Thread: Theora Hix and Dr James Snook 1929

Theora Hix and Dr James Snook 1929

GIRL GONE WILD, DRUGS, SEX, DETAILS SO SCANDALOUS WE CANNOT PRINT THEM HERE: Screams headlines.
    It was known as the OJ trial of the day, who killed Theora Hix and Why?

On the morning of June 14, 1929 two young men, about 17 were walking across a field near Ohio State University, to go target shooting, in the weeds, near where a farmer was plowing his field, they stumbled across the body of a young woman, she had been shot, beaten over the head with a hammer her face smashed in and her throat slit, who was this woman and who killed her and why?

The young woman was Theora Hix, a pretty 25 year old, Medical School student at Ohio State, She was born on August 10,1904 to Dr and Mrs Hix, Theora was an outgoing girl who was very popular and fearless, she was a tennis champion on her tennis team and played golf and basketball. She never wanted to date and friends recall having to set up blind dates for her, she was considered bashful. To pay for her way through college, Theora got a job working for Dr. Snook as his stenographer.
    Theora

Witnesses came forward and recalled seeing Theora also known as "Teddy", a nickname given to her by campus friends, with a man in his forties to fifties heavily built, wearing horn rimmed glasses and driving a model T Ford Coupe. The man in question, police discovered, looked exactly like Dr. James Snook, 50 year old professor of Veterinary Medicine, as well as inventor of the Snook Hook, a device used in the spaying and neutering of animals, that is still used today, he was also a Two Time Olympic Gold Medal winner for pistol shooting.

Dr. James Snook was born Sept 17 1879 to Albert and Mary Elizabeth Snook, distant relatives of John D. Rockefeller, from a young age James was an avid shooter, he was so good in fact, that he was asked to teach police officers how to shoot, he was asked to be in the Olympics of 1920 where he won two gold medals. James was married to Helen Marple Snook, who he had married on September 11,1922, they had one daughter, Mary, who was 23 months old in 1929, the couple resided at 349 W. 10th ave, Columbus Ohio, where James was professor of Veterinary Medicine, a position he gained in 1921.

Police arrested Dr. James Snook, as one of the two suspects in the murder of Theora, when asked if he knew her, he stated that he did that she was his stenographer. As word and pictures spread through out the news of the murder, the victim and the suspects, another witness came forward, Land Lady Margaret M Smalley, she and her husband rented rooms at their rooming house and she recalls remembering renting to a salt salesman by the name of James Snook and his Wife Theora Snook, the couple told her they were from Newark. She phoned police and told them about James and Theora renting a room from her and her husband. The police then began to gather evidence from the model T Coupe that James drove, in it they found brown hair, a woman's umbrella, a ball peen hammer, and mens gloves, upon searching his home they found a pen knife with a stain, two suits that had been cleaned, a stained shirt and a stained fedora, it was later learned, from the cleaner that James had brought his suits in to be cleaned and it looked like there was blood on the cuffs and pant legs. Upon further investigation it was learned that James and Theora had been having a three year affair, James confessed to killing her but saying he only did it when she refused to break it off and that she had threatened the life of his wife and child, saying she would kill them if he left her, he claimed that they struggled in his car and she reached for her handbag where she kept a handgun, he claims during the struggle he reached for the hammer and hit her, only to stun her, but she would not stop and he kept hitting her, realizing that her skull maybe fractured he, to end her suffering, slit her throat. It took the Jury only 22 minutes to hand down a verdict of guilty, Dr. James Snook was executed on February 28, 1930, he was 51 years old.

Dr. Snook.

snook hook.
    Theora's Death Cert.

Will add more photos in 30 mins, the information is written by me, hope you like it, after a lot of research, this will be one of the stories in the book I am writing, with a lot more details, some of the information is taken from Gold Medal Killer. He is buried at Green Lawn Cemetery plot
    Grave plot 243, Section 87
    Last edited by pkstracy; 05-22-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Last edited by pkstracy; 05-22-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Theora stayed at Mack Hall during her years at college, this is what it looked like in 1928-1929, perhaps the girl who wrote this post card knew Theroa. The post card was sent Jan of 1929

Wonderful write up and pictures!
    Thanks for sharing - I've never heard of this before.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Thanks ! And. You're welcome Jim, I didn't hear about it until I started researching a topic for another book I want to write, when ever I finish the first one and this was one of the stories.

M.T. Meyers, the other man as a suspect, dated Theora, and she broke it off, he told police that the reason why she broke it off was because Dr. Snook had a bigger *ock, than him. I got to read a bit of the uncensored trial transcript, from the book, that is coming from ebay, James Snook claimed that Theora introduced him to fellatio, aphrodisiacs, and drugs, that she "corrupted" him. The link I posted next to the place where Theora lived upstairs, is a link to pictures of the trial and murder weapons and the inside of the rooming house they used as their love nest, James claims that in the car Theora was giving him oral and she was getting rough and bit him and he tried to pull her off him and she wouldn't let go, that it hurt so badly he grabbed the hammer and hit her. All these details were deemed to scandalous and vulgar to print in the papers, from what I gather someone copied the trial transcript and made a booklet,in 1929 and sold it for three to five dollars.
    Last edited by pkstracy; 05-22-2018 at 10:23 PM.