Thread: Bill Graham

Bill Graham

Concert promoter and artist manager Bill Graham forever changed the way rock and roll is presented. He provided the business and organizational acumen that allowed the anarchic San Francisco scene of the mid-to-late Sixties to flower in venues such as the Fillmore, a dilapidated auditorium that Graham transformed into a tightly run concert hall beginning in late 1966. There, Graham booked such mainstays of the psychedelic era as Jefferson Airplane, the Grateful Dead, Big Brother & the Holding Company and Quicksilver Messenger Service. In 1968, Graham moved the Fillmore into another old dance hall (the Carousel Ballroom, rechristened Fillmore West) and opened Fillmore East in New York. Subsequently, he took over Winterland, another San Francisco concert venue, and branched into band management and tour promotion. A high percentage of the most significant pop-music events of the last thirty years have been produced under the banner ??Bill Graham Presents.? Among other things, Graham brought a new standard of professionalism to the business.
    Graham was born Wolfgang Grajonca on January 8, 1931, in Berlin and literally walked across Europe to escape the Nazis. He was raised in New York by foster parents and moved to San Francisco in the mid-Fifties to pursue an acting career. Instead, events conspired to thrust him into his calling as a concert impresario and business manager. Several fundraisers for the San Francisco Mime Troupe, a political comedy group he managed, were wildly successful due in large part to the Jefferson Airplane. Graham grasped the potential: something electrifying was beginning to happen in San Francisco, and the scene lacked only a focused, business-oriented mind to harness its power.
    A tireless worker known for his gruff exterior and unsullied idealism, Graham challenged the rock audience by booking bills that mingled jazz, blues and folk artists in with all of the psychedelic rock bands of the day. One might walk into the Fillmore and find Miles Davis sharing a bill with Neil Young or the Staple Singers opening for Steppenwolf. His broad, generous view of music and the public??s ability to appreciate it stands in marked contrast to the narrowcasting that would subdivide the rock and roll audience, to its lasting detriment, in the Eighties and beyond. After closing the Fillmores in 1971, Graham continued to run Winterland (site of the Band??s farewell concert, ??The Last Waltz,? in 1978), while managing acts like Santana and the Neville Brothers, promoting national tours for Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones and others, and helping to organize the Live Aid benefit concert of 1985.

Graham was killed in a helicopter crash near Vallejo, California in 1991, while returning home from a Huey Lewis and The News concert at the Concord Pavilion. Graham had attended the event to discuss promoting a benefit concert for the victims of the 1991 Oakland firestorm, after a large portion of the Oakland/Berkeley Hills burned.
    Once he had obtained the commitment from the News to perform, he returned to his helicopter, but was stopped by the bass player from the band, Mario Cippolina, who, in a moment of foresight, pressed Graham to take his limousine. The helicopter crashed shortly after take-off, just 20 miles from the concert site.
    Flying in weather reported as low overcast, rain and gusty winds, the aircraft flew directly into a 223-foot high-voltage tower along Hwy 37, which runs between Vallejo and Marin County.
    Also killed in the crash was Graham's girlfriend, Melissa Gold, ex-wife of author Herbert Gold, and pilot Steve Kahn.

Bill Graham
    Original name: William/Wolfgang Grajonca

Burial: Eternal Home Cemetery
    Colma
    San Mateo County
    California, USA
    Plot: Near the extreme northern corner of the cemetery, close to El Camino Road, & about15 graves from the north end
    Last edited by Serendipity09; 07-23-2009 at 01:18 AM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Hmm i just brought Graham up in a diffrernt thread. Couldnt remember the year he died tho. ....

sassie Guest
    Bill Graham was a really sweet guy. Every year, up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, he'd host a three day open air concert - Mountain Aire, it was called. They still have it, but it's not nearly what it was when Graham was alive.

I think, between 1975 and 1985, I saw every major band there was at that show, and countless local bands. That concert was Graham's personal pet project, and he was so well liked in the industry that some bands would cancel other dates to play at Mountain Aire. Journey was the biggest 'repeater'-I think they played that show several years running.

Anyway, during the show, he'd usually come out and walk among the crowd, gauging reactions to different groups. I'd met him from waiting on him-he had a house at the Lake-so I'd always spot him when he was strolling around. He was just a super nice man. Very genuine, very down to earth-and he had a real talent for treating strangers like old friends.

He was the coolest. So sad when he died.

Forever-27 Guest
    In the weeks after Bill Graham was killed, they had this HUGE outdoor concert in his honor in Golden Gate Park. some 300,000 people went.

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    Bill Graham was one of the reasons I wanted to work in the music industry. I remember the day he died, I was 15 at the time and I'd read everything I could get my hands on about him. It's because of Graham that I took a stab at promoting. So, thanks, Bill for giving me the courage to do something I wanted to do. It was the most fun I've ever had in my entire life. I never managed what Bill managed, but that's OK.

Irishlass Guest
    geez i was thinking this was about billy graham the Preacher...lol

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    The bay area music scene has not been the same since his death, not even close.

crimson and clover Guest

I met him

at a Tesla concert in 1989 in Sacramento. I remember when he died.......of all the bands he was involved with........coming back from a HUEY LEWIS CONCERT? ewwwwwwwww (oh well)

crimson and clover Guest

I guess

I should not be baggin on Huey Lewis, I was at a Tesla concert after all.........

Forever-27 Guest
    He used to put on all thoes day on the Green shows. I have the 4 album set he made called " Last Days of the Fillmore " where he goes into his decision to close down the Fillmore West on a tiny 45 rpm record. All thoes breakfasts they served. All thoes charities that nobody ever heard of but went anyways to support.

Quote Originally Posted by crimson and clover View Post
    I should not be baggin on Huey Lewis, I was at a Tesla concert after all.........
    Nothing wrong with that. They're hometown boys.

Forever-27 Guest
    Ive never been to New York City but if and when I go .... This man was so influencial theyve renamed a section of second avenue in his name. Just steps from where his original Fillmore East once was. Today I think the Fillmore East is a bank. The Fillmore West which was at Van Ness and Market Streets in San Francisco is today a Honda car dealership.

From the web....

The Fillmore East NYC

So the current Fillmore in SF isnt the real thing. That sucks. I thought all these years I was in a historic place when I attended shows there.

Forever-27 Guest
    This was the original Fillmore West
    The corner of South Van Ness and Market streets in San Francisco, August 6, 1972 when Bill graham decided the theaters were no longer turning a profit. The NYC Fillmore and the San Francisco Fillmores closed within a week of each other. Due to the arenas and outdoor concerts that were coming Graham choose to close both.

The building still stands although it is now occupied by SF Honda. The light post (in the center of the picture) still stands and the Bill Graham vintage original exterior architectural details today are hidden behind big screen like Honda panels as today its a Honda car dealership.

Honda of SF ... Personally I think someone needs to buy the place , take the giant H off, and remove the panels or just knock the building down along with all the history theyve managed to cover up. If you look, they use the Summer of Love anniversy for some kind of car sale.

The Fillmore West in San Francisco

Whats become of the Fillmore West today. Someone needs to buy the building and take the H off, remove the panels and bring it back. I hate to see what theyve done with such a historic venue. Christ maybe the best thing is just to knock it down all together along with the history thats been covered up already.

In the 1980s Bill Graham decided to give the theater venues another chance. The " New " Fillmore opened at Geary Blvd and Fillmore Streets in San Franciscos Fillmore district. Its still open today and has concerts regularly.

Last edited by Forever-27; 01-10-2008 at 10:13 PM.

RaRaRamona Guest
    LOL aw I love Tesla...and Tora Tora...lots of oldies.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    This was the original Fillmore West
    The corner of South Van Ness and Market streets in San Francisco, August 6, 1972 when Bill graham decided the theaters were no longer turning a profit. The NYC Fillmore and the San Francisco Fillmores closed within a week of each other. Due to the arenas and outdoor concerts that were coming Graham choose to close both.

The building still stands although it is now occupied by SF Honda. The light post (in the center of the picture) still stands and the Bill Graham vintage original exterior architectural details today are hidden behind big screen like Honda panels as today its a Honda car dealership.

Honda of SF ... Personally I think someone needs to buy the place , take the giant H off, and remove the panels or just knock the building down along with all the history theyve managed to cover up. If you look, they use the Summer of Love anniversy for some kind of car sale.

The Fillmore West in San Francisco
    Y'know, I've lived here my whole life and it never registered that SF Honda is the old Fillmore??? WTF??? I've been taking my car there for years. I'm completely out of it obviously....

Ghoulie Girl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishlass View Post
    geez i was thinking this was about billy graham the Preacher...lol

that is what I thought when I read the title

dovescry1999 Guest
    Wait !
    Listen to this...
    The New Filmore is over the old Muslim Bakery where some of the Zebra Killers worked, and where they chopped up one man so badly, they bound him up and threw him into the Ocean at Baker beach .The Police said he was bound together Like a Turkey in a Store...
    Also...a Few doors down, was the old People's Temple. You know, before they discovered Guyana, and Grape Kool Aid does not mix...

Talk about a corner in History !

That Bus is where the 38 Geary used to stop when I lived there, and the 22 Filmore stopped across from that ! The Bus Island was over a 4 (or6) lane underpass...
    No, I don't miss S.F... Not that much
    Last edited by dovescry1999; 02-01-2008 at 06:32 PM. Reason: added info

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack-O-Lantern View Post
    Y'know, I've lived here my whole life and it never registered that SF Honda is the old Fillmore??? WTF??? I've been taking my car there for years. I'm completely out of it obviously....
    The service department is the same floor that the original auditorium was. Hard to see the floor where people once jammed and danced being used to drain oil and coolant. But it is the very same building. The 3 light pole is the only thing thats been there from the glory years to now. You ought to go in there sometime. They asked me if I would like to trade in my Ford on a honda, .....ummm no thanks. I cant buy an import is what I told the sales guy.

GrinReaper Guest
    How did Graham and the others die? I thought I read that they fell out of the helicopter to their deaths. Is that right?

Forever-27 Guest
    No their helicopter crashed. The blades caught power lines in Vallejo and made it crash. Everyone aboard was killed including Bill Graham

Noelle Page Guest
    What a terrible, scary death.

I heard Bill's favorite band was the Allman Bros....thought that was a neat tidbit.

Allman Bros. were great. Pissed me off when Duane died.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dovescry1999 View Post
    Wait !
    Listen to this...
    The New Filmore is over the old Muslim Bakery where some of the Zebra Killers worked, and where they chopped up one man so badly, they bound him up and threw him into the Ocean at Baker beach .The Police said he was bound together Like a Turkey in a Store...
    Also...a Few doors down, was the old People's Temple. You know, before they discovered Guyana, and Grape Kool Aid does not mix...

Talk about a corner in History !

That Bus is where the 38 Geary used to stop when I lived there, and the 22 Filmore stopped across from that ! The Bus Island was over a 4 (or6) lane underpass...
    No, I don't miss S.F... Not that much
    The Peoples Temple that Jim Jones ran is a post office today by the cornor of Fillmore and Geary Streets

insanejeff Guest
    Weird coincidence: Huey Lewis' "Hip to Be Square" was the song the morons cut to when Jane Dornacker's helicopter went down, killing her.

People heed my warning: I'f you're into Huey Lewis stay the hell away from helicopters!

Forever-27 Guest
    Just saw a biography on him a few nites ago on A&E. Awsome program if you can catch it. I found it in the middle of it so im going to try to see the whole thing next time

King Tut Guest
    http://aviationanalysis.com/gallery/...slideshow.html

Hope this works. It's a pic of the crash. Yikes.

fultondyke Guest
    Eddie Money's song "I'll Get By" was dedicated to Bill...

Frank 'N' Howie Guest
    I'll BE DAMNED!!! I just learned alot about Bill Graham today...He was a cool cat...I mean REALLY!!! Shame the way he went out...He hung out with some of the coolest people in rock and roll...I would love to learn more about the guy...Are there any books, etc about him...I also just found out about his small part in "Apocolypse Now"...

Nicki Guest
    at a Tesla concert in 1989 in Sacramento. I remember when he died.......of all the bands he was involved with........coming back from a HUEY LEWIS CONCERT? ewwwwwwwww (oh well)
    I was at the Huey Lewis Concert that night Bill Graham was there. Actually they were great that night. I was so glad that we were sitting in really good seats under the roof from the rain. Felt really sorry for the people on the lawn. But it was a horrific storm. Still, I was shocked when I got up the next morning and learned his helicopter had crashed. It was NOT a good night to be flying anywhere in that storm.

ratkin638 Guest
    One of the things that made Bill Graham so special and so successful was that he really cared about the musicians. He was legendary in the business for the little personal touches that he added, rather than being one of those "show up, do your show and get out" types that were so common. One time when Janis Joplin was playing one of the Fillmores (West, I think), he made a point of finding out what her favorite color was, and then had her dressing room painted that color.

When Traffic played a show at Fillmore East, he went to the time and expense to find and buy an old traffic light and have it hung over the front of the stage. When he went out to introduce the band that night, the traffic light was red. During his introduction the light changed to yellow, and right as they started to play it turned green!

To some those were just corny gimmicks, but the people on the receiving end of those 'something extra' touches appreciated them. And don't kid yourself...he got fabulous performances from them in return.

For some reason I was thinking Billy Graham
    I am an idiot

Long Gone Day Guest
    I..miss..these..smaller..venues..so...much......I..hate...the..big..stadium..concerts !
    Didnt..two..real..estate..developers..buy..one..of..the..Fillmores..and..find..all.th ese
    original..recordings..posters..memorabilia..in..the..basement..and..are..catelogueing
    it..for..sale..?.....They..just..dont..make..them..like..him..anymore....

Tracyb24 Guest
    I once read a story that Stevie Nicks told about Bill Graham. She said that she was at an outside concert gettin harrassed by some guy. He was whistling and wolf calling. Being an annoying ass. She was trying to sing and was fed up. She said that out of nowhere, here comes Bill Graham and just verbally rips the guy a new hole. She was very surprised and thankful cuz, as she put it, "Bill Graham did not know me and did not have to get involved but, nevertheless, he came to my rescue." I read this in Rolling Stone and have liked him ever since.

Forever-27 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Gone Day View Post
    I..miss..these..smaller..venues..so...much......I..hate...the..big..stadium..concerts !
    Didnt..two..real..estate..developers..buy..one..of..the..Fillmores..and..find..all.th ese
    original..recordings..posters..memorabilia..in..the..basement..and..are..catelogueing
    it..for..sale..?.....They..just..dont..make..them..like..him..anymore....

Yea, the guys who run Wolfgangs Vault bought a whole warehouse of Bill Grahams personel collection from his family. They didnt know what they had until they started going through it all.

Bill Grahams collection included among the old Fillmore posters, house filmed concerts, concert tour shirts, pics, autographs and more. Over the years since his death they have been selling off his music memorbilia and getting the rights and settling legal fees with the rock stars of the 70s and 60s to sell recordings. They may have it all sorted out by now but last I knew they were selling certain concerts, Jefferson Airplane didnt authorize them to sell. There was some legal battle about it. I think by now its sorted out.

WolfgangsVault . com sells all former owned Bill Graham music souvigners.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    Yea, the guys who run Wolfgangs Vault bought a whole warehouse of Bill Grahams personel collection from his family. They didnt know what they had until they started going through it all.

Bill Grahams collection included among the old Fillmore posters, house filmed concerts, concert tour shirts, pics, autographs and more. Over the years since his death they have been selling off his music memorbilia and getting the rights and settling legal fees with the rock stars of the 70s and 60s to sell recordings. They may have it all sorted out by now but last I knew they were selling certain concerts, Jefferson Airplane didnt authorize them to sell. There was some legal battle about it. I think by now its sorted out.

WolfgangsVault . com sells all former owned Bill Graham music souvigners.
    Thanks..for..that..Forever..........I..had..seen..the..report..on..20/20..or
    60.min......or..one..of..those..shows..but..couldnt..remember..who..they
    were....

Forever-27 Guest
    The concerts are expensive but for that fan who just must own everything people pay it. I had a friend who bought the house recording on video of the last concert at Winterland Arena which featured the grateful dead as headline act. The quality was amazing , professionally done even since Bill graham had his house cameras rolling.

Originally the thing about The Airplane was that the band knew Bill recorded it but the recordings both audio and visual were ment for him only. Once they went up for sale on the site the surviving members of JA sued him to stop selling their concerts. I think it was settled out of court. Still Wolfgangs wants alot of money for their posters and concert recordings.
    The recoprdings are every show from both the San Fran, and New York City Fillmore halls, as well as Winterland Arena and most of the local Day on the Green concerts from the Oakland Coliseum Stadium back in the 70s and into the middle 80s
    Last edited by Forever-27; 01-05-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Long Gone Day Guest
    Its..a..virtual..goldmine....Its..funny..his..family..didnt..go..through..that..wareh ouse.
    Guess..either..they..werent..into..music..or..didnt..realize..what..was..there.

When growing up I remember a late night friday music
    show The Midnight Special.
    Many of the groups were from Bill Graham the promoter.

I actually remember going to a few concerts by Bill Graham Presents, and Bill coming out on the stage to introduce the band and telling everyone to behave themselves during the show. I forgot which concerts it was, but I do remember Bill on the stage.

I think I also recall there being a fire at one of Bill's offices (after his death) and quite a few pieces of his memorabilia was lost in the fire?

Forever-27 Guest
    Janis Joplin was once given the boot by Bill for saying in a newspaper artical that Grahams Fillmore was nothing more then a gathering spot for horny servicement waiting to go to Vietnam. Graham didnt like this and gave her the big boot and canceled her show for the night.

Jack-O-Lantern Guest
    I met a lady in the Haight (she works at a head shop there and I was browsing bongs ) a few months ago who orchestrated the light/video effects (you know, those old tie-dye acid-eating type videos that played on screens behind the bands) in the 60s at the old Fillmore for Joplin, the Dead, the Airplane, all of 'em. She had some amazing stories. I love this town.

Aylen Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracyb24 View Post
    I once read a story that Stevie Nicks told about Bill Graham. She said that she was at an outside concert gettin harrassed by some guy. He was whistling and wolf calling. Being an annoying ass. She was trying to sing and was fed up. She said that out of nowhere, here comes Bill Graham and just verbally rips the guy a new hole. She was very surprised and thankful cuz, as she put it, "Bill Graham did not know me and did not have to get involved but, nevertheless, he came to my rescue." I read this in Rolling Stone and have liked him ever since.
    What a great story! I'd never this before - thanks for sharing.

I have much, much love for Bill Graham. I'm still very sad that he's gone.

choochie Guest
    Interesting, I just checked him on wiki and he got a bronze star and a purple heart in the Korean War. I didn't read his whole wiki but there's a link that shows who won the bronze stars in Korea, there weren't many. Wow, he must have had a story to tell...

Historia Guest
    Cool thread, cooler guy!

I don't think that it's been mentioned in this thread but Bill played the promoter with the Playboy Bunnies in Apocalypse Now. Kind of eerie that his exit in that movie was in a helicopter.

48. 08-07-2009, 05:18 PM

Forever-27 Guest

Heres Bill the last night Winterland Arena was open. December 31, 1978.

Heres the crowd that night at Winterland at Post at Steiner Streets a block up from Geary in San Francisco.

Last edited by Forever-27; 06-18-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Forever-27 Guest
    Rhino Records/Video , is famous for obscure out there crap. They have released the film version of " Last Days of the Fillmore ".

Its concert footage of the final week of Bills Fillmore West. Complete with Bills speaking parts.
    Last edited by Forever-27; 06-18-2011 at 11:23 PM.