Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Girl Scout Murders in Oklahoma 1977

jbattle Guest

Cool Girl Scout Murders in Oklahoma 1977

Back in 1977 - 3 little girls were murdered at Camp Scott near Locust Grove, OK. This case remains unsolved after 30 years and every so often the news media brings it up, but always without any results. I was wondering (1) If any readers ever heard of this crime (2) Has any readers ever heard of similiar crimes involving summer camp? There is a rumor (or Urban Legend) that the "Friday the 13th "Jason" " movies stemmed from this horrible incident. Camp Counselors not paying attention.....
    Thanks,
    JBattle

tensecondstolove Guest
    Never heard of it. But it does sound interesting. Hopefully someone can find an article or something!

Ishouldbeashamedofmyself Guest
    I do remember this, but I thought they did find the killer.

ReluctantDeathHag Guest

Girl Scouts

They never "found" the murderer although a man was tried and acquitted for the crimes by the name of Gene Leroy Hart. There are several theories as to who actually committed these heinous crimes but nobody will ever know for sure (some theories involve a guy named Bill Stevens who was said to have "confessed" in prison). Tragic.

Jenny Mulhenny Guest

Jazbabee Guest
    Damn....to think of all those summers I went to Girl Scout camp

Quote Originally Posted by Jazbabee View Post
    Damn....to think of all those summers I went to Girl Scout camp
    Me, too! We usually slept with the canvas sides rolled up, too, so the only thing between us and the outside was our mosquito netting. Gulp!

It sounds like from the first article that the opinion (at least of the writer) is that they got the guilty guy the first time, but they hope new DNA testing will prove or disprove him as the culprit.

Thanks for the link. A horrible and very sad crime!

Area Man Guest
    I believe that it was almost certain that Gene Leroy Hart (an American Indian vagrant/drunk) committed the crimes. It was a real OJ Simpson type-trial where his supporters cared more about him getting off because of his race. He went to prison for a sex-related assault crime and dropped dead of a heart attack in his late 30's. The investigators involved state that there is no doubt it was him, but he got off due to racism etc. There was a mass of incriminating evidence (boots matched prints, he had some items in his possession, etc.). That's why it is a closed case at this point.
    Last edited by Area Man; 01-02-2008 at 06:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
    I believe that it was almost certain that Gary Leroy Hart (an American Indian vagrant/drunk) committed the crimes. It was a real OJ Simpson type-trial where his supporters cared more about him getting off because of his race. He went to prison for a sex-related assault crime and dropped dead of a heart attack in his late 30's. The investigators involved state that there is no doubt it was him, but he got off due to racism etc. There was a mass of incriminating evidence (boots matched prints, he had some items in his possession, etc.). That's why it is a closed case at this point.
    I see! Thank you for the background on the suspect. I thought the slant of the article was curious, so I thought either general opinion was that he was guilty or there was some evidence he was guilty. I hope the new tests are conclusive! It's too bad he's not around to be brought into court again, but I hope some answers will bring at least a little peace to the families.

ReluctantDeathHag Guest
    I was at the "girl scout camping age" when all this went down. I am sure my parents must have heard of this story. I wasn't allowed to go to Girl Scout camps. I was never given an explanation as to why...I just wasn't allowed to go! I bet this is why. I remember my mom saying something about little girl scouts being snatched out of the woods which made me frightened to walk to our weekly Girl Scout meetings because I had to walk through a wooded path to get there. My mom (bless her soul) was an ultimate original death hag! By the way, if you read on Bill Stevens there is A LOT of compelling evidence for him being the perp as well. The DNA tests did come back but the DA refused to release them for whatever reason. Consensus is - it must be Hart because if it exonorated him they would have been shouting it from the roof tops. Happy New Year!

marimbagirl Guest
    I was just at this place the other day! I grew up in Oklahoma City, a few years after it happened, but I was never allowed to go to girl scout camp. People around here still talk about it.

Lisamarie Guest
    I remeber crime scene photos any one know where they are available ?? Who do we think did this ?? And why did he single the one little girl out? Why kill the other little gilrs?? I wonder if there was more than one killer.....so many questions.....these type of cases make me sick....thats growling from the woods...Jesus.....

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Y'all I found a really great thread on the A&E message boards. It even has a post from the girl who was supposed to have been the fourth girl in the tent and lots of info from Oklahomans with various connections to the case.
    http://boards.aetv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=100001959

If you don't want to read it all, here's the story of the fourth girl, Melanie.

My name is Melanie, I am the 4th camper that was supposed to be in Kiowa that fateful night. I can only tell you what I know.

Because my birthdate is in December, they wrongfully put me in the older age group, (12-15) and the Seminole Camp Unit. I was scheduled to be moved the next day because of the storm. It was a very typical Oklahoma thunderstorm that night. Being June and the sun doesn't set until late, we all left dinner with it still light although the storms were in. I was told by my CIT that because of the storms I would be moved to Kiowa the following day when it would be easier and to stay put where I was with 4 other girls that night. (Please understand that these are above ground tents, open on all sides minus tiedowns and layed out for 4 cots, (no bunk beds) all against the edges of the tent. Because I was the young one, they were all older than me, I ended up sleeping on the floor. My best friend Maria at the times' older sister Lisa was in the tent as well and knew that the next day I would be with the kids my own age. At that age, 2 years is a huge age difference.

The storm was really one of those typical Oklahoma summer storms. We all shared one common shower area with troughlike watering areas for washing your face, brushing your teeth etc. We all went to bed, at about 10pm, my new bunkmate woke up wheezing, I sat up and said if she was ok. She said no and that she had to go to the wishing well, (the infirmary) which was down Cookie Lane. Remember we are at Girl Scout Camp. I tell her that I would go with her, it was still storming, the big raindrops that actually for a kid in the summer are nice. We got to the Wishing Well, she got her medicine and we headed back to our tent.

Nothing was out of the ordinary, no sounds other than the rain which was heavy. no flashlights, odd anything... We got back to out tent safely and went to sleep. At approximately and I say approximately because when you are 12 you don't wear a watch, especially at camp, at around 2, middle of the night for a kid, the rain stopped and a stillness rose around the camp, I woke up and had a sense that something was wrong. My mother had told me that I would have these senses because I was away from hom and would be homesick. I shrugged it off and went back to sleep.

The following morning they hurried us for a long hike, breakfast was served early and there was an air about Camp Scott that something was wrong. Being a kid, I thought the worst, some kid had broken their leg or something, (that is one of the joys of growing up in Oklahoma in the 70's...... that was the worst I could think) It was obvious that us kids new something was wrong, I said to my CIT when I was going to move over to Kiowa and all she said was "After breakfast, go on the hike with the group you are with now" So I did

We went on a long hike, I didn't see any of the girls from Kiowa that I was supposed to regrouped with that evening. I said to Lisa, I don't see any of Kiowa, and she said Oh, they are probably in Crafts. OK

When we crossed the creek, the end of the property is there and that is where the busses picked us up. They drove us back to the main entrance of Camp Scott and told us we had 5 minutes to gather our things and get back on the bus. THEY LITERALLY TOLD US NOTHING ELSE. When we got back to Tulsa off I-44 and Peoria where they dropped us off, My mother, father and my favorite teacher from Patrick Henry were there to meet me. I never knew what happened. It was only just before the FBI interview weeks later that I learned what happened.

I truly believe that Gene Leroy Hart was guilty of the murders, but I also think there was an accompolice. I know the Kiowa campground, typically 6-8 tents and the CIT tent. I know that they tent that I was supposed to go to was on the outer edge of the property but with that said, there is no way one man could have done this. This next June is the 30 year anniversary and I would love nothing better than to solve this murder, unfortunately, time, the weather and many other circumstances will prevent it.

The only selfish thing I can say is that that summer my childhood ended....

Lisamarie Guest
    wow I just read allot of stuff I found online and this is just awful, what a mishandel of justice. They let him off..but never further investigate. No it had to be more than one person. His mother lived a mile alway. someone would have had to know the area..he had a prior conviction for sexual battery.... And what the hell with these camp counslers ? Is it just me ? Was there security ? A hike after the murder...couldthey have trampled evidence?.........I saw a dateline or a 20/20 about this a long time ago........they showed crime scene photos and had interviews with the mothers and it was heartbreaking.

My older sisters went to this camp one year but a few years before the murders. I remember visiting the camp when we dropped them off and can still remember playing in those tents.
    The week of the murders my sister and I were at camp Takatoka which is not too far from there. We were aware of it as security was beefed up and everyone was talking about it to provide more safety tips. It was shocking and none of us got much sleep the rest of the week.

Daphne Guest
    Wow I have never heard of this one, thank you for the post! Im reading up on it.. amazingly sad for sure-

Thanks for the additional information, Jenny. That's really creepy- not that the previous articles weren't and heartbreakingly awful as well. The tents she's describing, down to the cot set-up with four cots per tent is exactly what I slept in two different camps in Massachusetts. We probably had identical cots. This would have been roughly the same time frame, 1975-1980. Our tents were really close together; the counselors at the second camp I attended could tell us to be quiet and go to sleep in a normal speaking voice and we'd hear them- I know because they said it enough times! This tragedy was never mentioned to me, but I'm guessing the counselors were well aware of it and had it mind.

jbattle Guest
    http://p068.ezboard.com/fgirlscoutmurdersfrm2
    This is a link to a very informative discussion group regarding the murders.

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jbattle View Post
    http://p068.ezboard.com/fgirlscoutmurdersfrm2
    This is a link to a very informative discussion group regarding the murders.
    Those are the same people that were on the A&E board investigating and they even went to the site together. Thanks for the link!

PS if this is true about Henry Lee Lucas it is chilling: http://p068.ezboard.com/The-Girl-Sco...picID=23.topic
    Last edited by Jenny Mulhenny; 01-03-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: I had more stuff to say

this is from one of the discussion boards posted aboveI feel the cases should be re-opened. My grandfather, Roy Martin and grandmother, Mary Martin lived near the gate entrance of the Girl Scout camp. Their son, Terry, who is my dad's brother lived in the home at this time. Terry was molesting his nieces and I am a survivor. I remember during this time of the murders, the news media was camping out in my grandparent's yard. My relatives were wondering where Terry was during this time. He was known to always run off. Terry was molesting the children (ages 4-13) in the family. The family was told of this news not until 1984 and the years to follow the victims came forward. Terry was violent in his acts unto us. I have wondered could he be a part of this horrible crime? Now Terry resides in his home by the gates of the once entrance of the Girl Scout murders. He knew the woods well. He was molesting children during those years. He was on drugs and the conditions were right for a child molestor. Since the statue of limitations have passed, he lives freely. Should the Girl Scout murders be re-opened. Yes. It would bring answers to the many questions.

And another one from the same thread
    I am related to fullofhopealways. I am so glad she had the courage to come forward to discuss and name who she feels could have had a part in the girl scout murders. You go girl! I wholeheartedly agree that my uncle, Terry Martin, had something to do with these murders. He started molesting little girls when he was 10 years old. He would bind and gag the little girls and torture them. He was born and raised and continues to live at the entrance to the girl scout gate. He's been squirrel and coon hunting in those woods since he was 5 years old. He knows those woods like the back of his hand. I am not using this forum to air the family's dirty laundry. I want to tell people of a monster who thinks he has gotten away with something.

I was 12 years old when the murders happened. I would say about two years after the murders happened, my family and I went down to visit my grandmother who lives by the entrance to the camp. My uncle was there. He asked if we wanted to go down and see how much the camp had changed since they closed it down. We used to take walks down there all the time growing up. I remember feeling scared to walk down the winding road to the camp despite my parents being with me. It was all overgrown. The swimming pool was empty. Stagnant water and decomposing leaves filled the bottom. The Great Hall where chattering girls ate, laughed, made new friends and enjoyed activities was dusty and cold. There were still 'Welcome to Camp Scott' posters up on the walls. There were Fun with Dick and Jane books still on the bookshelves. In the kitchen there were cobwebs and dead rats and mice on the floor and in the walk in freezer. I told my parents I wanted to go because I wasn't feeling well.

What I found odd was that my uncle had this smile on his face the whole time. He whistled all the way down to the camp. It was like he was all happy. When we turned around to come home, he said, "Hey, I want to show you something. That's where the tent was where those girls stayed but they burned it." He wandered around looking up into the trees and out of all those trees he said, "Here it is. This is the tree that they were dumped against." Then he went on and told step by step how it was all carried out. I felt like he was bragging because he was smiling and laughing as he told the story. How strange is that?! I wanted to throw up. My dad finally stopped him and told him we didn't need to hear all about it.

So I don't know. You tell me. Could Terry be an accomplice to these murders or know who did it? I think he definitely knows something. It's time to re-open this case after nearly 30 years and talk to a few more people

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Daphne View Post
    Wow I have never heard of this one, thank you for the post! Im reading up on it.. amazingly sad for sure-

Me too!

Harrietd Guest
    What's with the 'not released DNA results'? What's THAT all about?

Jenny Mulhenny Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrietd View Post
    What's with the 'not released DNA results'? What's THAT all about?
    Follow the money. Someone doesn't want them out.

Daphne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baroque1 View Post
    And another one from the same thread
    I am related to fullofhopealways. I am so glad she had the courage to come forward to discuss and name who she feels could have had a part in the girl scout murders. You go girl! I wholeheartedly agree that my uncle, Terry Martin, had something to do with these murders. He started molesting little girls when he was 10 years old. He would bind and gag the little girls and torture them. He was born and raised and continues to live at the entrance to the girl scout gate. He's been squirrel and coon hunting in those woods since he was 5 years old. He knows those woods like the back of his hand. I am not using this forum to air the family's dirty laundry. I want to tell people of a monster who thinks he has gotten away with something.

I was 12 years old when the murders happened. I would say about two years after the murders happened, my family and I went down to visit my grandmother who lives by the entrance to the camp. My uncle was there. He asked if we wanted to go down and see how much the camp had changed since they closed it down. We used to take walks down there all the time growing up. I remember feeling scared to walk down the winding road to the camp despite my parents being with me. It was all overgrown. The swimming pool was empty. Stagnant water and decomposing leaves filled the bottom. The Great Hall where chattering girls ate, laughed, made new friends and enjoyed activities was dusty and cold. There were still 'Welcome to Camp Scott' posters up on the walls. There were Fun with Dick and Jane books still on the bookshelves. In the kitchen there were cobwebs and dead rats and mice on the floor and in the walk in freezer. I told my parents I wanted to go because I wasn't feeling well.

What I found odd was that my uncle had this smile on his face the whole time. He whistled all the way down to the camp. It was like he was all happy. When we turned around to come home, he said, "Hey, I want to show you something. That's where the tent was where those girls stayed but they burned it." He wandered around looking up into the trees and out of all those trees he said, "Here it is. This is the tree that they were dumped against." Then he went on and told step by step how it was all carried out. I felt like he was bragging because he was smiling and laughing as he told the story. How strange is that?! I wanted to throw up. My dad finally stopped him and told him we didn't need to hear all about it.

So I don't know. You tell me. Could Terry be an accomplice to these murders or know who did it? I think he definitely knows something. It's time to re-open this case after nearly 30 years and talk to a few more people

Does anyone have anything new on this? I am intreagued and there does not seem to be much interest... and three children were brutally murdered, a'la Jason style...

Queen_Death_Hag Guest
    Wikipedia has some good details on this case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oklahom..._Scout_Murders

This is interesting too:
    http://downloads.newsok.com/flash_vi...shows/murders/
    Last edited by Queen_Death_Hag; 02-22-2008 at 05:29 PM.

motherogod Guest
    I was 6 and living on the other side of Oklahoma when this went down. Scared me to death, and when we drove through locust Grove and by the camp scott sign that same summer afterward, I remember the terror I felt. Strange. Funny I don't remember that the girls were raped, but I thought they'd only been murdered only. I'm sure my family left that detail out when discussing it in front of us kids, but I haven't read any more about it until now.

Thanks for the post.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Thanks, this is a great thread. I'd never heard about any of this before.

Jazbabee Guest
    I have become fascinated with this case....here is a link that has some great photos someone took and posted of what's left of the camp

http://girlscoutmurders.yuku.com/top...tt-Photos.html

I have become fascinated with this case....here is a link that has some great photos someone took and posted of what's left of the camp

I'd never seen this. I remember when it happend, so sad. Nice find Jazababee.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Thanks for posting jbattle - an amazing thread - and thanks for the link to the pics jazbabee. Looking at the barn reminded me of that place in the Blair Witch Project at the end. What terrible murders and I can't imagine what it must have been like to have had to tell the parents the dreadful news.

cherryghost Guest
    Do they have the DNA results already, are they not being released? Perhaps the killer is still alive and they are going to arrest someone? Fascinating information on a very sad story. I hope they solve it finally!

cherryghost Guest
    By the way how on earth did I manage to get the quizzlical face up there on the main thread board hahah!

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jbattle View Post
    Back in 1977 - 3 little girls were murdered at Camp Scott near Locust Grove, OK. This case remains unsolved after 30 years and every so often the news media brings it up, but always without any results. I was wondering (1) If any readers ever heard of this crime (2) Has any readers ever heard of similiar crimes involving summer camp? There is a rumor (or Urban Legend) that the "Friday the 13th "Jason" " movies stemmed from this horrible incident. Camp Counselors not paying attention.....
    Thanks,
    JBattle
    Here's a similar event: a campground "sickle slaying" in Nevada City, CA, in 1971, about 100 miles east of me, which was very "Jason-ish"...

Two persons were hacked to death and three others wounded by a balding man shouting guttural sounds, who attacked several campers on Bear River at the Dog Bar Bridge on July 13, 1971. According to witnesses, the assailant ran amuck through three camp sites, then disappeared.

They also reported that the man smiled constantly and made strange sounds as he chased and hacked at the people in the camps.

According to later articles in the local paper, Auburn, CA resident Clarence Otis Smith believed â??he was instructed by God to root out marijuana users and other evil-doers."
    He quit his job and fled to Mexico, where he was arrested by the FBI several weeks later.

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cherryghost View Post
    Do they have the DNA results already, are they not being released? Perhaps the killer is still alive and they are going to arrest someone? Fascinating information on a very sad story. I hope they solve it finally!
    The last updated info I found on the DNA results states that the tests came back inconclusive. Many believe that the OSBI and local officials have ignored or surpressed evidence. There was a Native American that was tried and acquitted of the murders, and he passed away about 3 months after his trial. There's too much involved to write here on FAD, but there have been attempts to have a Gran Jury reopen the investigation - but those attempts failed. There have been cries of foul against a local judge involved. There is however, a group of dedicated folk that seem VERY intent on getting this cold case solved, and they are still actively trying to do so.

endsleigh03 Guest

Jazbabee, these are excellent photos. That place is so creepy looking because of the rot and disrepair. I'd love to walk it. The whole place looks Jason-y and Blair witch.
    I wonder why there are so many items left, it almost has the look that someone lives there. You would think that stuff would have been stolen or something a long time ago.
    Thanks, Jaz.

Jazbabee Guest
    Here is the book that was written about the case.....I am ordering it this weekend

Jazbabee Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by endsleigh03 View Post
    Jazbabee, these are excellent photos. That place is so creepy looking because of the rot and disrepair. I'd love to walk it. The whole place looks Jason-y and Blair witch.
    I wonder why there are so many items left, it almost has the look that someone lives there. You would think that stuff would have been stolen or something a long time ago.
    Thanks, Jaz.

You're quite welcome Endsleigh. It seems that people were so creeped out by the murders, that the place was just literally abandoned. I did find where sometime in the early 80's that the owner tried to open up the pool as a public swimming place, but that no one would come to it because of what happened there, and it was shut down again. It does appear to me also that one or two of the building are inhabited to this day - could be caretakers ??

endsleigh03 Guest
    You're quite welcome Endsleigh. It seems that people were so creeped out by the murders, that the place was just literally abandoned. I did find where sometime in the early 80's that the owner tried to open up the pool as a public swimming place, but that no one would come to it because of what happened there, and it was shut down again. It does appear to me also that one or two of the building are inhabited to this day - could be caretakers ??
    It could be caretakers, but what are they taking care of?
    It's been a while since a story caught me up like this one.
    It's just got all the elements.

Jazbabee Guest
    It could be caretakers, but what are they taking care of?
    It's been a while since a story caught me up like this one.
    It's just got all the elements.
    Let me know if you would like some links to what I have found so far. I will openly admit that I have become very obsessed with this case right now.

endsleigh03 Guest
    Let me know if you would like some links to what I have found so far. I will openly admit that I have become very obsessed with this case right now.
    Yes, I would like.
    I was reading at that forum with all the posts for a long time last night but that was as far as I got.

Jazbabee Guest
    Yes, I would like.
    I was reading at that forum with all the posts for a long time last night but that was as far as I got.
    Done....here are some links. Note the A&E board, has a poster who claims to have an Uncle that actually may have been involved in these murders.....it's fascinating stuff !!!

http://www.geocities.com/welkerlots/scouts.htm
    http://www.topix.com/forum/city/wick...ILBU3RJTRDGU18
    http://girlscoutmurders.yuku.com/for...iscussion.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/ok5/girlscoutmurders/
    http://boards.aetv.com/thread.jspa?threadID=100001959
    http://www.geocities.com/welkerlots/hart.htm
    http://missing87975.yuku.com/topic/2...IRLSCOUTS.html
    http://boards.aetv.com/message.jspa?messageID=700051213

endsleigh03 Guest
    Uh-oh. Here goes whats left of the morning lol.
    At the A&E board, did you see how many people were saying they were the 4th scout, and the one guy who talked about the boy scouts at another camp being involved. Also, those "niece" stories were interesting...

Jazbabee Guest
    At the A&E board, did you see how many people were saying they were the 4th scout, and the one guy who talked about the boy scouts at another camp being involved. Also, those "niece" stories were interesting...
    Yep, I saw that.....it does get quite engrossing......can't wait to read the book, and dig even deeper !!

Jazbabee Guest
    I can't find it right now, but there is another poster, who claims that her Uncle (his last name is Martin) was molesting his nieces when they were young. She goes on to tell how the Uncle lives on a property at the entrance to the camp, and how the Uncle would give tours to his family in the camp, and knew the exact locations, down to the exact tree of where thing happened. The Uncle would then LAUGH about it all......this woman has reported him to the police, and her supicions about his involvement to authorities,m but so far, nothing has been done......there is a LOT of fuckery that has gone on in this case !!!

endsleigh03 Guest
    I only went camping with the girl scouts once, and it was winter so we stayed inside a building. Was a little confusing when I was checking out this story and they were talking about tent platforms etc.

This cleared it up, here's a pic for anyone that isn't camp-savvy like me.

endsleigh03 Guest

Map Of Camp

I grew up in Tulsa, and I was 13 years old when this happened. This was my first "where were you" moment I can remember. I was a Camp Fire Girl, and we still went to camp that summer. However, our camp was mostly cabins, so they were fitted with locks for the first time ever. The part of our camp that had tents was never used again.

There is an urban legend in Oklahoma regarding Gene Leroy Hart's death. A Native American medicine man (I think he was Cherokee, like Hart) performed a smoke ceremony at the courthouse. He then told GLH that if he committed the crime, he would be dead within a year. Lo and behold, Hart died a few months later.

endsleigh03 Guest
    I can't find it right now, but there is another poster, who claims that her Uncle (his last name is Martin) was molesting his nieces when they were young. She goes on to tell how the Uncle lives on a property at the entrance to the camp, and how the Uncle would give tours to his family in the camp, and knew the exact locations, down to the exact tree of where thing happened. The Uncle would then LAUGH about it all......this woman has reported him to the police, and her supicions about his involvement to authorities,m but so far, nothing has been done......there is a LOT of fuckery that has gone on in this case !!!
    I was looking at the map of the camp. There couldn't have been a better set-up for a pedo than that one. That uncle would have known that place and those woods like the back of his hand. I read some postings that said if more than one victim of molestation comes forward that there is no statute of limitations. Don't know if that is true. People post so much false info.

Jazbabee Guest
    I only went camping with the girl scouts once, and it was winter so we stayed inside a building. Was a little confusing when I was checking out this story and they were talking about tent platforms etc.

This cleared it up, here's a pic for anyone that isn't camp-savvy like me.

I camped a LOT during my Girl Scout years !! Yes we had these platform tents also, and they barely protect you from the elements. The canvas sides and front and back flaps also roll up, and makes the tent "open air". You are very vulnerable to anyone, or anything that wants to get in, because it is only a heavy canvas between you, and whatever or whomever may be outside.

51. 02-23-2008, 08:17 PM
    Reason
    DUH I ddin't see the recent posts that answered my question :)