Page 1 of 19 12310 ... LastLast

Thread: Rev. Jim Jones and the People's Temple

cobbius Guest

Rev. Jim Jones and the People's Temple

Ok, here's my brush with death. My mom dated Jim Jones in High School (Richmond HS in Richmond Indiana). She went to Homecoming with him their Junior year. I can't help but wonder, if they had gotten married, and I was the child, her and I would have been in that whole mess. Scary stuff. It's scary enough to think that she was alone with the freak back in the day, but, she said he was a perfect gentleman back in the 50's. Grew up on a farm in Lynn Indiana, and was quiet and religious. Ain't that always the type?!?!? I guess not back then. Who knew?

The cool thing is, he signed her yearbook, so I guess I have something collectable (to a death hag, anyway), huh?

don't_axe_me Guest
    Makes you think about him going to get her punch at the dance, doesn't it?

candleinthewind Guest
    I was in Junior High when he hosted the Flavor-Aid tasting party and everybody at school was a bit obsessed with what happened. It's all we talked about for a while. Junior death hags.

cobbius Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by don't_axe_me View Post
    Makes you think about him going to get her punch at the dance, doesn't it?
    That was good! It made me chuckle

mommafreak Guest
    Horrible event. Some people are just sick!

Unhappy

Jim was a power-happy SOB and enjoyed having all those people think of him as "God", but when a few of them were unhappy with him down in Jonestown and wanted to leave and also the threat of his "world" crashing down on him when officials were coming to investigate him, he decided to end it all and take everyone with him - rather than go to jail.

He was a coward.

I've always been interested in the Jonestown tragedy.

It was a weird year - since a few weeks later, Mayor Moscone and Harvey Milk were assasinated in SF - another tragedy that should be saved for another thread.

Darrianne Guest
    I was so horrified by the images of those bodies laying over each other, some of them with their arms around one another...the small children and babies.......

Did anyone ever hear the rumour/theory that one of his people turned on him and shot him at the end......although I have heard that he shot himself. Been a long time since I read or discussed this.

Cathy J. Guest
    Just after Jonestown, I remember a news report that said the Jim Jones would have sex with several male members, often right in front of their wives.

Also I remember hearing, if the children misbehaved, he would throw them in a hole and/or in the jungle at night and throw live spiders, snakes and other critters on them.

candleinthewind Guest
    I've heard the same thing about David Kouresh at the Branch Davidian compound. I wouldn't be suprised if their second in command took them both out in the end.
    The gun shot to the head that is in response to Darriannes comment.
    Last edited by candleinthewind; 10-12-2007 at 11:44 AM. Reason: clarification

Darrianne Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by candleinthewind View Post
    I've heard the same thing about David Kouresh at the Branch Davidian compound. I wouldn't be suprised if their second in command took them both out in the end.
    The gun shot to the head that is in response to Darriannes comment.
    I do remember hearing that about David too. Seems to me like I read they found bullet hole in Jim's head? He didn't die from drinking posion?

I was in 4th grade when that happened. I wouldn't touch Kool-Aide for months after that!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]peek-a-boo!!

I was in Junior High when he hosted the Flavor-Aid tasting party and everybody at school was a bit obsessed with what happened. It's all we talked about for a while. Junior death hags.
    Good knowledge. it was flavor-aid and not kool-aid. I wonder what flavor?
    Genocide grape? Bad joke. Wasn't it a cocktail of bug spray and cyanide?

Quote Originally Posted by Darrianne View Post
    I do remember hearing that about David too. Seems to me like I read they found bullet hole in Jim's head? He didn't die from drinking posion?
    He had a bullet hole in the head. I think one of the guards shot him - one of the few people who escaped.

candleinthewind Guest
    Flavor-Aid was the cheap stuff my mom used to buy and it came in flavors like grape, orange, and red. That's why I've always remembered it. I think Jim used the grape and the cyanide was probably for flavor because it had none worth tasting.

Flavor-Aid was the cheap stuff my mom used to buy and it came in flavors like grape, orange, and red. That's why I've always remembered it. I think Jim used the grape and the cyanide was probably for flavor because it had none worth tasting.
    And he was too much of a coward to drink any of it - which is why he probably was shot. Any of the people who refused to drink it - were shot, or had it injected in them.

Lisamarie Guest

Cool

Anyone ever hear the audio tape that was recording as they all drink the juice..its pretty disturbing....Jim Jones is telling them they are going to come in and kill all thier children and then kill all of them , and there is even one old lady who gets up and is trying to talk sense into them all and saying how is killing ourselves going to help and they all start yelling at her and calling her a coward..and she keeps saying maybe the plane will come to pick us up ...I guess she ends up drinking the juice cause these people were just attacking her , talk about angry warped people ! The worst is the little children whos moms are shoving it down their throats and they are screaming!! They are gagging and crying telling their moms it taste bad ..it must ahve been a painful death because they all scream and gag allot and it seems to take a long time . What stupid people.

Darrianne Guest

I'm with ya! Mama used to buy that all the time too and I was thinking the cyanide prolly made it taste better. Lordy, I hated that stuff. She also used powered milk, which I puked one night... now that is gross.

Oops, just call me off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisamarie View Post
    Anyone ever hear the audio tape that was recording as they all drink the juice..its pretty disturbing....Jim Jones is telling them they are going to come in and kill all thier children and then kill all of them , and there is even one old lady who gets up and is trying to talk sense into them all and saying how is killing ourselves going to help and they all start yelling at her and calling her a coward..and she keeps saying maybe the plane will come to pick us up ...I guess she ends up drinking the juice cause these people were just attacking her , talk about angry warped people ! The worst is the little children whos moms are shoving it down their throats and they are screaming!! They are gagging and crying telling their moms it taste bad ..it must ahve been a painful death because they all scream and gag allot and it seems to take a long time . What stupid people.
    That was from the "Jonestown" documentary that came out last year.

Lisamarie Guest
    wasent it creepy though??? you really get a good idea of the mind control he had over these people ! I mean it was out there!!

Lisamarie Guest
    the past where he goes 'mother, mother ...mother to the woman who was his long time secretary (I guess he called her mother) and he is trying to calm her dwon and you can hear the chocking sounds and heis telling them just go to sleep...go to sleep....I would have been gone !!! There would be a poof of smoke in my shape and I would be hauling ass through the jungle!!!!!

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:48 AM.

I knew several people who died at Jonestown. One lady was black and the others were a white family. I don't like to talk about this too much, just don't like to revisit the whole thing in my mind, but we knew them from another group they used to belong to in Los Angeles. One of them wanted us to go hear Jones speak in the Bay area, but my mom had a bad feeling about him, thought he was a phony, and refused to go. (thank god). We received strange letters from our friend when she went to Jonestown, as if they were being forced to be written like a script. After she died in the suicides (actually murders because some of them resisted) , they took her body to Dover Air Force Base and we don't know if she was ever claimed by anyone because she was elderly and had no family left. We don't know where she's buried or anything. We know nothing about the other family or what happened to them. We heard they resisted though. We thought about going to Dover but it was just too awful and we couldn't have done anything anyway. It's amazing to read everyone's experiences and memories.......many of the people there were good people, they just got trapped by a crazy egotist who thought he was God.

Lisamarie Guest
    yeah it was really sick , he took all these people who meant well and turned them into absent minded followers to the point they were willing to kill their own children and themselves. Its very bothersome to hear ...I cant stand the children crying and gagging. And then he shoots himself ...no poision for him. Its so stupid when people are freaking out cause it hurts he keeps saying just go to sleep , it will be quicker if you just go to sleep.

yeah it was really sick , he took all these people who meant well and turned them into absent minded followers to the point they were willing to kill their own children and themselves. Its very bothersome to hear ...I cant stand the children crying and gagging. And then he shoots himself ...no poision for him. Its so stupid when people are freaking out cause it hurts he keeps saying just go to sleep , it will be quicker if you just go to sleep.
    Yeah, Jones was basically a Marxist/Communist political manipulator, not a religious man. But the people who went there, many of them didn't understand his political side. He hid behind a religious or godly element, but he really only wanted power. I thank GOD (and I mean the real God, of which I know there is one), that neither me nor my family members ever went anywhere near him. It's just a pity that good people can get duped and tricked by nuts like him. That's why I always tell people to stay away from organized "groups" and just express their own opinions, not the group "leader" and his/her ideas. Most leaders are wack.......unfortunately. May he rest in HELL............

Guest Guest

Which is why I'm an atheist - due to all the "mind control" stuff of most religions. And with this crazy cult stuff going on - who really knows which religion is believable or not?

I'm a good person with a good heart and treat people the way I'd want to be treated - that's about as "religious" as I'll ever be. I don't want my mind and life controlled living by a list of rules/commandments.

That's just me...

Boxofpandoraz Guest
    Out of everything I have ever seen or heard in my macabre little "studies"...That recording was the most disturbing of them all.

Telling the parents to calm their children down as they're poisoning them...Telling them that they're the ones upsetting the children.

Words can't even begin to describe how disturbed I feel after hearing that...

tensecondstolove Guest
    I heard that too! Soooo creepy. At least I think I heard part of it. I remember just hearing the children screaming and crying. That's what really got to me. I kept thinking, what kind of idiots would make their children drink that? Ugh the whole thing just makes me sick!

Bellfire Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tensecondstolove View Post
    I heard that too! Soooo creepy. At least I think I heard part of it. I remember just hearing the children screaming and crying. That's what really got to me. I kept thinking, what kind of idiots would make their children drink that? Ugh the whole thing just makes me sick!

They had no choice. There were gunman with rifles trainned on anyone that tried to escape and he ordered people to be killed that didn't drink the stuff. What I don't understand is why they didn't turn on Jim. I guess brainwashed means just that.

Gardner32 Guest
    Damn, that link to the recording keeps locking my computer up. Anyone got a different link?

Mrs. Watson Guest
    I've watched the documentary about it on History channel, they play part of the recording. I can't listen to it all. I just can't. I have a 4 year old and a 14 year old and it's one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard.

He was one sick f*ck. Total mind control, cloaked with "God's Love".

Jersey Girl Guest

Jonestown ~ The Jim Jones mass suicide story

You know, I never really knew the whole story about this. I just knew Jim Jones headed a cult and they all committed suicide by drinking a grape Kool Aid type drink laced with cyanide.
    The other day, I caught the last 10 mins/ or so of a special on this on the History channel, and I was transfixed. I am simply amazed at cult-like thinking. I just couldn't imagine being under someone's control like that. I'd be interested in reading up on this.

There's already a thread on this, honey.

Jersey Girl Guest
    Oops! I'm sorry... you know I had a feeling there might be and I quickly glanced through this area before I had posted... and I didn't see anything. I must have missed it, I apologize.

I just finished listening to the tape. I can not even begin to describe how I feel right now. I just can not understand the mentality of these people. This is probably the most horrific thing I've ever heard. God have mercy on their souls. The poor babies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

Kathyf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cobbius View Post
    Ok, here's my brush with death. My mom dated Jim Jones in High School (Richmond HS in Richmond Indiana). She went to Homecoming with him their Junior year. I can't help but wonder, if they had gotten married, and I was the child, her and I would have been in that whole mess. Scary stuff. It's scary enough to think that she was alone with the freak back in the day, but, she said he was a perfect gentleman back in the 50's. Grew up on a farm in Lynn Indiana, and was quiet and religious. Ain't that always the type?!?!? I guess not back then. Who knew?
    Cobb did your Mom feel he was really weird or anything or just a highschool date?
    The cool thing is, he signed her yearbook, so I guess I have something collectable (to a death hag, anyway), huh?

cobbius Guest
    She did say he was kinda quiet and creepy in school. When he was growing up, she said he would pretend to be a preacher and play "church and sunday school" like most kids will pretend play.

I started listening to this. Couldn't even finish, especially when the first children were crying (i have 6 and 3 year old daughters). I have never understood anyone who could be led into believe a maniac like this. "I have never lied to you...." Um, yes you did.

Makes me wonder about the whole David Kouresh, Scientology, all of those "cults."

BabyDoll Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardner32 View Post
    Damn, that link to the recording keeps locking my computer up. Anyone got a different link?
    Mine too.
    sucks

EDIT: Nevermind. It's up on youtube:
    Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uzEAYv6RT8
    Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTDSfUHg8d4
    And here's the transcipt http://employees.oneonta.edu/downinll/mass_suicide.htm

And an interesting video with a lot of death pics (so be warned) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwkqjjffzEk
    Last edited by BabyDoll; 11-06-2007 at 11:18 PM.

tensecondstolove Guest
    ^Don't worry about it hun. It's no biggie! But yeah I know what you mean---that story creeps me out.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyDoll View Post
    Mine too.
    sucks
    It locked mine up too. You can go to Youtube.com and type in jonestown. It brings the recording up in two different segments. I was able to hear it there. Be warned..it's awful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] ~smoochies~

HelenaHandbasket Guest
    I heard the tape once, that's all I could take. The woman named Christine who fought with him should be remembered at least as trying to stop it. I've heard rumors that she was injected because she wouldn't drink. But, there are so many rumors about Jonestown.

In my opinion, most of his followers were good people who thought they were doing something good for mankind. Before Jones went all batshit crazy, his group did a lot of good for the poor, the elderly and minorities. I don't blame the followers as much as I blame Jones and his hard-core inner circle types. One of them, I can't remember her name, slit the throats of her own kids. She wasn't in Jonestown that night, but she rounded up her kids and killed them all before killing herself.

I was only 3 when it happened. I don't remember hearing about it until much later. Now, I'm fascinated by it.

hoxharding Guest

to Cobbius

I went to Richmond High School(Jim wasn't around by then though)
    I heard Jim also worked at Reid Hospital.

hoxharding Guest
    According to the local paper, Jim's stepson?) lives in Richmond and Jim' wife is buried in Earlham Cemetary.
    There used to be all sort of rumors about Jim being buried here. A friend of mine searched Earlham trying to find an unmarked grave that was supposed to be Jim's(he isn't buried there)
    The dumbest ever rumor was one where Jim's ashes supposedly were scattered in a local junk yard(NOT)

PvN73 Guest
    I watched the documentry Jonestown as well at the cinema and it scared the hell out of me. it was just awful.

It makes you wonder about all sorts of cults and things - there are so many of them that you dont hear about either. How they pray on people who are feeling low and need some support. Hopefully I never get sucked into one of those.

LOTS of info on here:
    http://www.rickross.com/groups/jonestown.html
    the 'he lived to tell' section l found interesting/depressing

hoxharding Guest
    I am pretty positive that james Jones Jr lives in my hometown. They interviewed him for the Pal-Item.

Jazbabee Guest
    I personally like to believe that there is a VERY special spoit reserved for Jim Jones in the VIP section of hell !!

RoRo Guest
    I remember when this happened and recently watched the documentary and heard the recording...I just don't understand what people are misssing to be able to turn themselves over to someone like this....it was just so tragic...I vividly remember the pictures of the swelled bodies

Last edited by Dan33185; 12-21-2010 at 01:40 AM.