Thread: Billy Graham

Billy Graham

Influential evangelist Billy Graham has died at 99, according to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association.

He died in North Carolina.

Although he was known as “America’s Pastor,” Graham had a huge global following through his radio and television ministry.

http://www.ajc.com/lifestyles/evange...78gvVnCvglaWL/

Last edited by cindyt; 02-21-2018 at 07:18 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Crud..... I really hate to hear this. Rest in peace, Mr. Graham, and may you enjoy eternity in Heaven!!!
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

RIP.

I have to admit that I thought he was already gone.
    My mother loved Billy Graham - I still remember his revivals playing on the TV when I was a kid.

RIP.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

I had a teacher in high school who judged him because he wore $1,000 suits and lived in a mountain house, Montreat, east of Ashville, NC. So what? Nothing wrong with being rich. God judges people on how much they give in relation to how much they have, and who knows how much this man gave back. I really came to admire him back during the Jim Bakker thingy, when PTL and other religious organizations were squirrely about opening their financial books, but Billy Graham offered his for inspection.

He was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease in 1992. And died of natural causes.

There won't ever be another like him.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Around 1975 I would go to the local Country Club and caddy. One day Billy Graham came in to play golf. He was holding one of this rallies nearby. He picked the kid that lived up the street from me. He was a good bit older than me. He had pretty long hair and a bit of a hippy look about him. We sort of joked that He would have to listen to 18 holes of preaching.

The guy said he never once mentioned religion and tipped him well. That probably had a bigger impact.

7. 02-22-2018, 05:10 AM
    Reason
    Spam

Seems like he alone among evangelists was really respectable. We all make little faces when we think of Jim Bakker or Jimmy Swaggart, but not Mr Graham. I thought years ago when Ruth died he must have just been bereft. So they are together again.

He and John R. Rice are the only evangelists I trust.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I do too, Mr. Clean.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Right or wrong, he's the only one that I felt was legit instead of a con running a scam.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Right or wrong, he's the only one that I felt was legit instead of a con running a scam.
    Exactly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

14. 02-27-2018, 02:02 PM
    Reason
    Spam

I went to one of his famous Crusades and it was an unforgettable experience .He spoke with such passion and sincerity , it was really powerful .We sang "Majesty ,worship His Majesty " and many people were moved to tears .RIP .

An interesting article about the Caskets made for Ruth and Billy. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...cid=spartandhp
    Last edited by cleanskull; 03-02-2018 at 09:06 PM.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I know this is a bit off-topic but......check out Pastor/Evangelist, Greg Laurie. He's also a man that I admire greatly because he, also, is definitely not a con. He's the leader of the "Harvest" crusades that are usually held in California. He recently produced a DVD of Steve McQueen's life & career with the focus on McQueen becoming a Christian shortly before his death. McQueen is/was another who greatly admired Dr. Billy Graham and he told Dr. Graham of his conversion to Christianity. When McQueen died of Mesothelioma in the very early morning hours of November 7, 1980, he was holding Billy Grahan's Bible in his hands. Pastor Greg, a huge McQueen fan and admirer of Dr. Graham's, can be seen going through that very Bible in the new DVD, "Steve McQueen: American Icon."

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    I know this is a bit off-topic but......check out Pastor/Evangelist, Greg Laurie. He's also a man that I admire greatly because he, also, is definitely not a con. He's the leader of the "Harvest" crusades that are usually held in California. He recently produced a DVD of Steve McQueen's life & career with the focus on McQueen becoming a Christian shortly before his death. McQueen is/was another who greatly admired Dr. Billy Graham and he told Dr. Graham of his conversion to Christianity. When McQueen died of Mesothelioma in the very early morning hours of November 7, 1980, he was holding Billy Grahan's Bible in his hands. Pastor Greg, a huge McQueen fan and admirer of Dr. Graham's, can be seen going through that very Bible in the new DVD, "Steve McQueen: American Icon."

Thanks for that , it was interesting .Another person who I think is a great evangelist is Nick Vujicic .He was born with no limbs and his story is amazing .He's American but travels the world spreading God's word - he is also the father of 4 kids

Quote Originally Posted by cleanskull View Post
    An interesting article about the Caskets made for Roth and Billy. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/th...cid=spartandhp
    Interesting indeed; thanks for the link.

20. 03-23-2018, 11:57 AM
    Reason
    Spam

Remember him talking to Richard Nixon they
    have it on tape.
    He was a very hateful man.(just like his son)
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    have it on tape.
    I never found him hateful. I guess it depends on what side of the turnip patch you're on.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

have it on tape.
    THANK you!

Saying he was better than Jim Bakker or Jimmy Swaggart is not just setting the bar low; it's setting it UNDERGROUND.

Dude was a sycophant who never met a President's ass he didn't want to kiss.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    THANK you!

Saying he was better than Jim Bakker or Jimmy Swaggart is not just setting the bar low; it's setting it UNDERGROUND.

There was a huge difference in what Graham did and what others do. Graham admitted he allowed his ego to get in his way concerning Nixon. He understood he had been used and he did not allow it to happen again. In a public life that extended into 7 decades, this is the only episode anyone can point to. Pretty impressive for a human. There are not repeated lies, repeated actions.

He went and visited other presidents but he did not have anything to do with advising them like with Nixon. He stayed completely away from the politics. Nobody, not even Billy Graham is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    There was a huge difference in what Graham did and what others do. Graham admitted he allowed his ego to get in his way concerning Nixon. He understood he had been used and he did not allow it to happen again. In a public life that extended into 7 decades, this is the only episode anyone can point to. Pretty impressive for a human. There are not repeated lies, repeated actions.

He went and visited other presidents but he did not have anything to do with advising them like with Nixon. He stayed completely away from the politics. Nobody, not even Billy Graham is perfect.
    THANK YOU!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/21/us/10...ham/index.html
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post

Oh lord! This means maybe if you go to Heaven you get to be there with Steve McQueen! That's cool. I wouldn't want to meet someone, like, Alec Baldwin.

Graham himself in his later years said he "SOMETIMES crossed the line" with politics. Sometimes is more than once. Anyway, I didn't say anything about his attempts to influence policy re: Vietnam, or the anti-Semitic comments caught on tape. I just said he was a sycophant.

And I didn't say there WASN'T a "huge difference" between Graham and sleazy televangelists; what I was suggesting is that if you say somebody is a better person than somebody who is a horrible person, that's not actually much of a compliment.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Graham himself in his later years said he "SOMETIMES crossed the line" with politics. Sometimes is more than once. Anyway, I didn't say anything about his attempts to influence policy re: Vietnam, or the anti-Semitic comments caught on tape. I just said he was a sycophant.

And I didn't say there WASN'T a "huge difference" between Graham and sleazy televangelists; what I was suggesting is that if you say somebody is a better person than somebody who is a horrible person, that's not actually much of a compliment.
    Compared to the vast majority of people that were in the public spotlight as long as Graham was, Graham is pretty high up there.

THANK you!

True, he would so love Donald Trump today.(two peas in a pod)
    just like his son Franklin has in 2018.

True, he would so love Donald Trump today.(two peas in a pod)
    just like his son Franklin has in 2018.
    Billy and Franklin were very different people. I will defend Billy's mistake as he owned it and did not do it again. Nobody is perfect. I will not defend anything Franklin does.

Billy and Franklin were very different people. I will defend Billy's mistake as he owned it and did not do it again. Nobody is perfect. I will not defend anything Franklin does.
    Ditto
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Billy Graham did get involved with politics once. When North Carolina was voting on same sex marriages Graham did tell people to vote against it.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    I had a teacher in high school who judged him because he wore $1,000 suits and lived in a mountain house, Montreat, east of Ashville, NC. So what? Nothing wrong with being rich. God judges people on how much they give in relation to how much they have, and who knows how much this man gave back. I really came to admire him back during the Jim Bakker thingy, when PTL and other religious organizations were squirrely about opening their financial books, but Billy Graham offered his for inspection.

He was diagnosed with Parkinson Disease in 1992. And died of natural causes.

There won't ever be another like him.
    When my family moved from New England to Charlotte in the late 70’s, Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker were running the PTL Club a mere quarter mile away. We had never seen such shenanigans in the name of God! My dad used to watch it and eat popcorn. I worked at the mall Tammy Faye frequented, and the demands she made and money she spent were legendary. When they went off the rails, it was big and ugly.

When Billy Graham died, I had to plan my excursions carefully, because I live close enough to the library to be delayed by streets lined with people wanting a glimpse of the hearse.

I’m not at all a religious person, but I think the comparisons speak for themselves.

All evangelists are terrible people. They're all interested in empire building.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    All lawyers are crooked, all politicians are lawyers, all Germans are...

Exactly.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

whatever

So true, It's sad about all the simple minded
    fools they scam money from year after year.

So true, It's sad about all the simple minded
    fools they scam money from year after year.
    The only people who pay heed to evangelists are Americans and Africans. Don't ask me why.
    Last edited by cash; 06-20-2018 at 07:33 PM.

The only people who pay heed to evangelists are Americans and Africans. Don't as me why.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD