Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadliest Catch

ozzysmom Guest

Deadliest Catch

It's starting right now...I really love this show, and I don't even like crab.....any thoughts????
    It's really cool (no pun intended) to watch this show on HD!!! Very scary!!
    i got really interested in this show after I watched that movie, "The Perfect Storm", I had no idea that these true fishermen went through all that just so we could enjoy a meal.....hats off to them!!!
    Last edited by ozzysmom; 04-15-2008 at 06:11 PM.

marimbagirl Guest
    I love this show. They're so intense about what they do and they don't cut anyone any slack.

The truck was frigging hilarious.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Happy Squid Guest
    I crabbed and fished in the Bering Sea for about 10 years. I can't watch it because I lived it. From what I've seen, the show really doesn't do it justice. Throw in some -50ยบ temps, and 24 hour workdays with a few hours nap in between, and it's getting close. That being said, I'll eat crab, lobster, sashimi, and almost any seafood at any time.

5. 04-16-2008, 06:41 AM

bluebear71 Guest
    I'm just glad the show finally came back. Someone had mentioned it may be cancelled and I thought it was a shame.

Very intense way to earn a living. The people that do it, must have a REAL love for the trade.

**Jenna** Guest
    My husband and I watch that. At first it annoyed me. Now I find it quite interesting. Don't like that young guy Blake,he just seems cocky. I think the guy I like is Jonathan from the Time Bandit? Don't know it that's the right name of the boat. I get confused still on who's on what boat .

BigBootyJudy Guest
    My husband and I love this show! The gag with the car on the end of the line was classic. We started watching the series from the beginning a few years ago and its just amazing what they go through to put our crab on the tables. I used to get really annoyed at the price of king crab but after watching this show I gladly pay even though they only get a few dollars a pound its still so worth it.
    Last edited by BigBootyJudy; 04-16-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Great show.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

marimbagirl Guest
    I also liked the show that History Channel had about the truckers that were driving across the ice to get to the diamond mines. It reminded me a lot of Deadliest Catch.

BigBootyJudy Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by marimbagirl View Post
    I also liked the show that History Channel had about the truckers that were driving across the ice to get to the diamond mines. It reminded me a lot of Deadliest Catch.

Ice Road Truckers! That show was pretty good too. I could not believe how cold they were saying it was up there ! No thanks, I am a California girl through and through! LOL

MorbidMolly Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    It's starting right now...I really love this show, and I don't even like crab.....any thoughts????
    It's really cool (no pun intended) to watch this show on HD!!! Very scary!!
    i got really interested in this show after I watched that movie, "The Perfect Storm", I had no idea that these true fishermen went through all that just so we could enjoy a meal.....hats off to them!!!

How eerie.....that is exactly why I started watching, because of the movie the Perfect Storm..........I seriously dig this show......these guys are beyond crazy, but as far as reality shows it`s by far the best in my books......no sniveling rich bitches crying over daddy not buying them a car, these are real men and there have been real deaths........awesome, awesome show

Lita Guest
    I missed the show last night. I was under the impression that the show wasn't coming back for a third season but I'm glad that my "source" was wrong. It seems that at least once in every show I find myself thinking "Boring. You seen them catch crab once, you seen it a million times." but then something happens that really hits home how much danger these guys are in.

Sylkyn Guest
    Haha! I can't believe this thread is here. This show is my new tv addiction (my first being, and will always be "Hell's Kitchen. Rawr, GR!). My honey and I are pissed that they come on on the same day at the same time so we have to catch up on Saturdays...luckily we CAN do that.

My all time favorite Captain is Phil from the Cornelia Marie (he just was BORN to be a salty sea Captain, wasn't he?) and right behind him I love Johnathon from Time Bandit. They just fit the bill so perfectly. And the deckhands work those asses off. But it's great money...even if they do work like slaves! I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world.

I'm a huge puss that way.

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylkyn View Post
    Haha! I can't believe this thread is here.

My all time favorite Captain is Phil from the Cornelia Marie (he just was BORN to be a salty sea Captain, wasn't he?) and right behind him I love Johnathon from Time Bandit. They just fit the bill so perfectly. And the deckhands work those asses off. But it's great money...even if they do work like slaves! I wouldn't do it for all the money in the world.

I'm a huge puss that way.
    Those are the two my husband and I like. For some crazy reason i find Johnathon cute!

ozzysmom Guest
    I think that Sig Hansen's brother (I forget his name), is SUCH a doll.....I'd love to give him a full body massage after all that fishing he does....oh baby!!!

BigBootyJudy Guest
    I think that Andy Hillstrand from the Time Bandit is HOT. I guess when he is not fishing he is a cowboy too! Could it get any better? lol

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBootyJudy View Post
    I think that Andy Hillstrand from the Time Bandit is HOT. I guess when he is not fishing he is a cowboy too! Could it get any better? lol

I just love me some tough guys....

**Jenna** Guest
    Oh yeah

NOVSTORM Guest
    My middle step son worked on the Berring Sea too . He was a mate on a couple of ships and went thru a few storms but not like the ones we see on TV. He loved it.
    But he woulod not eat fish for years LOL A friend in Jupiter Fl was part of the crew on a boat that the movie "the big storm" was made about. They made it to shore and had lots of damage but he gave the sea life up after that. He wasn't going thru that again. I have a great respect for the ocean, I swim and dive but I made myself do it because I was so afraid of the water. I probably would have just died from looking at one of those waves.

Lisamarie Guest
    Oh wow I love these guys!!! They are amazing ! I met one once and it was a day before he was leaving and he was real down about it...I always wondered how he made out! Ill tell ya what tho..I will nevber eat crab the same way again! These guys are risking their lives for Red Lobster! Lol!!!! And I love them for it! Cause I love crab!!!!

Tugboat25 Guest
    Where was Blake Painter and the Maverick?
    I guess they were eliminated from the show which is fine by me because there was something about Blake Painter that I didn't care for.

Update: Apparently Capt. Blake got his own boat the "Tradition" and he fishes salmon and herring. He didn't like how he was portrayed in the show either.

I say goodbye and good riddance! The pretty boy couldn't take the cameras! Not to mention how he was exposed asking and telling crabbing locations over the radio and miscounting the crab haul which cost The Maverick thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by Tugboat25; 04-17-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Love this show.
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

marimbagirl Guest
    I was watching it today and there was an episode about a 60 ft wave hitting one of the boats with a film crew aboard. I think it was the Aluetian? It said something about it being tipped onto it's side and being crippled. Anyone know know what happened to the boat?

Tugboat25 Guest
    I was watching it today and there was an episode about a 60 ft wave hitting one of the boats with a film crew aboard. I think it was the Aluetian? It said something about it being tipped onto it's side and being crippled. Anyone know know what happened to the boat?
    Was that the ship that corrected itself after the wave hit it?
    I'm thinking it is but I'm not sure.

marimbagirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Was that the ship that corrected itself after the wave hit it?
    I'm thinking it is but I'm not sure.
    I don't know. It was one of the smaller boats. It happened at the end of an episode and they didn't show the next part!

**Jenna** Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tugboat25 View Post
    Where was Blake Painter and the Maverick?
    I guess they were eliminated from the show which is fine by me because there was something about Blake Painter that I didn't care for.

Update: Apparently Capt. Blake got his own boat the "Tradition" and he fishes salmon and herring. He didn't like how he was portrayed in the show either.

I say goodbye and good riddance! The pretty boy couldn't take the cameras! Not to mention how he was exposed asking and telling crabbing locations over the radio and miscounting the crab haul which cost The Maverick thousands of dollars.
    I didn't like Blake,I'm glad he's gone. I wondered where he was at.

ozzysmom Guest

The ship was able to right itself....everyone was fine...but the camera man was not a regular camera man....he was one of the fishermen who was given a camera...pretty cool footage!!!!

Mrs F Guest
    I am so glad others are watching this show! We have a little party every time a new episode comes on, my husband and I are hooked!

Happy Squid Guest
    I have some kodak prints from my first trip out for Red Kings. I'll scan them, and show you what pushing around 500 lb pots on a rolling deck is really like. I'm glad you all like the show, but don't pretend they are doing it "so you can have a meal". They are doing it so they can have a wad of $100's in their pocket as big as your fist. I just wonder if the system has changed so much in the last 15 years that they fish in spring and summer. I was always out in winter.

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Squid View Post
    I have some kodak prints from my first trip out for Red Kings. I'll scan them, and show you what pushing around 500 lb pots on a rolling deck is really like. I'm glad you all like the show, but don't pretend they are doing it "so you can have a meal". They are doing it so they can have a wad of $100's in their pocket as big as your fist. I just wonder if the system has changed so much in the last 15 years that they fish in spring and summer. I was always out in winter.
    I do not know fishing schedules but I believe they film during the winter (late fall) and air in springtime.
    I'm not sure anyone thinks the guys are out there for our dinner enjoyment. I always thought it was all about the money.

Happy Squid Guest
    I was wearing about 5 sweaters and 4 pairs of sweatpants under my Mustang Suit, and an oversize parka over it, and I was still freezing. I don't watch the show, but there was always about 6 inches of ice covering the deck and pots, and we had to bash the ice off the equipment and railings with aluminum baseball bats to keep from listing port or starboard. This doesn't really resemble the crabbing I did, then again, I fished about 1986-1994 or so. It must be different now.

interrestedintn Guest
    I love the show. My cousin lives in Sitka, Alaska. Her man has his own fishing boat and he makes a killing. She's a marine biologist and works for Alaska fish and game so, they do well for themselves. He doesn't crab though.....too dangerous. Most of those guys on the show live elsewhere and just go up there for the season. There's good money in it if you're willing to take the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzysmom View Post
    I think that Sig Hansen's brother (I forget his name), is SUCH a doll.....I'd love to give him a full body massage after all that fishing he does....oh baby!!!

that's Edgar...and i so agree with that! I love his attitude...it so completely different from his brother Sig. And Cap't Phil from the Cornelia Marie is is just plain cool....I would love to hang with all these guys at the bar any day..
    "Go to Heaven for the climate - Hell for the company" - Mark Twain

ozzysmom Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrwzeigle View Post
    that's Edgar...and i so agree with that! I love his attitude...it so completely different from his brother Sig. And Cap't Phil from the Cornelia Marie is is just plain cool....I would love to hang with all these guys at the bar any day..

That's right, Edgar. I think I blocked his name from my memory cuz he doesn't really look like an Edgar. Sig annoys me, maybe it's cuz he comes off as arrogant, and if there's one thing I CANNOT stand it's an arrogant man. But he is the captain and he's got to be a very take charge kind of guy to do what he does.
    Phil on the Cornelia Marie is soooo cool. I would totally like to have a drink with him. His son Jake is on the ship too. He's a little cutie pie. Tough kid but he seems so quiet and maybe a little shy.

Kugmu Guest
    Ya know...it just doesn't seem so good this year.
    But i'll still be watching it!
    One of the few shows on TV I watch.

Kugmu Guest
    And the new season has begun!

Kugmu Guest
    This could turn out to be an interesting season.
    Already drama from the Corneila Marie and Wizard

GAdeathhag Guest
    I am excited as well--- i love Phil and Sig-- hope captain Keith will be ok after diving and getting hit by his boat-- good lord-- I cannot believe they left me hanging like that

Sylkyn Guest
    Oh gosh yeah...my boyfriend and I were riveted to the screen last night. I got all freaked about Keith knocking his head on the bottom of the boat. I KNOW that shit hurt. lol and Yeah, GAdeathhag, I was going, WHAT? Cliffhanger already??

I just love this show. Now I'll be living for Tuesday nights again!

What about Johnathan Hillstrand? He is definitely worth a mention!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

I love this show! Captain Phil is my favorite, haven't seen last night's epi, but heard his health issues are not resolved .

I'm allergic to seafood, to the catch itself is not appealing, but there is plenty to watch on the deck . My best friend and several of his friends play "which deckhand/captain would you do" which is quite hilarious, because it sounds like my friends and I arguing over the Monkees when we were little....

burgtwngrl Guest

Love this show!!!!!

I'm so happy season 5 is beginning I never miss an Episode I even watch the Re runs...

I'm so upset that Phil was left behind....

Looks like Keith is going to have a bad season as well. Wonder if he forgot the empty cup o noodles cup again this year????

burgtwngrl Guest
    SIG is Delicious

Quote Originally Posted by burgtwngrl View Post
    I'm so happy season 5 is beginning I never miss an Episode I even watch the Re runs...

I'm so upset that Phil was left behind....

Looks like Keith is going to have a bad season as well. Wonder if he forgot the empty cup o noodles cup again this year????
    Just watched the episode, had to brace myself for my reality tv husband, Captain Phil, to take his leave from me **soft, gentle, sobs**

But, the BOONNG Keith's head made against the boat was startling. I would guess he has a concussion, at the very least.

I guess Captain Andy will be my new husband this season. But I will wear a black veil for Phil as I watch......

What about Johnathan? What a hottie!
    Wanna see my grandkids?

My wife and I love this show. We never miss an episode.

atlantis Guest
    LOVE THIS SHOW! A few years ago, my husband and I had just gotten home from eating out on Mother's Day. We were surfing the channels and came upon an all-day marathon of this show. We had never heard of it so you can imagine our shock when we saw what they were doing. We started watching about 12:30 pm and watched until about 10 that night. We have been hooked ever since. And we don't even like crab.

There are two things I know I would not do for all the money in the universe...be an astronaut and do what these guys do.

I guess I love Jonathan/Time Bandit the most. He seems like such a sweetie but a kick-ass captain. And he's cute. His brother Andy is a BIG OLE CUTIE! Remember the episode when they talked about their father dying and them burying him on that mountain top???? God, that must have been awful. I cried...

Sig is pretty hot (in some weird, swedish asshole way and I bet he was a lot hotter when he was younger) but I would NOT want to be on his boat. He is just a bit dickish. Have y'all noticed his wife when they come home? She (from what I've seen) looks like a totally hot blonde.

And then there's Phil...LOVE HIM LOVE HIM LOVE HIM!!!!!!!! I am sooooo upset that he can't go out this season. That's the first time it's happened in his whole career. Poor baby. He reminds me off an ex-boss of mine. And Phil's boys are so cute. The younger one is just a baby-faced cutie patootie. The older one is a doll, too. Did y'all see the one where Phil was showing pics of them when they were younger.....AWWWWWWWWWWWW! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO PRECIOUS!!!!!

The first few times I watched the show, there was one episode where Sig's daughter was on board (but off camera) and a rogue wave hit his boat. Damn thing nearly capsized. He immediately called out to his daughter and she was okay. I could NOT let my kids go with me to do that. They could die soooo easily. I can't believe their mom's let them go.

They are having a fan show in North Seattle this weekend and I am hoping to go! The boats, Capatains and Deckhands should be there.
    Wanna see my grandkids?

STsFirstmate Guest
    I have been a fan since the first season and one of the boats that was featured for the first season sank with one survivor during the first week.
    No camera men were on board but they had footage of all the crew getting the boat ready and the Captain downplaying the dangers.
    The boat was "The Big Valley".
    http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/2007/03/27/

It is a really dangerous occupation.
    Regards,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Karma View Post
    They are having a fan show in North Seattle this weekend and I am hoping to go! The boats, Capatains and Deckhands should be there.
    Oooh! {{{Maxy packing her gear, prepping to stow away}}} sounds like fun-take lots of pictures!!