Thread: The Keepers - The Murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik

The Keepers - The Murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik

Has anyone watched this on Netflix yet?

https://www.netflix.com/title/80122179

I have, it's good. I check their facebook page once in awhile, to see if there have been any new leads or if they finally caught who did it.

Sister Cathy Cesnik.

The suspects

Cathy's apartment, next to Billy, who was also a suspect, Cathy's car how it was parked when she was missing, police suspect her killer drove her car back and parked it across the street from her usual parking spot.

Cathy.

Was she killed because she was going to uncover what had been happening at the school?
    Last edited by pkstracy; 06-08-2017 at 08:50 AM.

It's in my queue to watch, but I haven't seen it yet....
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

Quote Originally Posted by RiaBrown View Post
    It's in my queue to watch, but I haven't seen it yet....

This case is really haunting me. I just can't imagine the injustice that these victims are experiencing, not to mention the murdered nun.

I think I mentioned this murder in another thread about another possible murder by a priest, but anyway, leave it to the Daily Mail to sum it up:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4470142/Inside-grisly-unsolved-murder-Sister-Cathy-Cesnik.html

The Telegraph had a run at the story and the Netflix doc as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand...netflixs-true/

Just as an aside, we had School Sisters of Notre Dame at our school when I was growing up. I remember when they still had those habits--they started shortening the skirts and allowing some of their hair to show by the early 1970s.
    Until a couple of years ago, I had never heard of this murder before.

Quote Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
    I think I mentioned this murder in another thread about another possible murder by a priest, but anyway, leave it to the Daily Mail to sum it up:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4470142/Inside-grisly-unsolved-murder-Sister-Cathy-Cesnik.html

The Telegraph had a run at the story and the Netflix doc as well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/on-demand...netflixs-true/

Just as an aside, we had School Sisters of Notre Dame at our school when I was growing up. I remember when they still had those habits--they started shortening the skirts and allowing some of their hair to show by the early 1970s.
    Until a couple of years ago, I had never heard of this murder before.
    OOPPS, I did a search several different ways and nothing came up. Sorry.

Missa it's okay as long as there wasn't another thread made about the same one as this one, and this case was only mentioned in another thread about a priest killing someone.

Little more than halfway through the series. OMG. If one could not only reach through the TV, but beyond the grave and strangle people with one's bare hands.......

I agree, seurto, I would have loved to have strangled a few people on there.

It is so infuriating. THEY GOT AWAY WITH IT! Pisses me off!

Yep pisses me off as well.

Unbelievable --- very reminiscent of Scientology, or is it just me.........

Wow, that was riveting!! I watched it over the past few days on fanstash.se. For the first episode, I thought it was going to be an enthralling mystery. Then it dived right into priest rape for several episodes. Yipes.

I could not help thinking of one of my best friends from childhood. She's the first face that my mind sees any time I think of institutional Church abuse. When the ginormity of the problem was publlicised in the 1990s, I thought back to the Catholic church my parents dragged me along to when I was a little girl. Most of the victims were men who'd been preyed upon as little boys, so I looked into my memory to see if there were any odd situations that had occurred with the boys there. I could not think of any, so I was relieved that little St. Eugene's in Chepachet, Rhode Island had been spared.

WRONG! In the early noughties, I was discussing this issue with my friend. Much to my horror, she admitted that SHE had been raped by one of the locum priests there when she was about five. He had recently died, so she felt free to talk about it. Her family did not even attend that church, they merely lived in the neighbourhood. She explained that she and two or three other tiny little girls from the area would visit the rectory unsupervised. Imagine what a charming character the priest would have to be with the parents to get them to trust him.

She said he had a puppet of a squirrel. Oh, shit. I flashed onto an image of that exact puppet. One time, my mother took me to visit my paternal aunt, who was a nun. She lived in a large private house with several other nuns. A priest was visiting them. As I left the group of ladies to find the bathroom, I opened a door to a hall. I almost bumped into the priest, who was wearing his squirrel puppet. I don't recall ever getting creep vibes off of him, but I never liked any of the priests. I don't have specific memories with names and faces to assign to the various locum priests who worked at Eugene's. There were at least two because the main priest was sick for a while and also injured for a while. I don't recall the puppet in any other scenario.

It's terrifying how close I was to such Satanic evil without even knowing it. Happily, I used my innate common sense (in the psychology field it's called "intellectual courage") to declare the church nonsense when I was eleven and walk away.

What the documentary proves more than anything is that, in real life, the 'whole picture' almost never becomes clear, the puzzle never fully solved. We're all just bumbling around trying to learn whatever we can.
    I LOVE the quote that one of the ladies had on a plaque in her house, "If you know the way, light it for others." Beautiful.

This was the thread I mentioned-- the murder of Irene Garza in 1960. (I couldn't remember the names either so I googled "priest kills woman 1960" and then searched Irene's name here.) Sorry for the confusion...

http://www.findadeath.com/forum/showthread.php?35691-Did-priest-kill-former-beauty-queen-in-1960s&highlight=irene+garza

Depending on your point of view, there's either been a setback or a vindication of sorts, regarding the DNA of the deceased Fr. Maskell. It doesn't match the crime scene:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0511ab0b7cff

Sister Cathy's (real) sister Marylin sent an open letter to the Archbishop of Baltimore (who used to be the Bishop in our area):

http://baltimorepostexaminer.com/sister-cathy-sister-slain-nun-pens-letter-archbishop-lori/2017/06/20

Last edited by Linnie; 06-24-2017 at 10:45 AM.

You're right Linnie it doesn't match, but I feel he had something to do with it, I think he hired the two men mentioned in the movie, that were uncles of the the women they interviewed, Bill Schmidt and Eddie?

Just binged the entire thing yesterday and am scouring the internet for more information(as you do). Anyone know where I can find the crime scene photos?

Soaring, there aren't any, there is one picture that shows the body but it's whited out.