Thread: Firefox Security Issue

Firefox Security Issue

I just received a notice from my website security software stating that there is a serious and active threat utilizing a security flaw in several versions of the Firefox browser.

You guys using Firefox might want to switch to something else for general web browsing for at least the next few hours.

Here are the details:

https://www.wordfence.com/blog/2016/...m_medium=email

Here's the body of the email:

We're sending out this unscheduled emergency bulletin to alert you that there is a 0 day vulnerability in the wild that affects Firefox web browsers and the Tor browser bundle. The vulnerability emerged a few hours ago.

We recommend you temporarily switch to a non-firefox based browser until the Firefox dev team has a chance to release a fix. That should happen quite quickly.

We would like to encourage you to share this alert with the larger web community. It's unusual for us to send out a non-WordPress related vulnerability, but the impact of this may be wide-spread. We also suspect that WordPress websites may be used as a watering hole to infect vulnerable web browsers using this new exploit.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Thanks. I debooted it and am using Chrome. My editors run smoother on google anyway. And no script thingys. It's just slower about downloading pages.

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    Thanks. I debooted it and am using Chrome. My editors run smoother on google anyway. And no script thingys. It's just slower about downloading pages.
    Best to play it safe - this one could affect millions of computers in the next few hours. I'm sure that it will be quickly addressed.

Sorry you had to move me - I started to put it here but it opted for Everything Else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Best to play it safe - this one could affect millions of computers in the next few hours. I'm sure that it will be quickly addressed.

Sorry you had to move me - I started to put it here but it opted for Everything Else instead.
    That's all right. It's not like you make a habit of it. I read an article on Best Buy's site that said FF is on it. So maybe it will be fixed before long.

I did not receive any security notice. I use Firefox for everything. I did a search and could not find anything. Should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    I did not receive any security notice. I use Firefox for everything. I did a search and could not find anything. Should I be concerned?
    I'm paranoid so I quit FF and am using Chrone, which I admit I like better than FF. So far.

My security software always tells me when there is a problem. I guess they have resolved the issue, when I went to shut down FF they updated me to V.50.0.2 and they said several security issues had been resolved among other things. I hope so, I prefer it to Chrome.
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    My security software always tells me when there is a problem. I guess they have resolved the issue, when I went to shut down FF they updated me to V.50.0.2 and they said several security issues had been resolved among other things. I hope so, I prefer it to Chrome.
    I own several websites - that notice came from the security software (Wordfence) that I use on my sites; not from something like we have on our PC's - Norton, AVG, etc. They normally don't release info concerning non-WordPress matters; they considered this one serious enough to spread the news.
    This is what is called a "watering hole" situation - you have to be using a vulnerable version of FF and you have to visit a site that has been compromised by the hackers. It's like wildlife visiting a watering hole and being pounced upon by predators lying in wait. If that were to happen you likely wouldn't get any warning from your AV; just suddenly your system would be hijacked; probably with ransomware - nasty stuff.

It looks like Mozilla patched the problem about mid morning today; it is probably all good at this point for anyone not already infected; provided you have FF set to update automatically or have manually downloaded\installed the update from this morning.

If any of you guys have blogs or websites using Wordpress and you aren't using Wordfence - I highly recommend it - I will not put up a Wordpress site without it.

I didn't turn my computer on today until after 7pm EST, so I assume that the issue had been taken care of earlier in the day. Still, things like that happening make me a little nervous. And thanks for the info !
    To really know people is to be able to read between the lines on their faces.

I'm on both browsers until I start another round of editing. As I said I like Chrome but the horizontal bar acts wacky. So I'm going back to FF. They did update and for the first time ever when I clicked on the boot up icon an update icon appeared. I usually don't know until my screen starts slowing down and freezing. Ditto W7. Sometimes there's a prompt to restart, but hardly ever.