Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Bowie

RIP, rock legend.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "I just know I'm not the greatest power on this earth. I didn't create myself, because I would have done a hell of a better job." -Layne Staley

David Bowie has been the love of my Rock and Roll life since 1973... I will miss knowing that he is happy and writing and with his family... I can't believe he is just gone... He was smart to have direct cremation. There could have been a real cult of people after pictures of his funeral, and stupid Christian assholes picketing. He thought it through and made a thoughtful, smart decision. I love him. I recently sent a fan letter to him, but, I'm sure he didn't waste his time reading letters from the likes of me, and if he did sign the picture I sent, I'm sure someone in the office took it. RIP Mr. Jones, and Good Bye to David Bowie.

as you can tell from my sig I have been a fan for a long time. Some of my friends called me not to tell me he was dead but to offer condolences.Never met him but glad to know him as well as I did. Miss him.
    Knowlege Comes With Deaths release

Heaven's on the pillow,it's Silence competes with Hell

"If you don't go to other peoples' funerals,they won't come to yours."-Yogi Berra

MidniteLamp, I got a lot of sympathy texts from people too. My 17 year old niece wore a Bowie shirt to school that I had given to her as a gift. She sent me a selfie with a sad face. Such a sweet girl. It was a little like when Princess Diana died, people who didn't know her were so sad. Same thing with David Bowie, to a smaller scale of course, but people were really touched by his music and creativity and felt the blow of his passing like they'd lost a family member.

I saw a cartoon... All sorts of people, tall, fat, old, kids, babies... all with the lightening bolt on their faces... It read... He left his mark on all of us. Summed the feeling really well, I thought.

Tomorrow on channel 5 in the UK they are showing Labyrinth at 5.05pm

qulevergrrl Guest
    This one was the hardest, this has been a deadly few months. I listened to Changesone back and forth for one straight school year. My dad promised this guy who went to prison that he and I would live in his home and take care of it and his things. The dude had this giant Bose system. Unbelievable. I took care of the system, but I used the hell out of that thing! The house was insane, so I'd lose myself in that room with Bowie and those Bose speakers blasting the entire house.

Spliff Guest
    Some of my favorite stuff was Tin Machine. Always liked any of his music usually, but Tin Machine in the early 90's was when I started delving more into his catalog.

Was watching that last episode of Marc on youtube a few days before he died thinking about Marc Feld (T. Rex) and him falling off the stage and Bowie laughing at him.

Such a weird show, can't get much more weird 70's than that. Was about a month after I was born in Summer '77.

Ksiezna Guest
    Heh, this is cute. The day Bowie died, NASA saw spiders on Mars: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a6807361.html

Spliff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksiezna View Post
    Heh, this is cute. The day Bowie died, NASA saw spiders on Mars: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a6807361.html
    wow! lol ^ how strange.

Here's the episode of Marc with Bowie, good one for the death haggery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1akXk48-waM

It's sad. I still have trouble wrapping my mind around this. There's a few people I have a really hard time accepting they are dead. Michael Jackson and Patrick Swayze are two. I can't tell you why. Well with Michael Jackson it's just that I've seen him go from a kid to an adult and he's been around my entire life. I was in high school in the 80's when he was really huge. I have a feeling Bowie is going to be one of those. I'm glad I got to see him live. It was around 1990.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You are so lucky you got to see him live! That is awesome!

For anyone interested, Time has a special David Bowie edition out and I thought it was great. I just bought it at the grocery store today. It was $15 something with the tax, a lot for a magazine, but I think they did a really good job with it. It's much better than the ones I got after MJ died.

I keep watching the documentary Five Years, and how in that time frame he completely changes his image, look and music. Where so many stay the same, he was constantly evolving and trying out new things. Just brilliant.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

I found Trent Reznor's interview one of the most interesting. I imagine many here have already read it but it's interesting that David told him while they toured together that he was going to do a lot of newer stuff and the fans are going to want the older stuff but it's what he wanted to do.

I was sooooo bereft when Bowie died. He was a true original, and the man had style for days. He and Iman were so awesome together.
    The most dangerous woman of all is the one who refuses to rely on your sword to save her because she carries her own.

- R.H. Sin

Quote Originally Posted by Mansfield67 View Post
    I keep watching the documentary Five Years, and how in that time frame he completely changes his image, look and music. Where so many stay the same, he was constantly evolving and trying out new things. Just brilliant.

I will have to check that out. That's one of the amazing things in this magazine. It had stories and general stuff about him, then it went through the decades, showing how he and his music changed. And somehow most of everything he did still worked. He did what he wanted and was an amazing talent.

Saw this on Bill Maher last week - story of a 15 year old girl who had sex with Bowie (and other big named stars) in 1972. Bowie was 25 at the time. Social mores have changed since then - you can only imagine the scandal today.

https://www.thrillist.com/entertainm...to-david-bowie

Yes, times have changed... there were songs about sex with underage girls, nobody seemed to mind. McKenzie Phillips told a story about Mick Jagger being her first when she was a young teen. He waited for her dad to go to the market and went for it.

I wish I could have had David Bowie as my first... But, 15 does seem awfully young. I have a friend who had her first time with a rock star. She was 14.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    I think a big part of the successful secrecy was only telling a VERY small group of people, and even though they were people who worked with him as David Bowie, they were truly friends with David Jones.

This is exactly what Freddie Mercury did. He only told the band that he had an illness, and that they could figure it out for themselves what it was. He didn't even say the diagnosis, AIDS. From then on, the band tenaciously protected him, and lied about the illness to protect his privacy. Of course, then was speculation in the press, but even then Freddie didn't reveal to the world that he had AIDS until literally his last hours - when he finally sent out the press release, within 24 hours he passed away.

David was wise to do what he did. It's hard enough to fight to save yourself from a cancer that usually has such a grim prognosis, but imagine having to do that with the world watching.

Again, RIP Mr. Jones. Iman and his daughter has the world's thoughts and prayers with them.

David Bowie "Five Years" is on PBS tonight. 2100 Central.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

I think that other celebrities should follow his lead and stop tweeting about every burp and blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    I think that other celebrities should follow his lead and stop tweeting about every burp and blink.
    So agree. I don't tweet or follow but read enough about it. So many tweet is haste and then delete when they get jumped.

I felt different when Freddie Mercury didn't tell anyone he was sick. At the time, it seemed like there was a lot of shame around AIDS, and I thought that was why he didn't talk about it. Also, his band mates were adamantly denying he was sick. But I get it now, it's a very personal thing, and he was setting an example for other celebrities.

Konye West is an example of when Twitter runs wild. The other day he was berating his ex-girlfriend, the baby and the daddy. He went on and on. TMZ of course kept us all up to date. It was amusing, but did he really need to do that? Another thing is drunk tweeting, once it's out there, even if you delete it, some one has done a screen grab and it's there forever. I wish I had been more discrete when I first started posting in chat rooms on AOL. Luckily I'm not famous and nobody cares, but I wrote some dumb things.

Was there a main page obituary done for David Bowie? With a picture of his mail box? I looked and couldn't find anything.

I looked under David Jones and found the following. mostly a rehash of info that's everywhere but it does have some interesting graphics. http://www.economist.com/news/obitua...-starman-jones

It's strange that they said his career peaked in the first 10 years. I keep thinking about how he is gone... his hair, his eyes, his nose, his ears, his vocal cords... all gone.

He was relevant to the very end of his life, and beyond. You and I know that.

Yes, CleanSkull you are so right. He so creative person, with so much talent. He probably didn't waste time watching TV. I was telling my niece that he had been my favorite since I was 17, which is her age right now. It would be like if she still loves One Direction in 42 years.

Um, I dunno about that. David Bowie had talent.

30. 03-13-2016, 10:49 AM

Vlad, I thought of that too... I guess it's wishful thinking.

I got the Rolling Stone memorial magazine, haven't read it yet, but the pictures are great. Mick Rock's photo exhibit is coming back to the Taschen Gallery in Los Angeles, if you're in the area. It was an amazing show, it was like being in church. I noticed that the price of the book signed by Mick Rock and David Bowie went from $1700 to $4000.

If anyone is interested, you can take a virtual tour of the gallery on-line. Taschen Gallery in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by Hidium View Post
    Vlad, I thought of that too... I guess it's wishful thinking.

I got the Rolling Stone memorial magazine, haven't read it yet, but the pictures are great. Mick Rock's photo exhibit is coming back to the Taschen Gallery in Los Angeles, if you're in the area. It was an amazing show, it was like being in church. I noticed that the price of the book signed by Mick Rock and David Bowie went from $1700 to $4000.

If anyone is interested, you can take a virtual tour of the gallery on-line. Taschen Gallery in Los Angeles.
    I have a subscription to Rolling Stone, so is that issue something that subscribers will automatically get or do I need to search it out? If you know.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

A tribute was held last week at Carnegie Hall

http://nypost.com/2016/04/01/david-b...d-have-wanted/

a new doc says he didn't know he was dying until three months before the end

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/06/david-...203.1395969249

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    a new doc says he didn't know he was dying until three months before the end

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/06/david-...203.1395969249
    I watched it and it was really good. Right until near the end he was still adamant about working even with the cancer. He had told some of the people he was working on the stage play but the majority had no clue. He was even talklign about doing a sequel right near the end. It's on for an hour and a half but it's a good show. It starts from when he had his heart attack in the 00s and then goes to when he decided to do the come back album right to the end.

I have always loved Bowie. And even though his passing came as a shock to me, I respect him for keeping it a private matter for family , not like a lot of celebs who hit the net when they get a paper cut. A class act, always was, always will be.
    Last edited by Mansfield67; 01-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Already a year. '16 sucked.

Wow a year already...dang.

Yeah it sucks. I can't believe a year has already gone by.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I loved David Bowie, he was awesome, generous and massively talented, what a legend!! RIP David, you are missed by many.