Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie

David Bowie

I'm in shock that someone that was a huge part of the soundtrack of my childhood has passed. Loved Labyrinth.

RIP to a massive talent.

Music legend David Bowie dies
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35278872

I'm totally speechless. One of my all time favorite people...I'm in shock.
    'It's a vertical hold/the things that you're told/for the everyday hero, it all turns to zero'-- Drowse

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Little Chief Guest
    I am devastated. R.I.P

Holy smokes!
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

luckyinlove Guest
    I didn't even know he was sick

6. 01-10-2016, 11:44 PM

steve6 Guest

as they say.....

... in the public schools, nobody ain't gettin' no younger. This guy was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyinlove View Post
    I didn't even know he was sick

first Lemmy, now david. hope he's singing "the man who sold the world" with kurt tonight.
    "if you need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first" Kurt Cobain

[SIGPIC] http://phineas4cobain.tumblr.com/post/36392280360 [/SIGPIC]

steve6 Guest
    Christ. I saw him in Anaheim back in around '78 and again in the early '80s. Of course, I loved Ziggy, but the guy could do so much more.

I really, really, really liked this album:

[SIZE=2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyVjdQXNs9s
    [/SIZE]

Plus, from all I ever garnered (loved James Garner too), Bowie was one of the truly nice people in show biz.

Goddamit!

Quote Originally Posted by steve6 View Post
    ... in the public schools, nobody ain't gettin' no younger. This guy was terrific.
    Last edited by steve6; 01-11-2016 at 12:05 AM. Reason: grammar

steve6 Guest
    same tour https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hDbpF4Mvkw

I truly hate it when this happens.

11. 01-11-2016, 12:22 AM

Totally gutted too.
    Cindy

steve6 Guest
    I had the same thought, almost the same words, when Carl Wilson passed........."soundtrack of my youth," I thought. It really is true. As in, would I have been the same without the Beach Boys blaring from the flimsy radio of my Rambler? It just sucks when this happens. It sucks to get old.

RIP to one of the true greats of rock and pop.

RIP from Baalin Betty aswell.
    My profile picture and avatar are pictures of the lovely Agnetha Fältskog from ABBA, not me. I am a man, and an admirer of her. Friend proposers take note!

Damn. I have been listening to him since 1972. I am feeling a bit stunned. RIP.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Still feels unreal. Just back from the school run having a cup of tea.
    I was sitting on the sofa this morning having my coffee and just looked up and thought it was some weird film or something. I even put the channel number into my remote again to check it was bbc news.

I try to make them stop but the tears keep coming. The world lost a legend....again. Weiland...Lemmy...now Bowie. There are no words.
    Prayers for his family, friends, and fans throughout the world. May we all find comfort in the music and the movies he left behind.

RIP David Bowie

ETA: I just found this article. I feel so badly for Iman.
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/11/iman-a...death-5614682/
    Last edited by Zoe_Zeppelin; 01-11-2016 at 01:49 AM.
    [SIGPIC]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c389/Zoe_Zeppelin/Zepsig1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Oh no!! I can't believe it. Just can't. Starman.........

I really couldn't believe it and I'm not sure how I found out about it. It feels so unreal.

This feels so unreal. I am having trouble believing it. RIP Good Sir....I, like so many others, feel like we grew up with you,
    To my Father. Even though you have crossed the plane, you will always be with me.
    You were not just my Father, but my hero. My life has been a poor attempt to be like you
    You taught me music, vocals, and how to fight. I can only hope I am half the man you are
    When I close my eyes I can see you. And finally, Thank you Dad. for everything.
    March 1934-July 2016

His last video released last week is wonderful and kinda makes you think he knew he was about to go

RIP Ziggy...

No no no no no no no no no.

I can't think or say anything else.

very sad to hear this. was a true icon in days where there are none. RIP

Last edited by HeyJude; 01-11-2016 at 09:32 AM.

He did a great job of keeping his cancer a secret. This just came out of nowhere. So sad. LOVED Him. Saw him in concert back in '87 for his Glass Spider show (with Peter Frampton on guitar!). The Hunger is my favorite movie of his, along with Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. Been listening to his "Young Americans" album this morning since I saw the news on my FB feed upon waking this morning.

RIP

I'm completely heartbroken. He was like a close friend I had since I was a child. Rest in Peace, David.
    Last edited by Schultz; 01-11-2016 at 05:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I believe he passed from liver cancer. Yes, in the few pictures, he looked like he lost some weight, looked a little frail, .
    but he still looked handsome to me. He is one person who has been in my life since 1972 and his music will always play on in my book. Thank God for you tube. Rest in eternal peace and pleasure David. Its' going to take a long time to get over this death!

Like a punch in the gut, such sad news. We'll always have his music at least. Farewell legend.

Farewell, Major Tom.
    Everyone must die but not everyone has lived

Crap, just crap. I was lucky to see him in concert in 77 or 78

RIP

I can't believe it, what a shock ! One of my all time faves, his music was a big part of my life. I am stunned by this. RIP. Sir
    Today you could be standing next to someone who is trying their best not to fall apart. So whatever you do today, do it with kindness.

Forever-27 Guest
    I never saw the talent in anything he did from his music to the movies I just didn't see anything there. But wow 3 singers in 3 weeks. Lemmy , then natile Cole now Bowie. Wow death is making rounds

Such sad sad news.
    My childhood revolved around Labyrinth.
    We have lost a true legend.

His ex wife Angie is currently in Celebrity Big Brother here, she has been informed off-camera and has decided to remain in the house.

My mum became a fan in the late 60s and I was born in 1981 so I was truly brought up on David and i have to admit there were tears in my eyes when I was listening to Five Years today.

I know it's cliche to say you are shocked when you hear someone dies but this is one case where it's true. Looking back now at him being in the bed in the Lazarus video and some of the tweets from Iman make more sense but it's still hits you like a punch to the gut. Yes he was thin but he's always been like that so it didn't really raise any alarms.

Not much else can be said that others haven't apart from it just sucks. The word star is used too flippantly these days but he truly was one and will always be remembered.

Rest in Peace David, you made a crappy childhood bearable.

Xiroi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyJude View Post
    No no no no no no no no no.

I can't think or say anything else.
    Same here. I've just found out and I'm totally in shock. All I thought of was coming here to double check but it's all over the news. No, no, no.

last photo from Dec 7/2015 - didn't look that bad

Isn't the song "Angie" by Mick Jagger about Bowie's ex-wife? David was one of the best....damn this really is surreal. Loved all his music...RIP David.
    Last edited by triccelli; 01-11-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Tinse Guest
    I am devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by Forever-27 View Post
    I never saw the talent in anything he did from his music to the movies I just didn't see anything there. But wow 3 singers in 3 weeks. Lemmy , then natile Cole now Bowie. Wow death is making rounds
    He just wasn't my cup of tea. I was into lynyrd skynyrd, the Beatles, Three Dog Night, Steppenwolf, etc., and could not get into Hunger or--was it, The Man Who Fell to Earth. But as you say, three singers in a row. Unspeakable.
    GOD IS NOT DEAD

Rest In Peace David Bowie. <3 This is weird, it feels weird that he's not here.

PurrPurr Guest
    Another piece of my adolescence gone. RIP

Tinse Guest
    I was just reading a post in a local blog that I follow. It's interesting.

David Bowie's Mysterious Montreal Biographer

navallint Guest
    RIP you will be missed

I was up till 0500 listening to some of his older music. Not too long ago I watched the "Lazarus" video. It's him saying Goodbye. Kind of tore me a new one.
    Stay in Drugs. Eat your School. Don't do Vegetables.

Just watched his new video yesterday, thinking "That's kind of different" only to wake up this morning to find out he's gone...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

One of my friends adores Bowie, grew up on his music. Another one of my friends DM'ed me on Twitter last night telling me Bowie was dead. (Just a few weeks ago her and I were lamenting about Scott Weiland the night he passed..talking about how the greats were dying off) I didn't see that message until after I already read the news.

I didn't see the news until this morning on a soap board of all places. Shocked.

Loved the guy's music when I was in my early 20s..went through a huge Bowie phase. But, to be honest. I haven't listened to it much recently (Other than Space Oddity because they play it on the radio station I listen to constantly) But, spinning Let's Dance right now because I love the whole album.

He was a freaking legend. Cancer sucks. Still cannot believe that Keith Richards outlived Bowie. Trying to wrap my head around that one.
    Last edited by Dr. Fishhead; 01-11-2016 at 03:20 PM.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

First Lemmy, now Bowie? (not to diminish the death of Weiland but I wasn't as big of a fan) Ugh. Can my childhood stop dying please? I was lucky enough to see Bowie live in 1990.

Oh and Dr. Fishhead, Keith Richards will outlive us all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keith Richards will be leading a cockroach army to victory over the cyborgs after a nuclear attack. LOL.
    You robbed an international house of pancakes. How waffle-Harry T. Stone

Twitter: @rchamberlain87 Follow me if you want. Just play nice.

Only the good die young....

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fishhead View Post
    Keith Richards will be leading a cockroach army to victory over the cyborgs after a nuclear attack. LOL.
    Keith Richards is proof that drugs won't kill you. Apparently, you can do so many drugs that they won't kill you, they just preserve you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

OMG say it isn't so. I grew up listening to him, my mom played his music alot and Labyrinth is my all time fave. Didn't know he was even ill. Fair well Goblin King, Jareth.

Last edited by pkstracy; 01-11-2016 at 04:22 PM.