Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Lady of the Angels school fire

Wow. So, we finally got a picture of the bastard. He sorta looks like Ralphie from A Christmas Story. Ugh.

So, my library finally got in To Sleep With The Angels for me. Going up there in a bit to pick it up! YAY!
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Drfish, have some tissue ready, oh and did you see my post where I found the dvd for 25.00 just ordered, it takes two to four weeks for it to even ship.

I just got the DVD in will watch it tomorrow.

Seeing his pic gives me chills...hmmmmm, he was actually photographed with the stepdad who hated me.

Nice find, Alan. Do you know the circumstances behind the pic? thanks!

***Clean out ya inbox!
    Last edited by LLC; 09-16-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Just finished the dvd Angels Too Soon, OMG, it's just...wow...I recommend it.

mollymontgomery Guest
    I hope this is okay to post (it's my first post here, but I've been lurking for a while).

I stumbled across the original British Movietone news broadcast of the OLA fire, and I thought some people might be interested in seeing it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s3551j1s69...08-1958%20.mp4

Nice Find

Wow! That is amazing footage! I wonder what happened to the American version of this clip?
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

Timeo Vitae Guest
    <Molly, thanks for putting this up. I'd viewed this before, but had forgotten about it. Now that I'm a mother, watching the anguish of people in the clip instantly brings me to tears. The music irritated me though; reminded me of an old sci-fi flilm....

Cleo Guest
    Good to join you all. I just finished TSWTA, and like you, I'm so curious for more. I accidently stumbled upon the photo of "the boy" with his stepfather but now I cannot find it. Can anyone lead me?

I think you can find the pic you're looking for a bit upthread. Maybe previous page from here?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cleo Guest
    It looks like the photo is from post #696, but it will not open for me. Any idea how I can find that photo again?

Thanks for responding Noelle - I'm new here. Just joined today. I've looked and looked on that site - which tab is it?

13. 09-22-2013, 12:44 PM
    Reason
    dupe

Cleo - you can find it on www.olafire.com
    The reason a dog has so many friends is because he wags his tail instead of his tongue.

15. 09-22-2013, 03:54 PM
    Reason
    dupe

Cleo Guest
    I still can't find it. I see comments about it, but I cannot locate the photo. Help?

kmgt Guest
    Post #797 in this thread. One page back.

Cleo Guest
    kmgt, thank you! Thats it.

19. 09-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi Cleo -

www.olafire.com

1) News and Photos (tab at the top)

2) Photo Gallery (drop down menu)

3) People

4) Scroll down to photograph #532. If you blink, you will miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Just finished the dvd Angels Too Soon, OMG, it's just...wow...I recommend it.
    I'm gonna see if our library here can get it for me. I never got finished with the book. I was so damn busy. I'm gonna have to buy that thing for the Kindle if they have it.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

muscababy Guest
    Hi, I'm also obvioiusly new here, but OLA has intrigued me since the early 1970's. I had gone to a catholic school too eerily similar to OLA (St. Brigids) and we had our own little "brush" in 1968 whe an eight-grader touched off the trash can in the boy's restroom in the basement...Luckily, damp paper towels don't burn too well, but they diod smudge up the school a bit. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain he may have received a beating that he probably still feels!

I never knew of OLA until a few years later, when I had bought a book about famous fires; then there were no pictures of OLA in it. In the late 1990's, I had gotten a copy of TSWTA from a gentleman who ran a store in the Chicago area that dealt with firefighting memorabilia nd models. He was awarre of Michielle McBrides' book, and I read that later. I had gotten a copy of it from the local library through "interloan" (And proceeded to write in the proper names, and correct glaring errors, such as "The firemen could'nt reach us! The ladders were too short!"...She had obviously seen the pictures of the ladders on the north wing, opposite side of the wing where she was (Over the courtyard) under the windows, only one "job" ladder was there, that from Engine 85), and I was an early poster at OLAfire.com, before they had the private area for survivors.....I sent Eric a couple of pictures, and had exchanged pleasant e-mails with Charlene (Chargidget) Jancik before she passed away. In my days as an artist, I was doing a story about a girl from Chicago that throughout my series, had OLA in the back of her mind. I was shocked to see the picture of the "suspect"....I had drawn him almost perfect, way back in the 1990's!

Like others, I would like to know what his name/s were, just for my own personal information. If anyone would PM me, it's one of the few things I will ever need to know to complete the puzzle. I was injured at work a year and and a half ago, and it looks like I'm "retired" now, like it or not, and I'm not about to do any muckracking....I just want to have this information. And yes, I'm a Scorpio.

Thank you.

I heard that Charlene was a very nice lady. I have made friends with some of the OLA survivors.

torqueflite Guest
    Is the alleged arsonist also in a photo in Room 309, seventh grade, new school?

Miranda Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by torqueflite View Post
    Is the alleged arsonist also in a photo in Room 309, seventh grade, new school?
    Yes, I believe so.

December 1st will mark the 55th anniversary of this horrible tragedy. I am lighting a candle in memory of the children and the two nuns who died with them.
    "What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's really all about?" Jimmy Buffett

http://youtu.be/YLhO25vBT5
    Footage of the fire provided by the Chicago Fire Department.

Yeah Alan I have been thinking of them as well, and On May 18 I'll do the same for students of Bath Michigan, and on March 18th for the New London School in Texas and on Dec 30 for the Iroquois Theater and on March 4th for the Collinwood School Fire victims, I am writing a book that will have all these fires in it, Bath, New London, Collinwoo, OLA, Babs Switch, and a few others, if you want some good reads, Get Gone at 3:17 and Bath Massacre America's First School Bombing.

Couldn't find the youtube video

This time of year I always feel closer to these children. All these years and it still seems fresh.
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Sorry about the error posting the video. Thanks,Pkstracy, I will have to read those books. ChicagoBorn, although I am from Ohio and the fire took place before I was born, I think of those kids and the nuns every December 1.It would be too intense for those who lost family members and the survivors, but this story would make a compelling film providing that it followed the books To Sleep With the Angels, Remembrance of the Angels and the stories posted at the OLA website. The subject matter is understandably disturbing and a great deal of sensitivity should be used if anyone ever brings the story to the silver screen.

The story is still fresh in the mind of many survivors. Just like "The Station" nightclub fire, some survivors will talk about it, others will not. There is a movie called "Saving John Christmas." I hope that I got the name correct. Peter Falk is in it. It has some basis on the Our Lady of the Angels fire.

Thanks, Noelle 1966. Was the John Christmas movie on Lifetime? I am bound to see it on there since they rerun stuff quite a bit.

I believe it was.

Maybe the Hallmark channel.....Finding John Christmas?
    "When you help someone up a hill, you get that much closer to the top yourself."
    -Anonymous

Thanks, ChicagoBorn.

I've read about the movie but have never seen it. If anyone has can you describe the ties to OLA? My antique TV doesn't pick up the Hallmark channel. I guess I should look and see if it is available to buy on Hallmark's website but would like to know if it is worth of.
    -Anonymous

The movie is based upon a firefighter who was unable to save children and some of his fellow firefighters in a school fire. Peter Falk is an angel who helps him get through his feelings. I need to look again on IMDB to see if there is any more that I can tell you.

Tomorrow We Make Whoopie

Fifty five years ago today, 27 year-old Sister Mary Claire Therese (Eloise) Champagne wrote the following message in crayon on her roommate's (Sister Andrienne Carolan):
    "Today is Recollection Sunday. We can't celebrate today, but tomorrow we will make whoopie."
    The young nun never got the chance to celebrate. She and some of her seventh graders died the next day, December 1, 1958, because a 10 year-old firebug wanted a few days off from school.
    Last edited by Alanwench; 12-01-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Remembering and praying on this anniversary.

Alan,thank you for posting that about Sister, I have never read that before.
    -Anonymous

Timeo Vitae Guest
    Remembering all those lives that ended or changed forever on that horrible day.

Fifty five years ago today, Rest in peace. I am angry for them that no justice has been done. That fucker got off scott free while families had to mourn the loss of their loved ones.

I think that the judge thought it best to rehabilitate him, but I'm not so sure it helped any. Apparently, he was sent to a reform school out of state. However, it is said that the reform school knew nothing about his fire setting habits. This was a kid who was sick and needed lots of help. I am so sorry that so many families had to go through this terrible fire.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoBorn View Post
    Remembering and praying on this anniversary.

Alan,thank you for posting that about Sister, I have never read that before.
    You're welcome, ChicagoBorn. IIRC, I either read about Sister's message in an article about her that is on the OLA page or it was an interview with Sister Andrienne Carolan.

During the pre-dawn hours of December 1, 1958, Mary Malinski awoke to the sound of one of her children calling for her. She comforted her daughter, Linda, who said she couldn't breathe. Linda was having a nightmare that their apartment was on fire. She suffered from asthma and her mother blamed the condition and her nightmare on upsetting Linda. What she said next convinced Mary that her daughter was having a premonition .
    "Mommy, I heard people screaming." Linda settled back to sleep, but was feeling too ill with asthma to attend class at OLA. By lunchtime, she was feeling better and her mother agreed that she was well enough to go to school. Before Linda left for school, she asked her mother if she looked OK,
    "You look like an angel," Mary replied. It was the last time she saw her daughter, Linda died in her classroom.

I don't think Philip Presti was sent to reform school, he lived his life, was a truck driver, had a family, his granddaughter ,11-years-old was killed in a rock slide, one of his sons also died, Philip died of cancer in 2004. Yes I am posting his name, I do not understand why they won't mention his name, if it's to keep his family in the dark, oh well, all those other parents had to endure the loss of their children and didn't get justice.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    I don't think Philip Presti was sent to reform school, he lived his life, was a truck driver, had a family, his granddaughter ,11-years-old was killed in a rock slide, one of his sons also died, Philip died of cancer in 2004. Yes I am posting his name, I do not understand why they won't mention his name, if it's to keep his family in the dark, oh well, all those other parents had to endure the loss of their children and didn't get justice.
    Aaaaaaaaand the cat's out of the bag. LOL

Chicago273 Guest
    Philip Decker was his name at the time of the fire, It was later changed to Philip Presti. Its not a secret and there is nothing wrong or illegal about posting someones name who is technically only a suspect... But no doubt who the guilty is.....

I just know that some of the families at OLA are very sensitive about "the boy" and do not wish any harm on his family. Whether or not they knew about his experiences in Chicago, they had nothing to do with it. The OLA family wishes no harm on his family in California.

Chicago273 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    I just know that some of the families at OLA are very sensitive about "the boy" and do not wish any harm on his family. Whether or not they knew about his experiences in Chicago, they had nothing to do with it. The OLA family wishes no harm on his family in California.

I am an OLA family, Of course there are very few around anymore that would bring harm to his family, 20 years ago, I know first hand things would of been different ... With all do respect, the Presti family has ALOT of problems and issues with themselves.. Many of you would probably not know a more dysfunctional family then them!! And believe me, his son thats still around, is not surprised or upset when he heard rumors of what his father did, In fact I think he knows and has even commented that, "Thats pretty cool" The guy is literally out of his mind! and this is a fact!!

I too have read that the surviving son is an apple that did not fall far from the tree. Sickness runs very deep in a family like this.
    -Anonymous

Does anyone know how the granddaughter was related to him? Was this his daughter's daughter?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelle1966 View Post
    Does anyone know how the granddaughter was related to him? Was this his daughter's daughter?
    The granddaughter was the child of the older son of the late Philip, and a former girlfriend--- apparently they split up soon afterward and their daughter was raised by her mother's side of the family. However, I gather that the mother and daughter were still friendly with the much younger son, who died in 2010, just prior to his 25th birthday (no cause given that I could find. The big difference in the brothers' ages indicates they were from different marriages.) At any rate, they both left nice comments on his obituary page.

The daughter, by all accounts a VERY nice child, was also overweight. At age 11, she was developing an interest in physical fitness and exercise, which, ironically, led to her death in a freak landslide, while hiking with some friends. The area where the incident (November 2012) occurred had been subject to a lot of rain, which loosened things up, and unfortunately, the poor girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Her mother never married and had no other children. The accident was big news in their part of California at the time.

In memory of his daughter (apparently also HIS only child), her father got a tattoo with her name, which he proudly displayed on his Facebook page, along with his, umm, other interests. Aw, shucks.

I do feel bad about the younger son and the grand-daughter. The younger son was just a teen when his father passed, and his niece just a toddler, so she may never even have seen this grandfather. Who knows what happened to the younger son? Maybe drugs/ drinking, maybe an accident, maybe one of those weird untimely things like a brain hemorrhage? His niece and her mom (who seems a decent sort mostly, with a real job, and quite forlorn obviously, judging from her FB) liked him, so he couldn't have been all bad.
    Old Philip did not live long enough to know any possible pain from their losses.
    Last edited by Linnie; 12-05-2013 at 06:41 PM.