Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Were these stars smokers?

onehunglow Guest

Were these stars smokers?

I never did hear if he did or didn't.

attackatdawn Guest
    Well it doesn't really say anywhere if he did or not but here is a website that shows all tobacco related deaths of famous people: http://www.tobacco.org/resources/misc/losses.html

Wilson, Carl, 51, musician (Beach Boys); complications from lung cancer (February 6, 1998)

Danny62 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    I don't believe he did smoke? Didn't Andy Kaufman die of Lung cancer and he didn't smoke?

Is he on here yet...someone should start a thread about this great guy if not?

onehunglow Guest

The man in the moon.

Yeah, I heard Andy could be really weird. But then some say that about me. Everyone that works for me in fact.

Bellfire Guest
    He dided of lung cancer but they never came out and said he smoked.

Cathy J. Guest
    I checked out that list of celebs who died from tobacco related deaths. Very interesting. However I did believe it would be next to impossible to create a list of those who do smoke since there are those over the years for a variety of reasons do hide their smoking habit. Jim Varney for one, dittos with Jack Wild.

I never knew Don Knotts smoked, that is until I picked up his bio a few years back and inside was a pic of him and Dinah Shore taken from the 70s, both were smoking cigarettes on the set of their then talk show.

I have heard that many of today's music stars and a large number of young TV/Movie stars do smoke despite all the health warnings and such. I remember reading an interview with the Backstreet Boys awhile back and the article mentioned that AJ McClean smoked Marlboro Lights. Yet I heard elsewhere that he is a health nut.

Maybe thats the new thing. Hmmmm. Until recently I had a co-worker who was into health foods, running severalmiles a day, working out, etc...

.........and he smoked 2 packs of Camel Lights every day.

ComputerGuy Guest
    Smoking equals DEATH. Stacy (My wife) and I quit using Chantax 8 months ago. 8 Months of NO SMOKING and going strong. Oh Yeah, I have smoked for 30 years

attackatdawn Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
    Smoking equals DEATH. Stacy (My wife) and I quit using Chantax 8 months ago. 8 Months of NO SMOKING and going strong. Oh Yeah, I have smoked for 30 years
    Good for you! My husband & I both smoke and our doctor told us about Chantax, we are considering it quitting cold turky just doesn't work. We both have been smoking for a long,long time.

candleinthewind Guest
    Smoking used to be a lot more common and socially acceptable than it is now. It is still common in some circles. Most models smoke. Many stars who smoke try not to be photographed smoking. Nicole Kidman was yelled at by her director when she lit one up at a press conference.

Bellfire Guest
    Jack Nicholson smokes everywhere and will light up where you don't want him too just because he's Jack. (I'd spank him)

Tugboat25 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny62 View Post
    I don't believe he did smoke? Didn't Andy Kaufman die of Lung cancer and he didn't smoke?

Is he on here yet...someone should start a thread about this great guy if not?
    Interestingly enough, Andy Kaufman didn't smoke but Tony Clifton did!
    (for those of you who don't know, Tony Clifton was Andy's alter ego).

ComputerGuy Guest
    Tony Clifton
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	zmutom.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	29  

skipper mike Guest

carl wilson beach boys murder of child

Does anyone have information to a murder of a 2 yr old that happened at one of the Beach Boys homes?

The childs (baby) last name was Fresh. Mothers name Corneilia Fresh. Father James Fresh.

I have alot of information about this, yet a little unsure of talking about it.

There was a big cover up and the police helped.

This would be in about 1983?

let me know.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skipper mike View Post
    Does anyone have information to a murder of a 2 yr old that happened at one of the Beach Boys homes?

The childs (baby) last name was Fresh. Mothers name Corneilia Fresh. Father James Fresh.

I have alot of information about this, yet a little unsure of talking about it.

There was a big cover up and the police helped.

This would be in about 1983?

let me know.
    Wow have never heard of any murder connected to the Beach boys,much less a cover up. They must have really covered it up. I will try to ggogle it.

Yes, Carl Wilson was a smoker. One of the biographies I read about the Beach Boys said he smoked because of the stress that Murray Wilson put on the Wilson brothers. Murray was a real prick.

cherryghost Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellfire View Post
    Jack Nicholson smokes everywhere and will light up where you don't want him too just because he's Jack. (I'd spank him)
    Id pull my zippo out and light his cigarette

cherryghost Guest
    Not that I smoke, I dont and if you saw the Australian smoking campaign on Televison here at present you wouldnt either!

Gary Guest
    I have a video that shows Carl Wilson smoking, as well. It's a video for the song I CAN HEAR MUSIC and it shows them in studio, and he is smoking.

Who is this NOVSTORM that keeps resurrecting onehungs old threads?
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

lois steeme Guest
    [quote=attackatdawn;7805]Well it doesn't really say anywhere if he did or not but here is a website that shows all tobacco related deaths of famous people: http://www.tobacco.org/resources/misc/losses.html

Wilson, Carl, 51, musician (Beach Boys); complications from lung cancer (February 6, 1998)[/quote

What the feck does it matter? I personally know people who have perished due to lung cancer and these people have never smoked a day in their lives.

Further, I suspect that when a person gives up the cigarettes, something s/he loves to do, inhaling pollutants, the person gets sick. Hey, it isn't just me...Karen, my friend, who never smoked a day in her life, agrees with me.

The stress of giving up bad habits can kill you.

I personally know a guy who has cancer which has spread to his liver. If you google 'liver cancer' you will find that once someone is afflicted with such a cancer, he ain't gonna survive.

• cancer of all kinds could easily be eliminated if the big companies weren't involved -- too much money there, let people die
    • cancer is generaly hereditary
    I smoke like a fiend, and I've done it since I was fourteen years old. I am now a hag of fifty-three years old and I'm doing very well (thank you, Ian Dury).

I have been to my doctor and I have clear lungs. Ever live in a polluted, industrial part of town? With multitudes of cars? I do...and I still have clear lungs.

Mr Steeme and I are proud sponsors of ETA Canada.

"I can resist everything but temptation."

lois steeme Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by onehunglow View Post
    'ONEHUNGLOW!" Can I steal that name to use when I bait the Nigerian type scammers?! Maybe I can use that and add "Have a rice day" at the end!

So far I use "Reverend Evan Sabove", "Lance Miboyle", "Ivan Ellovanonitch" , "Shirley Knott" "Anne Kerasway', "Ima Bean", "Ima Morron," "Ima Cumming" and my latest identity "Iva Loweyeque."

lois steeme Guest
    Forgot the old lush:

JestersKiss Guest

Elizabeth Guest

I Defend....

[quote=lois steeme;124315]
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post
    Well it doesn't really say anywhere if he did or not but here is a website that shows all tobacco related deaths of famous people: http://www.tobacco.org/resources/misc/losses.html

Wilson, Carl, 51, musician (Beach Boys); complications from lung cancer (February 6, 1998)[/quote

What the feck does it matter? I personally know people who have perished due to lung cancer and these people have never smoked a day in their lives.

Further, I suspect that when a person gives up the cigarettes, something s/he loves to do, inhaling pollutants, the person gets sick. Hey, it isn't just me...Karen, my friend, who never smoked a day in her life, agrees with me.

The stress of giving up bad habits can kill you.

I personally know a guy who has cancer which has spread to his liver. If you google 'liver cancer' you will find that once someone is afflicted with such a cancer, he ain't gonna survive.

• cancer of all kinds could easily be eliminated if the big companies weren't involved -- too much money there, let people die
    • cancer is generaly hereditary
    I smoke like a fiend, and I've done it since I was fourteen years old. I am now a hag of fifty-three years old and I'm doing very well (thank you, Ian Dury).

I have been to my doctor and I have clear lungs. Ever live in a polluted, industrial part of town? With multitudes of cars? I do...and I still have clear lungs.

Mr Steeme and I are proud sponsors of ETA Canada.

"I can resist everything but temptation."
    I defend your right to do what you want to do, but statistically you are at higher risk for cardiac and pulmonary issues the more/longer you smoke....

And I am glad you have clear lungs....but how is your *heart*?? We want you around here for a long long time.....

1karenhb Guest
    My BFF of 40 years, her husband is 63 and in the last stages of lung cancer. He had chemo and radiation for a year. I almost get sick to my stomach now when I see someone smoking. Horrible way to die.

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmpenny View Post
    Who is this NOVSTORM that keeps resurrecting onehungs old threads?
    What are you talking about?

JestersKiss Guest
    NOVSTROM is a class act here and i for one like most of her posts and agree with alot of them. And bringing back old posts isnt a bad thing. It brings back to light the legends of tommorow and gives us all a chance to reflect and speak.
    I Salute you NOV.

john4521 Guest
    I smoked for over thirty years,it was hard to quit but worth it.I didn't use any drugs or anything,I slowly tapered off.I counted the number of cigaretts I smoked every day and gradually reduced the numbers.It took about six months to finally quit all the way,it's been almost four years now.The best advice I could give anyone is to not stop trying.It's very easy to give up after you relapse (and most of us do in the beginning) but don't do it.I smoked three packs a day and if I can quit anyone can.

Quote Originally Posted by john4521 View Post
    I smoked for over thirty years,it was hard to quit but worth it.I didn't use any drugs or anything,I slowly tapered off.I counted the number of cigaretts I smoked every day and gradually reduced the numbers.It took about six months to finally quit all the way,it's been almost four years now.The best advice I could give anyone is to not stop trying.It's very easy to give up after you relapse (and most of us do in the beginning) but don't do it.I smoked three packs a day and if I can quit anyone can.

That's what I was going to say! Seriously. if I can quit ANYBODY can!! Seven years now!

I've spoken about this somewhere else on here but I got a close friend who never smoked in her life and she's now dying from lung/brain cancer. She's only 29. So it doesnt matter if you smoke or not, you can still get lung cancer

NOVSTORM Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JestersKiss View Post
    NOVSTROM is a class act here and i for one like most of her posts and agree with alot of them. And bringing back old posts isnt a bad thing. It brings back to light the legends of tommorow and gives us all a chance to reflect and speak.
    I Salute you NOV.
    Why thank You Jester

NOVSTORM Guest
    Cancer runs in our family. My Mother never smoked but got Cervical cancer. My Grand Parents never smokes they had cancer and most of my brothers and sister died from cancer and did not smoke. Two of my brothers who did Namand Korea died from nrain, liver,throat and a couple of other cancers. The doctor said it is indicative of smokers and booze every cancer they had,,trouble is they never smoked or drank heavily. My dad smoked 3 packs of king sized chesterfields a day for over 60 years he died like his mother from complications from astroke and she never smoked . Actually if they had not punctured his bowel in the hospital he may have recovered but gangrene set in and that is what really killed him. SO if most of the family died from every damn type of cancer there is and they did'nt smoke , I tend to believe what they told me at the Mayo clinic. That we all have the genes and somewhere somehow our imune system breaks down and cancer then sets in . Both of the Mayo brothers smoked . I now it is politicaly correct now to trash smokers. But I wonder how all these clean living vegens get cancer? While I am sure that smoking can cause lung cancer and probably other types too but yet I think they are looking for a reason to blame something they just cannot cure. Cancer.

Tornillo Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by attackatdawn View Post

Wilson, Carl, 51, musician (Beach Boys); complications from lung cancer (February 6, 1998)
    He did smoke...about a pack a day but he died of brain cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by NOVSTORM View Post
    Cancer runs in our family. My Mother never smoked but got Cervical cancer. My Grand Parents never smokes they had cancer and most of my brothers and sister died from cancer and did not smoke. Two of my brothers who did Namand Korea died from nrain, liver,throat and a couple of other cancers. The doctor said it is indicative of smokers and booze every cancer they had,,trouble is they never smoked or drank heavily. My dad smoked 3 packs of king sized chesterfields a day for over 60 years he died like his mother from complications from astroke and she never smoked . Actually if they had not punctured his bowel in the hospital he may have recovered but gangrene set in and that is what really killed him. SO if most of the family died from every damn type of cancer there is and they did'nt smoke , I tend to believe what they told me at the Mayo clinic. That we all have the genes and somewhere somehow our imune system breaks down and cancer then sets in . Both of the Mayo brothers smoked . I now it is politicaly correct now to trash smokers. But I wonder how all these clean living vegens get cancer? While I am sure that smoking can cause lung cancer and probably other types too but yet I think they are looking for a reason to blame something they just cannot cure. Cancer.
    I totally agree with you, well until the last sentence. I really believe there is already a cure of cancer but because of the all mighty dollar, we would sadly never see it in our lifetime anyway. Too many jobs and of course money is on the line. Yeah it sounds sick, twisted and downright cruel, but I really believe the big medical companies would rather see people get sick and die than find a cure ( or if they did, they keep it top secret ) so they can put more cash into their pockets.

Mach2 Guest
    I lost my sister to lung and brain cancer. She was 40. She smoked 23 years. I have a friend who has smoked over 40 years and she is healthy. Life isn't fair to some folks.

pattykad Guest
    I miss Carl. He seemed like such a sweet guy and was always
    playing peacemaker. Who would have ever thought that
    Brian would be the last Wilson brother? And Carl's voice got
    better with time too. I thought I read he quit many years before
    getting cancer?

And what about Mike Love? Isn't he odd? Didn't he marry or date
    their young cousin? Anyone remember that story?

ac05 Guest

Were these people smokers?

Were Lloyd Bridges, Leslie Nielsen, and Robert Stack smokers?

Forever-27 Guest
    It effects different people different ways. George burns smoked a box of cigars per week and lived to be 100 years old. Its one to want to quit but he never wanted quit smoking. He said he enjoied it too much.

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    Smoking used to be a lot more common and socially acceptable than it is now. It is still common in some circles. Most models smoke. Many stars who smoke try not to be photographed smoking. Nicole Kidman was yelled at by her director when she lit one up at a press conference.
    Growing up in the 50s and 60s, I'd say 85% or more of the adults smoked. The teachers had a smoking lounge, the moms sat around the kitchen table talking in a cloud of smoke like they were at a poker game! The cool people smoked.
    I tried, but just never got hooked. wish I could say the same about food! (always something!)

My Dad- age 70 from a stroke
    My Mom age 68 after years of emphysema

I think there's a cancer gene.Smoking must be one more thing to set it off. Back in the old days, a lot of the dads died from heart attacks in their 40s and 50s; some of it was caused by smoking, but also they didn't have all those statin drugs and angioplasty.

Seriously, if you're a smoking young person, find a new habit! Emphysema is like drowning, but it takes years!
    Our President smokes, and his mother dying young from cancer hasn't deterred him.
    Last edited by FannyB1923; 01-26-2011 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy J. View Post
    I never knew Don Knotts smoked, that is until I picked up his bio a few years back and inside was a pic of him and Dinah Shore taken from the 70s, both were smoking cigarettes on the set of their then talk show.
    You can always see the outline of a pack of cigarettes in Barney Fife's uniform pocket on "The Andy Griffith Show."

The same goes for most men in 1950's television, like Hugh Beaumont in "Leave it to Beaver" when he's not wearing a suit.

Giada Guest
    The president states he has been smoke free for ten months.

Yul Brynner died of lung cancer in 1985 and filmed PSA's against smoking prior to his death that were shown after he died.

"Now that I'm gone I tell you don't smoke."

Most actresses smoke. They pretty much stopped smoking in movies until Basic Instinct after many years they cut back on it so it's not as prevalent in the movies like it used to be.
    Woody Allen has a smoking fetish so all women smoke in his movies.
    When you lose a parent you lose your past. When you lose a spouse you lose your present. When you lose a child you lose your future.
    R.I.P Kim: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...336317&df=all&
    R.I.P Dad http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=93315851
    R.I.P Mom http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg...&GRid=97780420

FannyB1923 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post
    The president states he has been smoke free for ten months.
    I didn't know that- it came out at a press conference in December. Good for him, keep it up!

Catherine zeta jones smokes...wonder if she stopped after micheals recent cancer scare....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Giada Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseysucks2 View Post
    Most actresses smoke. They pretty much stopped smoking in movies until Basic Instinct after many years they cut back on it so it's not as prevalent in the movies like it used to be.
    Woody Allen has a smoking fetish so all women smoke in his movies.
    Possibly in Allen's early films, but I can't think of one ... in the last ten years in which I've seen any men or women smoking, (Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Match Point, Cassandra's Dream, Snoop, Mighty Aphrodite, etc.)

Do you have a source on Woody's smoking fetish? Nothing I've read supports this.

orionova Guest
    I've been watching a series of old British films from the late 50s/early 60s called the Edgar Wallace Mysteries, and damn near everyone in the movies smokes. I'm just glad they haven't made me want to take up smoking again, but so far, so good. I quit 7½ years ago, and it's so wonderful to be able to breath and to taste food again.

ac05 Guest
    Was Leslie Nielsen a smoker?
    Last edited by ac05; 01-29-2011 at 09:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Giada View Post

Yul Brynner died of lung cancer in 1985 and filmed PSA's against smoking prior to his death that were shown after he died.

"Now that I'm gone I tell you don't smoke."
    I thought it was : "Whatever you do, just don't smoke."
    I am a sick puppy....woof woof!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Carping the living shit out of the Diem. - Me!!
    http://www.pinterest.com/neilmpenny

ac05 Guest

Leslie Nielsen and smoking...

Did Leslie Nielsen smoke?

ac05 Guest
    Did Leslie Nielsen smoke?