Thread: Suspense Radio Show

Danny62 Guest

Suspense Radio Show

Anyone listen to the old "Suspense" shows? They always had big name Hollywood stars on them. These well written and well performed!

If you have share your thoughts!

Or any oldtime radio show you like as well.

"The Strange Dr. weird" was another one I really liked.

The only one I've heard is "Sorry, Wrong Number" with Agnes Moorehead (Endora of Bewitched fame). It was pretty good.

I love old radio program, esp Jack Benny and George and Gracie. I have a few of the Shadow, and I enjoy those too.

I really love the commercials- "9 out of 10 doctors prefer Camel cigarettes!"

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DietCokeofEvil View Post
    The only one I've heard is "Sorry, Wrong Number" with Agnes Moorehead (Endora of Bewitched fame). It was pretty good.

I love old radio program, esp Jack Benny and George and Gracie. I have a few of the Shadow, and I enjoy those too.

I really love the commercials- "9 out of 10 doctors prefer Camel cigarettes!"
    Arthur Godfey-"smoke em two, three packs a day"

OH those cigarette commericals are a hoot!! If people only knew...

ComputerGuy Guest
    I remember the Late Night Radio plays on AM.

Makes you appreciate the glory days of radio.

Left more to the imagination on the characters, what they looked like, etc.

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    I remember the Late Night Radio plays on AM.

Makes you appreciate the glory days of radio.

Left more to the imagination on the characters, what they looked like, etc.
    And for me every time you listen its different because your imagination plays out different senerio's.

Old time radio "Theater of the mind"

pvezz Guest
    At the risk of being banned, I will provide the link to the website of a friend of mine. He loves all things vintage; movies, radio, fashion, Holllywood; etc. www.midnightpalace.com. Check it out!

cb1965 Guest
    I used to listen to "Mystery Theater" on a station in Fresno back in the late 70's, early 80's. ("Sponsered by the Blueberry Hill Cafe"!!) I remember listening with my little radio under my pillow, so no one knew I was up so late. They had some great shows!

Danny62 Guest
    Other really good ones are:

The Whistler
    Inner sanctum mysteries
    Strange Dr. Weird
    Lights out

If there are any world war II buffs out there you can get a complete transcript of D-Day as it was broadcast. It is like 24 hours straight. I have listened to them at work and its like a time machine back to the 1940's!

Kathyf Guest
    I used to love mystery theater it was on at 10;30 every night.

Forever-27 Guest
    The Green Hornet
    jack benny
    Duffy's Tavern
    Gangbusters
    Dragnet
    The Shadow
    The Untouchables with Elliot Ness
    Abbot and Costello
    The Outter Limits
    I love a Mystery

I liked them all, I have whole boxes of casettes of these somewhere. 560 KSFO in San Francisco used to play them and id record them as a kid

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    The Green Hornet
    jack benny
    Duffy's Tavern
    Gangbusters
    Dragnet
    The Shadow
    The Untouchables with Elliot Ness
    Abbot and Costello
    The Outter Limits
    I love a Mystery

I liked them all, I have whole boxes of casettes of these somewhere. 560 KSFO in San Francisco used to play them and id record them as a kid
    Some good shows. I have a box of probably over 200 cassettes of shows I have collected...and still listen to!

Alone though, no one else in my family seems to appreciate it!

Frazzzld Kat Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cb1965 View Post
    I used to listen to "Mystery Theater" on a station in Fresno back in the late 70's, early 80's. ("Sponsered by the Blueberry Hill Cafe"!!) I remember listening with my little radio under my pillow, so no one knew I was up so late. They had some great shows!
    Thats the one I remember ... Wasn't it mystery theater that had the host name E. G. Marshall or something like that? I was young but I remember one of the stories being about a boy with a really long name... Rikki Tikki Tembo Nosarembo etc...

cubbiecatz Guest
    My dad had the cassette tapes for The Shadow (only The Shadow knows) and the Inner Sanctum. We would get together and turn the lights off and listen to them.

Forever-27 Guest
    Forgot about Our Miss Brooks and Fibber McGee and Molly and The Great Gildersleve and lastly The Life of Riley.

Classics !

bunkin91 Guest
    I've collected old radio shows for a good 25 years. I have probably 4000 on MP3s. Some I buy. I love the LIfe of Riley, Dragnet, Bickersons, X Minus 1, Suspense, Fibber Magee and Molly. The entire CBS Radio Mystery Theater runs about 1400 episodes and can be found for anywhere from $40 to $75 depending on if you want them on 7 DVDs or 35 CDs. I have both versions. They are fun to listen to and make long driving trips bearable. Tons of old shows out there that can easily be downloaded off the internet for free.