Thread: Steven Avery trial/Teresa Halbach murder (Making a Murderer)

Steven Avery trial/Teresa Halbach murder (Making a Murderer)

Who is watching the Netflix series, Making a Murderer? So did Steven Avery kill Teresa Halbach? Manitowoc county is one county below me (the Avery salvage yard where the murder took place is about 30 minutes south of me) and it was obviously a HUGE story around here. I have a good friend that lives down there and I drive right passed it on the way to her houseâ?¦ anyway... I never doubted his guilt from the very beginning. Really as soon as Teresa came missing I thought he did it.
    I'm only half way through the series (I would be finished, but I'm watching it with my mother so I have to wait for her! Lol), and although there were a couple things that made me go "hmmmm, I didn't know that", I still don't doubt his guilt. The only thing I question is the degree of Brendens involvement...
    Missing my Pa every day. RIP Daddy ❤️♥️

“Get drunk and sing Elvira”

I'm watching it. I haven't made up my mine about his guilt, however, I don't think the prosecution presented enough evidence to get a guilty verdict and there's a lot of fishy stuff going on with that police dept.

The series is heavily biased in the direction of the defendant, much like those Paradise Lost films. This article talks a little about what was left out:

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-d...making--230224
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I agree that the docu is totally biased (like I said I'm only half way through, so I haven't even heard most of what they have to say about the trial). The story around here is that the producers tried to talk to the prosecutors to get their side, and they declined... Maybe they will come back whith their own side of the story? I dont know.....

ktkatinmn Guest
    LOL! I haven't heard of this case, and I have not watched the Docu...maybe I will, maybe I wont.

Funny that if you hop over to TMZ, there are a lot of 'celebrities' calling for this guys release. Pleaing to Obama to give him a Presidential Pardon.

Are people really so stupid that they believe 1 documentary will tell all of the facts with no bias, and base their decision to defend a convicted murder on only that one documentary? I am willing to bet that these 'celebrities' had never heard of the case before the hype of the documentary. And I am willing to bet they have not Googled the story for more information.

If he did kill her in his bedroom, as his nephew said they did, where is the blood? There would have been traces of blood and blood on the mattress, when they found her Rav 4, there was her blood in the back, why would he put her body in the back of the rav four and when the burn barrel was just a few yards away? Why wasn't her DNA found on the car key, but only his was? Then again, she went there, he was the last person to see her, her vehicle was found partially hidden at the Auto Salvage, parts of her body was found burned near his home, and parts of her found in a burn barrel near his nephew's place. I think the nephew saw what was going on and helped dispose of the body but I don't think he did anything. I did watch the docu on netflix, and I am not using that as the source of all my information. To me it looked like the nephew was coerced in his confession.

I hadn't heard of the case, either, but am watching the documentary series now. I'm on the fourth episode now. The first crime, the rape, I don't doubt his innocence. DNA finally proved that. As for Teresa...I don't know. There's a lot of evidence saying Steven did it, with or without Brendan.
    "Tequila may not be the answer, but it's worth a shot."

"I just go here!"

"I am not psychic. I AM psychotic. BIG difference."

I watched it all and won't reveal any details, but I am really torn on this one. So many things say he did it, and so many say he didn't.

Steven Avery claims his own two brothers may have killed Teresa Halbach -- especially one who he says had a history of harassing women at the exact location where Teresa was last seen. Avery filed legal docs -- obtained by TMZ -- in which he claims brothers Earl and Charles may have done the deed for which he's serving a life sentence. He says both have a history of sexually assaulting women. Earl once pled no contest to sexually assaulting his 2 daughters.
    According to the docs, which Steven filed in 2009 after his conviction, brother Charles' criminal conduct and actions are even more problematic. He was charged with sexually assaulting his wife by holding her down and trying to strangle her with a phone cord before having intercourse with her.

jackson3488 Guest
    I personally believe he's innocent I seen the doc and there was no evidence to really prove him guilty even down to his Nephew and his confession you could see that for one the young man was slow and the cops took full advantage of that . I also just read this morning a lot of the jurors were family members of a lot of the people involved in this case . I know for an actual fact a lot of crooked stuff takes place in those rural areas with those good Ole boys network . Once I started getting into the doc I knew something wasn't right . Just like that DA was his brother in laws lawyer at one point in time. They have no evidence on this guy anything they used you can clearly see was planted. The sad part is they stopped at him so this young lady's killer basically got away with murder.

I have no doubt there's some corruption, but that said, I believe Steven or someone in that family is guilty of her murder. The documentary is hardly an unbiased account of the whole thing. It's compelling television, but I wouldn't form an opinion based solely on that. If you read what wasn't put in to the series, it's not so cut & dry.

Would i, as a juror convicted him? Probably not, based on what constitutes reasonable doubt. Do I personally think he's innocent? No.

As far as true crime miniseries go, I personally feel The Jinx & The Staircase surpass this one.
    Last edited by sfcitygirl; 01-08-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Donnie Whalberg's blog on his reaction to the documentary. He is an extremely smart man, and his reaction is spot on...
    http://splash.suntimes.com/2016/01/0...ing-a-murderer

Also, let's not forget the real victim in all this... Teresa.
    http://wbay.com/2016/01/07/friends-o...t-her-killers/

Alec Baldwin interviews the filmmakers - good stuff.

https://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/566233

I had heard of this documentary in passing, but I never really knew what it was about. My husband and I decided to try Netflix, and this popped up, so we watched the first couple episodes. Hubby got impatient, so He looked up the case and wanted to watch the last episode. So, I'll have to go back and watch 4-9.

Some things are still on my mind about this case.

If you had spent 18 years in prison for something you didn't do, why risk going back again? Why wait until you are in the middle of a lawsuit that you stand to gain substantial financial gain from, and then screw it up? Maybe he got out and found he couldn't function outside of prison? Maybe he loved all the attention he got the first time, and thought he could stage a 'wrongful conviction' again? They never really presented a possible motive.

I find it odd that it took investigators 7 days to find the Rav4 keys in a trailer, and the ones who found it just happened to be part of the wrongful conviction deposition that was going on at the time. From what I've seen, all of the "missing evidence" talk is from the prosecutor, and is pretty much par for the course.

I'm really on the fence on this one. The documentary definitely plays to people's fear of a corrupted system, to the point you almost want to believe Avery was set up. "See I told ya!"

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Alec Baldwin interviews the filmmakers - good stuff.

https://www.wnyc.org/radio/#/ondemand/566233
    Interesting. I was also creeped out by Teresa's brother, Mike. He didn't seem to be genuinely in grief over his sister's passing. Her ex-boyfriend seems suspicious as well.

There was a protest the other week at the courthouse... http://wbay.com/2016/01/28/manitowoc...avery-protest/. I saw them talking to one of the people that organized it on the news the day write, and she said that people were supposed to be coming from all over. It's kinda crazy to me that my little neck of the woods is getting so much attention because of this. I never really thought that this documentary would become so huge.....
    There was also a bomb threat made to the courthouse the other day in reference to all this http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...reat/79795410/
    i still think he's guilty......

If people only watch the documentary they're going to believe he's innocent because that's how its edited. He did it.
    To understand the living, you got to commune with the dead.
    Minerva

It surprised me that the jurors or Prosecution was not, is not easier on the teenage boy considering the evidence is there that he was forced to talk by the investigators and since he has a low IQ... I would think things would go easier for him somewhat
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    It surprised me that the jurors or Prosecution was not, is not easier on the teenage boy considering the evidence is there that he was forced to talk by the investigators and since he has a low IQ... I would think things would go easier for him somewhat
    That boy and his momma have a very odd relationship. I can't explain it. I also laughed my ass off listening to their telephone conversations from jail. They say "hello" and "yeah hello" about 10 times every phone call in that horrible, horrible Wisconsin accent. Every time I hear that accident I get down on my knees and thank the Lord my family moved to California before I started talking. LOL
    Minerva

mommas boy or not you know he is not fully "retarded" but if a person's IQ is low and he has emotional issues, he is saying what the police are making him say, then is convicted.... that is a sign of something not right with our justice system perhaps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany View Post
    mommas boy or not you know he is not fully "retarded" but if a person's IQ is low and he has emotional issues, he is saying what the police are making him say, then is convicted.... that is a sign of something not right with our justice system perhaps.
    There are all kinds of things wrong with our justice system; however, I don't think any child should be answering questions without a parent or attorney in the room. That's just wrong regardless of a child's IQ. That having been said, I think he was honest in what he saw even though there are times when police have been able to absolutely engineer an entire confession. I think this case has some serious issues, but I'm not sure they rise to the level of tossing out convictions. I truly believe they're both guilty and I honestly don't think that all this attention is going to set anyone free. Look at all the West Memphis 3 media and it took forever to get those boys released and they were actually innocent.
    Minerva

22. 02-09-2016, 10:46 PM
    Reason
    Posted by StewartGilliganGriffin in the guise of Donald_J_Trump is now banned

I am also on the fence about his guilt, although he is far from being a prince of a man. The biggest question is the lack of blood evidence in the area's Dassey said she was stabbed/shot. Also, Theresa is seen in a recent photo before her death holding a set of multiple keys, and yet when the Sheriff's department finally discover the key it's only one...and none of her DNA, that just doesn't make sense to me. It should get interesting now that Catherine Zellner is involved...
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Teresa Halbach's death certificate is a mess

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...n_9394068.html

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    Teresa Halbach's death certificate is a mess

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...n_9394068.html
    Wow... how did the coroner even get away with that sloppiness?
    By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next.
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by Dangitbawb View Post
    Wow... how did the coroner even get away with that sloppiness?
    Apparently, they get away with a lot in Mantiwoc.

I drove passed the salvage yard today on my way to my friends house. I was driving so you can't hardly see that the sign says "Avery Salvage & Towing" and you can barely any buildings. You can see cars, and (I think) Dasseys house from the road. Again I'm always driving, and I've honestly never really tried to see what I could of the property before, but I was trying to look this time. I could see Dasseys house, but couldn't tell if Stevens trailer was still there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	53710  
    Last edited by SassyMonkey719; 04-27-2016 at 05:34 PM.

Am I the only one who felt Making of A Murderer was seriously overrated? I know people totally binge watched it, but for me, it was beyond tedious... And I typically enjoy the true crime stories & love documentary film.

Quote Originally Posted by sfcitygirl View Post
    Am I the only one who felt Making of A Murderer was seriously overrated? I know people totally binge watched it, but for me, it was beyond tedious... And I typically enjoy the true crime stories & love documentary film.
    No, you're not the only one. I feel he's guilty but I don't think we've seen the scene of the crime
    Minerva

Does anyone have any insight as to why they think he's guilty?

I need to watch this. I haven't done so yet. I will go into it cautious though simply because a documentary can be twisted to one view point. I've read a few articles showing things the series allegedly left out, so I'm interested to take a look.

KillingFloor,

I haven't watched it yet either, but after hearing so much about it I basically looked up some of the stuff that the documentary left out, because I had heard the same things SRV Fan had. I'm still on the fence, to be honest, but I have found enough that I think he could have done it. I thiink I listened to a few podcasts about it, too. Not the best research, of course, but when I sought out to find out "the full story" because of rumors that the documentary was possibly skewed, it's what I found. I wish I had some links and stuff for you, but that's just in general, why I think it's a possibility he did it. Now Im going to do more research though, your question has me interested again, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMonkey719 View Post
    Donnie Whalberg's blog on his reaction to the documentary. He is an extremely smart man, and his reaction is spot on...
    http://splash.suntimes.com/2016/01/0...ing-a-murderer

Also, let's not forget the real victim in all this... Teresa.
    http://wbay.com/2016/01/07/friends-o...t-her-killers/
    Donnie is a smart man but I question his taste in women. After all he married that batshit crazy Jennie McCarthy. I never read that blog before but it's well written and he does bring up some great points.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

^^i agree with this whole post I can't stand Jenny. I used to be obsessed with every think NKOTB, but I can hardly watch anything with them anymore because that fame whore has her skanky fame whore nose stuck in everything.

I believe Steve is guilty. He has a history of violent behavior, and I think maybe if he wouldn't have been in prison for the rape all those years that he would have been in for a violent crime of some sort anyway. Also, there's the thing about people who have spent an extended amount of time behind bars getting used to it and wanting to go back? Perhaps it was a combination of that and wanting all the attention (and maybe money, although he really didn't end up getting a whole lot) that he got from the first 'wrongful conviction' case...
    Last edited by SassyMonkey719; 05-11-2016 at 09:31 PM.

Town Without Pity Guest
    Another one sitting on the fence.....just don't know.

Dassey's conviction overturned!
    --William Shakespeare!

Quote Originally Posted by pkstracy View Post
    FYI he's still in jail. The prosecution tried a last ditch effort to have him retained as they said it would be dangerous to Teresa's family for him to be released but the judge just turned it down. He will be released by the end of the week now.

There is a new season on Netflix. It seems like there is not a lot new in it, although to be fair I am only on the second episode.
    Sincerely yours,
    Upset

I just started this too. I'm really interested in seeing how this pans out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wisconsin inmate confesses to infamous ‘Making a Murderer’ slay: report

https://nypost.com/2019/09/23/wiscon...r-slay-report/

44. 09-23-2019, 06:33 PM