Page 62 of 63 FirstFirst ... 135360616263 LastLast
Results 3,051 to 3,100 of 3141

Thread: Christine Chubbuck

New swatch? I didn't know they made them back then.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

As I said I am not saying if it is real or not, Until I hear from A) Sally Quinn, B) Her Family) C.) The Person that released this, All I know it does look very similar to the one I saw wayyyy back when. It could be the real thing or it could be footage from the movie, made to look like the actual thing.

3. 06-13-2017, 04:10 PM

I stated it looks similar, I didn't say it was the one I saw.

Definitely not the one I saw years ago. Not saying that makes this one wrong or the one I saw right, or either one one way or the other, just not the same. The one I saw, the victim slumped down slowly after the shot, which blew the hair up from the back of the head. Then a voice from the background said "very funny", before someone ran over and it went black.

Yep Duffy that is the one I saw, someone saying very funny, Christine..

Quote Originally Posted by duffyman View Post
    Definitely not the one I saw years ago. Not saying that makes this one wrong or the one I saw right, or either one one way or the other, just not the same. The one I saw, the victim slumped down slowly after the shot, which blew the hair up from the back of the head. Then a voice from the background said "very funny", before someone ran over and it went black.
    Could you describe in more detail what you saw? Did this video only feature the suicide or the minutes leading up to the actual suicide itself?

As best I recall, (we're talking 30 seconds or so of time from many year ago) it showed the "in keeping with" announcement, the gun comes out, the barrel disappears into her hair toward the back/side of her head, the shot, hair in the back flips out toward the right side of the screen. Then she takes a slow slide down her chair to the floor, a second goes by and you hear the "very funny Christine" line. screen goes black as someone walks in from the left.

Just a quick comment. I haven't been here due to health issues (again).

Personally, I don't think that Christine's family will release anything related to her suicide - that's just me, though. However, I would like to see the two movies that have been mentioned - and I may buy them at some point.
    Last edited by Tony Trout; 06-16-2017 at 08:45 AM.
    "Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's Heaven on Earth" - Mark Twain

As best I recall, (we're talking 30 seconds or so of time from many year ago) it showed the "in keeping with" announcement, the gun comes out, the barrel disappears into her hair toward the back/side of her head, the shot, hair in the back flips out toward the right side of the screen. Then she takes a slow slide down her chair to the floor, a second goes by and you hear the "very funny Christine" line. screen goes black as someone walks in from the left.
    You saw the same one I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Trout View Post
    Just a quick comment. I haven't been here due to health issues (again).

Personally, I don't think that Christine's family will release anything related to her suicide - that's just me, though. However, I would like to see the two movies that have been mentioned - and I may buy them at some point.
    The owner of the station's widow has the tape, not Christine's family.

The widow of the station owner, gave it to a law firm for safe keeping.

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    The widow of the station owner, gave it to a law firm for safe keeping.
    Yeah sorry, lol, forgot to add that. I just meant she owned it rather than the Chubbuck family.

Maybe she'll need a buck or two and she'll offer it up.
    My Posse's On Broadway

Quote Originally Posted by Shejay View Post
    Maybe she'll need a buck or two and she'll offer it up.
    Honestly, that's the only reason that I can come up with why it's being kept.

Hey guys. So far it's a dreary morning in Sarasota. It rained all day yesterday. Bout to head over to the station in an hour. I'll be at the Crescent Club tonight around 1030ish if anyone in the area wants to come and talk about our girl. Sorry if this post is disallowed.

Rest in peace dear Christine.
    Last edited by damndirtyape; 07-17-2017 at 04:57 AM.

Ohhh hope you took pictures.

18. 07-15-2017, 07:40 PM

19. 07-17-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    Ohhh hope you took pictures.
    I did. Not a lot to see really. Took some photos of her home (which, I found out is no longer owned by the family)and a few of old wxlt. I'm not sure what sort of business is occupying the space now but there are carcars in the gated lot 24/7. Unsurprisingly, the Herald-Trib made no mention of the incident all week. What is really cool, idk if any of y'all have been but if you swim a little ways over from the 12th public beach entrance you can cross over the rocks and there is a little sand bar that goes right up to the back steps of her old house. It's pretty neat really. I've been before but never went swimming as I am afraid of water haha. Met some fellow vacationers who were talking about Steve Irwin and remarking about public deaths. (apparently there was a school of stingrays in the area last week) I told them about the house that was basically towering above us. They hadn't heard of her before but were interested in her story.

Ashlena2502 Guest
    I have an original copy of her Senior yearbook at Laurel....

WonderWomanFan Guest
    My apologies if this was already posted, but this is rumored to be the death footage.

http://theync.com/christine-chubbuck...ly-15-1974.htm

Wonder if you scroll back up and read that is what we have been talking about.

Found an interesting article: https://onmogul.com/stories/the-question-of-christine

I would post it here but it's too long to fit in a single post.

Interesting, I thought there might be a problem with the obsolete format, but it never occured to me that a tape from the 1970s could degrade and disappear just like the silver nitrate films of the 1920s.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

26. 10-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    Interesting, I thought there might be a problem with the obsolete format, but it never occured to me that a tape from the 1970s could degrade and disappear just like the silver nitrate films of the 1920s.
    It all depends on how its been stored, and since its been stored in someone's house for who knows how long...it doesn't look so good. Though, from an earlier article I read (https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cu...-movie-trailer) , someone mentioned that the station director was dubbing copies but, allegedly, those copies were destroyed in the 80s.

Obviously Nelson wanted a copy (original or otherwise) preserved for whatever reason, its reasonable to think that there is more than one copy. We can only speculate at this point.
    Last edited by Michael555; 10-31-2017 at 09:41 AM.

That's really awesome! If love to have one. About the coolest thing I have is the 4 AUG 1974 WaPo with the Sally Quinn article.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashlena2502 View Post
    I have an original copy of her Senior yearbook at Laurel....

29. 12-22-2017, 10:58 PM

30. 12-22-2017, 10:59 PM

31. 12-23-2017, 04:18 AM

Personally I believe that video is real.

It's too correct to be incorrect. You know what I'm saying.

My idea is hire a voice analyst. There's some other clips of her speaking on Suncoast Digest. Match them to the "blood and guts" speech on the alleged tape. There.

Either it's real or fake. But, I believe it's real.

And, after seeing it. Finally seeing it. I'm shook. That girl wanted out. I hate she did that. And, I hate that people hid the video for so many years. And, now some people are lying to say this isn't it.

I have no idea why she felt hated though. Or was single. She was pretty, smart, and talented. 29 and a virgin. Insane. Men can be so picky.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

I'm uploading a video to YouTube (RyanChamberlainProductions) with my thoughts on this vid. Watch if you want. NSFW...cursing.But, I would love to hear more about the one you saw. So I can do an eventual update.

PM me on here or DM on twitter at @rchamberlain87

This case is so fascinating.

Also. When it comes to the letter H on the Newswatch logo. I think it's how we are viewing it from the side and then the front. Perspective.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 05-06-2018 at 07:00 AM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

I wonder if the employees at WXLT ( WWSB ) despite the movies and stuff still has a gag order not too discuss Chubbuck ??
    Apparently Denver's KOA radio still does with Alan Berg. Even though he was murdered back in 1984 some joker called up Mandy Connell ( the only live and local show on KOA today ) recently and when he mentioned Berg KOA cut him off and switched to a commercial.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fishhead View Post
    I'm uploading a video to YouTube (RyanChamberlainProductions) with my thoughts on this vid. Watch if you want. NSFW...cursing.But, I would love to hear more about the one you saw. So I can do an eventual update.

PM me on here or DM on twitter at @rchamberlain87

This case is so fascinating.

Also. When it comes to the letter H on the Newswatch logo. I think it's how we are viewing it from the side and then the front. Perspective.
    Hey! I tried looking up your vid on YT. Is it under Ryan Chamberlain Productions or all one word? What is it entitled? There's someone there same name but does vids for an MLM. Is this you? I'd love to see the vid and hear your thoughts.
    In Loving Memory of Timothy Houdek, October 22, 1969 - January 8, 2013

My awesome dad: Harry Houdek, September 8, 1933 - November 20, 2013

Words can't convey how much I miss you both. RIP with love.

Hi everyone

After â??74 TV suicideâ?? stations were concerned

Christine Chubbuck made history five years ago when she committed suicide on live television. Miss Chubbuck had begun her 09:00 a.m. talk show as usual. Shortly after the program began, she pulled a 38-caliber pistol from a bag under her desk. She pointed it at the back of her head and pulled the trigger. Miss Chubbuck left behind a bewildered family, stunned co-workers and â?? perhaps as last record of a struggle to be noticed â?? a videotape of her on-the-air suicide.
    THE TAPE now resides in a safe at the station, WXLT-Ch. 40 in Sarasota. And, despite many requests, it will stay there. â??Weâ??ve received numerous requests from forensic medicine institutions and professors who have wished to view this tape for educational study.â? Says Robert Nelson, WXLT owner. â??From criminologists to national magazines, weâ??ve heard from all of them. But, says Nelson, the tape is not going to be release â?? ever. â??Weâ??ve decided that it is in the best interest of everyone concerned not to release this tape. It will just be filled away with other matters of station importance.â? ...

By Cindy Alspaugh, St. Petersburg Times (now Tampa Bay Times)
    August 5, 1979
    Link (subscription needed)
    Last edited by smfr; 07-07-2018 at 09:35 AM.

Hi, smfr! This post violates Rule 7: Follow all copyright, fair-use, and licensing guidelines. You need to trim this down to a couple of paragraphs and leave a link to the rest.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Wow. Our answer was there in that article the entire time! Great find.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael555 View Post
    Wow. Our answer was there in that article the entire time! Great find.
    What's the answer? I don't really want to have to subscribe to find out.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

This would be the tape that the former station owners widow announced is being kept in some lawyers safe?

IIRC there was some discussion that the tape itself might not really exist in a viewable state. Supposedly videotape from that era degrades and becomes unviewable.
    [SIGPIC]Morgan[/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by TheWrath of MadelineKahn View Post
    This would be the tape that the former station owners widow announced is being kept in some lawyers safe?

IIRC there was some discussion that the tape itself might not really exist in a viewable state. Supposedly videotape from that era degrades and becomes unviewable.
    It all depends under what conditions the tape was stored.

Quote Originally Posted by Upset View Post
    What's the answer? I don't really want to have to subscribe to find out.
    Itâ??s an article from the St Petersburg Times in 1979 that basically says Robert Nelson doesnâ??t plan on ever releasing the tape and that itâ??s in a safe. We always had wondered if the family got ahold of the tape or if the station had a copy and the answer was right there in that article the entire time.
    Last edited by Michael555; 07-20-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Fake / not fake? As someone who's spent a lot of time dealing with old video recordings, I'd come down on the side of a very good fake...

The video quality is what you'd expect from a third or fourth generation VHS dub. To those who correctly point out that the original broadcast was in colour, I'd offer the following: after a recording goes down a few generations in quality, the colour often goes. Going from a broadcast format (2" quad) to a domestic (VHS) format also contributes to that. And, while the original would be in colour, dubs may not - it depends on the format of the original recording, the playback machine, and the machine the dub was recorded to. Not the tape itself - videotape isn't like film; no "colour" stock and "black and white" stock. Videotape is videotape - record colour onto it, and it will play back in colour. It comes down to the machines, and compatibility. For example, U-matic VT machines came in "high-band" and "low-band" - play a colour high-band tape on a low-band machine, and it comes out black & white.

And, if the dub came from an earlier dub done in "long play", that multiplies it all.

The sound distortion is a lot worse than I'd expect, but there could be numerous tech reasons for that - audio output level from the playback machine overloading the recording machine, etc.

I don't see much in the technical aspect of the footage which screams "fake"; it's all pretty consistent with a much-copied, much-played piece of footage. I have videotapes recorded off-air in the mid-1980's that are in similar shape.

It's the actual content...

The camera angle, yeah - just based on forty-odd years of watching newscasts, I'd expect a mid-bulletin shot to be "head and shoulders" rather than the full set. Generally, you'd have a full set shot at the very beginning of the broadcast, and just before cutting to (and coming back from) a commercial break. They'd go to a full set shot if a graphic of some sort was to be featured on the set to the right of the presenter, but not on a single-camera set-up, which is how they appear to have done the WXLT news set.

To those saying "it may be the vision from the other camera", nup - the only vision that gets recorded is what's actually going to air. Those in the control booth would have a feed from each camera visible on the monitors, but it wouldn't be recorded. The contemporary reports (police and Quinn) both make clear that Christine was in a "head and shoulders" shot when she began the segment.

The ticker / captioning - no, it wouldn't have gone to air like that, and wouldn't have been recorded like that (for starters, "ABC" is a network term, surely a tape recorded in-house at an affiliate would have said "WXLT" instead?). The captioning is clearly later (80's, I'd say). Normally, I'd say it was just put there later as a reference, but the clock bugs me - I can't see how it would be possible to have the actual broadcast time displayed on a caption added years later.

And the body slamming into the desk seems far too violent - rather than slumping forward, it appears to be a deliberate launching. I can't see how a body could fall forward at such speed unassisted.

With regard to Mollie Nelson and Greg Chubbuck ever allowing the original tape to surface, I can't see it happening - certainly not the actual suicide.

But, I genuinely can't see a problem with the earlier portions of the program being released - the program opening, and Christine reading the first couple of stories. Say, everything up to her throwing to the film that jammed, or perhaps coming back from it.

My own feeling is that Christine actually wanted people to see it - after all, she made a point of ensuring that the show would be recorded that morning, which it normally wasn't (unless a guest requested a copy). And, it really would be nice to have another piece of footage of Christine. Years of discussion, analyzing, and speculation over someone of whom only one piece of footage (or, multiple pieces from the same episode) is publicly viewable. Her looking at the camera - at us - and saying "Hello, I'm Christine Chubbuck" would mean a lot. It would turn her from a conversation point into an actual person.

But, much comes down to the way the tape has been stored over the years. There's an industry saying - "videotape won't wait". It deteriorates. 2" quad can get to the point where the reel has to be placed in an oven and lightly baked to get into a playable state. The tape sheds oxide particles, which gum up the playback heads.

The ultimate irony would be that the decision is made to release the tape, and it's found to be completely unplayable...

Quote Originally Posted by Keats View Post
    Fake / not fake? As someone who's spent a lot of time dealing with old video recordings, I'd come down on the side of a very good fake...

The video quality is what you'd expect from a third or fourth generation VHS dub. To those who correctly point out that the original broadcast was in colour, I'd offer the following: after a recording goes down a few generations in quality, the colour often goes. Going from a broadcast format (2" quad) to a domestic (VHS) format also contributes to that. And, while the original would be in colour, dubs may not - it depends on the format of the original recording, the playback machine, and the machine the dub was recorded to. Not the tape itself - videotape isn't like film; no "colour" stock and "black and white" stock. Videotape is videotape - record colour onto it, and it will play back in colour. It comes down to the machines, and compatibility. For example, U-matic VT machines came in "high-band" and "low-band" - play a colour high-band tape on a low-band machine, and it comes out black & white.

And, if the dub came from an earlier dub done in "long play", that multiplies it all.

The sound distortion is a lot worse than I'd expect, but there could be numerous tech reasons for that - audio output level from the playback machine overloading the recording machine, etc.

I don't see much in the technical aspect of the footage which screams "fake"; it's all pretty consistent with a much-copied, much-played piece of footage. I have videotapes recorded off-air in the mid-1980's that are in similar shape.

It's the actual content...

The camera angle, yeah - just based on forty-odd years of watching newscasts, I'd expect a mid-bulletin shot to be "head and shoulders" rather than the full set. Generally, you'd have a full set shot at the very beginning of the broadcast, and just before cutting to (and coming back from) a commercial break. They'd go to a full set shot if a graphic of some sort was to be featured on the set to the right of the presenter, but not on a single-camera set-up, which is how they appear to have done the WXLT news set.

To those saying "it may be the vision from the other camera", nup - the only vision that gets recorded is what's actually going to air. Those in the control booth would have a feed from each camera visible on the monitors, but it wouldn't be recorded. The contemporary reports (police and Quinn) both make clear that Christine was in a "head and shoulders" shot when she began the segment.

The ticker / captioning - no, it wouldn't have gone to air like that, and wouldn't have been recorded like that (for starters, "ABC" is a network term, surely a tape recorded in-house at an affiliate would have said "WXLT" instead?). The captioning is clearly later (80's, I'd say). Normally, I'd say it was just put there later as a reference, but the clock bugs me - I can't see how it would be possible to have the actual broadcast time displayed on a caption added years later.

And the body slamming into the desk seems far too violent - rather than slumping forward, it appears to be a deliberate launching. I can't see how a body could fall forward at such speed unassisted.

With regard to Mollie Nelson and Greg Chubbuck ever allowing the original tape to surface, I can't see it happening - certainly not the actual suicide.

But, I genuinely can't see a problem with the earlier portions of the program being released - the program opening, and Christine reading the first couple of stories. Say, everything up to her throwing to the film that jammed, or perhaps coming back from it.

My own feeling is that Christine actually wanted people to see it - after all, she made a point of ensuring that the show would be recorded that morning, which it normally wasn't (unless a guest requested a copy). And, it really would be nice to have another piece of footage of Christine. Years of discussion, analyzing, and speculation over someone of whom only one piece of footage (or, multiple pieces from the same episode) is publicly viewable. Her looking at the camera - at us - and saying "Hello, I'm Christine Chubbuck" would mean a lot. It would turn her from a conversation point into an actual person.

But, much comes down to the way the tape has been stored over the years. There's an industry saying - "videotape won't wait". It deteriorates. 2" quad can get to the point where the reel has to be placed in an oven and lightly baked to get into a playable state. The tape sheds oxide particles, which gum up the playback heads.

The ultimate irony would be that the decision is made to release the tape, and it's found to be completely unplayable...
    You definitely make some good points.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

Could it be on any of the Traces of Death videos? Faces of Death is reenactments. Traces of Death is real. I didn't last 10 minutes into it 🤢

Selena It could be, I know I watched it and it was back in the 90s late I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SelenaFan View Post
    Could it be on any of the Traces of Death videos? Faces of Death is reenactments. Traces of Death is real. I didn't last 10 minutes into it 濫
    Extremely doubtful.

Those have been bootlegged and posted on the internet (I maybe mistaken). It would've been posted years, and years ago.
    There was an article linked above and quoted stating that Robert Nelson had kept a copy in a vault. His widow is said to have it and she turned it over to a "very large law firm". That's all we know about its whereabouts.
    Last edited by Michael555; 05-01-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Christine the Movie and the Short Doc

Just watched Christine.

I'm late to the party

Fascinating and well done in that I felt the awkwardness.
    That's why I popped by the forum tonight!

I'll definitely watch that again! Rebecca Hall did a fantastic job. I really felt for Christine. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the real Christine, but I was enthralled and it felt like some kind of understanding.
    A glimpse in, that left room for mystery.
    It brought her to life for me at least!

Thanks for all your great posts! I encourage you to check this movie out, if you didn't know it's on Netflix.

Cheers! ☠️

*UPDATE*

Just found this Youtube "Short True Crime Documentary Story" on Christine!!!

https://youtu.be/3NgTkJ9eJZI

It has childhood, high school year book and adult photos, also stills from the 2016 movie Christine. Which is kind of funny.

It also shows the much debated here footage of Christine shooting herself. In black and white.

I didn't know if it was fake. But after reading some comments here, it would make sense that it's not real from the many, many points stated already.
    It is jarring and graphic enough though.
    And the scene from the film hammered the point home too.

The best part? Our own Seagorath is mentioned and quoted in the short doc!!! Pretty much reaffirming the fact she has amazing research skills!
    (The short doc that mentions her is written copy with photo and video clips)
    Last edited by Melisscious; 09-12-2019 at 11:01 PM. Reason: New info to attach.

Thanks, Mel will have to check the show on netflix

and now what we've been waiting for for years, the suicide of christine chubbuck: courtesy of deadbug's channel on youtube, opening story is awesome, actual shooting is at 10:01

https://youtu.be/e5QR6Klv1xA
    pull the string!

Isn't that the same fake footage that has been out for a few years now?

Apparently it's the same fake. It begins at 0.39

Last edited by cindyt; 09-06-2020 at 10:50 AM.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

52. 09-06-2020, 05:38 PM
    Reason
    Dupe

to live and die in front of the camera

interesting take on chubbuck:
    pull the string!

I got a few PMs about the link above not working. Just choose yes when asked if you'd like to open it in YouTube.

I chose to watch it with captions because I found the wannabe film noir narrator and his comments added nothing to the story. Also, the footage of the death scene isn't real. It's been proven repeatedly that it's doctored to look old, and the way the body falls is suspicious. That's because it's not a body. It's a cardboard cutout, including cardboard gun in hand, with the arm manipulated by a string to make it appear as if a woman has shot herself. David Hasselhoff aside, there has never been a two dimensional human being. That's why the lack of physical depth can be seen as the cutout is jerked backward by another string before it disappears. We all also know how shooting trajectory and impact work. We also know basic physics, which is why that scene is obviously fake.

As for the other footage and stills, we've seen them several times before in this thread. It's as if the video's creator culled all of his or her information and any real info from this thread, strung it together, and tacked on a fake death scene. Verdict: only worth your time if you want to see a quick synopsis of this thread with a fake suicide tacked onto it.
    Last edited by SomeChick; 09-10-2020 at 05:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeChick View Post
    I chose to watch it with captions because I found the wannabe film noir narrator and his comments added nothing to the story.
    I made it through maybe a minute and couldn't take that voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CWC67 View Post
    I made it through maybe a minute and couldn't take that voice.
    A lot of YouTube video's are like that. How to video's that drone on and on before ever getting to the how to. Computer affects voice overs. The all fail to keep your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by john*thomas View Post
    A lot of YouTube video's are like that. How to video's that drone on and on before ever getting to the how to. Computer affects voice overs. The all fail to keep your attention.
    That's the truth.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on the forums, though I am on the Facebook group. No idea if anyone is still active here, but I took a trip down memory lane tonight to see if there were any new discussions here on Christine. I saw several people mention they’d like to see more of that Suncoast Digest clip. This is the longest one I know of, and I haven’t seen anyone post it. I hope it’s allowed. It’s a clip on Vimeo from the “Kate Plays Christine” movie.

https://vimeo.com/190367794?fbclid=I...3aZYfSg0K6o37g

59. 02-07-2021, 10:32 AM