Thread: Brian Connlly of Sweet

Forever-27 Guest

Brian Connlly of Sweet

Just happened to stumble on this for thoes of us who are old enough to remember Sweet , I always liked the song " Fox on the Run "

Brian Connolly was born in 1945 in Govanhill, Glasgow, (some early Sweet biographies claim he was born in 1949). Whilst the true identity of Brian's father was never made public, his mother was a teenaged waitress named Frances Connolly. He was left in a Glasgow hospital by his mother as an infant whilst possibly suffering effects of meningitis. He was fostered, aged two, by Jim and Helen Mc Manus of Blantyre and took their family name. When he was aged about eighteen he inadvertantly discovered his lineage and reverted to the name Connolly. His brother was not the late actor Mark "Taggart" McManus as is occasionally claimed. Mark's father and Brian's foster father Jim were brothers, thus making Mark McManus his (foster) cousin. The confusion is largely due to the fact that Jim McManus also had a son named Mark, and he and Brian grew up together.

At the age of twelve Connolly moved to Harefield, Middlesex. Connolly played in a number of local bands before replacing singer Ian Gillan (later of Deep Purple and Black Sabbath fame) in a band called Wainwright's Gentlemen, which included drummer Mick Tucker. Wainwright's Gentlemen split up in 1968 without releasing any recordings. Connolly and Tucker remained together and then recruited guitarist Frank Torpey, and bassist Steve Priest. They named their new band Sweetshop. The group recorded several singles and eventually shortened their name to Sweet; Andy Scott joined the line-up in late 1970, just as the band started to become famous. Over the next thirteen years Connolly recorded albums with Sweet until his drinking problem caused him to leave the band in late 1978 although the announcement of his departure was not made public until March 1979.
    After leaving Sweet, Connolly launched a solo career that had little success. In 1981 he survived multiple heart attacks in a single night, but his health was permanently affected. Despite this Connolly toured with his backing bands New Sweet and Brian Connolly's Sweet. In 1988 Connolly reunited with former bandmates Scott, Priest and Tucker to rework studio versions of "Action" and "Ballroom Blitz". The four reunited again in 1990 for the promotion of a music video documentary. However, by the late 1990s Connolly's previous drinking problem had taken a toll on his body, and he died of liver failure on 9 February 1997. He was survived by two daughters, Nicole and Michelle, and a son Brian James (BJ).

SueWahoo Guest
    Ooh, nice one. I loved Sweet. My fave songs are Little Willy and Love Is Like Oxygen.

Little Willy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHFizLOh_E

Love Is Like Oxygen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7TAEGkI0E

Noelle Page Guest
    One of the guys in that band is a dad at my kid's school. (Rather not say who or where because of an odd desire to protect privacy.) He definitely stands out, looks like he's walked on the wild side...but the child is very nice and he dutifully picks it up after school, attends parents' night, etc. Never have spoken to him but one of these days I want to say, "Thanks for the memories!"

Nowereman Guest
    I am a big fan of The Sweet, I remember them well in the 70's when I was a kid, His half brother Mark McManus starred as Taggart in the TV series here's some info on him http://www.taggart-fanclub.co.uk/mark.htm

scootershort Guest
    Ballroom Blitz.... isn't that the song that Tia Carrea sang in Wayne's World? If it is, then I heard the original as well, just didn't know the name until I thought about the lyrics.

dailyvault Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by scootershort View Post
    Ballroom Blitz.... isn't that the song that Tia Carrea sang in Wayne's World? If it is, then I heard the original as well, just didn't know the name until I thought about the lyrics.
    I'm 90 percent certain that you're right - haven't listened to that soundtrack in ages. It was also covered by the Swedish hard rock group Krokus in (I believe) 1983 on their album The Blitz.

knothere Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SueWahoo View Post
    Ooh, nice one. I loved Sweet. My fave songs are Little Willy and Love Is Like Oxygen.

Little Willy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHFizLOh_E

Love Is Like Oxygen
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP7TAEGkI0E
    thank you sue

the other awsome songs can bet goten at the links
    sweet stroll down memery lane

SlippyInvader Guest
    I loved the Sweet when I was a kid back in the 70's, Love Is Like Oxygen was my fave and I still play it from time to time when I get my old vinyls out.

ScottyMonger Guest
    "Action" is my favorite Sweet song. Also like "Ballroom Blitz". Here they are for you viewing pleasure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4GXV-lCGJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrBDivsSe3k

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SlippyInvader View Post
    I loved the Sweet when I was a kid back in the 70's, Love Is Like Oxygen was my fave and I still play it from time to time when I get my old vinyls out.

YES, yes, yes! I loved that song. Brings back some great memories!

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    They sound alot like New England.

Anyone remember that band from the 70's?

Fox on the Run is one of my all time faves. Love it so much. The Nip Drivers do a kickin version of it too.

knothere Guest
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	2698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	2699

Gotta love the hairdos!

endsleigh03 Guest
    Anytime I hear "Fox" I crank up the volume. Love that song.
    And "Ballroom" is one of my all-time fav feel-good songs.
    I didn't know he had died.

SlippyInvader Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by knothere View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	2698Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sweet2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	2699
    Love the pics!

LeThAL iNjEcTiOn Guest
    My mum mentioned this to me a few years back that brian once lived in Blantyre,i lived in blantyre till i was 17 before venturing off to England to earn my fortune i wish .

My grandfather and i used to go to the speedway once a fortnight at shawfield stadium in Glasgow and to my delight we bumped into the late Mark Mc Manus who was happy enough to sign autographs for me and my sister.

I loved their music when I was I child.
    Some years ago I saw I picture of Brian taken not long before his death. Sadley enough, he had not aged gracefully. The years of alcohol abuse had clearly taken its toll.
    Last edited by Linnythepooh; 01-09-2008 at 07:32 AM.
    Some people just need a high five.... in the face.... with a chair...

Jersey Girl Guest
    I love Sweet! I had Desolation Boulevard and played that record all the time!
    I was such a little rock 'n roller, ha!
    I later picked up a couple CD's of them and I STILL listen to them!

hellkatt22 Guest
    http://www.thesweet.com/bcsweet.htm
    Has a pic of him later in life...

lois steeme Guest
    "Barroom Blitz" and "Fox On The Run" were my favourite Sweet songs, I loved 'em both.

"Are you ready, Andy....?"

I remember hearing about Brian C's death and feeling numb.

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    One of the guys in that band is a dad at my kid's school. (Rather not say who or where because of an odd desire to protect privacy.) He definitely stands out, looks like he's walked on the wild side...but the child is very nice and he dutifully picks it up after school, attends parents' night, etc. Never have spoken to him but one of these days I want to say, "Thanks for the memories!"

Saw said rocker in the supermarket today, he seemed to be checking out antacids. I left him alone.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnythepooh View Post
    I loved their music when I was I child.
    Some years ago I saw I picture of Brian taken not long before his death. Sadley enough, he had not aged gracefully. The years of alcohol abuse had clearly taken its toll.
    Thats a shame.

I'm rereading the book, "Dirt" by Motley Crue and Nikki Sixx names Brian as his biggest influence. He said he loved how he curled his hair under for his bangs; he thought that was the coolest thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

rickenbacker Guest
    Another extremely underrated band. I'd go so far as to say their later work was on a par with Queen. The dramatic builds, the layered vocals...Sweet was doing it pretty much at the same time.

"Love is Like Oxygen" is my favorite song by them. Hate to say it - it's the ONLY one I like by them!

Noelle Page Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lois steeme View Post
    "Barroom Blitz" and "Fox On The Run" were my favourite Sweet songs, I loved 'em both.

"Are you ready, Andy....?"

I remember hearing about Brian C's death and feeling numb.
    If I'm not mistaken, it's:

Are you ready Steve? Uh huh

Andy? Yeah

Mick? Ok.

Another song I like a lot, not heard very much, is "California Nights."

Shit. I had no idea that any of them had died. They were so good - the sound of my teens. Ballroom Blitz, Fox on the Run etc...That is really, really sad.

Noelle Page Guest
    Just wanted to bump this thread....heard "Love is Like Oxygen" on the car radio today...what a great, complex song....my teenage rocker, who has very discerning tastes, had never heard it but demanded the volume be turned up.

"Very underrated band," I sagely told him.

ratkin638 Guest
    While never a gigantic Sweet fan, I did like a number of their early singles and more of their later stuff. My funniest memory of The Sweet actually involves my dog. Her name was Willy (a long story, that one!), and I had the song "Little Willy" on several of the tape we used to play in the car. Every time that song came on, her ears would twitch the first time she heard her name and she would sit up and pay attention for the rest of the song.

Cataroo Guest
    I was living in Germany when they were HUGE -- and I LOVED them! They seemed to only garner hits with their "poppier" songs, but if you dig a little deeper you'll find that they were MUCH MORE than that!!

This is one of my favorites: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeD7V...eature=related

Unfortunately I can't find my other favs on YouTube anywhere.
    Last edited by Cataroo; 11-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Jazbabee Guest
    Whew....glad I am not the only Hag that loved Sweet. Especially Fox On The Run, Ballroom Blitz & Little Willie

Wow, I had forgotten all about these guys. What great talents, great memories to go with those songs. RIP Brian. **off to youtube**

stinkythejokedog Guest
    you can see where Motley Crue got the inspiration from...esp Mick Mars and Tommy Lee

Noelle Page Guest
    Yes, and Tommy has acknowledged that, hasn't he?

Soxmeup Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelle Page View Post
    Saw said rocker in the supermarket today, he seemed to be checking out antacids. I left him alone.
    Seeing as 1/2 of them are dead, that narrows it down a bit. Andy or Steve, depending which continent you're on.

First post on this board. Sweet was the s^it, no doubt. `Fox on the Run` and `Love is Like Oxygen` were my two faves.

Didn't know he died, loved the band. If you were to ask me what song they sang, the only one I could think of was "Fox on the Run". I had no idea they also sang "Little Willie" and "Ballroom Blitz". I don't know if I've ever heard the "Love is Like Oxygen" song, but I'm off to youtube to find out... Yep! Totally thought that was another band that sang it.
    Last edited by Dangitbawb; 12-13-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!