Thread: Katrin Cartlidge

RoRo Guest

Katrin Cartlidge

Katrin Cartlidge
    Stage and film actress known for her collaborations with Mike Leigh and Lars Von Trier
    Simon McBurney
    Monday September 9, 2002
    The Guardian

Katrin Cartlidge who has died aged 41 (of complications from pneumonia and septicaemia) was one of the most fearless and passionately committed performers on screen and stage to have emerged from Britain for years. From her first appearance as Lucy Collins in television's Brookside, through 25 films and many stage appearances, her career was remarkable.
    An early screen appearance was as Sophie in Mike Leigh's film Naked (1993), which was the beginning of a profound collaboration with Leigh. This was recognised when she won best cinema actress in the Evening Standard Awards for her inventive creation in his film Career Girls (1997). As her career progressed, the range of work available to her was enormous. But it was her choice of the work that demonstrated her unique qualities. She worked for the Danish director Lars Von Trier in Breaking The Waves (1996), when few in Britain knew about his films. She worked with the unknown Macedonian director Milcho Manchevsky in the Oscar-nominated Before The Rain (1994), which won the Golden Lion in Venice that year. In the Oscar-winning No Man's Land (2001), the first film of Bosnian director Panis Tanovic, she played a justice-seeking journalist. For Lodge Kerrigan in New York, she played an Irish immigrant working as a call girl in Clare Dolan (1998). Katrin Cartlidge, actor, born May 15 1961; died September 7 2002
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Noelle Page Guest
    I have met her mother, Barbara, who owns a wonderful jewelry gallery in London and is quite the remarkable woman herself. Interesting family. Very sad. How did she get so sick?

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    I have met her mother, Barbara, who owns a wonderful jewelry gallery in London and is quite the remarkable woman herself. Interesting family. Very sad. How did she get so sick?

Obituary

Katrin Cartlidge

[SIZE=3]Stage and film actress known for her collaborations with Mike Leigh and Lars Von Trier[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Simon McBurney
    Monday September 9, 2002
    The Guardian

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Photo: Martin Godwin
    [/SIZE]

Katrin Cartlidge who has died aged 41 (of complications from pneumonia and septicaemia) was one of the most fearless and passionately committed performers on screen and stage to have emerged from Britain for years. From her first appearance as Lucy Collins in television's Brookside, through 25 films and many stage appearances, her career was remarkable. Septicemia

What is septicemia?

Septicemia is the clinical name for blood poisoning. Septicemia that progresses to septic shock has a death rate as high as 50 percent, depending on the type of organism involved. Septicemia is a medical emergency and requires urgent medical treatment.

Noelle Page Guest
    Thanks Nov. I wonder how you get that. Like stepping on a rusty nail?

Mrs F Guest
    I remember being very shocked about her death. Such a wonderful actress.

RoRo Guest
    You can become septic from anything really......its basically a massive infection in your blood system and it's very hard to fight if you are already in a weakened state.

John Connor Guest
    I think she lived pretty hard. I remember seeing her in the film Naked. I was quite young but I remember staying up all night talking about it with my friends. We were blown away. I must see it again.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keeunjames View Post
    I think she lived pretty hard. I remember seeing her in the film Naked. I was quite young but I remember staying up all night talking about it with my friends. We were blown away. I must see it again.
    No real evidence that she lived hard other than she was a very committed hardworking actress! Her work may have taken a lot out of her but I dont recall any info on her living hard in the destructive sense RE: substances etc! I do hope Im right! Her illness was a devastating one on the body! Naked is an amazing film!
    Last edited by cherryghost; 11-06-2008 at 06:28 AM.

I loved this actress... saw her for the first time in Breaking the Waves.. and was absolutely blown away.. this skinny, "plain" looking woman just had so much presence about her... Have not seen Naked unfortunately, but think I´ll look it up. One of my fave films is From Hell, where she playes Annie Chapman, and did a great job... she fitted in perfectly with the darkness and mood of the movie..

I was shocked to read that she had died, in another thread in here... such a waste. Have been reading abit about the disease that she had Pheochromocytoma.. what an awfull way to go... so much pain she must have been in. It´s frustrating that despite of all of our knowledge on infections and antibiotics, people still die from septicemia... mainly because they are weakend by illness or old age...

RIP Katrin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Love is the answer - and you know that for sure.

lab_rat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Thanks Nov. I wonder how you get that. Like stepping on a rusty nail?

You can get septic if you have a severe case of pneumonia. If she lived hard, she may have let it go untreated.

Quote Originally Posted by lab_rat View Post
    You can get septic if you have a severe case of pneumonia. If she lived hard, she may have let it go untreated.
    as far as I understand, she got the pneumonia because of the disease that she suffered from... which in many cases is genetic.. never heard that she lived particulary hard... but I don´t no
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Isn't it like meningitis.
    Aways remember her from "Brookside" (uk soap) but most of all from "From Hell"
    beautiful girl

Quote Originally Posted by deathbunny View Post
    Isn't it like meningitis.
    Aways remember her from "Brookside" (uk soap) but most of all from "From Hell"
    beautiful girl
    as far as i can read from this, it is a tumor that usually originates in the adrenal glands in the pancreas.... they are mostly benign, but can result in an overproduction of adrenalin and therefor cause high blod pressure, palpitations, anxiety.. etc... it is mostly treated surgically but chemo and radiation is also common. It can be cancerous...

anyway here´s the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pheochromocytoma
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fultondyke Guest
    Pheochromocytomas can cause drastic HUGE increases in blood pressure which can cause strokes, heart attacks and kidney failure...the patient is tipically treated with medication to counteract the adrenergic (stimulating to the body, like epinepherine) hormone production and release, and when this is stabilized, the pheo is surgically removed. I thought that she suffered from lupus also...At any rate, I was shocked and saddened when she died. I remembered seeing her in several independent films, as well as in the movie From Hell and I always thought she was a good actress. She was also in the documentary Searching for Debre Winger and I remember her talking about how she celebrated the aging process, and how she looked forward to the roles she would be playing as she got older...Too bad that didn't happen..

John Connor Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by fultondyke View Post
    Pheochromocytomas can cause drastic HUGE increases in blood pressure which can cause strokes, heart attacks and kidney failure...the patient is tipically treated with medication to counteract the adrenergic (stimulating to the body, like epinepherine) hormone production and release, and when this is stabilized, the pheo is surgically removed. I thought that she suffered from lupus also...At any rate, I was shocked and saddened when she died. I remembered seeing her in several independent films, as well as in the movie From Hell and I always thought she was a good actress. She was also in the documentary Searching for Debre Winger and I remember her talking about how she celebrated the aging process, and how she looked forward to the roles she would be playing as she got older...Too bad that didn't happen..

I remember the Debra Winger doc. she shows up with Charlotte Rampling. She was a good actress.