Thread: Gord Downie, Tragically Hip

PurrPurr Guest

Gord Downie, Tragically Hip

This is so incredible sad. We knew that Gord Downie had brain cancer, but he was so young and gave so much.

Loved his music. Sadly, I never got to see him live.

May he RIP.

expected, but still a suprise. his music will live on, as cheesy as that sounds.

I must be the only Canadian who never got this group. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Make that that two Canadians. Sorry to hear, much too young. But I never liked their music. RIP.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    Make that that two Canadians. Sorry to hear, much too young. But I never liked their music. RIP.
    around the clock radio and TV coverage - you would think the Queen had died.

Canadian royalty I suppose. Trudeau on the verge of tears was a bit much !
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Vive la Canadienne!!!

RIP - too young.

Stay strong, Canada.
    He'd have wanted it that way, y'all.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

pratt-bede Guest
    Only learnt about him recently, his song was in the Canadian series "Anne" and I liked it a lot. R.I.P.

Happened to be in BC at time of his death last week and coverage of it was nonstop on Canadian tv. I'd never heard of him before, but apparently he was regarded as the Elton John of the Great White North.

NicolasWrage Guest

Gord Downie Tragically Hip

A few months ago, in December, Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer. Shitty news.

Not my favorite band but I've started listening to them more these days. I remember the last show being on almost every channel here in Canada.

12 million households watching in a country of 35 million? And the number of venues that sold out just playing it on a television. It really was something special.

I always thought of them as one of Canada's biggest bands.... but that night was mind blowing. Truly Canada's best.

Neil Young would be the only death that would be viewed as a nationnal tragedy other than Gord Downie.

No other event in Canada would even come close. Sports, anything. His philanthropy and charity work not even to mention.

RIP.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    No, me too he was a big time jerk that loved Don Cherry
    and Doug Ford also Mike Harris.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I disagree; his was the most skilled and charismatic Canadian musical ensemble ever.
    Pecunia Loquitur Taurus Cacas Ambulat

Quote Originally Posted by Follower View Post
    I disagree; his was the most skilled and charismatic Canadian musical ensemble ever.
    Sadly, I think it's true. He would of loved a Donald Trump person here in Canada.
    Carolyn(1958-2009) always in my heart.

I never cared for the band or their music. It reminds me of what a critic said of The Average White Band and their music, "Average White Band. I'll say they are". That pretty well sums up what I think of TTH. When someone says name a Canadian band the first one that comes to mind is always The Guess Who. I am sure there are others, but I need time to think about it. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherlondon View Post
    No, me too he was a big time jerk that loved Don Cherry
    and Doug Ford also Mike Harris.
    Examples? I can't really find anything.

They're not even close to my top 10... even 20 favorite bands... but I can't help bust respect their knack for writing timeless music.

I don't get Rush or The Guess Who... but I totally respect them and can stand back and say, hey.... they had talent... and those are 2 other bands that captured the country.

I would say Neil Young doesn't really do it for me beyond a couple songs... but I don't want to get my citizenship revoked lol.

Personally I prefer when people don't like my favorite bands. I think Evan Dando had just as much talent but people dunno him. Oh well. Cheaper tickets, smaller venues.
    "Death has come to your little town, Sheriff." -Dr. Loomis

Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    Examples? I can't really find anything.

They're not even close to my top 10... even 20 favorite bands... but I can't help bust respect their knack for writing timeless music.

I don't get Rush or The Guess Who... but I totally respect them and can stand back and say, hey.... they had talent... and those are 2 other bands that captured the country.

I would say Neil Young doesn't really do it for me beyond a couple songs... but I don't want to get my citizenship revoked lol.

Personally I prefer when people don't like my favorite bands. I think Evan Dando had just as much talent but people dunno him. Oh well. Cheaper tickets, smaller venues.

Evan Dando is one of the most clever songwriters of all time. Love him.