Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Laurel & Hardy

"I've got sunshine on a cloudy day
    And when it's cold outside,
    Well I've got the month of May"

Had the urge, to add to this mess.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

4/17/1961: Stan received a Lifetime Achievement Honorary Oscar for "his creative pioneering in the field of cinema comedy." Although delighted with the award, he was sad that Babe wasn't around and considered this Oscar to be for Babe as well as himself. Love the delight on his face. He didn't attend the actual ceremony (due to poor health). Take note of the painting directly behind him: the Mona Laurel! For some reason, in B/W photos of this scene this painting isn't there.

For anyone who may be interested in reading/viewing a silent comedy of Stan's before he worked with Ollie, here's Dr. Pyckle and Mr. Pryde.
    Julie Leonard (the actress who plays his assistant) has a striking resemblance to Stan's future costar Mae Busch as she appeared in Von Stroheim's Foolish Wives.

The video restoration is amazingly sharp and clear for a 96 year-old film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbokt4-HPs
    Here's the review: https://moviessilently.com/2018/07/0...t-film-review/

Motion pictures age very rapidly. Many from the 1970s, even 1980s, have already become embarrassing to watch.

But those Laurel & hardy flicks are almost as fresh as orchard peaches. I don't know why and don't want to scrutinize the matter. Laurel & Hardy movies are still top-notch to me in 2021, no doubt about it.

The last photoshoot, 1956. Babe had become so concerned about the impact his weight would have on his heart that he went on a crash diet. He went from 350 to 210 pounds. Babe is relatively trim, no double chins, and thin silvery hair. With the loss of weight went the chance of a revival of their act, since it depended so strongly on the physical contrast between the two. Personally, I think Babe is happier in this photo than almost any other, including those with his third (and final) wife Lucille.

Friends of Babe who were present at the photoshoot were so visibly upset by the total change Babe had undergone that he was terribly perturbed by their reaction, and he became a virtual recluse from that day. Poor Babe had been what we now call "body-shamed" his whole life for being fat. Then he finally lost weight and people still made him feel uncomfortable about his appearance.

Sadly, on 9/14/56 he suffered a massive and crippling cerebral stroke, followed by cancer which reduced his weight even further - to 120. He couldn't speak and was paralyzed except for minor movements of his left arm and leg. Incredibly, in January Babe's second wife Myrtle (in her never-ending quest for more alimony) sent a process server to Babe! (Babe and Lucille at this point were living with her mom). When informed of how ill the "defendant" was, the appalled process server apologized profusely and left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laurel Hardy last photoshoot.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	55181

I think he looks dapper. He looks great in this photo also. You can tell that he was happy, and that's all that should matter.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	55182
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Couldn't find out what year this was taken. My guess is it's during the 1940's when L & H worked at Fox. The Roach studio provided lighting and makeup designed to make L & H look younger / more childlike. In contrast, the Fox films show them in a realistic, glaring light which unfortunately accentuated their wrinkles. Stan seems to be having the ultimate 'bad hair day'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave62 View Post
    Couldn't find out what year this was taken. My guess is it's during the 1940's when L & H worked at Fox. The Roach studio provided lighting and makeup designed to make L & H look younger / more childlike. In contrast, the Fox films show them in a realistic, glaring light which unfortunately accentuated their wrinkles. Stan seems to be having the ultimate 'bad hair day'.

He kind of reminds me of Boris Johnson with his hair like that.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

9. 05-06-2022, 06:13 PM

Can't resist posting photos of Stan in his final years. Allows us to see some of the happiness he enjoyed, knowing how much he and his late partner were truly appreciated.
    A photo of Stan, he's with Peter Sellers.

With Dick Van Dyke.

At home, next to a tape recorder and probably a record-player. Notice what's on top of the TV? His honorary Oscar!

Stan enjoyed corresponding with his many fans and friends who'd write to him. He was listed in the Santa Monica phone directory!

A letter written six weeks before he died.

I absolutely love everything they did but my favorite is Saps At Sea!