLETE W/ PHOTOS!

I really enjoyed seeing it, and I wish I had a few million bucks to throw around- I'd buy it and make a Janis museum there. It is , after all, the only place she ever CHOSE to call home...

It's worth a look, anyway!

http://www.homes2uonline.com/listing/59037875
    http://www.trulia.com/property/10485...kspur-CA-94939
    Thanks!
    Melissa

knothere Guest
    wow wish i had a mill or so to toss id by it just cuz it looks awsome

BetteDavisEyes1986 Guest
    Damn wish I wasn't poor I'd snatch that up in a second

Me too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

Forever-27 Guest
    Last time I was at her home, the deck was rotting and falling apart , and the triage was gone. Some wall inside the house janis carved her name into the wood. Marin County is uppidy. Thus expensive, even today where the economy is in the crapper, for maybe a mere 2 million bucks ( and thats with the property value decrese ) the place may be yours. Larkspur is a nice city tho, low crime, good schools and close to Stinson Beach ~ Janis's final resting place

if only i had a couple of mill ...

Steve Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes1986 View Post
    Damn wish I wasn't poor I'd snatch that up in a second
    I'll bet Janis wishes she wasn't dead. She might still be living there!

JanisFan Guest
    Wow, you've actually been there? That's awesome.

Have you read that book that came out a few years ago called "Remember Who You Are"? This chick who was born in '77 was claiming to be the reincarnation of Janis. She even went so far as to track down Janis's family. She made it to Prescott, Az. where Janis's mother lived (she had just died prior to this kook's visit). She was spouting off "memories" that any of us that read a book on her would be able to claim was "fact". I'm a firm believer in reincarnation, but this was a little too far fetched.

Living out here near Austin, TX, I was able to go visit "Threadgill's" on Lamar Blvd - where Janis used to hang out.

I thought it was a hole in the wall type of bar, but it's now a bar & restuarant. They totally remodeled it back in the 80's - so any "essence" of Janis is now long gone. There was only one picture of Janis on the wall in the there.

JanisFan Guest
    Those are awesome pictures of the famous room 105!
    Thanks for sharing! I just finished the book Love, Janis by Laura Joplin, and now I can actually see what was described.

I read Janis' autopsy report, http://www.janisjoplin.net/autopsy/ and now I can see how it would be possible to be wedged so tightly. Interesting. The autopsy report is really interesting reading, so I included the above link.
    I was born in 1968, so I was only 2 when she died, but my momma raised me right, so Janis music has always been a part of my life!

JanisFan Guest
    Hey Seberly-

Any weird or unusual "otherworldly " vibes in room 105 when you stayed? I would LOVE the chance to stay the night there! I noticed the orbs in the pictures, FAR OUT!

yep, those are orbs! fantastic ghost pic!!!!!!
    pull the string!

Forever-27 Guest
    Tina Turner has said on Oprah that she plans on going back on the road. Watch this video closely. Youll see Tina on stage with Janis Joplin.

Even Tina remembers.

http://www.tinaturnerlive.com/video/?vid=1

dirk diggler Guest
    Just came across this by accident off this site.
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/index.html
    Janis Joplin was arrested in November 1969 in Florida and charged with disorderly conduct after yelling obscenities at police officers during a Tampa concert. Charges were later dropped after it was ruled that the singer's actions were an exercise of free speech.

Ahh yeah you tell em gal!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	janisjoplinmug1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	428.1 KB 
ID:	5672  
    Last edited by dirk diggler; 05-28-2008 at 04:02 AM.

this thread has just reminded me of an article i was reading in the guardian saying That near San Fran at Muir Woods below is Muir Beach where there is a cove where her ashes were scattered , as she sang at The Pelican Inn . Not sure how true that is , but I may have to have a look when I'm over in the states in a couple of weeks

Forever-27 Guest
    This just popped up on ebay. Janis and Tina Turner onstage. Madison Square garden , NYC , 11,27 1969.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-PHOTO...QQcmdZViewItem

This just popped up on ebay. Janis and Tina Turner onstage. Madison Square garden , NYC , 11,27 1969.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRA-RARE-PHOTO...QQcmdZViewItem
    Wow, I wonder if it will even get any bids?

JanisFan Guest

Smile Why I love Janis

I've for some reason been on an excessive Janis kick lately~ more than usual.
    I really have benn digging up all I can, and enjoying the journey.
    In finding out what I can from books, the web, and of course the MUSIC, I feel like I have found a kindred spirit ofsome kind. I have learned a lot about MYSELF along the way.

So here's what I love (and identify with) about Janis~
    ~ THE MUSIC! that voice! LISTEN TO HER... for you Janis newbies, try Little Girl Blue, Ball and Chain, Summertime, Me & Bobby Magee. ( OK, listen to it ALL)Listen and really FEEL. She can rock your world, break your heart, & give you chiils, all in 1 song, sometimes in one held note, or turn of a phrase. Natural ability!
    ~She was a kind and good person. If you read her sister Laura Joplin's book, Love , Janis, you can read Janis' letters home. AMAZING to me how she lived this rock star life, but took the tim to write home to the folks. She wanted to be loved and accepted~ especially by the family and her hometown ~ she never really got what she was looking for. That last trip home in Aug 1970 2 months before she died, not only did her parents reject her (her brother Michael said they were "very cold"), they left town! Of course, another HUGE letdown at the high school reunion that trip. Not only did the classmates still not accept her, they went out of their way to state collectively this was NOT a Joplin thing~ didn't even ask her to sing! Waht a slap!
    ~She was ok with being a poster child saying, it's ok if your'e different! "Love who you are- it's all you got"!
    ~ She was not drop dead gogeous and glam. She was a self confessed "ugly chick from Texas" but she kept TRYING- Trying to be ok with that, and not pretend. She knew and accepted herself, always WISHING things could be different, and not afraid to say so! I love that, and wish I could be that brave. I THINK YA WERE BEAUTIFUL BABE!
    ~She was loud and proud about herself- EVERYTHING- good , bad, and the ugly.
    It's just a shame she put herself out there so far, just to prove she could. Always wnating to be the life of the party, to be boisterous, mostly to get love, affection, & friendship.
    ~She developed the "character" Pearl, which I think was the other side of her personality. Janis wanted love, marrige, a house &family. Janis was like a little girl and so vunerable, so needy and insecure. She saw no real worth to herself, did'nt even think she could really SING! (Come on, baby!) PEARL was self assured, cocky, real diva attitude and dress...a ballsy mamma indeed! Pearl lashed out before anyone had the chance to hurt her!
    ~ It all feels so senseless and wrong. I always get the feeling that I wish I knew her, wished I could'a helped her see she was talented, funny, brilliant and smart...to help her in whatever way. We are all needy, and vunerable, and feel pain and sorrow, love and hate. She really s an everyperson. And a superstar!
    Success in career, failure in love and self esteem. BLOWS ME AWAY, but I get it. I understand. I love her for her guts to just be so human, to let it all out.
    ~ I love the music she left, the interviews-she really was very intelligent, the preformances and concert footage. The great iconic photos-wow. I love the art she sketched and painted, and the songs she actually WROTE and preformed, sharing her soul with the world. Quite talented, living every minute of every day to the max. Ultimately, she self destructed, but she crammed in A LOT in 27 years~ and less than a 5 year career.
    ~ Some people just love the IDEA of Janis . "Sex drugs, & rock & roll pary glam hippie chick who died young and became an icon. But I am digging deep, and she still fascinates me. There are a million reasons I LOVE Janis....
    ~Rest in peace, Janis, & Pearl....
    Melissa

Bleedstreet Guest
    Sorry gang but JMHO

Janis was a crappy singer who looked like a infected skank.

like i said JMHO

and yes i know she has sold more cd's than me..
    Last edited by Bleedstreet; 06-05-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: add on

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedstreet View Post
    Sorry gang but JMHO

Janis was a crappy singer who looked like a infected skank.

like i said JMHO

and yes i know she has sold more cd's than me..
    You are entitled to your opinion...

But please let us know who YOUR favorite singers are so we can give you ours!

Bleedstreet Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aries65 View Post
    You are entitled to your opinion...

But please let us know who YOUR favorite singers are so we can give you ours!
    Celine Dion

Allanis Morrisette

Celine Dion

Allanis Morrisette

I'll be taking the 5th on those two honey, yikes...

Snoopy Guest
    Celine Dion

Allanis Morrisette

Nuff said............

Snoopy Guest
    Oh and I agree with an earlier post..Her version of SummerTime is Fabulous..I have it on my IPOD and I tell you there is nothing like listening to that song while walking on a Beautiful Summer day.

cynnbox Guest
    i knwo who janis joplin is, obviously but i am not real familiar with her music....

need to look into that.

I'm with you on that...Egad. Passion, originality? Anyone?......Janis had both in spades!
    Last edited by joplinfrk; 06-07-2008 at 07:43 AM.

ceege Guest
    When my daughter was little I would rock her to sleep by singing Mercedes Benz and Summertime. Even now, we'll be in the car and sing MB all the way through with the windows open and our hair blowing wildly.

I love Janis.

A little OT, but I love Still The One!

Forever-27 Guest
    alanis morriset wasnt bad in the beginning but omg, the wheels really fell off that wagon. after jagged little pill, her music went sour

JanisFan Guest
    I myself would start with Janis' PEARL album- her last. It's a masterpiece, and gives Janis at her best, with a fine range of music-blues, balls out rock, a country blues,and break your heart ballad/blues.

JanisFan Guest
    Alanis and Celine....better than Janis-fuhgedditaboutit! They both have talent, don't get me wrong. Celine has great range and a beautiful voice. My absolute favorite Celine CD is called MIRACLE, for some reason not many people have heard of it...
    It was released after her son was born, and has BEAUTIFUL lullabyes, and great songs that tug at your heart about how we all feel about our precious kids. I HIGHLY reccomend it! I love to listen to it-especially when my 3 yr old has 1 of those tantrum throwing getting into everything making me nuts kinda days! It reminds me liffe is precious, and one of these days, I'll miss all the excitement because he's only little once.
    Poor Alanis, I agree with the previous post, 1 album and the wheels fell off! I do own her greatest hits, and still enjoy it from time 2 time.
    Each to their own. I like all 3, and I admire anyone who has the talent to sing and make you FEEL. I always wanted to be a singer, but unfortunately, I'm like that Hong guy from american idol- NO talent! Can't do on key or pitch... I look around before I sing along to ANY tune-try not to subject other human beings to the mental torture!! But I love to sing nevertheless.

I could listen to Kosmic Blues on a loop, myself. RIP, Janis. You are still missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    I noticed that too..in the pictures of the bed..I have been going back and forth between a reflection and an orb..and I have read stories and seen shows where they talk about how her ghost messes with the phones every time she is talked about..don't know if there's any truth to it. It's so cool that you got to stay there!
    There's one in the kitchen pic too. The cabinet next to the fridge.

Forever-27 Guest
    aries you find the kewlest stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ceege View Post
    When my daughter was little I would rock her to sleep by singing Mercedes Benz and Summertime. Even now, we'll be in the car and sing MB all the way through with the windows open and our hair blowing wildly.

I love Janis.
    MB was included in a music class I took, it was included with folk music. That turned me on to Janis. Now, totally OT, would someone please explain the tinfoil hat thing?