Thread: Dozens killed in Kenya on New Year's Day

magblax Guest

Dozens killed in Kenya on New Year's Day

On New Years day in Kenya dozens were killed and hacked to death when a dispute occured due to recent elections. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22460182/
    Since the initial news reports on Jan. 1st nothing more has been reported. This echos what happened in Rwanda in the 90s. http://www.hrw.org/photos/2003/rwanda/
    The media remined quiet while the genocide was going on.

TNpuck Guest
    No oil, no story.

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    I had not heard of this.

panda Guest
    Yes it does, its so sad what people will do to one another. When I hear of the cruel things that go on in some of these countries in the name of religion, power, politics, whatever...it makes me real happy to be a US citizen. Some of these people are just fucking crazy! My heart goes out to these poor people.

djdeath-hag Guest
    It is troubling that there's been no follow-up. I hope that this is a reflection of the media attempting to prevent further uprisings. Sometimes, I think that media attention can make matters worse. Either way, massacres like this one make me wonder how humans can be so cruel.

magblax Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by djdeath-hag View Post
    It is troubling that there's been no follow-up. I hope that this is a reflection of the media attempting to prevent further uprisings. Sometimes, I think that media attention can make matters worse. Either way, massacres like this one make me wonder how humans can be so cruel.
    That is the scary thing!! The media silence (as if they are ever quiet). Right now a major genocide could be occuring and we are happily oblivious.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TNpuck View Post
    No oil, no story.
    Yeah, the US is drowning in all that Kuwaiti oil we stole back in '91.

miamore73 Guest
    Oh my goodness that's so sad. That poor boy. Screaming for help and couldn't get any.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by magblax View Post
    On New Years day in Kenya dozens were killed and hacked to death when a dispute occured due to recent elections. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22460182/
    Since the initial news reports on Jan. 1st nothing more has been reported. This echos what happened in Rwanda in the 90s. http://www.hrw.org/photos/2003/rwanda/
    The media remined quiet while the genocide was going on.

Cripes yes it bothers me.. this is a 'third world' country injustice, and if the world at large does not speak up about it.. ugh..

Yes I know it's like we just want the latest news
    about Britney Spears.

PvN73 Guest
    This is still being reported here in Australia - every day on the news.

It is just awful what is happening there.

I know that Australian govnt has donated $1m in aid as of yesterday.

Yksguy Guest
    It's certainly all over the news in the UK..so, panda, while there are many reasons to be grateful for being a US citizen, having a news media that keeps you informed of what is going on in the world, apart from what is going on in the US, is not one of them.

Ilmatar Guest
    Widely covered here in the Scandinavian countries.

miamore73 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Yksguy View Post
    It's certainly all over the news in the UK..so, panda, while there are many reasons to be grateful for being a US citizen, having a news media that keeps you informed of what is going on in the world, apart from what is going on in the US, is not one of them.

I'm from the US and I totally agree with you. We're fed the information that "they" want to feed us. I could really give a rats flying ass about Britney Spears and the Golden Globes being canceled. It's interesting a little. But this is the type of information our media should be covering.

panda Guest
    True, but I'd rather be uninformed about something going on thousands of miles away then be hacked to death because I have a different political view, that's what I'm thankful for.

TNpuck Guest
    I agree but if there was no demand for sensationalism we wouldn't be exposed to this kind of coverage.

There's a part of me that is ashamed at the direction our society is heading when people care more for Spears than genocide.

panda Guest
    There's a part of me that is ashamed at the direction our society is heading when people care more for Spears than genocide.
    AMEN!!!

bluebear71 Guest
    Between the blood oil, and the blood diamonds, it amazes me that there is any blood left to spill on that continent. Very sad situation, and an especially sad social commentary.

TNpuck Guest
    When I read about such horrific suffering I just want to hold my love ones and be thankful that I live in this country. It makes things like not being able to smoke in a restaurant pretty trivial, huh?

panda Guest
    When I read about such horrific suffering I just want to hold my love ones and be thankful that I live in this country. It makes things like not being able to smoke in a restaurant pretty trivial, huh?
    It sure does, very very trivial.

magblax Guest
    Still no news (here in the US) today on the possible genocide in Keyna. SCARY! But I did read Britney had a meeting with Dr. Phil.

TNpuck Guest

TNpuck Guest

TNpuck Guest

bluebear71 Guest
    To be honest, both irritate me.

magblax Guest
    Thanks for the links TN. I saw the reports online. I am just suprised that the print and news media are ignoring this story...or maybe we are all just that apathetic.

You've just illustrated why I, as a U.S. citizen, go to the BBC for my news. Sigh. It actually shames me how little the media (and by extension the public) here fixates on all things American. Heck, if something happens in Canada we never hear about it, and I far closer to Canada than, say, Texas.

This is a terrible situation and I hope we can get some focus on it and maybe some intervention by _somebody_.

Thanks for the alert and links, magblax!

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Cripes yes it bothers me.. this is a 'third world' country injustice, and if the world at large does not speak up about it.. ugh..

Oh cripes, a woman I work with and her daughter went back 'home' to Kenya for the last two months (my coworker is Kenyan) - It just dawned on me.. and her father was (he died of AIDS last year) a guard in the nationals who accepted all kindas bribes.. much more to tell, but of course I am worried Annette and her daughter Sydney are very close to me....
    Prayers and thoughts people!

panda Guest
    You got it Daphne. I work with a lady who went to Iran to find her roots, something happened to her there & she was off work for a long time after she got home. Seeing the mess her country was in just put her in a funk for many months. I pray your friends are safe & will be home soon.