Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Just watched his new video yesterday, thinking "That's kind of different" only to wake up this morning to find out he's gone...
    Watching it makes me feel like when I watch Johnny Cash singing "Hurt". :-(
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

KarmaKat Guest
    Just shocked, sad and shocked. My heart is breaking. He was a true entertainment legend and gone to soon
    RIP Starman, Goblin King, Genius

Damn.

He always was one to do the unexpected.

RIP, Mr. Jones.
    A faulty hypothesis forming:
    A German scientist using Iranian physics and French mathematics.

Hate to bring her up to you die hard fans, but Angie Bowie has been one of the housemates on Celebrity Big Brother - UK. The season's show only started about five days ago, but she's been talking about him. Apparently she hasn't seen him in decades and really doesn't/didn't think too highly about him and their son, Duncan, apparently hates Angie and she hasn't spoken to him in years either. Anyway, since the housemates don't know what's going on in the world, Big Brother had to tell her about his passing. They didn't show that on television but they showed a clip of what to expect tomorrow night and true to her form, she will manipulate the other housemates into being nice to her over his passing, even though like I said, they didn't even like one another.

RIP David.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

He said living with Angie was like living with a blow torch. He figured out what many of us don't realize until we are older and in that I envy him.

For some odd reason the Jr High I went to decided to install a juke box in the gym. I dunno, maybe they thought they could make a few bucks. Anyway we
    were allowed to play it at lunch time. Young Americans always takes me back to that time and I recall sitting in the bleachers and hearing it play for the first time there.

Then Fame became one of my favorite songs.

I never did get into Ziggy or Alladin Sane but I loved the Thin White Duke.

Well the saying is they always go in threes

desertangel Guest
    It does seem so surreal. I am gutted too, had a hard day. Teary eyed. Heroes hurts to listen to.

Access Hollywood just said he had 6 heart attacks. In true death hag form, and to try and find closure, I find myself trying to put pieces together. The cause of death was liver cancer according to wiki. I learned when my dad died of it, there are not many ways one can die of primary liver cancer outside of liver damage caused by a virus or alcohol. David Jones, the person, seemed rather private. We may never know how he contracted the cancer. Some of the drug treatments for hepatitis are very hard on the heart and kidneys, which is likely what got Natalie Cole. I have to wonder if David chose death with dignity. My dad looked horrible in his last days. I mean no disrespect here, I am simply trying to process the loss.

The world has lost a tremendous talent. He gave us so much. RIP My dear Starman. We will miss you for the rest of our days.

Worst death of my life to date since Kurt Cobain. RIP David. I am thankful to be a person who has learned music from before my time. I have posted about 8 Bowie vids on my Facebook already, and I can't stop. He was so awesome.

Stunningly beautiful photographs, along with a lovely article about David, Iman, and their daughter Lexi... excellent and interesting read:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...earn-live.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300B3C7500000578-3394835-image-a-7_1452557299098.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	53279   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300B3CCF00000578-0-image-a-1_1452557019580.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	53280   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300B3D0500000578-3394835-image-a-15_1452557441410.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	53281  
    Last edited by Cynful; 01-11-2016 at 08:31 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

desertangel Guest
    Thank you for the link. Makes me want to give up my morning latte. Even more confused on how he came down with liver cancer. Sounds like he lived a healthy lifestyle the last 10 years or so.

desertangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Worst death of my life to date since Kurt Cobain. RIP David. I am thankful to be a person who has learned music from before my time. I have posted about 8 Bowie vids on my Facebook already, and I can't stop. He was so awesome.
    Am totally feeling your pain... Feel like I lost a friend. Showing my age, but he was big when I was in high school, have been a fan since. Hitting me hard, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post
    Hate to bring her up to you die hard fans, but Angie Bowie has been one of the housemates on Celebrity Big Brother - UK. The season's show only started about five days ago, but she's been talking about him. Apparently she hasn't seen him in decades and really doesn't/didn't think too highly about him and their son, Duncan, apparently hates Angie and she hasn't spoken to him in years either. Anyway, since the housemates don't know what's going on in the world, Big Brother had to tell her about his passing. They didn't show that on television but they showed a clip of what to expect tomorrow night and true to her form, she will manipulate the other housemates into being nice to her over his passing, even though like I said, they didn't even like one another.

RIP David.
    Angie Bowie is nothing but a hypocritical bitch in my opinion. If you believe her then he was nothing without her. Yes, maybe she helped him but he was the one who wrote the records and still managed to have a brilliant career after they split and he proved her and all the doom mongers wrong in 2013 when they all claimed he was finished. I haven't heard his new album yet but The Next Day has one of his best songs ever in my opinion - Valentine's Day and could stand up with the likes of Rebel, Rebel, Life On Mars, Let's Dance etc.

I'll put money on Antagonizing Angie doing interviews as soon as she comes out and the same old crap will come up that she spins out every few years - namely about his bisexuality and whether or not he slept with Mick Jagger and so on. Just the other day she was slating him and in the past has said she loathes him so to me they are nothing but crocodile tears meant to get sympathy. If you hate someone with that passion then why keep his name...I'll tell you why so you can stay relevant. If she had been genuinly upset then she should have went into the diary room or toilet where it was private but no, she does it in full view of the cameras proving everyone's point.

The only one's who truly believe her stories are those who aren't true fans of Bowie IMO. Yes, he wasn't an angel but dear god that woman could make a saint pissed. It says a lot when ever your son can't stand to be with you yet Duncan (Zowie) was photographed all the time with David and when he couldn't be with him they would be on Skype.

It annoys me that a lot of media is going on about her yet they have hardly mentioned Iman, Alexandria or Duncan. It's been over 40 years since they split and I don't think they've seen each other since so maybe she should let it go. I can honestly say I have never heard him attack her in public, maybe in private but whenever he's been asked about her in the past...whenever anyone is asked, it's always the same answer...Angie Bowie is her own worst enemy.

I'm ranting but this is one death that has truly got to me. Don't get me wrong, anybody dying is sad and many will ask why since I didn't really know him but as I said in my earlier post, I was literally born and brought up on Bowie as my mum was and still is a mega fan and she has passed it on to me while my sister can't stand him. Without getting all maudlin, I had a crappy childhood and my only sanctuary was locking myself in my room and listening to David and Stevie Nicks to cheer me up and now he's dead it does feel like a friend has died to me.

The only true consolation if you can call it that is he will finally be with his mum and Terry now.

Picture reportedly taken this past Friday, 2 days before his death:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bowie.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	53282

Hardly looks gravely ill; I guess you just never know.

This was truly one of the best kept secrets in Hollywood. I just posted the same pics to my FB. This just came out of nowhere, but I guess everyone deserves their privacy.

A unique talent that will be missed. RIP, David

Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do. This is Major Tom to Ground Control.

Quote Originally Posted by atomicbettie View Post
    Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do. This is Major Tom to Ground Control.
    The commander of the Int'l Space Station posted a video tribute to Bowie singing Space Oddity. He may not have the best voice but I really liked it and it left me in tears.

I am beyond sad at the loss of David Bowie

His last photos taken 3 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Leasie View Post
    The commander of the Int'l Space Station posted a video tribute to Bowie singing Space Oddity. He may not have the best voice but I really liked it and it left me in tears.
    I watched that too and think I posted it to my FB page, I loved it as well. Very awesome.

You should put those in the last photos thread, this one will probably be closed soon and these are great pictures. Unbelievable he died just a couple days later.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Thanks for that. I was wondering what type of cancer it was. Not that it really matters. All cancer sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Another FABULOUS article.... inside the 23 marriage of David and Iman.... just extraordinary. Wow....this is lovely... How wonderful that they were able to have the privacy they wanted and needed as a couple and as a family in life, and were able to maintain that privacy during his illness. RIP David Jones.... RIP David Bowie.... you were truly loved.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/rel...80510e46f193ef

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061e766893022149f2a7c53fb5d4fdf0.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	53284   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c3ac152b75181f8674429f46dfb611fc.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	53285  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Casper, I love you so much baby boy... waking up with you in the house is a blessing every day! Thank you for filling our home and hearts with so much love, joy, laughter and ever so sweet Sammy smiles! We belong together! XOXOX

I was reading a lot about him personally and him and Iman and I really realize I underestimated him as a person, in favor of his public persona, but he really seems like a wonderful, gentle soul. The articles about him and Iman show that, and the video of him on MTV in '83 asking why they don't play more black artists really show his wonderful soul.

Quote Originally Posted by McCourt View Post

RIP David.
    Did you see last nights show?
    You couldn't write stuff like that. I've never seen anything so ridiculous.
    Angie telling Tiffany "David is dead", and the girl thought she meant David Guest (also in there with them), she nearly keeled over herself! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Poor Bowie, I don't know how he put up with that woman for ten years.

Quote Originally Posted by Torious View Post
    Angie telling Tiffany "David is dead", and the girl thought she meant David Guest (also in there with them), she nearly keeled over herself! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

OMG Yes!!! I knew as soon as I saw Angie in the diary room with two of the male housemates that she was going to milk David's death for all it was worth and she manipulated the shit out of the entire house trying to make them feel sorry for her and go easy on her because of the death but man o man did she play it to the hilt. She should be ASHAMED of herself for what she's doing. She doesn't even care about him, as evidenced by the fact that she's remaining in the house but why hasn't ONE person noticed she hasn't even mentioned her son - not ONCE. She pretends to be sad for herself but I'm sure their son actually does miss David and is sad that he died.

I still can't believe how the house turned on Tiffany so quick. I hate to think its racial but John did mention that he thought she was only trying to get an extra plate of chicken. That's pretty bad.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

Ksiezna Guest

Unhappy

I'm heartbroken, Bowie was my favourite singer but I haven't been able to listen to his music ever since the news of his death broke, it just makes me too sad. RIP Starman.

Quote Originally Posted by Torious View Post

Angie's career for nearly 4 decades has been nothing more than being the ex wife of David. I've been seeing her pop up in the talk show circuit for ions playing her poor me act. Last time I ever took the time to hear what nonsense she was going to talk about, was on the old Joan Rivers show. Joan couldn't get her to spill on something that she earlier told her she was going talk about. Finally, Howard Stern came on and got Angie to say what she was going to say: She caught David and Mick Jagger in bed together. Then Joan called Angie a bitch for egging Joan on the whole time. I laughed my ass off. I then no longer wanted to her Angie's crap anymore. I'm sure Bowie had a ton of stuff he could have spilled about Angie, but seemed to take the high road, while Angie took her victim act for anyone who would pay her. She is nothing more than a nasty piece of shit.
    Cindy

I honestly don't think I have anything left to be happy about. He had been my rock star since 1973. Tears and more tears.

Low key cremation. I think it would be cool if they sent a small bit of his ashes to the ISS.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

desertangel Guest
    Rumour has it the liver cancer was metastic from the lungs . Anyone else heard this? He used to smoke back in the day, seen some video. Any guesses?

Xiroi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynful View Post
    I had never seen this pic. And such beautiful couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ksiezna View Post
    I'm heartbroken, Bowie was my favourite singer but I haven't been able to listen to his music ever since the news of his death broke, it just makes me too sad. RIP Starman.
    Welcome to the forum, Ksiezna.

Yeah - I don't think I've been as saddened by the sudden passing of an artist since Lennon was murdered. For whatever reason, one of my favorites performances of his was the Berlin concert in 2002; particularly "Heroes". Don't know why, so much of his stuff was just great; but I really like that one.

For anyone who hasn't seen it - or seen it lately; here it is:

https://youtu.be/bsYp9q3QNaQ

I'd say that if some artists are special, he was special among them.

doing drugs, alcohol, getting certain cancers etc...is a roulette wheel imo. my gramma smoked for yearsssss until she was 80, but my mom and her brothers died under 70. some ppl are lucky i guess...i.e.keith richards

Is he being cremated? The hateful Christians said they would picket his funeral. I went to the David Bowie Is exhibit a year ago in November, saw his diamond encrusted coke spoon and lots of other stuff. The puppet from Saturday Night Live, with the pop-out of the pants part was there too. So many things. I just feel so bad for his 15 year old daughter, probably because I lost my father when I was that age.

seems he was in remission but the cancer came back in November and he died suddenly

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sion-year.html

desertangel Guest
    Wow! My dad went quickly too once the cancer took hold and was in a coma for several days before passing away. My neighbor was completely coherent before he passed. Everyone is different. Sad that it was in remission and he was writing songs. Wonder if they will see the light of day or if any vault material will surface.

Aluminum Foil Guest
    I cannot believe I haven't heard much about the possibility of this being a hoax. Granted, highly unlikely. But the secrecy...the quick death....Lazarus (who rises from death)...the very quick and dirty cremation...etc. lends a certain amount of suspicion for me anyway. When can we expect to see the death cert? I expect no autopsy was performed.

That said, imagine the fascinating events that could unfold with a hoax. Under the guise of dipping into the vault for new recordings, Bowie could continue to record for years and years with some secrecy and a few cohorts. Weird public "sightings". All sorts of internet mayhem.

Any thoughts?

Xiroi Guest
    I found this on my FB feed, which I find interesting:

""When I found out the name of Bowie's new album, the first thing I thought of was this old Elvis song. I'm convinced Bowie was referencing this song. The lyrics are too perfectly appropriate for his situation. Check them out."

Every man has a black star
    A black star over his shoulder
    And when a man sees his black star
    He knows his time, his time has come
    Black star don't shine on me, black star
    Black star keep behind me, black star
    There's a lot of livin' I gotta do
    Give me time to make a few dreams come true, black star
    When I ride I feel that black star
    That black star over my shoulder
    So I ride in front of that black star
    Never lookin' around, never lookin' around
    One fine day I'll see that black star
    And when I see that old black star
    I'll know my time, my time has come

Elvis Presley - Black Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UHZ_62GCI

Edit. This seems to be the original link to the article: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/b...sm_eats_itself

Last edited by Xiroi; 01-15-2016 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum Foil View Post
    I cannot believe I haven't heard much about the possibility of this being a hoax. Granted, highly unlikely. But the secrecy...the quick death....Lazarus (who rises from death)...the very quick and dirty cremation...etc. lends a certain amount of suspicion for me anyway. When can we expect to see the death cert? I expect no autopsy was performed.

That said, imagine the fascinating events that could unfold with a hoax. Under the guise of dipping into the vault for new recordings, Bowie could continue to record for years and years with some secrecy and a few cohorts. Weird public "sightings". All sorts of internet mayhem.

Any thoughts?
    He's dead.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by cindyt View Post
    He's dead.
    Either that, or he's just hanging out with Elvis, Amelia Earhart and Andy Kaufman - you know, waiting for the right time to pop up and say, "Just kidding!"

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Either that, or he's just hanging out with Elvis, Amelia Earhart and Andy Kaufman - you know, waiting for the right time to pop up and say, "Just kidding!"
    You forgot Jim Morrison. And Brandon Lee.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

desertangel Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluminum Foil View Post

Any thoughts?
    Im usually the one wearing that hat, but in this case, I think he is probably dead. My thoughts; at first, I thought, much like the "killing off" of Ziggy, maybe David Jones killed off Bowie because nobody looked happy in any of the photos Ive seen of him and his daughter. One reason to kill off DB, to seek a life with more soltitude? Supposedly he turned over a new leaf for a healthy lifestyle after she was born 15 years ago. How could he end up with liver cancer? Afterall, he has always been one of the best at creating his own "screenplays" and actors.

But... Something I saw in that video told me something was very wrong with him. I am usually pretty good at reading these kinds of things in some people. And it is just like him to "engineer" his own departure in the way he has. The report about him writing songs up to the end doesnt surprise me. He wasn't ready to go and leave the two loves of his life. My dad stripped the kitchen floor not long before he died.

I dont believe that one picture was taken three days before he died.

I think his genetics, including anxiety and who knows what else, along with his past lifestyle choices, caught up with him, he got sick and died. Been watching old videos and reading biographies to get an idea of the person.

Its a fair thing to wonder, given his status.

Aluminum Foil Guest

Black Star Elvis!

This is spooky and fantastic! Thanks for the find!

It's weird though...the music for the Elvis song is
    so happy and carefree.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiroi View Post
    I found this on my FB feed, which I find interesting:

""When I found out the name of Bowie's new album, the first thing I thought of was this old Elvis song. I'm convinced Bowie was referencing this song. The lyrics are too perfectly appropriate for his situation. Check them out."

Every man has a black star
    A black star over his shoulder
    And when a man sees his black star
    He knows his time, his time has come
    When I ride I feel that black star
    So I ride in front of that black star
    Never lookin' around, never lookin' around
    One fine day I'll see that black star
    And when I see that old black star
    I'll know my time, my time has come

Elvis Presley - Black Star

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_UHZ_62GC
    I

Edit. This seems to be the original link to the article: http://dangerousminds.net/comments/b...sm_eats_itself

Tinse Guest
    I just read this entry on a local excellent Montreal blog, Coolopolis.

David Bowie's Mysterious Montreal Biographer

There is a lot of interesting Bowie trivia featured in the post.

Good find, thanks.

He was such an awesome singer. I didn't know a lot of his work, but the songs I knew, I loved. He will be missed.

desertangel Guest
    There seems to be no shortage of books on the subject and several written fairly recently, which I find an interesting factoid. Kind of like Hendrix. Im downloading Kindle samples because Im cheap and don't have a lot of extra time. I enjoyed reading the article link above.

Not long ago, for some reason, maybe prompted by songs heard on some Pandora channel, I listed all my fave DB songs to see which albums to buy since I never converted them to CDs in my collection. I pretty much came up with just all the radio-played songs; then Ziggy, Low and Lets Dance for entire albums.

He was a great entertainer and immensly talented. I loved Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. What a gift his life was.

I think a big part of the successful secrecy was only telling a VERY small group of people, and even though they were people who worked with him as David Bowie, they were truly friends with David Jones. Just like that Iman quote she fell in love with David Jones, David Bowie was just a persona. He might have been hard core into drugs but in the years since he married Iman and had his daughter he was a completely different, very private person. He'd walk his daughter to school every day. He took his wife and daughter to London to show them his childhood after he found out. David Jones was so unassuming that no one recognized him. I just think he kept his persona and his real life so far that he truly knew who he could trust until the end, and he was pretty much right.