Results 1 to 26 of 26

Thread: Harry Anderson

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,010

    Harry Anderson


    Harry Anderson
    , the amiable actor who presided over the NBC comedy “Night Court” for nine seasons, has died at his home in Asheville, N.C., according to a local media report. He was 65.

    http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/harr...65-1202754949/
    BLOGS

    Brandon Lee - His life...his death...the rumors...the truth
    Growing Up Buford - Growing up in a small town would have been idyllic had my mother been Harriet Nelson instead of Joan Crawford.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Burlington,Ontario,Canada
    Posts
    2,912
    Loved him in Night Court. Way to young. RIP Harry.
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,608
    Oh no.
    Loved Harry on Night Court, and loved his magic acts.

    Saw him do a bit one time where he stuck a big hat pin through his forearm and was moving it back and forth with blood trickling down his arm.
    Some in the audience were freaking out, "It's a trick, people!" he said grinning.

    RIP, Harry.
    Throwing feces.

    Just. Don't. Do. It.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    954
    I'm not sure why you didn't seem much of him after Night Court. I hadn't thought of him in awhile.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,691
    was it "natural causes" ???
    <a href=http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg target=_blank>http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg</a>

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    954
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    was it "natural causes" ???
    I've only read that it wasn't suspected foul play.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bulldog Town
    Posts
    36,010
    I had forgotten he was on Cheers and the original IT.
    BLOGS

    Brandon Lee - His life...his death...the rumors...the truth
    Growing Up Buford - Growing up in a small town would have been idyllic had my mother been Harriet Nelson instead of Joan Crawford.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    433
    This is messed up. I liked him in "Dave's World".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    6,200
    Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    I'm not sure why you didn't seem much of him after Night Court. I hadn't thought of him in awhile.
    I was hospitalized recently and they had a channel there that was showing old episodes of Night Court. I watched it for hours. I had completely forgotten about him as well. But I was so happy to see it. He made me smile. I was reminded of him again a few days ago when someone was talking about his daughter, I guess she is an actress.

    Cindy, I didn't know that!

    RIP.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    4,815
    I used to watch it when they did reruns on t.v. really liked it wonder what he died from? Natural causes at 65 hmmmm.
    "My Darling Girl ,when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." ~Aunt Frances~
    And It Harm None Do What ye will. Wise Intelligent Teacher Courageous Healer. #METOO

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Where East meets West
    Posts
    1,798
    I'm shocked by this one! He did a terrific job on NC, never saw Dave's World,and then he just disappeared.
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    2
    A poster on another forum reports that, via info from Shadoe Stevens, it was a stroke that got him. The second in about a week.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I had forgotten he was on Cheers and the original IT.
    I so enjoyed him in the early episodes of Cheers as "Harry the Hat"
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    433
    I don't know why I should care about him at all. He did seem to be such a nice guy I guess. I never watched Night Court because sitcoms just drive me batty for some reason (I think "Laverne & Shirley" tainted me). I do remember him from "Dave's World" which is I suppose a sitcom but the lightest, fluffiest kind. Mostly when I think of Dave's World I remember that era in my life which was kinda cool (mid to late 1990's), so I suppose Harry Anderson was an anchor to a memorable era in my life. I am a big Dave Barry fan so maybe I associate the two.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by boilly View Post
    A poster on another forum reports that, via info from Shadoe Stevens, it was a stroke that got him. The second in about a week.
    Okay- can I see a show of hands? Why are so many Boomers dying? My guess is the mess of unneeded and dangerous pharmaceuticals with names no ones can pronounce. I really think this.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    I'm shocked by this one! He did a terrific job on NC, never saw Dave's World,and then he just disappeared.
    I would say Dave's World was a sitcom for fans of Dave Barry and also for people who dislike sitcoms. l'll bet it's on DVD.

    I saw him somewhere on video in the last year or two. I watch so much YouTube I just can't remember. Maybe a podcast? He looked as we remember him but older obviously and with an odd hat.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    was it "natural causes" ???
    This is a very good point, what does "natural causes"
    even mean?
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,608
    Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    Okay- can I see a show of hands? Why are so many Boomers dying? My guess is the mess of unneeded and dangerous pharmaceuticals with names no ones can pronounce. I really think this.
    Maybe so.
    Maybe all the additives in food, stress levels - always connected - maybe the invisible blue light from phones and computer screens upsets something internally; IDK. My boss died suddenly a month ago - 45 years old, seemingly healthy as a horse - BOOM!, gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    This is a very good point, what does "natural causes"
    even mean?
    I suppose that means something like death brought about prematurely by external influences or actions, intended or otherwise; as opposed to some critical internal life support system failing of it's own accord.

    But yeah, it's all natural in a sense.
    Take too much heroin, you will die; naturally.

    All deaths are natural - except maybe for death by misadventure; nothing natural about death by misadventure.

    I don't really believe in fate or karma or predestination, but I do think that we only go when our time comes.
    Throwing feces.

    Just. Don't. Do. It.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,450
    Back in the early 1990s, a friend of mine who was a professional magician scored a block of 12 free tickets to the Magic Castle here in Los Angeles on Halloween Night. The act that night was shrouded in mystery and no one knew who would be performing. The only catch in going was that we had to buy three drinks that night. We went and it was weird because we had to order all three drinks ahead of time and they brought them all at once! I was kind of pissed off, but when they dimmed the lights, the magician was none other than Harry Anderson! The crowd went wild and he put on a really good show for almost two hours, a rarity at the Magic Castle. It was a mixture of magic and stand-up comedy and I was very impressed, and well worth my three drinks brought all at once! I remember at the end of his act, everything went dark and the audience had cold, wet spaghetti thrown on them for about five minutes. It was a great night that I will remember fondly.

    I read on another site that Harry Anderson had a very bad case of the Flu in January, and then shortly afterward had suffered several strokes. I did not read about him having a recent stroke these last few weeks. On a personal note, the Flu has hit our family very badly this year. My aunt in Minnesota died in January from the Flu and we are actually attending her Celebration of Life next week. And although we do not yet have the official Cause of Death back yet from the Los Angeles County Coroner yet, my sister who was only 59, is suspected of dying of the Flu just last month on March 7th. Harry Anderson could have also been yet another victim of this awful, awful Flu this year as well.

    Rest in peace, Harry Anderson, you will be missed.
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    433
    I was afraid someone would mention that flu. I remember getting really intensely uncomfortable and rather ill for one memorable day or so in January and I used a home remedy to fix it (I won't share it here; I'm not an MD!). I do think the remedy brought the sickness to a quick end though. I took the remedy early in the day and it was a wild, wild ride. I took notes on it, it was so crazy:

    I could not sleep
    I was not hungry! (That is odd in itself)
    Aching crawling skin
    Intensely cold, despite being under a pile of quilts.
    Agitation, infantilism (I reverted to a childlike emotional state for a bit)
    General discomfort
    Cramps in my stomach

    By 9:30 PM I was quite a bit better but I needed to be at work at 10:00 PM and went to the website. The dropdown box said either Tardy or Abgsent. I soooo wanted to click Absent but I just did Tardy. That night at work I took the usual Orange Sunshine (Vick's DayQuil imitation; very effective usually) and suffered through the night. Note that I was much better by that time but still suffering. And like the flu does, as the night progressed the pain progressed and I was glad to go home that morning. That was also my first day of vacation and I was afraid it would be ruined by the sickness. But I healed very quickly and the vacation was wonderful (but cold). This same time a coworker was out sick for a week, and she's the type never to miss.

    I am about 50 and in good shape.

    In the back of my mind I suspected the damned flu. My favorite radio guy died from the flu when I was on vacation (January 6th-January 12th). This was out of the blue. He was 61 and I as far as I know in good health. But I don't know what his true health was. Maybe he was fragile? Was Harry Anderson in good health?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    433
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post
    Back in the early 1990s, a friend of mine who was a professional magician scored a block of 12 free tickets to the Magic Castle here in Los Angeles on Halloween Night. The act that night was shrouded in mystery and no one knew who would be performing. The only catch in going was that we had to buy three drinks that night. We went and it was weird because we had to order all three drinks ahead of time and they brought them all at once! I was kind of pissed off, but when they dimmed the lights, the magician was none other than Harry Anderson! The crowd went wild and he put on a really good show for almost two hours, a rarity at the Magic Castle. It was a mixture of magic and stand-up comedy and I was very impressed, and well worth my three drinks brought all at once! I remember at the end of his act, everything went dark and the audience had cold, wet spaghetti thrown on them for about five minutes. It was a great night that I will remember fondly.

    I read on another site that Harry Anderson had a very bad case of the Flu in January, and then shortly afterward had suffered several strokes. I did not read about him having a recent stroke these last few weeks. On a personal note, the Flu has hit our family very badly this year. My aunt in Minnesota died in January from the Flu and we are actually attending her Celebration of Life next week. And although we do not yet have the official Cause of Death back yet from the Los Angeles County Coroner yet, my sister who was only 59, is suspected of dying of the Flu just last month on March 7th. Harry Anderson could have also been yet another victim of this awful, awful Flu this year as well.

    Rest in peace, Harry Anderson, you will be missed.
    Wonderful story GeekyGirl and you are a lucky person.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    954
    Just so I don't have to recopy it, yes, cool story. That would have been a memorable evening.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,691
    "BEEP BEEP RICHIE!" loved him, IT



    <a href=http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg target=_blank>http://i42.tinypic.com/etsi8j.jpg</a>

  24. #24
    RIP Harry.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    2,450
    Quote Originally Posted by geekygirl View Post

    I read on another site that Harry Anderson had a very bad case of the Flu in January, and then shortly afterward had suffered several strokes. I did not read about him having a recent stroke these last few weeks. On a personal note, the Flu has hit our family very badly this year. My aunt in Minnesota died in January from the Flu and we are actually attending her Celebration of Life next week. And although we do not yet have the official Cause of Death back yet from the Los Angeles County Coroner yet, my sister who was only 59, is suspected of dying of the Flu just last month on March 7th. Harry Anderson could have also been yet another victim of this awful, awful Flu this year as well.
    I saw Harry's Death Certificate on another website and it turns out the Flu was a contributing factor. WTF!
    Any day above ground is a good day.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    toronto, canada ( Etobicoke)
    Posts
    3,988
    Cause of death was a stroke brought on by the flu and heart disease. Death certificate attached.

    http://www.tmz.com/2018/04/24/night-...h-certificate/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •